Jump to ratings and reviews

Earth Sentinels: The Storm Creators

Shaman Elizabeth Herrera’s personal experiences deeply influenced this poignant adventure featuring a group of shamans, a fallen angel and indigenous peoples who use supernatural powers to save the planet from mankind’s greed, corruption and indifference. Inspired by current events, Earth Sentinels leads you through the world’s most pressing issues, offering amazing insights while instilling hope.

“Riveting! A must read!” — Dennis Nighthawk, healer and spiritual leader, retired military, and member of the White Laurel Band of Cherokee

“A succulent portion of cold, hard truth played out with characters you share affinity with, understand and love.” — Mark Champion, founder of OurHealingMatters.com

268 pages, Paperback

First published May 18, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Elizabeth M. Herrera

6 books52 followers
ELIZABETH M. HERRERA is a shamanic healer and author of life-changing books. Her stories encourage people to stretch outside their comfort zones and reexamine their own beliefs.

She inherited her rebellious spirit from her father who was raised by his grandfather—a full-blooded Apache who smuggled sugar and flour from Mexico into Texas, exchanged gunfire with Texas Rangers and crossed paths with Pancho Villa.

Elizabeth was raised in a Christian home, but lost her faith in her early twenties. For over a decade, she searched for something to fill the void, eventually discovering Native American spirituality (shamanism). Through this spiritual practice, she unexpectedly became a catalyst for healing and miracles. These events led her back to a belief in a higher power.

Always drawn to the spiritual side of life, Elizabeth began her shamanic path in Michigan where she learned to shamanic journey with Stephanie Tighe (a certified Sandra Ingerman instructor). Elizabeth continued her studies through the Foundation for Shamanic Studies for shamanic journeying, soul retrieval, and death and dying (psychopomp), but her major source of learning has been from her spirit guides, who offer limitless guidance and lessons on living a more spiritual life. To learn more, visit her healing website at ShamanElizabeth.com.

Elizabeth is the author of Shaman Stone Soup (Memoir, Spirituality), and Earth Sentinels: The Storm Creators (Contemporary Fantasy), Dreams of Heaven (Spiritual Fiction), and Of Stars and Clay (Science Fiction & Fantasy).

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 (5%)
1 star
1 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 15 of 15 reviews
Profile Image for Katie Mettner.
Author 61 books820 followers
July 26, 2014
Earth Sentinels: The Storm Creators is not the kind of book I would normally read. However, the premise of the story drew me in because of my own real life experience with fracing in Wisconsin. I recently lost my home to the big oil companies and sand fracing companies who don't care about the earth, clean drinking water or the people in the communities they destroy.

The book begins with several different points of view from all over the world of native tribes, shamans from countries who have experienced natural disasters and tribes from the rainforests. The author did an amazing job of keeping the many different points of view clear and concise and you never felt confused. She made you feel invested in each character before she moved you on to the next and when they all came together into the Earth Sentinels you knew exactly who everyone was and what their reasons and mission were.

The Earth Sentinels used the spirit world and their totem animals to help create storms to bring attention to the damage that these large oil companies, and various governments, were doing to our earth. They didn't demand power, or money, they only demanded that the heads of government wake up and begin to see the damage taking place to the place we live.

The governments of course saw these storms as attacks and decided to retaliate with a war against the native tribes. I won't give spoilers, but the ending was fantastic!

This book raised a lot of questions in my mind as I was reading. Can we condone the acts of few to benefit many when their intentions are good and pure? Can we save our earth and make it a better place for our children and grandchildren? Are our hands tied by the big companies who have all the money and we are therefore left to our own devices in order to continue to live the dream of farming, organic farming and the like? Will we ever be able to recover our earth from the nightmare that is fracing or will our children and grandchildren have nothing but polluted lakes and unsafe drinking water because of what our governments are allowing to happen today?

I can answer a few of these questions from my own personal experience. Secretly, I wish there were Earth Sentinels to help us save our planet and show the powers that be what they are doing to our environment. Since there aren't, it is clear we need to work on these issues ourselves because if enough people raise their voices to the sky eventually we will be heard.

I highly recommend this book to everyone and anyone, including young teens and young adults. It's essentially profanity free, it is sex free and though there is violence in the terms of the storms, there is nothing in this book I wouldn't let my 10 and 12 year old read. In fact, my 12 year old will start reading it today! Thank you Elizabeth for writing a story that draws attention to the very important issue facing all of us today.
Profile Image for Merril Anil.
799 reviews72 followers
June 8, 2014
Beautiful

First of all a huge hug and thanks to Shaman Elizabeth Herrera , the author, for sharing the copy of her book with me. But do not take this as the reason why I loved the book. Yes I m grateful for the copy but there are whole other reasons why I loved the book.

