Start by marking “I Woke Up Dead at the Mall” as Want to Read:
I Woke Up Dead at the Mall

I Woke Up Dead at the Mall

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  1,492 Ratings  ·  346 Reviews
When Sarah wakes up  dead at the Mall of America, she learns that not only was she murdered,  her killer is still on the loose.
When you’re sixteen, you have your whole life ahead of you. Unless you’re Sarah. Not to give anything away, but . . . she’s dead. Murdered, in fact. Sarah’s murder is shocking because she couldn’t  be  any more average. No enemies. No risky beha
Published March 22nd 2016 by Delacorte Press

YA Novels of 2016
1,235 books — 9,578 voters
Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn HamiltonBlackhearts by Nicole CastromanThe Girl from Everywhere by Heidi HeiligEver the Hunted by Erin SummerillThe Crown's Game by Evelyn Skye
YA Debuts 2016
261 books — 1,439 voters

More lists with this book...

Bonnie Shores
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ghosts, mystery
Upon seeing this title, I thought I Woke Up Dead at the Mall would be a silly read that would be "entertaining enough". Boy, was I surprised! 😲

description

First of all, I thought the premise was unique. Instead of Sarah becoming a zombie or a vampire, which is what I thought was going to happen, she's a ghost—dressed in the same mango chiffon bridesmaid gown she was wearing when she died. Oh, and she's at the Mall of America, the place, she learns, where all murdered New Yorkers end up. Before they can move
Janet McNally
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is a lot of fun. Vivid and believable narrative voice, great premise, and a fantastic sense of humor throughout. I do not personally want to end up in a Mall of America afterlife (though I guess there are worse places, ha), but I so enjoyed following Sarah's journey and the cast of (dead) characters she met. There's a dash of zany murder mystery here, which adds to the fun, and an interesting examination of how we humans deal with dying. Highly recommended.
Susana
Nov 06, 2016 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one

1.5 Stars

Picked this up because I wanted something more lightweight before starting reading my next book... and I sure got it. -_-
The writing is juvenile. The characters are undeveloped clichés. Nothing is properly developed, not even the cheesy teen romance.
By now some of you are probably saying, "oh, you're being too harsh just because this isn't for you."
Thing is, I would never in a million years give this book to a middle grader, or even a teen. And that is because this is one of those book
Kristina Horner
May 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, ghosts
This book started strong and I really loved the premise, but then the instalove and totally bland storyline really ruined it for me. I did not get a sense that the main character was "special" in any way, but she broke rules of the afterlife over and over again. Disappointing.
Eilonwy
The title describes this book perfectly! And the cover is exactly right, too. Sarah does just what it promises, awaking in the mango bridesmaid's dress she was wearing at her father's wedding, only to be informed that she is, sadly, very dead. However, dead teens get to spend a few days at the Mall of America, adjusting to their new status, attending their own funeral, and reliving one day of their lives of their choice.

This was a very fast-paced blend of mystery, romance, and teen movie, as Sa
MA Beggs
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I Woke Up Dead at the Mall is a fun, creative, and very engaging read. With the opening sentence I was drawn into this world, or should I say "Mall," of the living dead. Not only is the plot/storyline intriguing, the living dead need to attend to the unfinished business of their lives, but I loved the characters that Judy created to tell this story. They became real "living" people to me because they are so thoughtfully developed. There is humor, drama, mystery and philosophical elements found i ...more
Domini Phillips ~My Bookish Friends~
I woke up dead at the mall is a totally new approach to the ten ghost genre. It's cute, sweet, heartfelt and has an ending that makes you feel complete and satisfied. A quick and enjoyable read.
Cyn (semi-hiatus)
What a fun little book.

Favorite laugh-out-loud quotes:

"Get ready for your funeral"

"Hey, did you know that Mexican words and Spanish words sound a lot alike? I wonder how they tell them apart"

I recommend: The Afterlife of Holly Chase
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Funny, snarky, sweet. A bit silly, but still fun.
Abby
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book!!! It had the perfect balance between comedy and drama... But more on the comedy! Judy Sheehan will make you stay up until the crack of dawn reading!
Jennifer Fountain
Witty and funny. Pub recommended it since I enjoyed Denton Little's Death Date. Great read for my first of 2016!
Paxton Cockrell
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
So this was a nice, light, teen read with some fun and interesting ideas on the afterlife. The lead character Sarah was mildly annoying at times, primarily because she was written quite well and often acted like a real 16 year old would probably act. Ugh, youths.

