Start by marking “Style” as Want to Read:
Style

Style

A few lucky women have been born with style -- think Diana Vreeland and Jacqueline Onassis -- but for most of us, style is something that comes with time and experience. Above all, style begins with a sense of who you are and your self-confidence. Style comes from opening yourself to the world around you -- to books and movies, art, music, travel, and especially to other p ...more
Published April 14th 2004 by Simon Schuster (first published March 30th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Style, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Style

Relyn
Jan 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: style lovers
Recommended to Relyn by: I love Kate Spade
I do love these books by Kate Spade. There's one left to read and my library doesn't own it. I'm going to have to track it down. I guess the thing I love about these books is that Kate Spade has a clear and defined sense of style and it informs her whole life. Obviously. She makes her living at it. But, what I mean is this: though style informs her life and she loves fashion and good design, it doesn't take precedence over more important matters. She is obviously committed to good manners, close ...more
Sheryl
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Delightfully civil, elegant
Emily
Jan 27, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: borrowed
Boooooring. I like Kate Spade's style overall. It's very clean and and rather preppy but with quirks. All the quirkiness is sucked out when it is prescribed into rule/guidelines. The best part of the book are the quotes attributable to people other than Kate Spade!

Then again, what can you expect from a book about style? I was hoping for inspiring images akin to the Kate Spade ads which are full of whimsy and good ideas for style. Instead the book is filled with not very interesting illustrations
Andee Nero
Apr 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Your opinion of this quick-read will come from what you are expecting of it.
Will it change your life? No.
Will you get to look at delightful drawings accompanied by Spade's repetitive lists of her favorite things? Yes.
It is a rather silly book with little actual advice, but it was fun to look at and the size charts throughout the text will provide a useful reference resource in the future.
Ashley
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
I was drawn to this book because I usually like Kate Spade’s designs. The color combinations aren’t always my thing, and I wouldn’t wear everything she makes, but she definitely has a point of view. I figured this book might help me out as I try to sort through exactly what my own style is, beyond dresses with pockets. Aren’t dresses with pockets are the best? I don’t understand why more shops don’t sell them.

But back to the book. I’ve finished it and I’m still not entirely clear what Ms. Spade
Ashley
Feb 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: rich people who care more about elegant fashion than me
1.5 Stars

Style is bright and appealing with its simple watercolor-like illustrations throughout, but it fails to be anything more than a coffee-table book. Flip through a few pages, and you're done; in fact, I had a hard time reading it from cover to cover.

I guess it just all came down to my expectations versus what the book actually turned out to be. I was thinking it would contain more practical style tips for the average person, such as how to create multiple outfits from the same closet
Evin
Feb 12, 2009 rated it liked it
This cute little book has many useful visual ideas and stylish prompts. Ideal for someone who has no sense of color or fashion. Though this book is a nice resource offering some clever ideas to those of us who have a sense of style. The sizing charts are also practical even though each designer tends to have a different perception of the dimensions of a size six figure.

