Start by marking “Tempting Fate (Immortal Descendants, #2)” as Want to Read:
Tempting Fate (Immortal Descendants, #2)

Tempting Fate (The Immortal Descendants #2)

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  1,764 Ratings  ·  177 Reviews
Seventeen-year-old Clocker, Saira Elian is back on the run and being hunted by Mongers. The Descendants of War are amassing power in the 21st century, bent on controlling all the Immortal Descendants. Their attempt to kidnap Saira, a rare Descendant of Time and Nature, reveals just how brazen they’ve become. Archer, the vampire who has loved Saira for over a century, is wi ...more
Published June 28th 2014 by Corazon Entertainment

To ask other readers questions about Tempting Fate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tempting Fate

Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦

➦Can we just take a second and talk about time travel again?

➦Hokay, so.

➦IF I were able to travel through time I would definitely go back to that moment in first grade riiiiight before my skirt fell down while I was walking up the stairs.

➦Embarrassing, right? Now, think when you're 6. It's like, the end of the world.

➦Just sayin'.

➦But the most important question, perhaps, is what happens if we go back in time and stealthily off some important person that had an impact on history?

➦Saira, the he
Wendy'sThoughts
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: April White Fans, TimeTravel
5 Making History Real, Touchable and Seriously Swoony Stars
* * * * * Spoiler Free
As I sit here thinking about what I have just read...I applaud April White for her amazing ability to take history... make it accessible, full of intrigue and guile.... and use an edgy yet coming of age gal as our leader through it all. She has taken all the current times flavor; mixed it with deeply thought-provoking questions of the ages and blended her own brand of magic to capture our attention from the first p
Alexandra
You know that feeling when you finish a good book, it's like saying "good-bye" to good friends? Yeah, that.

Looking forward to the next one!
April
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)

Seventeen-year-old Clocker, Saira Elian is back on the run…

…and being hunted by Mongers. The Descendants of War are amassing power in the 21st century, bent on controlling the Immortal Descendants. Their attempt to kidnap Saira, a rare Descendant of Time and Nature, reveals just how brazen they’ve become. Archer, the vampire who has loved Saira for over a century, is willing to risk everything to protect her.

When a horrific vision reveals Ringo, thief and loyal companion from 1888, being torture
Grahame
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I expected this book to be good, but I didn't think it could possibly live up to the same standard as the first book. I'm happy to report that I stand corrected. Tempting Fate had every bit as much action, drama, and history if not more. This story fascinating. The history just boggled my mind, especially the way that April White weaves it into her storytelling. She made the time period come to life. I felt as if I were there, experiencing everything right along with Saira and the others.
I was s
Becca
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was reluctant to read this one because the next one doesn't come out for awhile. I was afraid of the torture of waiting for the next story, since each one is so enjoyable and incredible. As always the characters are bold, brilliant and lovable. April White is a master of her craft. I love how she adds her own version to history while twisting magic into the story. This is a must read! Not to mention I love her characters more and more, page by page.
Alyssia Cooke
This suffered somewhat from a disease that seems to hit many second novels. If the entire book had been the pace and quality of the final third, this would be an easy four stars however. Unfortunately the pace of the first two thirds lags and the novel doesn’t seem to know where it’s going. When combined with a lot of filler and vomit worthy romance gunge, this was distinctly disappointing considering how much I enjoyed the first in the series.

I was also disappointed that so few awesome characte
Jess the Audiobookworm
I'm giving this installment of the Immortal Descendants series .25 less of a star than the first because, although I am still completely enthralled by Saira and her world, the premise of this particular story (time-traveling to Tudor England) just did not captivate me quite as much as Jack the Ripper did in the first installment. The story seemed to slow down when Saira was in the 16th century and I found myself longing for her to return to St. Bridget's. I've fallen so much in love wi
Kristin
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, read-on-kindle
Tempting Fate was an absolutely fantastic sequel!

I had been waiting for this book since I finished the first one, Marking Time, about a year ago, and I was not disappointed! First of all, the writing. I realized while rereading the first book that April White's writing is so captivating. She writes with so much detail that you're able to actually envision the whole scene in your head like watching a movie. I feel like it's hard to do that with historical fiction novels just because it's not som
Heather
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Tempting Fate is book 2 in the Immortal Descendants series by author April White. If you haven't read book 1, you need to go do that as many things will only make sense if you've read that one first.

Saira Elian, descendant of time, has learned a lot lately. She learned that she can travel through time. She learned that she is the child of a forbidden love between her mother and a shifter named Will Shaw. She learned about the value of friendship, the price of secrets, and the pain of loss. When
Stacy
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love this series, LOVE it. The characters, the time travel (which I usually don't like), the storyline... It just rocks! It has been a long wait but TEMPTING FATE was so worth it.

