Start by marking “Salted (Salt series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Salted (Salt series, #1)

Salted

(Salted #1)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  122 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Life isn’t better under the sea - a harsh reality of which teenagers Kellen Winstel and Garrett Weaver are totally unaware. Raised in the Midwest, far from the nearest ocean, their world is forever different when a hazing incident goes awry and one witnesses the other change in ways no one can explain.

Or so they believe.

Lenny Dolan is all too familiar with such changes and
Published April 19th 2014 by Aames & Abernathy Publishing (first published April 18th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Salted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Salted

Of Poseidon by Anna BanksForgive My Fins by Tera Lynn ChildsIngo by Helen DunmoreRising by Holly KellyThe Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Andersen
Best mermaid books
346 books — 864 voters
Sirena by Donna Jo NapoliIngo by Helen DunmoreHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingThe Tail of Emily Windsnap by Liz KesslerForgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs
Sea Creatures
597 books — 921 voters

More lists with this book...

Lou
Those who have been kind enough to provide me with ARC's have really opened up my eyes to other genres that I had not previously explored. That was definitely a mistake on my part. This would most likely fall intp the YA category but like most other books I have chosen from ARC suppliers, it has a range of different genres mixed up together including paranormal & fantasy.

For the most part, this novel was enoyable. The authors idea of what goes on beneath the waves was intriguing to say the l
Megan (ReadingRover)
Ok so the idea of this book is great! I even loved the characters. What killed me was the way it was written. The plot is a good one but the writing is just all over the place. Conversations were hard to follow as were POVs. I often had no idea who was supposed to be speaking. Characters would be switching from talking to mind messaging which is fine but mid convo it would also switch person so I would have no idea who was involved in what was being said.
Also the editing on this book was horren
Galit  Balli
3.5 stars :)

Note: I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Review
Plot/Story:

I really loved the overall story and the author’s intriguing ideas of the life undersea, however I was craving for more (of the right) details. I wanted to know and understand better of how this world works other than just a few images here and there.

The first few chapters were hard to read as the author showed us from the start tons of characters and I got a bit lost in all of that. After a while
Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick)
Oh man, you guys, I've got a treat for you.

We've been in a bit of a rut in the merbook business lately. Waiting for sequels, reading some filler in the time between, trying to earn money/find job to acquire said sequels (My Yogurt Mountain application does not need to make me question my purpose in life).

And then Salted waltzes in, and it blew my mind.

A largely romance free thriller and drama, Salted creates a fresh new mythology with a great ensemble cast of characters.

I don't want to give too
Mike A.
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
Salted by Aaron Galvin is a book that takes an interesting idea and does nothing with it. Instead of showing us how the merfolk live in todays time, their habitat under the sea is merely glossed over. Instead, we get a strange high school setting that seems taken from third-rate movies and an over the top chase in today's US. What to write about this book has cost me a lot of time and thinking. I could simply make a list with all the things that don't work in this book and the very few that do. ...more
Sabetha
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Overall the book was well written. I just didn't really get drawn into the story. It is very much a YA, and about High Schoolers. There isn't that much information about the Mer world.
Orchestta
This book was hurled at me by a friend, who knows my fear when It come to mermaid book, but who think may I enjoy this one

What does it mean to be 'Salted'?

When I started this one, I was not sure what expect. It's always nothing really original, nothing really 'catchy'.

But then, when I started reading, I couldn't put the book down, and really, I didn't. Finished it in a thing of hours.

The writing is amazing. Wondrously rich and full of imagination, transport you into a completely different world
Mati
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for my review.

It's always hard to find a unique novel on mermaids. I've seen a spin or two from time to time, but nothing really original, and certainly nothing I'd really describe as 'cool'. That was until I got the chance to read Salted. This is a creative take in somewhat unexplored territory that leaves the reader questioning and wondering as they go along. What does it mean to be 'Salted'? How do these character's s
Cassandra
My Thoughts - 4 out of 5 Unicorns - I really liked it!!!

The cover is beautiful! I love that it is simply a seal in the water :)

I stumbled onto this book and thought it sounded cool, so I bought it. The author contacted me about a week later asking if I wanted a review copy. I explained that I already bought it, and I would definitely review it once I read it. :) Of course, the rest of you are lucky, it is FREE now :)

This story is really amazing and creative. Being able to write is amazing all b
Marigold Dicer
Jul 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This book had a really interesting idea to it: selkie urban fantasy! The 'salted' humans could be traditional leopard seal-selkies, massive elephant seals, dolphins, and even sharks! Each animal determined the person's social status in the 'salt' (ocean). Honestly, the whole concept had me intrigued right from the start, throw in a coming-of-age/self-discovery subplot about a teenager who discovers his own heritage, and I should have been sorted.