Also, there was a decent message in the book about not wasting your time or letting life pass you by which I can totally get behind.
Mari
Feb 06, 2016 rated it liked it
This review is based of an ARC that I found at a goodwill.

It was a 3.5 book that I rounded down. I did really enjoy it. There was nothing new or profound and I never really felt worried for any of the characters. It was light, simple, and fun.

Nick and Sarah's relationship wasn't 100% believable with how "in love" they were supposed to be, but it was cute. Nick, though adorable, was a bit (in my opinion) skeezy in how fast he moved on to Sarah.

There are a couple of things that bothered me - ster
Meg
Aug 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, arc, ya
16 year old Sarah wakes up dead. At the Mall of America. She must take steps to let go of her mortal life so she can move on. Once she tackles her unfinished business she can be free from the mall, and her own sadness.

Despite the title and the topic, there is so much joy in this book. I loved this particular line: "So it turns out the at when dead people sleep, they sleep reeeeeeeeeeally deep. That first night at the mall I slept like someone had drugged me, then clubbed me, then made me watch
Lilly Noonan
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was one of the most creative and interesting books I have ever read. It wasn't your normal go right to heaven when you die type of book. This book has a different view on that, if your murdered you go to a mall, and if you’re a New Yorker you go to the Mall of America. At the mall you have to forget about your past life to be able to go on to your next life. Which Sarah has a hard time doing.

Sarah was sixteen years old when she was murdered. She woke up at the mall of America in her ma
Marcia
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
A really good mix of funny and poignant, and the ending was wonderful.
Noriko
Feb 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"A little bit underwhelmed." This is probably the best way to describe my initial thoughts about this book.
To be perfectly honest, there was nothing particular about this book that spoke to me or got me so excited and anxious to know what's going to happen next. I must admit there were moments and scenes that got me intrigued to some extent, but overall, I felt the ending a bit too convenient and contrived, not to mention anticlimactic. I was a bit disappointed to say the least. I was expecting
Raina
Apr 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny, ya
I was underwhelmed by some things, but pulled through by things I wasn't expecting.

I picked this up thinking it might be a good readalike for the show "The Good Place," which is trending in my friend-group. I'm not sure how many teens, much less middle schoolers, are into that show, but it fits in the snarky niche of my middle school booktalk lineup.

The title/cover doesn't lie - Sarah wakes up dead in the mall. In a giant bridesmaid's dress.
I was looking forward to enjoying exploring the mall-a
[Shai] The Bibliophage
This is one of the best books of I've read so far this year. I love the characters, setting and the phasing of the story. This book also made me ponder if there's a truth on life after death. Or if we will also have a chance to choose whether we want to reborn again or to protect once we are ready to move on, just like what happened to the characters in this book.

I really enjoyed reading this and I highly recommend it to anyone who loves light reading and a fast phasing story. If you are looking
John
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, library_books
This one had been on my TBR pile for a bit, until one day I decided to try something different - beyond my usual fare of nonfiction and murder mystery. I'm a fan of well-done YA, which fits here, mostly.

I put this one on my library ebook watch list as I really liked another title with a dead-teen-in-the-afterlife plot Elsewhere. I confess I liked that one a bit more, probably as I found it less . . . distracting. My loyal fans know of my dislike of plot re-hashing, so here's a basic plot summary
Vi (the Vi3tBabe)
The synopsis to this book sounded so interesting, despite the cover not being all that appealing, I just had to give this one a try. I’m so glad I did. I Woke Up Dead surprised me with how entertaining, funny, and relatable it is. I easily connected with all the characters, loved the aferlife world that Sheehan created, and I definitely wanted to see Sarah get her justice and find peace. Right away, Sheehan captured my attention with her engaging main character, Sarah, and I just loved being ins ...more
Novel Novice
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
An irreverent and compellingly unique story about death, grieving, and moving on, I Woke Up Dead at the Mall by Judy Sheehan successfully mixes the macabre and morose with a lighthearted twist on the afterlife.