Earth sentinels definitely stands out for the plot. The plot is fantastic and the way it has been treated makes for an interesting read. What I like about the treatment is the fact that the author has chopped the story into small blocks so that you are not caught up in too much intricacies and webs of the plot . You are able to move into the whole story gradually and fully involved and I thought ,that was a really clever way of narration. Had not been for this level of narration the reader would have gone lost because there are too many characters and individual stories and it would have been difficult to catch up with each character.

The story moves at a great speed and the language is beautiful as well. While first half introduces the entire characters. The second half is where the actual story comes into full bloom and does so pretty interestingly. In spite of telling a complex story involving a whole lot of characters, I felt the author eased the readers into the plot very delicately and keeping it intriguing.

I still don’t know how to describe the book as in spite of being filled with fantasy elements and mystical worlds, it is very much real and intertwined with the modern world. A great thought process is definitely visible in the story

The book for one has a pretty unique and interesting story line and with a good technique in narration, it does not burdens you with the plot and its detailing in fact the author has made it quite an easy read with an intelligent treatment in my opinion. The book definitely makes for an interesting read

How was it

1 review
May 16, 2014
I have been reading Ms. Herrera's work for a while now, and can say without question that this is my favorite of her works. The story is staged immediately, and within a few pages the reader is hooked. Covering some of this planets most pressing issues, the story weaves the reader through implications and repercussions of these issues and calls to light (and action) a surprising solution - addressing the root cause. This book is a "no holds barred" piece of literary realism that unapologetically presents fact within the storyline quite expertly – and with a kind of needful urgency that can make some uncomfortable. The author’s ability to point this discomfort out is quite clever, though she allows the reader to face it from behind a book, which I thought humorous and compassionate.

On occasion we all read a book that you know will mark the time of our age. In an age where truth is illegal, communication is regulated and monitored, and humanity is impaled upon the skewer of power and greed, this books message is every bit as telling and accurate as “Animal Farm” and “Fahrenheit 451”. It is a succulent portion of cold hard truth played out with characters you share affinity with, understand, and love.

I read this book in 3 sittings with a very hectic schedule. It’s a page turner, and I was left feeling like I wanted the story to continue. One can only hope this is a series. Quite simply, I LOVED this book.

Author 77 books100 followers
October 13, 2016
This is one of those books that's going to stand alongside classics like Mutant Message by Marlo Morgan. Drawing from Native American wisdom and the beliefs of a world filled with respect for nature and its spiritual elements, Herrera has created a global book of wisdom for a global world where no act impacts only the region in which it happens.

The only flaw comes with the prose connected to the angel who oversees the coming together of the many characters who act to save the planet. It's overwritten and, since it's in the first chapter, might put readers off the entire work. That would be a mistake. Read on, and find a clear prose that follows many characters through their lives and their actions.

For today and the future, read this book!

Want more like this book? Try The Family Made of Dust: A Novel of Loss and Rebirth in the Australian Outback (fiction) and Seven Sisters: Spiritual Messages from Aboriginal Australia (nonfiction).
Profile Image for Katrina Knittle.
178 reviews6 followers
May 22, 2014
Goodreads win. Will read and review once received.

This is my first time reading this author and I was amazed at her writing. Within the first 10 pages I was hooked on the book. I will admit I could not put the book down, to the point of of me forgetting about taking care of my household. I thought it was interesting how the storyline shows environmental concerns. I hope to find more books like this out there. Definitely, a book I will be recommending to friends.
Profile Image for Mountain Lady.
2 reviews26 followers
June 23, 2014
Captivating and enchanting while telling the truth that maybe many people don't want to hear, however this now sheds a light that may start with a flicker and help us to heal our world.
Kudos to an awesome book that left me laughing and crying for joy at the end.
This book is nothing short of genius. It is full of adventure, daring, supernatural powers, spirituality, native wisdom, and truly a story about love and how that can change everything… I think any reader will enjoy this fast paced engaging read.
Its a message we all need to hear and start sharing in our world today.
I'd give it 10 stars if I could, and highly encourage you to read this wonderful book and pass it on!
Read
June 15, 2017
This is a brilliantly written – or should I say woven – tapestry of our factual present and our possible future. A riveting story about how today’s corporate greed and political corruption is destroying our environment, and about how tomorrow’s citizens desperately use whatever help they can find to save Mother Earth at any cost.
Ian McKenzie-Vincent
Profile Image for Don Sloan.
Author 9 books9 followers
August 8, 2015
What do Tom Running Deer, Mahakanta Suresh, Marilyn and Larry Thompson, Billy White Smoke, and Mr. Petrola, Minister of Culture for the Republic of Peru, have in common?

