Start by marking “Behind Dark Doors” as Want to Read:
Behind Dark Doors

Behind Dark Doors

Six Suspenseful Short Stories with a Twist! For lovers of Twilight Zone, Darker Things and Black Mirror.

These tales will delight fans of the horror short story with their ingenius twists and wicked irony. Brought to you by the international best-selling author readers have named the new Stephen King.

Enter strange worlds and meet their unusual and sometimes terrifyin

Kindle Edition
Published (first published April 6th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Behind Dark Doors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Behind Dark Doors

Start your review of Behind Dark Doors
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: Then this producer rang from 'Today Tonight' - or 'Yesterday Morning', or something sounding equally cliched - and asked if he could do a piece on them.

A piece, he thought. He wished he could have done just a piece of marriage, instead of the whole lot. They never ask you that during the wedding ceremony. 'How much do you think you can do? Five years? Twenty? Fifty? After fifty we'll come and get you out, George.' No, they do not. They say 'until the day you die.' And that is that.

ABO
Carrie
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Behind Dark Doors (one) is the first of a set of books by Susan May that contain short horror stories. This first book contains the six stories:

Do Us Part
Hell's Kitchen
Mitigating Circumstances
I Hate Emma Carter
It's In The Genes
The War Veteran

Each story starts with a brief description before the read then after the story is over you have a few words from Susan about how the story came about in her mind, what she was thinking and what made her write that particular story. I really enjoyed reading
Rebecca McNutt
It's no wonder this book of short stories has made it up to Stephen King status on the internet, I mean these stories are great! They aren't your average corny campfire stories either, instead they're far more gripping and chilling and chances are if you don't read them yourself, you'll be told one of them by one of many fans at some point. I can't wait to read the second installment of Behind Dark Doors! :)
Sue
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
BEHIND DARK DOORS (ONE) by Susan May is the first set of books, a collection of six thrilling short stories. These stories are a combination of mystery suspense and horror. I don’t read too many short stories or too much from the horror genre, as I feel that based on the length restraints of short stories, it does not allow sufficient character development. But I have to say I enjoyed reading these captivating stories.

It's a mix of mystery / suspense / horror. For each story is a narration by
Thomas Strömquist
Great collection of shorts and with very nice short backgrounds following each one and enhance the experience.

Do us part Except for wondering why the man is always the one "shackled down" and (feeling) trapped in a (long) marriage while the woman is perfectly content, this was a great little twist short.

Hell's kitchen Great echo of Bachmans Running Man and Long Walk.

Mitigating circumstances My favorite- a story about feeling treated really unfairly. The back story for this one is almost as goo
Janeandjerry
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another great book by a great author

A great author putting another great book together and I will read the rest of her books she has out there for she's that great of an author putting great books together
Linda Strong
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Since this is New Year's Eve, I thought I would end my year with something a little different .. something I don't normally read.

This is a collection of 6 short stories. It's a mix of mystery / suspense / horror. For each story is a narration by the author, explaining what was going through her head when she wrote these ... and these stories are as fascinating as the fiction.

DO US PART .. When you've been married forever to the same person, the news media always wants to know your secret. This i
Faouzia
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you very much Susan May for giving me this book.

This is a very interesting collection of short stories. They were very different from what i imagined them to be, judging from the title i mean.
I enjoyed each of the 6 stories, but the one i really liked is "The war Veteran", a very touching story.

I also liked the fact that the author explained, after each story, how she got the idea to it. This was very interesting.
Seamus
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent collection - full of twists 'n' turns. Very clever is the turth behind the tale at the end of each story, in which Susan tells us where, how, why the story came to be!

I HATE EMMA CARTER was my favourite, but all are great. The shortness of most stories makes reading on the go real easy.
Theo Cage
May 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow. These short stories rock.

I grew up on a diet of short stories. I fondly remember gobbling up every anthology I could get my hands on of H.P. Lovecraft, Van Vogt, Poe, Bradbury etc. I loved horror, the supernatural and sci-fi - anything with an ending that would fire up your imagination or give you goosebumps.

It’s been years since I’ve read anything new in this sub-genre so I jumped at the chance to review Susan May’s collection. Behind Dark Doors brought all those guilty pleasures flooding
Robyn
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent short stories and as a bonus the author discuses her inspiration for each one. If you enjoyed Roald Dahl's "The Landlady", Vonnegut's or Stephen King's short stories, you will love these. I especially liked the first two, and War Veteran was almost a novella, worthy of a spot on the Twilight Zone.
Stacy
Jan 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short stories have never been my thing. When they're over, I want more! These were good stories, and, as expected, I wanted more. The best part about this was "from the imagination vault." I really enjoyed how Susan explained the origin of her ideas.
Patti
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm really loving this author!
Sophie David
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think Susan May is a very skilled writer as she switched deftly between different subjects in this fascinating collection of short stories. I don’t know if ‘Mitigating Circumstances was intentionally humorous but I did have to contain a giggle a few times as that delightfully unhinged mother lost control spectacularly and still managed to see the normality of the horror she brought to that Principal’s office, shocking but an entertaining read ensuring that I won’t think of a box cutter in the ...more
Cathy Geha
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Suspense with a twist at the end – what more could a person ask for? Well this compilation of six short stories also provides the thought process behind the writing of the stories – an insight into the mind of the author. Be prepared for endings you might not expect should you decide to pick this little book up. I thoroughly enjoyed all six of these stories and will gladly read more of Ms May’s writing.
Emma
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whilst it looks like it's taken me some time to read this book, i've been reading it as part of a read along with a new story every few weeks. This is a great set of short stories. I find Susan is able to keep you guessing at what is going to happen throughout each story and I definitely think Mitigating Circumstances is my favourite in this collection.
Marie
Dec 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
A couple of them were a bit disturbing, the last one made me cry. Very sobering.
mad mags
"The War Veteran" stands out...

