Start by marking “Teaching with Fire: Poetry That Sustains the Courage to Teach” as Want to Read:
Teaching with Fire: Poetry That Sustains the Courage to Teach

Teaching with Fire: Poetry That Sustains the Courage to Teach

Reclaim Your Fire "Teaching with Fire is a glorious collection of the poetry that has restored the faith of teachers in the highest, most transcendent values of their work with children....Those who want us to believe that teaching is a technocratic and robotic skill devoid of art or joy or beauty need to read this powerful collection. So, for that matter, do we all."
Published October 10th 2003 by Jossey-Bass

To ask other readers questions about Teaching with Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teaching with Fire

Start your review of Teaching with Fire: Poetry That Sustains the Courage to Teach
Tasha
Jan 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teachers, poem collectors
Recommended to Tasha by: PFL
What an excellent collection of poetry. Includes greats from Billy Collins, ee cummings, Mary Oliver and Wislawa Szymborska. Not only did it remind me of some of my favorite poems I had forgotten about, but it also exposed me to some great new works, including "I Care and I'm Willing to Serve" by Marian Wright Edelman.

One of the teachers quotes poet Lucille Clifton: "Every pair of eyes facing you has probably experienced something you could not endure."
Jordan Stephens
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
Found this on a friend's desk at work. It's nice little selection of poetry intended to inspire educators. Each poem is book ended by essays or letters that usually touch on the poem. I found myself more interested in the poems, so I would catch myself skipping some of essays.

I might update this review tomorrow by listing some of my favorite poems selected. The book is back on his desk and I don't have it with me. However, the poem that has stuck with me the most was "I care and I am willing to
Paula
Mar 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Some of the poems in here are a bit hokey, but, for the most part, many are familiar and, in a strange way, inspiring (especially those that are taken a bit out of context). The personal stories that accompany each poem really do make the difference in this collection, though. I just wish that some of the more blatant editing oversights had been corrected.
Georgia Herod
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How I wish Id discovered Parker Palmer and the Centers for Teacher Formation and their retreats for teachers when I was teaching in high school and college. The definition of good teaching has been my philosophy: good teaching flows out of the identity and integrity of the teacher. Without question, the teacher is the most important part of any classroom, so who she is in the core of her being matters! What keeps good teachers in the classroom for the long haul when things fall apart and nothing ...more
Kammera
Jul 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: definitely teachers,poetry lovers
Shelves: poetry, favorites
This hs been a great pick-me-up over the years for me. The book contains various poems that teachers have contributed. And their thoughts and reasons why each poem resonates for them really hit home for me. Not an overwhelming book, but a gritty and realistic look at how teachers really feel as they impact and interact with children on a daily basis. The poems are really carefully chosen. You won't go wrong with this book.
Joel
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Well, the poems were good. But they aren't original to this book so I'm judging it based on its cover original content which, to me, after reading the first several entries, seemed to be only slight variations on the same theme of "we're teachers, students need pity, we need encouragement." If that's your thing this book is for you but it's not for me. Thanks anyway.
NTE
Aug 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Why did I stop reading poetry regularly, when I love it so much? I forget, sometimes, but then I read something like this, with so many good poems, and it makes me want to cry, thinking that I'll never be able to write like that.
Dioscita
Apr 01, 2008 rated it it was ok
I was given this book by my principal and, unfortunately, blew it off because she never impressed me as a person who had her finger on the pulse of ... well ... anything. Realizing now who helped bring this book about may just incite me to pick it up again. For now, the 2 stars remain.
Michelle
Aug 31, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: teachers and poets
Shelves: poetry, education
The premise was cool...poems about teaching and reflections (kind of Americans' Favorite Poems-style), but I'm picky about my poems and for me, the selection just didn't deliver. There were a couple of winners though.
Todd
May 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Really interesting anthology of poems selected because of what they say to classroom teachers. Cool concept.
Louise Hull
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My once touchstone book!
Lorry Perez
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Should be on every teachers bookshelf.
Jaynie
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
LOVED IT
Ted Mallory
Jul 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, teaching
Nikki Giovanni, Langston Hugh's, Wallace Stevens, Billy Collins, thank God for poets, poems, & poetry. Thank teachers for helping us to read poets. Thank God for teachers.
Lis
Aug 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love this collection of poetry and insight into the classroom. Inspirational even for those out of acadamia. I try to keep this one at arm's length.
Sheila
May 28, 2008 rated it liked it
inspiring for teachers to read a bit at a time
Lj
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love to reread this at the beginning of every school year. Inspires me and reminds me why I do what I do.
Jeannine
Sep 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great book!
Mr. Bangs
Oct 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
My advisor in college wrote this. It is a wonderful collection of poems. Every poem was chosen by a teacher and comes with an short story about how the poem "sustains their courage to teach."
Esther
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help, poetry
A good pick-me-up. Makes me think about what poem I would choose, were I asked.
Melissa
Feb 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
get it, RUN!
Andrea
Feb 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Received this as a gift from an 80 year old teaching mentor. It's a great bedside read!
Marilyn
Sep 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My favorite poetry collection ever!
Geneal
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love teaching and I love poetry, so this book was a word feast for me.
María
Dejuvu
Dec 25, 2013
Steve Boyet
Oct 02, 2011

• The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1)
  • The Best Lesson Series: Literature: 15 Master Teachers Share What Works (Volume #1)
  • With Rigor for All: Meeting Common Core Standards for Reading Literature
  • What Feeds Us
  • The Return of the Native
  • Every Scene By Heart: A Camino de Santiago Memoir
  • Girls' Club: Cultivating Lasting Friendship in a Lonely World
  • Dear Mr. Knightley
  • Heartland: A Memoir of Working Hard and Being Broke in the Richest Country on Earth
  • The Artistic Edge: 7 Skills Children Need to Succeed in an Increasingly Right Brain World
  • Soon
  • Daddy-Long-Legs (Daddy-Long-Legs, #1)
  • Teach Like Finland: 33 Simple Strategies for Joyful Classrooms
  • Reading in the Wild
  • The Morning Meeting Book: K-8
  • Teaching Children to Care: Classroom Management for Ethical and Academic Growth, K-8
  • Every Scene By Heart: A Camino de Santiago Memoir
  • Between Parent and Child: The Bestselling Classic That Revolutionized Parent-Child Communication

News & Interviews