They are all being persecuted by big oil and other greedy individuals and entities focused on raping the land and either squeezing out profits or extracting precious natural resources -- often at great cost to the land and its inhabitants.

In the Amazon rainforest, we even see them killing indigenous peoples trying to protect their natural habitat.

In this thought-provoking book, the reader is presented with a look at energy development around the world, and the damage it continues to cause. More than once, the ancient Great Spirit is invoked to help repel the invaders, but the cause seems hopeless. The aggressive energy industry representatives always return, and in greater numbers than before.

But the defenders are valiant in the face of the intruders. Billy White Smoke places serene faith in the Great Spirit to help, saying, "The Great Spirit never asks for more than we can give."

Council meetings lead to peyote-induced journeys, propelling some of the defenders into a mysterious spirit realm, seeking answers and champions for their cause. Zachary, whose grandparents' land is being ruined by oil industry "fracking," seeks help from a totem animal -- a beautiful talking horse named Cheva.

Meanwhile, in the rainforest, extraordinary developments are taking place as the natives there seek ways to repel the ruthless invaders.

"A blue door landed with a thud behind them. Startled, Pahtia and Conchita spun around, watching the door slowly open. A blue mist rolled across the ground, creeping toward them. Taslia said,'The answer you seek waits for you on the other side. But be careful what you wish for. . .'"

One by one, individuals from around the world who have been impacted by the energy giants gather beyond the blue door, seeking help and intervention from a fallen angel, who is eager to step in. Thus, the Earth Sentinels are born, and begin fighting on behalf of Mother Earth, who cannot defend herself.

The remainder of the book is a fascinating and highly imaginative look at what might happen if supernatural powers were harnessed to bring balance to the earth's resources again. I enjoyed it, and so will you.

I give Earth Sentinels five stars. This book was given to me in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Mati.
Author 1 book28 followers
August 8, 2014
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

While this book has a beautiful cover, and some great goals, I don't feel I was quite as taken to it as other readers. While I consider myself eco-conscious, much of the story felt very heavy handed dealing with these hot environmental issues. The politicians were always bad guys, out to steal the indigenous peoples land, and anyone who supported oil or nuclear power did so for their own selfish reasons. People were all dumb and ignorant, oblivious to what was going on. It had a very black and white stance on the environment, and what we should do to protect it. But I found that a little hard to stomach as a reader because the issues are always bigger than that.

I disliked that the books answer to saving the earth was to pretty much kill anyone that stood in their way. Innocent workers of these companies were swallowed alive by the earth, killed by wild animals, and killed by lightning. It just seemed a bit harsh to me. Why did the answer this book promoted have to be violence? Hopelessness? It acted like Native Americans were the only one who cared at all about the earth, and even the news stations treated them as the enemy. Personally, I'd just like to feel like we've come further than that... I wanted pictures of the scroll to do something, to sway people. I wanted to see individuals fighting for the earth, not just at the end. There are a lot of people actively fighting to be greener, eco-friendly, and to make the earth a healthier place. I just feel like this book diminishes their efforts.

This felt like a book written in anger, which makes it difficult to really enjoy for me. The romance felt forced, the characters regret for their actions just seemed temporary because there was no lasting consequences for answering violence with violence. This book just negates the battle people are already having to make a more eco-friendly environment. In the end, I'm just not a fan. This was just a very dark story, and it wasn't my cup of tea.
Profile Image for A.J. Leavens.
Author 2 books18 followers
August 31, 2014
An interesting look at today's rapidly changing world.

Earth Sentinels is a fast paced read full of action, intrigue and nature. Shaman Herrera takes a good hard look at many of the problems currently going on in the world, from fracking, to GMO crops to Nuclear meltdown. Right off the bat, we are introduced to Zachary, a teen who's organic farm has been contaminated by run off from the fracking operation not to far away.

Frustrated, and feeling unable to save his farm, Zachary has a near out-of-body experience, bringing him in contact with Billy White Smoke, a member of the local native band. Together, they embark on a quest to save Zachary's farm. As they do, they quickly realize that this problem is far more widespread than they anticipated.

Shaman Herrera's descriptions of the places in the novel are vivid, and clearly indicate personal knowledge of both locales and cultures. The story is paced at a level to make for an easy read, though I would have preferred spending more time in some of the locales, such as Pahtia's jungle paradise, or with the Bear Claw Tribe.

I felt that the book - from about the middle on - was slightly rushed. While there was a lot of action happening, the reader is too quickly taken from place to place, trouble to trouble, while the angel Bechard wreaks justice on a world unwilling to change. While the message is a valid one, and people do indeed need to change, I felt like I was sometimes reading a propaganda message. There were some things that I felt could have been researched a little more, relying on the reader to accept the basic facts and premise as it fits within the world of the story.

