Start by marking “The Other Eminent Men of Wilford Woodruff” as Want to Read:

Unknown Binding, 413 pages
Published October 28th 1994 by Zichron Historical Research Institute

Nat
May 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great, meaty, history-filled book. Vicky Anderson changed my opinion about many of these historical figures, and introduced me to others I had never heard of. The story of these men and women appearing to Wilford Woodruff in the temple, tied together everything I'd learned in history classes at school and gospel principles at church, and gave me a broader perspective on all of Heavenly Father's children. Definitely not a light read but totally worth the time and effort.
Angelyn
Jan 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting short biographies of the "other men" in Wilford Woodruffs vision of the men who came to him with the founding fathers that wanted to be baptized. Men like Edmund Burke, Samuel Johnson and many others. The writing is not superb but nevertheless very interesting.
Sean Grant
Jan 05, 2010 rated it did not like it
A Wikipedia search on each of these people would have been more interesting.
Michelle
Jul 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
So many men and women throughout history have been crucial to the Lord's work and His plan. It was enlightening to read about some of them and about their contributions.
Rebecca
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Loved reading about the lives of these men. Many who helped shape America.
Kristine
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is unlike any I have ever read. It also took a long time for me to finish, mostly because each new chapter is rich with details the lives and accomplishments of these 46 eminent men (including John Wesley, Amerigo Vespucci, William Wordsworth, and Christopher Columbus). I appreciated the author's focus on the good things in their lives; she purposely chose to focus her research and writing very little on the negative things that have been recorded about each of these men.

My absolute fa
G
Jun 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I've started my mom's copy and will have to finish it someday.. It is a light read, just an outline and description in a short chapter for each of the ~50 men. The author has planned to research for a sequel to include the over 75 eminent women that came and whos work was done.
From the Introduction: "We discovered in our years of historical research, that history written prior to 1920 was often written of great men and women who performed great deeds. After 1920, history has highlighted the mis
Rick
May 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Vicko Jo Anderson is another one of those non academic historians, which I feel are often the best historians. The approach she took to this book was very interesting. She goes through the less known eminent men that were baptized by proxy by Wilford Woodruff in the St. George temple. Anderson focused on developing concise 4 - 6 page biography of each man that descried their upbringing, their family life, achievements, and relationship with God. I was suprised at how many of the men were artists ...more
Monique
Feb 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: LDS readers, history enthusiasts
Recommended to Monique by: Lori Merritt
This book lets you dig in and feel a little bit like you can understand these men of the past and why they were eventually converted and requested their work done here on earth. It's interesting, thought-provoking, and even sparks a bit more interest in history for those who may not like history, although this work doesn't have the space to delve into much detail of history or more than a basic biography of the lives of the men in it. She was planning on writing a sister book, on the eminent wom ...more
Rebecca
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gospel-themes
A friend recommended this book and I loved it! It is an LDS related church book; so it may not appeal to all audiences. This book gives the autobiographies of the men who appeared in a dream to Wilford Woodruff and requested that he be responsible to see that their saving ordinances were completed. Each chapter is a "stand alone" chapter, so it's easy to pick up and read a chapter and then put it down.

I am so appreciative for all of the fine people who helped shape the history of our nation and
  • Ezra Taft Benson: A Biography
  • Mothers of the Prophets
  • Hope In Our Hearts
  • Change Your Questions, Change Your Life
  • Faith: The Essence of True Religion
  • Spencer W. Kimball, Twelfth President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Rock-Solid Relationships: Strengthening Personal Relationships with Wisdom from the Scriptures
  • Power to Become: Spiritual Patterns for Pressing Forward with a Steadfastness in Christ (Spiritual Patterns, #3)
  • Key to the Science of Theology
  • Secrets
  • Faith Rewarded: A Personal Account of Prophetic Promises to the East German Saints
  • Spiritually Anchored in Unsettled Times