Start by marking “The Snow Queen (Five Hundred Kingdoms, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Snow Queen (Five Hundred Kingdoms, #4)

The Snow Queen (Five Hundred Kingdoms #4)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  7,115 Ratings  ·  303 Reviews
Aleksia, Queen of the Northern Lights, is mysterious, beautiful and widely known to have a heart of ice. No one would seek her wisdom except as a last resort. But when she's falsely accused of unleashing evil on nearby villages, she realizes there's an impostor out there far more heartless than she could ever be.

And when a young warrior following the Tradition disappears,

Published May 20th 2008 by Luna Books (first published January 1st 2008)

Anne
Feb 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Kinda torn on this one.
It was good...but not. I'm starting to notice a pattern with the Five Hundred Kingdoms series, and I don't know if this is just Lackey's particular style, or if it just happens in these particular books.
Two words: Abrupt Ending.
There's all this build-up to some (supposedly) spectacular showdown, and then its just...over.
Ta-da!
* balloon deflates *

So far, the build-up itself is good enough to keep me coming back for more of her stories, though.

The only other thing I want t
Susana

DNF at 67%

I give up. Although the novel started out promising enough, it didn't take long for it to become incredibly boring with long and tedious descriptions of food, clothes and everything else that we don't see the main character doing.
I just don't care.
There were some scenes in which a character is sexually harassed, and later on, we readers find out that the main character gave some magical "directions" to delay her and another character; the gist of it being "not too much bad things happe
Rebecca
Dec 13, 2008 rated it it was ok
Mercedes Lackey is very much my guilty pleasures, as I think I've mentioned before. Because of that, I'll read pretty much everything she rolls out with, even though lately I've been kind of disappointed.

The Five Hundred Kingdom books have been uneven. The first one, Fairy Godmother, was great. The second, One Good Knight, was bloody terrible, but the series has been improving again, with Fortune's Fool genuinely different and unique. This was another new twist on an old story, and the writing s
Leah
Jan 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
I'm a HUGE fan of fantasy fluff and this completely fit the bill. I love books I can easily read, end happily ever after and leave you with that glowing, feel good happiness afterwards. Nothing deep, just lots of good fun.
Allison
I had seen lower ratings on this than on previous books in the series, so was a little worried that it wouldn't be as fun as the others were. I think I know where those were coming from, though. There's hardly any romance at all, and that was always a large part in the past. I believe it's a positive difference here, though. A romance honestly didn't fit anywhere, and Lackey didn't force the issue, so I respect her more for leaving it out.

Beyond that, this was a fantastic retelling of the Snow
Allison
I really enjoy Mercedes Lackey. She's one of my favorite authors, and I usually make it top priority to read her newest releases. Although I think this series is a bit too much...fluff, I really like how all the stories are built around fairy tales. Since the story of The Snow Queen is one of my favorites, I was anxious to read this new book in the Five Hundred Kingdoms series, but I feel that it fell short of my expectations.

I'm sure some people will argue with me, but I felt Lackey put too mu
Ronda
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Eileen
Aug 03, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
An incredibly bad book. The plot is total fantasy claptrap, which is to be expected. However, the book consistently tells instead of shows, with clumsy prose, nonexistent characterization, and a ridiculously pat ending.

Probably the worst part, though, was the abysmal pacing. You spend three pages on some stupid hunting description, and then take a sudden jump through crucial action in a few paragraphs? No. For the first half or 2/3 of the book, she just has too many little branches of plot, too
Kris
Jul 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-choice
I was so excited to find this latest book in the Five Hundred Kingdoms series by Mercedes Lackey. She is one of my favorite authors and I like the series. This one takes place in the far north, where Aleksia, the Snow Queen, is the Godmother of a very large territory. The Godmothers deal with the Tradition, which tries to shape ordinary lives into stereotypical fairy tales, many of which have unhappy endings. They try to steer the Tradition into paths which have happier endings. In this book, Al ...more
Alice
Mar 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
While not quite as good as the first 500 kingdoms book, this story is nonetheless interesting because it borrows from less familiar traditions and incorporates some elements that are new and surprising. It relies on a bit of a deus ex machina to resolve the major conflict, and the end rambles a teensy bit and diffuses some of the tension that has built up over the course of the plot in a rather unsatisfying way. But, I've read it twice already and will probably read it again. The 500 kingdoms ar ...more
Aneesa
Apr 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Some of Mercedes Lackey's books are a little more adult rated than others--and I'm never quite sure which they will be. This one was of the cleaner variety :-) and I really enjoyed the story. I'm a big fan of fantasy/fairy tale re-tellings, so that is probably why, but this was a fun book--and I've read it three times. I have to ask: What is up with Ms. Lackey's obsession with birds, and the viewpoint of a bird, including repetitive descriptions of how they hunt and eat other bird's innards? I f ...more
Julie
Aug 22, 2008 rated it liked it
I like Mercedes Lackey's idea of the "tradition" forcing people to fit into fairy tale patterns. But this was not the best book of the series for character development. I didn't care about these characters as much as the others in the series. However, I am thrilled that this one didn't have the 4 or 5 pages that you have to skip because of inappropriate content that the other ones in th 500 kingdoms series have. All in all, I liked the book.
Barbara ★
I've enjoyed the first three books in this series but this book was terribly boring. There was just way to many irrelevant details that dragged on and on and on for over half the book. The characters were flat and where the hell was the romance? There was too much telling and not enough showing. Just horrible.
Judy
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Back to her old form