Overall, this book is an interesting read that will open the eyes of all who read it. Shaman Herrera's work is well worth the time, and has an important place in today's society. I would recommend this book to those who are looking for a novel to read while curled up in the sun or by your fireplace.
790 reviews18 followers
August 10, 2014
I received this book from Goodreads in exchange for an honest opinion.

For most of my life I have heard rambling conversations and heated arguments about polluted water and air, global warming, nuclear radiation, and toxic chemical spills. The biggest complaints assert that big business doesn’t care … that politicians have been bribed to ignore the problem … and that most people quietly carry on in ignorance. But, what would happen if the Earth decided to fight back?

In EARTH SENTINELS, Bechard, a fallen angel, has seen too much devastation and decides to become the focal point of a global group of frantically determined people who are desperately searching for a final solution. Using the spiritual world as a meeting place, the Earth Sentinels are formed, and they will not be silenced. Their fight is aimed at the greedy … the apathetic … and the ignorant with a devastating barrage from Mother Earth’s enormous power; a force so strong that the world’s leaders can no longer ignore the truth and must decide the fate of mankind.

Shaman Elizabeth Herrera has provided a timely and compelling tale that everyone should read …
especially the corporate world. This story is aimed at you. What will you do?
Profile Image for L.L. Reynolds.
Author 2 books104 followers
December 1, 2015
A friend suggested I read this book months ago. Although I'm an environmental advocate, I resisted. It was only because when I pick up a fantasy book I want to be transported to a different world, a world free of the problems we face here on a daily basis.

EARTH SENTINELS drew attention to the weighty environmental issues facing those of us living on earth in an interesting way. A wake-up call for sure! For me it was a little like taking cod-liver oil. You know you should take it because it is good for you, but it's a little hard going down. Perhaps that was the author's intention. After all, what is happening to our planet is not pretty.
Profile Image for Resource.
6 reviews3 followers
July 14, 2014
This is bar none - hands down, the best book I have ever read and for many reasons.
It is simple yet profound and has a brilliant message for our world!
Someday it will be a movie and a classic, of that I have no doubt!
1 review
November 27, 2016
Obvious Spoilers ahead. I am not going to explain specific events from the book as others have already done so. Instead, I will give my honest opinion and only that.

Plot-wise, the book was really captivating from the start. Man destruction of nature and/or environment was clearly emphasized in the first few chapters that we, as the readers, are forced to face the horrific actions of corrupt government and businesses officials. Their actions resulted in consequences to the multitude of characters which readers could relate if we were in their position. The characters' distress was well-written that readers can easily feel sympathy. That was to be expected. The corruptness of the government and business officials also evoked rage in my person at times; however, I felt as though their characters were childishly written among some other parts. For instance, the countries' leaders declared the sentinels' actions as acts of terrorism and chose to attack all tribes, even those innocent. In reality, I doubt these world leaders, of whom are highly intelligent, would have chosen to blindly declare war immediately. Not to mention, any dialogue exchange between the government and business officials seemed to be more juvenile than those between tribe members. It unsettled me on how the authoritative characters of the industrial world were dumbed down (slang, I realize), but the natives, tribes. spirits, etc. were wise in their words and ways. Not surprised at the corrupt officials, and there seem to be the "good" and "bad" of both sides, so I suppose it was not such a big deal.
Another feature I disliked, personally, was the romance that suddenly developed between a few main characters. I thought it was highly unnecessary, and the story could have done without the romance. Well, at least I believe so; however, I do think teens would enjoy the romance and love as it is. Combined with how some parts were written such as, a mother wailing "Noooo" in possibility of soldiers shooting at her family, made it seem like I was reading a terrible fanfiction (pg. 185). Again, minor dislike from me. We also could have read more of the angel. The angel himself seems corrupt in his own ways, but I would rather not focus on that. I also thought the solution for stopping the oncoming war was rushed. There was such a great build-up, that when it suddenly ended with the "Retreat" and the "Declaration of Peace," I was left unsatisfied as a reader. "That's it," I thought, "Really?" Perplexed how the problem was fixed, I had to go back and re-read what happened for "peace" to have happened. This was a major problem for me regarding this book.

On to more of what I liked. I enjoyed how the each chapter jumps from a person's point of view from one side of the world to the other side. With this type of organization, it pulls the reader to empathize with a certain viewpoint and encourages the reader to continue on for more of that viewpoint, which will obviously resume in later chapters.

Overall, I believe teens who decided to give this book a try will enjoy this. There were one or two swear words (if I recall correctly) and descriptive consequences from destruction by both sides, but nothing a teen could not handle.

Profile Image for Resource.
6 reviews3 followers
October 11, 2014
My favorite book ever!!
Wonderful fantasy adventure with profound message!
Displaying 1 - 15 of 15 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.