Start by marking “Dangerous Denial” as Want to Read:
Dangerous Denial

Dangerous Denial

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  31 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Denying the past proves deadly for BK Hartshaw and Trevor Mayhew in this gripping noir novel where nothing is as it seems. BK is a rising star at a public relations firm, and tonight's charity ball should be a high point in her career. But a closely guarded secret threatens to destroy her chance for happiness with the only man she's ever loved... a man who is also hiding a ...more
Published April 8th 2014 by Barking Rain Press (first published April 7th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Dangerous Denial, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dangerous Denial

OpenBookSociety.com
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kayt

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Kayt

I was not sure how much I would like this book as I read the information about it, but thought well let’s give it a try. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised and amazed at the depth and intrigue Dangerous Denial has to it. I loved this book. It seems to blast you with powerful subjects and writing at the beginning and then wraps those all back around to give you more intrigue and suspense as the book progresses. The c
Barbara Therriault
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was an ingeniously written novel. It had just enough suspense to keep me reading and wanting more. I hope there is a sequel in the future.
Lisa Turcotte
May 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great summer read...you will not want to put it down!
Priscilla
Oct 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
"No one messes with Lenny Mayhew and gets away with it, not even his best friend."

What a cleverly written book. I initially had set my mind on giving Dangerous Denial a three-and-a-half star rating, but the huge twist at the end made me change my mind.

I was introduced to possibly the cruelest character I’ve ever known. Props to the author for making him seem so real; he’s such a sick bastard. (Trust me, this is an understatement.) Lenny Mayhew is an extremely violent, disturbing character.

alt=

Dange
Lauren
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-read
Trevor Mayhew grew up in a broken home. His father abused him and his mom passed away when he was young. Trevor's grandmother was the only source of happiness in his life but he was forbidden from seeing her, until his grandmother took Trevor and ran away. Years later, the past catches up to him.

BK Hartshaw also had a less than loving childhood. Her mother favoured her other sister and, once their mom married a rich car mogul, the kids were basically forgotten. Trying to make something of hersel
Kari
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014, kindle
Dangerous Denial was a pretty quick read. I was able to read through it in an afternoon. I thought that the synopsis made it sound like a good concept, but the book fell a little short for me. The story follows BK and Trevor through their childhoods into adulthood. The two stories didn't seem fit together until almost the end of the book. The level of suspense that was supposed to be building just never got there for me. Maybe had there been less background in the beginning and more of the prese ...more
Elizabeth Ray
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I wish I could give this book 4.5 stars instead of 4! I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. I almost put it down in the beginning because it was heartbreaking and disturbing to read about Trevor's childhood, but I was glad I pushed through. That's really the sign of a good author that I was able to get so into the story and empathize with the characters so much!

BK's childhood is no nearly as traumatic, but just as interesting. Her mother's goal in life is to marry someone rich to supp
Charlotte Lynn
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a tough book. The history of Trevor's childhood is heart breaking. While BK's childhood is just as heart breaking. Their childhoods show the different type of abuse. Whether physical, verbal, or mentally abused it was hard to read about.

Dangerous Denial is written in an interesting format. Starting in the present day, it then goes way back in time to childhood. When the story lines finally intertwine things get very interesting. The twist threw me way off. Never had I seen that coming, y
Katherine P
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, mystery-read, kindle
The book was a roller coaster of emotions. It was one of those books you pick up even when you don't have time to read because you just have to find out what happens next. The end did get a bit disjointed as we jumped to several different scenes as well as different places in time but that could have been because I was reading so fast fast because I had to find out what happened next!

Full review: http://iwishilivedinalibrary.blogspot...
Marie
Aug 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, mysterious
From the back of the book: "Denying the past proves deadly for BK Hartshaw and Trevor Mayhew in this gripping noir novel where nothing is at it seems." I love this, because it's a very true summary of the book. Dangerous Denial does have mystery, a little regret, denial, and danger!

Denying the past.... Dangerous Denial sets the stage with the stories of BK and Trevor's childhoods. They didn't know each other as children, and they had quite different upbringings, but that just adds to the suspens
Jillian
Nov 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Dangerous Denial is the first work from author Amy Ray and let me just say, what a fantastic debut it was! Thrilling, gut wrenching and emotional, this book had it all.