It doesn't take long for the action to start. In fact the books open up with Saira running through the woods from danger, getting your heart pumping with a nice pace and the pace doesn't slow down until the book is over. The blurb does a really fantastic job of explaining what book 2 was about. I really loved that all
Kat Heiden
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you take one glance at my goodreads you'll see that I have a somewhat serious addiction to all things British and all things time travel, which is why I picked up the first book in April White's Immortal Descendants series, Marking Time. I'm delighted that the second book in the series, Tempting Fate, was just as fun to read. It trades Victorian London for Elizabethan, featuring Good Queen Bess herself when she was a princess imprisoned in the Tower of London. The book does a good job of bein ...more
Petra
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced and intriguing, I loved this book. Saira is back in a her free-running, confidence inspiring glory.
This book has well defined characters and just enough humour to make it a fun, thrilling ride through time and the complicated realities of the Grandfather Paradox. Saira grows as a person and is definitely growing up into a woman I would love to meet.
The author has clearly done her research but doesn't flaunt it at the expense of the plot. She takes a very well known person in history
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Tempting Fate is the epic sequel to what has become a new favorite series of mine, the Immortal Descendants. The story picks up shortly after where Marking Time ends. This is not a stand alone and you most definitely want to read the first book in order to understand what's going on. And read it you should because this series is badass epic awesomeness.

April White has created a magical world with time travel, vampires, werewolves, and all sorts of fantasy characters while at the same time this i
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-kindle
This series continues to wow me. In the first book, I loved that even though she's a teenager and he's an old vampire, it's not creepy because (view spoiler). I also loved the absence of a love triangle. At the beginning I was afraid there was suddenly going to be a love triangle, but then everyone got their brain adjusted shortly into it, and we were back on track for a won ...more
Kim Johnson
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what to say about these books other than they are absolutely fantastic! They are so original and I absolutely love all the history involved in these books. I finished this a bit ago, but didn't want to take the time to leave a review, I just wanted to keep reading. You have to read these books. So freakin good!
The Lit Bitch
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I had the pleasure of reading and reviewing Marking Time last year and since then, I have been eagerly awaiting the release of this one. Since the first book did an amazing job of explaining the Descendants and their background and history, this book literally hits the ground free running!

There was a large chase/action sequence that opens the book, which I loved. It was great to start the book at such a quick pace. Though from time to time, I did find myself trying to recall all the Des
Annika
This series keeps getting better, more complicated and many times more dangerous. It picks up where the last one left off and the past comes back to haunt Saira and her friends. Only this time Bishop Wilder is going after another part of the Descendant families – the Seers. Of course Bishop Wilder having an ego the size of Everest any Seer won’t do, it has to be the most powerful and influential one; Lady Elizabeth - future Queen of England.

A few things I really like with this series; we reader
Caffenero
Before starting to write this review I gave some thoughts about which kind of Heroes and Heroines I loved as a teenager/YA.
The Immortal descendants Series recalls memories of evenings spent watching "Ladyhawke" and "Shakespeare in Love", or reading books like Ivanhoe or The Nonexistent Knight The Nonexistent Knight and The Cloven Viscount by Italo Calvino. The first because is a classic, beautiful romantic story; the second because the heroine is a Knight herself.

Tempting fate is a marvelous mix of Adventure, Chivalry and Immortal love. I wish I could re
Kara-karina
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wishlist
4.5/5
What a nerve-wracking, delightful piece of young adult time travel fiction!

I've already said that April White's Marking Time which I had the opportunity to read last year was wonderful, and I recommended it to everyone left, right and center. In many ways Miss White follows the path carved by Deborah Harkness and successfully interweaves magic, destiny, vampires and time travel.

Saira, her main heroine and an illegal half-breed Clocker is a descendant of Time who continues to hunt a rogue v
Amy
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am totally crazy for this series! The concepts of time travel and paranormals is always a draw for me; but these tales are exceptionally woven. The author's knowledge of history is a huge bonus. Therefore, the settings actually come to life. There are references to people and events that we learned in school, but didn't capture our attention. Well, "hello, history", I think I love you. I love the imagining of actually meeting Queen Elizabeth. April did a fantastic job of making Elizabeth seem ...more
Dan
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Check out my blog, One Man Book Club

The Value of a Star: Ratings Explained

At Least as Fun as Book One!

Tempting Fate, book two of the Immortal Descendant Series was at least as much fun as book one—maybe even more so thanks to a really cool historical-fiction background for the story.

Time travel? Check.
Often time travel stories get bogged down and confusing when the authors try to over explain.  I’m enjoying these stories because there seems to be a really nice balance between tricky-don’t-break-
Vicki Khouli
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received the first book in the series for free, and was willing to pay full price for a hard copy version of book two. It did not disappoint.

We have already met Saira, a Clocker, and her non-sparkly, non-garlic-hating vampire boyfriend, who is a seer, as well. That is, he can see the future - not a future carved in stone, but a probable future. They have other talented and human friends who help them through their troubles.

Tempting Fate lands them in the court of Mary Tudor, King Henry VIII's
Haley Nguyen
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 BRILLIANT STARS.

