Start by marking “Manners” as Want to Read:
Manners

Manners

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  414 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
Making a good first impression, tipping for a haircut, dispensing with a large handful of cherry pits, and determining the so-called pedestrian passing lane on a crowded sidewalk are just some of the many etiquette conundrums we all face. As liberated as we've become in our dress and in our lifestyles, good manners are still essential.
Whether you're in Boston or in Phoen
Published April 14th 2004 by Simon Schuster (first published March 30th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Manners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manners

Maria
Feb 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2014
I don't know if I can give this book more or less stars. I borrowed this from the school library with the intention to use this for a term paper. However, I was not able to get any input.

This book has cute illustrations and simple descriptions on manners, and I guess it succeeded in that sense.
Lisa
Sep 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Kate Spade's etiquette trilogy is light hearted, modern, and fun. Manners is both right on the mark with its advice as well as with its random and silly miscellaneous information. The illustrations complement the mood and tone of the book.
Ashley
Nov 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Best for: Someone looking for a book of miscellaneous etiquette tips and lovely little watercolor illustrations.

In a nutshell: Iconic fashion designer Kate Spade offers some tips for being gracious in your daily interactions

Line that sticks with me: “But might doesn’t equal right, so to all ad hoc experts and lecturers please don’t pontificate on the paint. Lecture halls have seats; museums and galleries don’t.”

Why I chose it: I bought this at least two years ago. I reviewed the second in this l
Tina
Well, the least intriguing of the three, in my estimation, this work is basically a very pretty, illustrated representation of Emily Post. Of course, manners are always in style and should be strived for in interactions with others. I guess this one is a bit more digestible as a resource because of the friendly manner in which it is portrayed.
Kathryn
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
This is a great little book except that the print is so small. It was not easy to read in evening light. Having said that it had lots of little tips and things and I especially liked her break down of the different types of stationery.
Dana Kilbride
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Plenty of humor infused with good sense!
Jenn "JR"
Feb 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: teenagers, nieces, nephews
Shelves: etiquette
This is a cute book - not sure I would have paid $24 for it, however. It's got great illustrations but after the first half of this tiny tome, things start to thin out and there is more padding - such as two pages describing the sizes of standard business & personal letterhead papers (seriously??).

The book makes some nice points about etiquette, it also offers rhetorical questions on situations that aren't ever answered providing interesting points of discussion. I appreciate the emphasis on
Sandy
Jan 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
An interesting book with some good information on manners, but the format of this (and most of the other books on etiquette that I found at the library) is such that this wouldn't be the book to choose to look for answers to specific questions on etiquette. There is no index and each section contains an assortment of good advice, it is by no means complete or comprehensive. A good book to browse through when trying to learn more about manners, but definitely not a comprehensive reference book on ...more
Veronica
Apr 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Call me silly, but I found certain bits of information in this book to be useful.

For instance....I had been enjoying oysters on a half shell by simply lifting the shell to my mouth and swallowing. Well, I learned that unless you are enjoying oysters at a very casual place, such as a beachfront bar, oysters should be eaten with a shellfish fork....I've since changed my ways, but prefer them right out of the shell. It's the only way to get all the lemon, cocktail sauce, & horseradish that I p
Taryn Stansbury
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-pleasure, own
This book was adorable but filled with (what I thought was) common sense. Many of the passages were simple, like always be a good sport while playing games and don't do your nails at the office. However, some people definitely stand to gain from more common sense! She referenced Emily Post's book Etiquette a lot so that is going on the list. This is a good read for anyone who just wants to be a little bit more classy!
The Lost Lola
May 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lifestyle, etiquette
Another dull read from Kate Spade. Apparently, just her clothing is colorful- not her personality. If you want a good etiquette book, go for the obvious Emily Post. If you want to be told how one should behave in the most perfunctory terms, turn to Kate Spade. Here, you will learn the fine art of tipping a waiter (gasp!), how to eat french fries (with your- ready for this- fingers! le gasp!), and ignoring rogue mice when staying over at a friend's house (gasp- wait... what?).
Jewelianne
Feb 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Manners is a quick read about some, but certainly not all, of the basics of etiquette. Although the book does seem to get off topic in some instances (I'm not sure that including several pages of telegrams written by famous people throughout history is really necessary to show the proper way to write a polite letter), it is a useful guide to general social niceties.
David
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
A delightful little book. It's very simple and elegant in design and presentation. The subject is handled with grace and delicacy. While there are plenty of books on the subject, this is a worthy addition to the genre, without being redundant. The illustrations are lovely, and add much to the charm of this book.
Apr 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Kate Spades' tiny drawings keep me interested in this series. Her advice on manners is good, but not so practical. Yes, writing thank you notes and keeping your weekend guests in mind is always good, but I don't have a doorman to tip during the holidays, and I'll be damned if I never eat a peach in public again because it's messy. Love those drawings though...
Christine
Jul 17, 2009 rated it it was ok
Because nice really DOES matter. Do we try to be sincerely nice to people we are not fond of? I think, we think we do,but, really don't... we end up looking pathetically sad and sour grapes. This is a fun read... Although I don't have a doorman and I am not currently even close to her income level. So far I shouldn't eat certain things in a public setting. I can only take that so far...
e.c.h.a
Aug 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Nah..kalo seri yang ini...rada masuk nih ke gw....