Misty is back. This Godmother novel was a page turner and didn’t rush the ending like many of the latest Valdemar novel have done. This was a nice twist on Snow Queen/Ice Fairy lore. And a nice bit of Sammi culture with this romance novel.
Jul 25, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
I enjoyed the first three books in Lackey's Five Hundred Kingdoms series, but this one could have done with a firmer editor.

While the set-up and character introduction were lovely, the pacing was markedly off. Not only did the plot not get moving until qiute literally halfway through the book, but all throughout Lackey would introduce obstacles for the characters... and then resolve them immediately. We're talking within-three-pages immediately. I don't ask for much narrative tension from my flu
Gail
Feb 20, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I was so excited to get this book from the library. Lackey's books of the Five Hundred Kingdoms twist the fairy stories in interesting ways. The Five Hundred Kingdoms are guided by the Tradition, the universal energy that guides people to live out traditional folk tales and fairy tales. The Fairy Godmothers are there to help people find happiness while not [exactly:] thwarting the Tradition.

This book had all the elements of a good Lackey tale with neat magical twists. The magic of the Sammi (Lap
Emily
Jan 02, 2009 rated it liked it
I liked this book until the ending. I was a little disappointed. I didn't like guy that Lackey made as the love interest for Aleksia. Aleksia was a complex character. She doesn't deserve the shallow guy that she is ultimately hooked up with. I can't for the life of me even remember the guys name, which shows how memorable he was. Anyway, I felt that quite honestly the book could have ended with out any hookup at all. It was like Lackey was trying to make it all neat, each male character finds a ...more
K
Nov 22, 2009 rated it liked it
The Snow Queen is Lackey's spin on a fairy tale by Hans Christian Anderson; and tells the story of Aleskia the "ice fairy", known to others as the Snow Queen due to her reputation for a cold heart. When I first started reading this story, I was totally into it. It reminded me a lot of the Fairy Godmother (which I absolutely loved). However, I found myself losing interest in the story about halfway through. I can't exactly pinpoint the reason, but it began to remind me of the second book "One Goo ...more
Jenny
Jul 03, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Fourth in the Tales of the 500 Kingdoms. Aleksia is the Snow Queen and Fairy Godmother for the North. She specializes in giving arrogant young men their comeupance and guiding the Tradition into happy endings. But now someone has stolen her name and is blaming atrocities on her. Aleksia must muster the Tradition and find a way to reclaim her good name before someone hunts her down . . .
Emyrose8
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5- I really admire the way this author crafts fantasy. It's intricate with plenty of twists and turns, some familiar, some unfamiliar. The ending of this one isn't wrapped up as tightly as the others in the series; I wonder if the characters will come back in a different book in the series (so far, each of the books is stand-alone).

Note: clean
Latharia
Mar 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another amusing romp in The Five Hundred Kingdoms, full of plucky & wry heroes and heroines. If I'd managed to wait to read it for summer, I'd say it was great beach reading. Nothing stressful or overly complex to track, just pure enjoyment!
Ann Brookens
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book

Mercedes Lackey is a masterful writer who always entertains. This book combines classic fairy tale elements with a new take to create a satisfying whole. One of my favorites!
Krystal
Jan 02, 2013 rated it liked it
So this is more like 2.5 stars.... It was good them the end just blew it for me... Maybe it's me but, I would have liked a bit more... there were questions were left un answered...the beginning and middle were just fine.... It's like an erupt ending .. Not fun
Jessica
The problem with Mercedes Lackey being so wildly popular and immensely talented is that no one really bothers to edit her stories any more. So many errors and pages of rambling...
Jamie
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In staying with the winter theme, and shooting myself in the foot for next year since I've only got five specifically winter-themed titles, today's review will be about The Snow Queen , which I'd been planning on reading for some time only to be warned off by the poor Amazon reviews. It was only after watching Frozen that I finally gave in and picked it up because how could a retelling possibly get any worse?

