Start by marking “Shadows and Light” as Want to Read:

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Shadows and Light

Three paranormal novellas

Reap the Shadow, Slay the Light

I don’t know what I am, but I’m not human...and neither are the creatures that killed my mom. Running will only carry me so far because there’s a darkness within me, ready to destroy me, and a burning light, begging for escape. It’s the light that screams to my pursuers and works them into a frenzy. Though the darkn

Published May 15th 2014 by Melissa Haag (first published May 8th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Shadows and Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadows and Light

Melissa
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This really isn't my own rating. I wanted to add something to share a little side story. My dad recently retired. With all of the time he has now, he offered to read my book, provide corrections, and give general feedback...I can't recall my dad ever reading a book. Wait, not true. When I was about twelve, I remember him reading one. Anyway, I wasn't about to say no.

Here's what he texted me: "Done with the book. Liked story 3 the best. I am very impressed with my daughter. Love you." Go ahead, "
AK Mama Reads
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paralove
I would like to avoid spoilers so this will be brief. Each of the three stories contained within Shadows and Light deal with the potential for good and evil in the world, as well as in individuals. We see three strong female leads, something which Melissa Haag does quite well, well enough to be known for her strength in female characters.
The first piece, Reap the Shadow, Slay the Light, brings us into a point of violent upheaval in Phoebe's life, she must make some quick choices that will chang
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
I haven’t read many books made up of individual, unconnected novellas; only novellas that are part of a series, so this was new but really exciting. I found it was actually really easy to get into the different stories even being really short which my one worry was. Saying this though, they were each about 80 pages so still a decent length (but not long enough).

Now, to be honest I wasn’t quite sure how to review this book, whether to do mini-reviews for each novella or a general one but since th
Ercilda
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread
3 short stories, 3 different worlds but oh so good. Funny but serious too. I love that even though Melissa writes Werewolves she always mange to give give us a different version of them and in different worlds

Reap The Shadows, Slay The Light: A bit dark but it had it's funny moments. I loved the support Willam gave to Phoebe. She endured a lot at such a jong age but mange to rise.

WarWolf Half Breed: I laughed out loud a few times. Declan Is defiantly one that will grow on you. I could relate Em
Deissy
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So entertaining! From start to end
Loved them all! Short stories bundle together. My favorite one was shadows and lights! But all the 3 were fun to read!
melinda barstow
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Getting better

Read Touched by this author first. Good premise but too bare bones. Liked th I s one much better. Will continue reading the series she wrote and see where it goes
Kat Jones
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
* Reviewer for Paranormal Romance Authors that Rock*

**4 Fangs**

The three novellas in this book, are amazing. i haven't read many paranormal books, even so, you could get a feel for the caracters & drawn into the story.

1) 'Reap the Shadow, Slay the light was full of emotion. The story is about Phoebe & William. Phoebe saw many tragities throughout her life, the loss of her closest friend & her mother (Williams sister & mother) & the loss of her father & subsequent step fat
Becca
Alright! Let's do this!!

So I was lucky enough to be a beta/arc/given this in exchange for an honest review, sort of thing and I am always honest. I just happened to love every one of these novellas.

My review is going to be different from my normal ones because this was three novellas in one book, cool? Cool.

So overall, I loved the mix of two humorous stories and one more serious, darker story. I thought while they stories were shorter they were complete, would have I liked to have seen more of
Blue Rose
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes yes yes

These short stories are sweet, beautiful, and quietly thought provoking, not necessarily in that order. ;) Definitely a must read.
Desiree Gorman - A Love Affair With Books
I actually really enjoy novellas and love Melissa Haag so this was a no brainer for me. I was especially intrigued when I saw that she was mixing it up with dark and funny stories. I do know that if I want my paranormal fix, Melissa is definitely the person I go to. Her "Judgment of the Six" series is one of my favorite paranormal series out there.

This series was fun and serious at the same time. I found myself eagerly waiting to find out what was going to happen next. Each character was develo
Kelly
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed all three of these stories. While I'm admittedly a sucker for the werewolves (WEREWOLVES!), I got a kick out of the whole set.

Reap the Shadow, Slay the Light: A different take on the eternal battle between good and evil and one I found intriguing. Phoebe's panic and pain over what she experienced is compounded by all the things she doesn't know about herself and what she is. Loved Willam's restraint and his desire to be there for her. *thumbs up*

WarWolf: Half Breed: A sweet,
Cat
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-freebie
Three short stories, each one beautifully told. Honestly, I could have done with the latter two being full on novels, but I'll take what I can get.

Reap the Shadows, Slay the Light
Of the three, this was probably the darkest story. It still has a good ending, though, so don't despair too much. The author has a captivating style that drew me in, which wasn't so good in this case, since it's a bit depressing. But still, kudos for the imagery. Or not. You know what I mean...

WarWolf: Half Breed
This on
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
The first is interested and dramatic and the only darker story. Towards the end at the climax, I found myself having to slow down to get what was going on darkness and light and who's getting what when. Still, a good read.

The second was by far my favorite. The male lead was wonderful and I couldn't help smile throughout most of the story. Really delightful. Ema's transformation was a bit abrupt, but for a short story, it got the job done.