Buku ini menginformasikan mengenai etiket dalam berbisnis dan pergaulan....gw selalu suka buku-buku yang membahas Manner alias etiket. Apalagi kalo buku ini memberikan informasi tata krama di setiap negara.

Intinya di mana-mana etika itu mengajarkan kesopanan.
Emily
Mar 22, 2009 rated it did not like it
Cute book but screams of snobbery. Manners are important but some of these passages have very little impact on day to day life. Then again, I'm the type who can't throw rocks about which knife or fork to use at a hoity-toity dinner, so perhaps it's simply a matter of taste.
Brenda
Apr 21, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was written for a couple of generations below mine who obviously have NOT been taught manners and decorum. Additionally it addresses technological manners which is greatly needed. I loved the quotes on the bottom of the right hand pages.
Iyswarya
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lighthearted, crisp and witty! Laughed out loud at few analogies.. Worth a read, if you are looking for an easy read to learn about etiquettes.
Jillian
Dec 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Lovely illustrations within.
Relyn
Jan 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: women
I really like Kate Spade. I just do. I like her. And I loved all the little watercolor illustrations that filled the book. Very nice. Very, very nice.
Angie Rouse
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So lovely. A fun and easy read.
Yasmin
Oct 05, 2008 added it
This book applied more to wealthy people in NYC than it did to me. It was very interesting, though.
Summer
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the information and the watercolor pictures inside.
Brittany Lindsey
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Kate Spade is the queen. While I already knew the majority of these rules, Spade's renderings bring the book alive.
Clare Cannon
Jun 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful and extremely helpful series, with a focus on making life pleasant for others rather than standing by rules for their own sake.
Hannah
Mar 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Cute read. Wouldn't pay $5 for it. Glad it was at my library.
Mary
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
A delight to read. The illustrations were just charming. Very stylish. What else would you expect from Kate Spade?
Think&Pink 2CleverBlog
This is a must read! Especially the cell phone part.
Trish
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2014
This is a cute book about manners. You can tell that it is 11 years old though on the parts about cell phones, faxes, and emails.
  • Tiffany's Table Manners for Teenagers
  • Prince Charming Isn't Coming: How Women Get Smart About Money
  • 1001 Things Every Teen Should Know Before They Leave Home: Or Else They'll Come Back
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Personal Finance in your 20'sand 30's
  • A Garlic Testament: Seasons on a Small New Mexico Farm
  • How to Be a Lady: A Contemporary Guide to Common Courtesy (A Gentlemanners Book)
  • Scaling Down : Living Large in a Smaller Space
  • The Wall Street Journal Complete Money and Investing Guidebook
  • How Rude!: The Teen Guide to Good Manners, Proper Behavior, and Not Grossing People Out
  • Things We Love: Twenty Years of Inspiration, Intriguing Bits and Other Curiosities
  • Emily Post's Etiquette
  • The Career Guide for Creative and Unconventional People
  • The Style Strategy: A Less-Is-More Approach to Staying Chic and Shopping Smart
  • The Meat You Eat: How Corporate Farming Has Endangered America's Food Supply
  • Things I Wish My Mother Had Told Me: Lessons In Grace And Elegance
  • 33 Things Every Girl Should Know About Women's History: From Suffragettes to Skirt Lengths to the E.R.A
  • Toward a New Psychology of Women
  • The Lucky Guide to Mastering Any Style: How to Wear Iconic Looks and Make Them Your Own

“Cynicism is intelectual dandyism, but graciousness in speech is an aphrodisiac. (Andy Spade)” 3 likes