(Full disclosure: I received a free electronic copy of this book for review through Library Thing's Member Giveaways program.)

Susan May's Behind Dark Doors is a collection of six short (most of them very short!) stories of suspense and horror:

"Hell's Kitchen" - Game show contestant Gordon (named after Gordon Ramsey, natch) isn't just competing for his own cooking show - but for his very life. (Hint: You don't want to know what's in the beef bourguignon.)

"Mitigating
Robert
During the Christmas break I was reading a lot. The Kindle kept recommending Deadly Messengers. Then I searched new book clubs and sure enough one of them was getting to read that book in January. Looking through the posts, I saw Susan May, the author, write that she would offer the book for free to anyone who wrote for it. I did. She sent that along with three anthologies of short stories. How kind!

This is a collection of six short stories. All but the last were very short (as in just a few pag
William
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When looking at the previews for a number of books, I saw a comment about this Author being similar to Stephen King in dealing with the Dark Side. At one time, before I acquired my first Kindle, I was able to boast that I owned every King novel written to that date. I was among those who worried he might not survive his being run-down while walking on a country road. I needed him to finish his Dark Tower series. I mention this because it makes me qualified to say Susan May would be the Daughter ...more
Mike Rice
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this!

In my teenage years, I loved reading the Point Horror stories that everyone was into at the time. I came across a collection called 13, which was 13 short Point horror stories. This is the adult version....

Behind Dark Doors is six short stories, most containing Susan's delightfully dark humour! the last story, The War Veteran gave me shivers at the very last line.

In the foreword, Susan says she had to think about when to join the story and when to leave it, leaving the end
Diane Lynch
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eighteen short stories total. It is impossible to pick a favorite out of these eighteen stories. They are all completely different from one another. Varying lengths. Twilight Zone feel to them. Many of them leave you wanting more. Leaving unanswered questions. I loved this collection. I will be reading them again and hope the author comes out with another collection or expands on some of those that left me longing for answers. Ending another good book. Saying goodbye to this new friend that I en ...more
Tina  Helzer
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another amazing read of Susan May's. I am really enjoying this new author that I have discovered. Her books are just amazing. I am really loving all of the books I have read and listened to so far.

This is a great book with 6 stories that are all so different and yet so interesting all at the same time. Each story will draw you in and keep you guessing from start to finish. They all remind me of a Twilight Zone episode and I could just imagine watching them.

I would suggest to anyone that is a Ste
Loretta
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Susan you rocked my world again. Awesome book of creepy short stories. I loved every single one!
Also, reading the "imagination vault" for each story is as much fun as the stories. Susan May's writing style is fabulous and her imagination is definitely one of a kind.

Never once have I been disappointed by a book written by Susan. If you have not had the pleasure of reading her books I highly recommend all of them.
Anita Henderson
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved the stories in this book! Scary! Fun to read but over too soon! Like a rollercoaster! I have found a new author! Move over Stephen King!r

Excellent job! New favorite author! Move over Stephen King! A fun but scary read. On to the next book in the series! Can't wait!
Laurie
The ones I liked were good, but towards the end it seemed like they all relied on Twilight Zone twists, or were fragments of books. Several authors mentioned that they were going to make the stories into full books, leaving me wondering why I read the short?
Cheryl
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful collection of short stories, each with a little preface. I really do love a good short story & it's fantastic to see such quality in one of my newly discovered authors. And an Aussie to boot! Recommended. ...more
Teri
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you love short stories Ms May is an amazing writer who builds a story like no other. Even her short stories take you to a dark place that makes you cringe. This collection is worthy of a read.
Amy
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this collection of short stories.
Daisy
Most of the stories were pretty good. This is the first time I have read anything by this author. I'm starting the second book of short stories immediately.

• The Last Resort
  • Bookishness: Loving Books in a Digital Age
  • Mothers Don't Lie
  • The Dying Game
  • The Year of Needy Girls
  • Meddlesome Madness: A Short Story Collection (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries Book 26)
  • They All Fall Down
  • What My Husband Did
  • Superficial: More Adventures from The Andy Cohen Diaries
  • The Sarah Book
  • The Perfectly Imperfect Home: How to Decorate & Live Well
  • Love the Fur You're in (Sesame Street)
  • Black Dogs Project: Capturing the Beauty of the Real Underdogs
  • Good Neighbors
To enjoy a Susan May starter library of two free books, join her reader's club at
susanmaywriter.net/free-books

I was four when I decided I would be a writer, packed a bag, and marched down the road looking for a school. But for forty-six years, I suffered from life-gets-in-the-way-osis. Setting a goal to write just one page a day cured me in 2010. This discipline grew into an addictive habit that