The third had me snorting with laughter. The female lead w
Jackie
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The 3 stories are very entertaining. "Reap the Shadow, Slay the Light" is the first story, is sort of on the dark/heavy side (my least favorite of the 3 stories in this book, & it's not a bad story, just not my preference). "WarWolf: Half breed", the second story is entertaining with werewolves & witches. And then there's "Moved", the third story, humans & werewolves, is totally hilarious, the female character, Gillian, is so perfect, I love leading lady type characters like this!! I ...more
Erin
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An eclectic mix. All 3 different & good

* Shadow & Light
A sweet modern day creation story/morality tale. I kept thinking: this doesn't make sense. Everything created continues to exist only if it can find a way to balance nature. And that was the point.
* War Wolf
A very different fast-paced romantic comedy of a warlock/werewolf who tries to avoid being herself & the emotional & sincere werewolf who attaches himself to her.
* Moved
A cute teenaged story of mistaken identities &
B
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid storylines overall. I didn't care for the first story with the shadow and light. It was ok, but it had a lot of boring and slow paced scenes. I did feel the two had true feelings for each other. The second was my favorite and the reason I gave the collection of novellas a 4 vs 3 star rating. I think Ema's ancestry is a really cool idea with lots of possibilities. The third was better than the first, but again very slow. The infamous letter content in this one took too long to be revealed f ...more
Kimberly
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't really read a book before that had multiple novellas in it but honestly for this book it worked. I really enjoyed and liked all three novellas. They were all great and they connected to each other because of the family ties each character had with their families. I honestly can't say which of the three novellas was my favorite because I really really liked them all. I would recommend this book to everyone. It's just a great set of novellas and they all just stuck you into the story. Ov ...more
Ashley Graham
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I loved the book. What can I say about the book, story one for me, I didn't get at first, but I kept reading, I was able to understand. Story two, I was sad to see ended, I wanted more, but I'll live. Haha. Story three, I want more, no wait, I need more. I really hope, Melissa will think about making another book about these stories, of life after. I really want to know what happens.

All in all it was a great quick read, enjoyable. She gets a five star from me!!
Heather De Los Reyes
Always rate hers 5 stars

Whether it is a long story, a series, or a short novella, Melissa always out does herself. She is an exceptional writer and it makes me happy that I can read all these wonderful pieces that come from that brilliant brain of hers. Each short story was so good. I always loved her humor and it definitely comes out in these. William, Declan, and Racer seem dreamy and make it hard to chose a book boyfriend I like more!
Kyra Dune
This is nice collection of three novellas. If you enjoy clean Paranormal Romance that still manages to have a little sizzle, you should check this one out. All three stories were fun reads. Two have werewolves and the third has... Well I'm not a hundred per cent sure what they were. Maybe something sort of like angels and demons. But they were definitely cool. Reap The Shadow, Slay The Light was my favorite.
Tracy
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Overall, each story was absolutely unique and has such potential for so much more. But each one is still perfect on its own. Ms. Haag has a very vivid imagination and she doesn’t allow the status quo determine where she takes her stories. If she wrote a vampire story, I might even be tempted to read that too. Maybe. Depends. We’d have to see about...(https://textuallove.wordpress.com/201...) Read the rest of the review behind the link.
Anna
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first story was my favorite by far. The second one was good and the third one (which from the synopsis was the reason for reading this) was my least favorite. The main character was the biggest spoiled brat and very disrespectful. I can't believe the ending happened because that guy took a lot of abuse from her.
Jessica
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Three great storys, every single one made me want to read more. Three tough heroines each of them finding her own way to deal with the difficulties of her life. And three handsome men to fall in love with.
I loved reading this book although the stories were way to short ;)
Jeannie
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Three stories in one book and it leaves you wanting more. I really enjoyed the unique stories that are included in the Shadows and Light. They definitely had a new take on paranormal/super natural activity in a fun and exciting way. I couldn't put it down.
Bonnie Arnold
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't usually read novellas and I don't like werewolf stories. Usually. But I LOVED this book. The characters were entertaining and drew me in. I really, really enjoyed this. Especially the second story because the characters were so dry and amusing. Definitely recommend!
Christy Bravo
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An awesome book of novellas

I found the short stories exciting, full of adventure and interesting. It kept me turning pages until the end which left me wanting more. I loved the characters.
Rebecca Rogers
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
3 for 1

Three amazing short stories all under one title. Melissa Haag once again created worlds that I wanted to lose myself in. The only thing I would ask would be for more of each!!
Anastasia
Sep 13, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Just did not like it. Was boring and not very well written.
Dannielle
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely LOVE Melissa's writing and I cant believe I have never taken the time to read these novella's before now. They cement the fact that Melissa is an amazing storyteller :-) 4 out of 5
Detroitangel
Jun 14, 2014 rated it liked it
3 Stars. Three short stories about different relationships between the darkness and light inside of people.

• Bears In Flight (Supernatural Bounty Hunter, #4)
  • Dangerous Lovers
  • TerrIIItory (Territory, #3)
  • Animal
  • Unless You Can Be a Unicorn (B3, #1)
  • Step (The Senses, #2)
  • Silence of the Wolves (Call of the Wilderness #1)
  • Tested (New World, #3)
  • Homecoming (Cloaked Devices #0.5)
  • Sacrifice (Gryphon #3)
  • Promised (Promised Series, #1)
  • The Eve Genome
  • Broken (Broken Wings, #1)
  • Obliterate (Havoc, #2)
  • Caged Wolf (Wolves of Willow Bend, #2)
I love to write! Sharing the worlds I've created is beyond amazing . Want to read a book for free? Check out my website at:

Connect with me on:

I also write adult books under the pen name M.J. Haag. Happy reading!
“You are mine. You are the light to my darkness… the reason for my continued existence.” 2 likes
“You’re trying so hard to deny what’s inside you that you don’t know who you are anymore.” 2 likes