I enjoyed my first reading of the book and like the watercolor illustrations. Admittedly, I won't be referring to many of the p
Emily Shaw
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Kate Spade is my absolute favorite designer and brand, so I was very intrigued to pick this book up. However, I was very disappointed after reading this. This book focuses on different aspects of style, specifically in Kate Spade trends and colors. This just seemed extremely pointless to me. It's great to learn about the Kate Spade style, but everyone's style is different and unique, so a book explaining one particular style seems useless. This was a cute idea, but was not executed effectively t ...more
Melissa
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I love Kate Spade and have several purses and some jewelry/watches. That being said, while her book was incredibly charming, it was so incredibly unrealistic when it comes to 'style' for the average person. Maybe if I had someone to dress me every day, and a zillion dollars, I might be able to dress the way she chats about in her book. LOL I felt rather inadequate looking at my closet - I have zero possibilities to be stylish like Kate Spade.
Kari
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
I think this book was disappointing because it wasn't what I was hoping for. It didn't seem to give any advice for the fashion-challenged - it was more like a peek into Kate's closet without a lot of explanation why what was there was there. I love her design...but this book didn't really help me understand how she thinks. The last section on caring for your clothes was the most helpful.
Dec 12, 2007 rated it really liked it
I love the format of this book. Tiny, boldly printed watercolor drawings are sprinkled across the pages, illustrating some of Spade's references from books, movies and magazines. While some of Spade's preferences for certain styles are out of most people's league, the book and her comments are charming. Having borrowed this from my library, I will be purchasing it for my own collection.
Anna
Oct 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
Half the time she's quoting her husband, and most of the time she's recommending dated styles and reading materials. Bring on the practical and the long-standing. State your assumptions and your time periods. And for goodness sake, stop writing factoids in tiny four-point font at the bottom of each page.
Terri
May 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, fashion
This was a cute book of tips and thoughts by a hughly respected designer. I particularly like Kate Spade's use of color. The book talks about various colors and how to use them. talks abotu accessories and their importance and fun. And then there are helpful tips on caring for clothes and jewelry. And fabric guides. A light intro so to speak. Not a lot of substance but a quick light read.
Hannah Givens
Jan 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Charming as inspiration. Don't expect a lot of concrete advice, and there are no photographs, just drawings. I don't mind that... The idea is "Why, I'd love a pink coat!" not "I've got to have THAT pink coat."
Staci Magnolia
A cute little book with color designations.....
Not much is ever out of style if you wear it well....
New Yorkie Kate's view on everything from scarves to umbrellas and that perfect black dress.....
Kristen
May 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This one sits permanently on my desk.
Thumbing through never fails to inspire and her fashion 'rules' are a fantastic guideline and starting point.
The illustrations are fabulous and almost deceptively simple.
Definite keeper!
Cheryle
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love these kinds of books! Lots of personal anecdotes, thoughts on the subject. Spade interjects quotes by fashion icons, as well as her husband, Andy. Illustrations are hand-drawn, making the text more intimate.
Jen
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own-it
The small illustrations and "color palette" off to the side really made this book interesting for me. It is always nice to hear what a style icon thinks, and I found this to be an interesting, cute read.
Tina
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Typical, thus no 5-stars. However, I appreciate the classic yet unique perspectives of style across multiple genres which Spade represents. Quick read, lovely illustrations, and some great personal style & entertainment recommendations.
e.c.h.a
Aug 04, 2009 rated it liked it
Buku ini membahas tentang bagaimana berpenampilan, mulai dari mix & match. Banyak ilmu yang bisa di dapt dari buku ini. Dasar gw memang suka gk aware sama penampilan, tetep aja habis baca buku ini belum berubah menjadi orang yang stylist hahahaha
Kathryn
Dec 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Written by someone who has more money to spend on things than I do, yet it was still fun to read her thoughts and opinions. She weaves little tid-bits about her husband throughout the book which was fun.
Rebecca Wood
Mar 06, 2010 rated it liked it
A fun quick read - I really like the watercolor illustrations.
Jamie
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this classic! I refer back to it regularly.
Kelley
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fun and frothy, especially liked the segments on different colors.
Lauren B
May 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Short and simple, but always classy.
Jennie
Jul 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Cute and fun; perfect for tips on garment care and fashion basics. Style can be subjective so Kate sticks with a lot of the classics. Quotes, movie and book suggestions throughout. Fast, fun read.
Michelle
Mar 10, 2008 rated it liked it
this was a nice book and very cute. I think it would make a nice gift.
Andree Lachapelle
Dec 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
A great reference book, filled with cute illustrations and quick and easy tips on how to pull off fashions, food, and social functions with flair and, well, style!
Bianca Woods
Jan 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fun read, but better viewed as an inspiration piece for people who already have a developed sense of style rather than a primer for beginners.
Kirsten
Aug 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Birthday gift from my husband. Fun tips and insight into Kate's designs.
  • The Style Strategy: A Less-Is-More Approach to Staying Chic and Shopping Smart
  • Things We Love: Twenty Years of Inspiration, Intriguing Bits and Other Curiosities
  • Chanel: The Vocabulary of Style
  • The Lucky Shopping Manual
  • Audrey Style
  • The Lucky Guide to Mastering Any Style: How to Wear Iconic Looks and Make Them Your Own
  • The Bombshell Manual of Style
  • I Love Your Style: How to Define and Refine Your Personal Style
  • Vogue: The Covers
  • The ELLEments of Personal Style: 25 Modern Fashion Icons on How to Dress, Shop, and Live
  • 100 Years of Fashion Illustration
  • How to Be a Budget Fashionista: The Ultimate Guide to Looking Fabulous for Less
  • Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty
  • Style A to Zoe: The Art of Fashion, Beauty, & Everything Glamour
  • Classy: Exceptional Advice for the Extremely Modern Lady
  • The Fashion File: Advice, Tips, and Inspiration from the Costume Designer of Mad Men
  • InStyle: Secrets of Style: The Complete Guide to Dressing Your Best Every Day