Actually, that's unfair. The problem with this being sold to the public as the Disney t
Avalyn Hunter
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another enjoyable romp through a world in which fairy tales come to life in unexpected ways and is overall quite satisfying. It isn't the best of The Five Hundred Kingdoms series (one would be hard put to surpass the first two books, The Fairy Godmother and One Good Knight), but it does introduce some new magical traditions and cultures while retaining the framework of The Tradition and the Godmothers who work to steer it. The Ice Fairy, Aleksia, is a worthy addition to the Godmotherly r ...more
Ingrid Doell
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Like the other books of this series, The Snow Queen takes up traditional fairytales in an interesting way. I really liked the use of craft-based magic particularly the weaving done by the female characters. However, this book frames the sexual assault of a young woman as a character building experience that supposedly makes her tougher and able to understand other women's experiences between. Trauma should not be used as a plot device. I wish more fantasy literature explored and subverted misogy ...more
Viviane
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Now, I always liked the snowqueen and the boy in the story always made me twitch so I cheered for the godmother here right from the start. I again felt that Mercedes worked on a lot of elements and some therefore ended up loosing a little of depth but overall this one is well balanced, intriguing and fun. Full of female characters with a bit of bite across the ages.
Especially loved the raven, short as his part is.
This is one I think I will read again one winter's night.
Tobreth Hansen
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am not going to claim these are sophisticated reading but she does a good job with fairy tale twists. My favorite aspect in The Tradition. It is kind of the rules so you can’t just do whatever just because it is a fairytale. I am grateful Godmother Elena’s role was smaller this time around. In fact they could have done without. These have strong female roles if that is a thing for you.
Jill
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it
My second time reading this--I have enjoyed every one of the Five Hundred Kingdoms series. Aleksia, like all the godmothers, is a strong, smart, brave, and resourceful woman. Who still is able to ask for help when she needs it. The other characters are well-rounded, especially Annukka and Kaari. And the Icehart! Well worth several rereads.
  • The Fire Opal (Lost Continent, #4)
  • The Mermaid's Madness (Princess, #2)
  • Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3)
  • The Unhandsome Prince
  • White as Snow
  • In Celebration of Lammas Night
  • The Destined Queen (Umbria, #2)
  • An Exchange of Gifts
  • Silver Birch, Blood Moon
  • Tiger Burning Bright
  • Once Upon a Spring Morn (Faery, #4)
  • Never After
  • Cast in Fury (Chronicles of Elantra #4)
  • The Thirteenth House (Twelve Houses, #2)
  • Wolfsbane (Sianim, #4 / Aralorn, #2)
Mercedes entered this world on June 24, 1950, in Chicago, had a normal childhood and graduated from Purdue University in 1972. During the late 70's she worked as an artist's model and then went into the computer programming field, ending up with American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to her fantasy writing, she has written lyrics for and recorded nearly fifty songs for Firebird Arts &am ...more
More about Mercedes Lackey

Five Hundred Kingdoms (9 books)
  • The Fairy Godmother (Five Hundred Kingdoms, #1)
  • One Good Knight (Five Hundred Kingdoms, #2)
  • Fortune's Fool (Five Hundred Kingdoms, #3)
  • The Sleeping Beauty (Five Hundred Kingdoms, #5)
  • Beauty and the Werewolf (Five Hundred Kingdoms, #6)
  • A Tale of the Five Hundred Kingdoms Volume 1: The Fairy Godmother\One Good Knight
  • A Tale of the Five Hundred Kingdoms Volume 2: Fortune's Fool\The Snow Queen
  • A Tale of the Five Hundred Kingdoms Volume 3: The Sleeping Beauty\Beauty and the Werewolf

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Black Witch (The Black Witch Chronicles, #1)
  • The Final Six
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Honor Among Thieves (The Honors, #1)
    $10.00 $1.99
  • Orphan Island
    $9.00 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
“(From the Author Note at the beginning of the book.) Dorothy L. Sayers used to say that mystery stories were the only moral fiction of the modern world--because in a mystery, you were guaranteed to see that the bad got punished, the good got rewarded and in the end all was made right.

I'd like to think that fantasy does the same thing. It reminds us that this is how it should be, and maybe if we all put our minds to it a little more, this is how it will be. The good will be rewarded. The bad will be punished. Sins will be forgiven.

And they will live happily ever after.”
9 likes
“Thought it has certainly taken you long enough to realize what should have truly been precious to you. Not your own self-importance, nor how clever you thought you were, but the affections of those who cared for you, and that you should have cared for in return. e become truly great only when we work for others as well as ourselves. By your own light, you can only illuminate a small part of the world, but when your light is reflected and shared, it is magnified.” 8 likes