Dangerous Denial follows the childhoods of two different children who have similarly awful upbringings. Trevor Mayhew had a horribly abusive father who hated him with ever fiber of his being and took all his anger out on Trevor whenever he had the chance. Trevor’s mother tried to keep him as safe as possible, as often as she could
Annabel Krantz
Nov 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Dangerous Denial dealt with some fairly serious issues that, unfortunately, affect far too many young people growing up. Domestic abuse, neglect, body shaming, teen pregnancy, abandonment… Trevor and BK share no connection throughout their childhood, other than their both having to deal with things that no child should have to. My heart ached, particularly for Trevor, as their parents slowly destroyed their innocence.

As the story progressed, Trevor and BK were freed from the clutches of their pa
Julie
Nov 08, 2014 rated it liked it
The story begins at the end, with BK Hartshaw at the charity ball she organized staring down a gunman. Trevor Mayhew is there too. Both have secrets to conceal. The story then returns to the past, to the story of Trevor's parents, and then to that of BK and Trevor as children. Neither had the ideal childhood. Eventually their stories cross paths, and everything comes together at the charity ball.

Dangerous Denial by Amy Ray is a mystery that unfolds over time. We get to know not only BK and Trevo
Jeff Deck
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
An intricate thriller that will keep you guessing

Amy Ray's debut novel introduces us to the parallel lives of BK Hartshaw and Trevor Mayhew, starting with a violent incident at a charity ball in the present and then zipping back to the past to show how these characters' lives were shaped by their childhoods and irresponsible parents, eventually leading us back to the final action and surprising reveals.

The characters in this book were easy to sympathize with as they grew up and struggled to find
Marcia
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Thrillers are not my usual choice to read. Between that and the unique format, I wasn’t sure what was ahead. BUT, rich details bring this well-told constantly churning thriller alive and kept me interested right through the nail-biting climax. With so many frightening edge-of-my-seat scenes, however, I still worried about how this tale would end. I usually can predict what will happen, but not this time, and WOW, what a clever, satisfying ending it was! (I recommend not reading too many reviews ...more
Natashya KitchenPuppies
Nov 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
This debut novel from Amy Ray has a sometimes simple tone to the writing that will likely mature with successive books but that did not detract from the fact that it was excellently paced and plotted with twists and turns that surprised even me.

You will likely be hearing a lot more from her in the future as she already has a considerable grasp on the mystery/thriller genre and how to keep the reader engaged.

Shirley
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
..a twisted and suspenseful climax. Easily read in one sitting, Dangerous Denial demonstrates this new writer's ability to create characters and situations that are difficult, a plot that ensnares, and most of all, it evokes an emotional response from the reader.
Peggy
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This thriller was written by a local author. Well plotted with a surprise at the end. I couldn't put it down.
Gloria Theriault
Oct 14, 2016
John Henry
Aug 22, 2014
Amy Ray
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Hannah
May 23, 2014
Xing FAN
Dec 28, 2015
Phyllis Wilson
rated it did not like it
Jan 08, 2016
Oct 20, 2014
Heather
Nov 27, 2014
  • Bluffing is Murder
  • Cabin Fever (Seamus McCree #3)
  • Death & The Brewmaster’s Widow (An Auction Block Mysteries, #2)
  • Fixin' To Die (Kenni Lowry #1)
  • Deadly Tasting
  • The Shiro Project (Consortium #2)
  • Address to Die For (A Maggie McDonald Mystery #1)
  • Seven Days to Goodbye (Trina Ryan #1)
  • How Secrets Die (House of Secrets #3)
  • Caught Bread Handed (A Bakeshop Mystery, #4)
  • The City of Blood (Paris Homicide, #3)
  • A Most Curious Murder (Little Library Mystery #1)
  • Ladle to the Grave (Soup Lover's Mystery, #4)
  • Clouds in My Coffee (The Country Club Murders #3)
  • The Question of the Missing Head (An Asperger’s Mystery, #1)
  • Thread and Gone (Mainely Needlepoint, #3)
  • Tea Cups and Carnage (A Tourist Trap Mystery, #7)
  • Deadly Assets (Allison Campbell Mystery #2)
Amy Ray lives near the short but picturesque seacoast in New Hampshire with her husband and daughter. Before becoming a writer, she owned an old fashioned five and dime store where, in addition to regular priced merchandise, she had a display of items that actually retailed for five or ten cents each. When not writing, she has rediscovered the joy of tap dancing.

Dangerous Denial is her first novel
More about Amy Ray

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things