Most books that deal with death and grieving tend to be on the dark, serious side. I Woke Up Dead at the Mall is a unique — and quite frankly, brilliant — combination of that dark, serious side with an uplifting, lighthearted twist. The result is an optimistic outlook on this macabre theme
Amanda
"Most malls are haunted. Did you know that? The Boy saves the extra-big one for New Yorkers."

I was immediately attracted to the cool cover and intrigued by the title. After reading a sample chapter, I knew I wanted to read this novel.

Sixteen-year-old Manhattan girl Sarah Evans wakes up dead at the Mall of America in Minnesota in her bridesmaid dress, the apparent victim of murder by poisoning. "I had actually kept my mouth shut, opting not to tell the bride that I'd never be caught dead in mango
Tabby
Apr 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
THE REVIEW

Why this book?

It seemed like a book for me

What I thought

This was a fun and light look of the afterlife. Sarah wakes up dead at the Mall of America, and she makes it her mission to save her dad from her murderer. There were some funny moments, sad moments, and some romantic moments. Sarah is a great protagonist! She's witty and determined. I also loved the other main characters. They all had interesting stories to tell, and were entertaining. The characters were also very realistic. Th
Ashlie Elizabeth
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
The premise of purgatory being The Mall of America struck me as hilarious, but what I didn't expect from I Woke Up Dead At The Mall was a streak of quiet loveliness that quickly elevated it for me. There are plenty of Our Town references (the newly murdered get their Thorton Wilder day, where they can go back and watch a single day from their life) and a Lovely Bones feel- longing for the living, trying to solve the crime that ended you.

I really enjoyed every part of this book- the quiet romance
Kristy Acevedo
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
i WOKE UP DEAD AT THE MALL is a zany, light-hearted story on death and the afterlife. Sarah wakes up dead at the Mall of America, a place where the murdered must learn to find peace and move on. She must learn to let it go and embrace the afterlife, but she has trouble when she realizes her murderer may still be targeting her family. Despite how dark and glooming this sounds, the book is energetic, fresh, silly, and hopeful.
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
I thought this would be a funny, sarcastic look at life after death - and it was - but it was also equal parts poignant and uplifting. And even though that's not what I was expecting or even looking for with this book, I found it endearing.
Lynn
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cute premise with a great snarky narrative voice fun of "deadly" puns. Sweetly romantic and although the message is overt it doesn't feel too instructive. I loved the setting and Sheehan had lots of fun with the shopping/fashion element.

Teens will kill for this one ;-)
Kdungan91
Mar 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
4/5
Morpheus: Anupriya- I Woke Up Dead at the Mall 1 2 Oct 18, 2016 02:26AM
#bookchat: I Woke Up Dead at the Mall 1 2 Oct 05, 2016 04:36PM
  • A Taste for Monsters
  • Scar Girl (The Scar Boys, #2)
  • Holding Court
  • Fortune Falls
  • Cloudforest (Cloudforest, #1)
  • Fifteen Lanes
  • Holding Smoke
  • Girl Last Seen
  • The Inn Between
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
  • The Forgetting (The Forgetting, #1)
  • Burn Baby Burn
  • The Hawkweed Prophecy (Hawkweed Prophecy #1)
  • Fire and Heist
  • Where Futures End
  • The Incident on the Bridge
  • Flashfall (Flashfall, #1)
  • Julia Vanishes

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
  • The Lotterys Plus One
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
  • Liars, Inc.
“Most malls are haunted. Did you know that?” 1 likes
“Turn your face to me
Turn your gaze and see
All the pain surrounding you
Every song you hear
With a heart sincere
Brings a chance for you to do
Something more
Be
Unknown
Be the one who does
More than she who was
Be alive in joy and hope
Be the one who does
More than she who was
Be alive in joy and hope”
1 likes