Despite the novel concept, the execution didn't ho
Jaffa Kintigh
Folklores around the world tell of transmorphic sea creatures shifting into human shape and blending in with the unaware local human populous: mermaids [merrows, sirens], selkies [silkies], and kelpies
to name some more common forms. Often, a form of seduction transpires between the folk-creature and some humans. The deceptions often escalate to kidnapping, rape and slavery of either humans lured into the drowning sea or sea-folk trapped into a terrestrial existence until said time that they can
Sherlyn
May 10, 2014 rated it liked it
This review was originally posted on Mermaid With A Book.

I dove into this urban fantasy not quite knowing what to expect, save the fact that it didn't have any romance. The whole idea of selkie slaves sounded way beyond cool and I wanted to see how Galvin would translate and develop that into a complete story.

Salted has two main storylines: one storyline sees Lenny and his all-selkie crew on land tasked with capturing runaway selkie Marisa Bourgeois; the other has bullied high school student Gar
Cherry Hydock
Note: I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I loved the authors writing style. I love the unique idea to this story. I was not as interested in the "teen" feel to the atmosphere of the story. I feel like this book is written more towards the the teen perview than the young adult or adult mindset. The start of the book introduces a lot of characters in the start of the story and that did get a bit confusing. But once I was able to sift through them and get everyone strai
Ryan
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the story but thought it ended in an odd place.

Also, if a characta can't seem to rememba the "er" at the enda anybody's name, wouldn't "Racer" be "Rassa" or something equally phonetically annoying? This uneven application of dialect made the voice more grating than distinct for its accent. Also, there were a few spots where a copy editor clearly missed a spot, which was distracting when it happened.

That said, I will probably read the next book in the series as the story looks promising.
Lady Of
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Salted By Aaron Galvin Review

Was not what I expected when I first started reading. The book is pretty good with the characters well rounded and they do evolve within the story. You will find some characters you really root for and others you have complete disgust for them. Do read this wonderful book a new twist on Selkies and life under the sea.
Robin Edman
Jun 24, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sloppy writing, dialog that is truly terrible, and characters that are impossible to care about, whether protagonists or antagonists. I found the book unreadable. It's a shame, because the fantasy element is one that I've seen rarely explored. It would have been fun to read about a society made up of mythical sea creatures.
Susan
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While the book started a bit slow before long it pulled me in and I found I couldn't put it down. Aaron has created a unique world with interesting characters, I really enjoyed the book and look forward to reading the next book in the series. I received an advanced reader copy in exchange for an honest review. That being said I recommend this book.
Michelle De
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once I got a couple of chapters into the book, it started to make sense but at first, I was very confused. It needed more of an explanation or lead in to the world you were being drawn in to. Beyond that, once it starting making sense, a very good read. Can’t wait to start the next one.
Jessica Traver cashen
I absolutely loved this book, I couldn't put it down. Love that it is about Selkies/silkies and the imagination put into this book was amazing. I can't wait to read the next book. Gripping from beginning to end! I received an ARC copy for an honest review.
Angala Fox
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book. This was a great YA romance full of suspense and intrigue. I loved how the main character learns about life. Definitely a must read.
Krystin
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such an enjoyable book to read. The world is creative and engaging. The main character has depth, and I will definitely be reading the next one!
Shannon Doyle
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't grab my attention right away but once I got into the book I had a hard time putting it down. Not like any other YA book I've read. Has a sinister feel to it. Overall great book.
Jordann Grant
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written, i fell in live with the characters and I am so excited to read the following books in the series xx 😍
Natasha
It had interesting mythology but it was bogged by down by ya highschool drama
Pat Raab
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A most unusual story about the creatures of the deep, with "catchers" and "savers" fighting on opposite sides.
Rachel Simson

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/saltseries
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...
Author Image:
Author Biography:
Salted is Aaron Galvin's debut novel. He first cut his chops writing original stand-up comedy routines at age thirteen. His early works paid off years later when he co-wrote and executive produc
Leslie Ronish
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. The characters were quite dynamic and the background seemed realistic enough for a fantasy story. There weren't large holes.
books are love
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book will rock your socks off. Literally blow you away. The writing is amazing and the imagery and imagination put into this book that also has underlying dark tones and deals with alot of serious issues is simply put a breathe of fresh air to see. The world of selkies, silkies-salted or a salt child, and the land dwellers (us) that is woven and interwoven together as we see four different points of view and multiple plots slowly come together to reveal a wondrous and incredible book full o ...more
Tamara
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as a part of a Goodreads giveaway thanks to the author who wrote a nice little message in the front to me for winning.

And I really, really wanted to give it a higher rating than what I did. I entered the giveaway because I loved the idea of a book about selkies. I love selkies in general and to have a modern YA novel written about them was a very intriguing idea. However, the blurb hinted at something that was something more serious and had darker undertones than the actual
Sienna Logan (Lost to Books)