I would give it 10 stars if I could. Seriously, I can't praise this series enough...

To be honest, I thought "Marking Time" was the best time-travel book ever, but "Tempting Fate" proved me wrong. This second installment is way "best-er", if that's even possible: better than the best.

With a heroine full of badassary, a harmonized and loveable ensemble, an admirable and not-at-all-cheesy romance, an action-packed and most intriguing plot, a most astonishing version of a certain
Lan Kiều
The reason why I only post a review for this book, not the others in the series, was because I absolutely LOVED Elizabeth!!

What can I say about this book... Hmmm... Elizabeth was freaking awesome??? Of course!! She was the freaking queen of England! Some soft moments and wanting to accept her death for a few times, but with some help from Saira she bounced right back and bloomed in all her queenly manners!

Oh, but I probably should have mentioned Saira first, right? After all, SHE was the protago
RaeWho
Feb 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: low-fantasy
I'm not entirely sure why, but this book just fell flat for me. I really enjoyed the first book, with the Immortal explanations, learning about Archer etc, but the plot just didn't seem as rich as the first book. Perhaps it was the speed at which I was reading, but several times the character's explanation of time, or whatever, didn't make sense to me, and probably my biggest complaint is that somehow Saira can live and attend the school, despite being wanted by the Mongers. It seems the Mongers ...more
David Estes
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wow, hats off to April White for a really well done sequel to Marking Time. This book is really well edited, impeccably researched, and really creative.

If you like historical fiction with a paranormal twist with Vamps, Weres, Seers, and time travelers (among other cool stuff), this book will be right up your alley. Not to mention a fair bit of light romance for those of you who enjoy that!

My only negative was that I felt it was a little long and dragged in parts, but overall the story was stro
Kersten
Oct 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have no idea what to say. This series continues to amaze me at all costs. The detail of history is amazing. I swear if the author ever teaches a history class I want to sign up. Tempting Fate continues the story where the first left off and glad it did. It still amazes me when I was reading the story and could picture everything. I love Mr Shaw and Ringo and glad we got more of them. I'm sad for Tom and hope there is more to him. I can't wait for the next book to take me on another adventure. ...more
Cristyertel
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really love these books! The author does such a great job of weaving in history... it makes me want to study more. She also has great character development; I love that each character has their distinct personality that you fall in love with (or not so much for the mongers). she also really pulls you into the plot.
All they being said, I do feel like this book started out a lot slower than the first book. It took me a bit to get into it; where as the first book had me from the first page. But
L. Gibbs
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
More time travel and trouble with Archer and Saira working together to save the world and known time. Oh, and then there's that cross-time relationship between a 150-year-old vampire and a 17-year-old clocker. She picks up friends with skills your average friend does not have but she surely can make use of. Lots of character growth, difficulties to get through, sacrifice and fighting mongers and other troublesome Wilder devotees. A great second book in the Immortal Descendant series. My only fru ...more
A Million More Pages: 2 - Tempting Fate (Immortal Descendants): Jul 31 51 13 Aug 13, 2015 11:39AM
  • Ascension (Gryphon #4)
  • Ill-Conceived Magic (Monster Haven, #1.5)
  • Kissed by Fire (Blood & Magic, #2)
  • Dance in the Vampire Bund Vol 5
  • The Darkling Wind
  • Evil Red (Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter, #2.6)
  • Sun Damage (Sunshine, #3)
  • When Boats Breathe and Cities Speak (Nikolas and Company, #2)
  • Bell, Book, and Sandals
  • ArcKnight (The ArcKnight Chronicles #1)
  • Hunt (The Grizzly Brothers Chronicles #1)
  • Breath of Dragons (A Pandoran Novel, #3)
  • Claymore, Vol. 22: Claws and Fangs of the Abyss (Claymore, #22)
  • Dissension
  • Fissure (Chronicles of the Interred, #2)
APRIL WHITE has been a film producer, private investigator, bouncer, teacher and screenwriter. She has climbed in the Himalayas, survived a shipwreck, and lived on a gold mine in the Yukon. She and her husband share their home in Southern California with two extraordinary boys, their dog, various chickens, and a lifetime collection of books.

Book one in the Immortal Descendants series is the 2016
More about April White

The Immortal Descendants (5 books)
  • Marking Time (The Immortal Descendants, #1)
  • Changing Nature (The Immortal Descendants, #3)
  • Waging War (The Immortal Descendants, #4)
  • Cheating Death (The Immortal Descendants, #5)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • The Rules of Magic
    $11.99 $4.99
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“He obviously didn't get slapped nearly enough for the trouble he stirred up.” 1 likes
“Awesome. Seth Walters was one of my very favorite people on the planet. It always gave me the warm fuzzies when he was around, and based on Mr. Shaw’s expression, I wasn’t the only one who thought he was only slightly less nasty than a port-a-potty at a Burning Man festival.” 1 likes