Start by marking “The Duke's Disaster (True Gentlemen, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Duke's Disaster (True Gentlemen, #0.5)

The Duke's Disaster

(True Gentlemen 0.5)

Noah Winters, Duke of Anselm, exercises the pragmatism for which he’s infamous when his preferred choice of bride cries off, and her companion, Lady Thea Collins, becomes his next choice for his duchess. Lady Thea’s mature, sensible and even rather attractive—what could possibly go wrong?

As a lady fallen on hard times, Thea doesn’t expect tender sentiments from His Grace,
Mass Market Paperback, 439 pages
Published April 7th 2015 by Sourcebooks Casablanca

To ask other readers questions about The Duke's Disaster, please sign up.
Sarah So far this is a standalone. It does briefly mention a few characters from her previous series but that's all it is, a mention of a name you might…moreSo far this is a standalone. It does briefly mention a few characters from her previous series but that's all it is, a mention of a name you might recognize. (less)

Start your review of The Duke's Disaster (True Gentlemen, #0.5)
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
“You are a traitor of the most shameless sort, to me, to your calling, and to your kind.” Noah lowered himself to Thea’s bed and passed a steaming cup of tea through Thea’s field of vision. “If you didn’t catch the occasional, and I do mean occasional, mouse, you would be relegated to the stables for the rest of your indolent days.”

“We’ll shear you next spring, cat,” he threatened. “You’d better perfect your bleating.”
Must. Refrain. From. Giggling.

Too late. BWAHAHAHAHAHA. How can you resist a
Anne
Jan 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of that kid from American Pie...and his sock.
3.5 Choking the Chicken Stars

I didn't realize it when I picked this book out, but I'd read another book several years ago by this author.
I'm honestly glad I didn't check beforehand, either...
So. And I have no idea if this is a running theme in her books, but from judging from my experience with these two, Burrows likes writing about dudes jerking off.
Not that there's anything wrong with that...

description

In all fairness, I only thought it was slightly creepy that Noah had to spank his monkey before
Caz
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars, but rounded up.

In The Duke’s Disaster, Grace Burrowes paints an incredibly realistic portrait of the situation faced by two people who marry for the sake of expediency and then realise that they will have to work at it if they’re going to have any chance of making a go of things.

Noah Winters, Duke of Anselm, comes from a family in which the men are famed for their sexual promiscuity. Unlike most of his male relatives, Noah is not licentious or irresponsible – not that it makes much
Angie
Feb 02, 2015 rated it did not like it
I received an ARC through NetGalley.

The Duke's Disaster is truly a disaster. This book made me so angry in places! I was excited to read this one, since it was the Historical Romance version of a fake relationship turned real. Noah Winters needs a wife, since he needs heirs. The woman he had been courting accepted another man's proposal, so he turns to her companion. Thea is luckily in need of a husband, since she needs protection for herself and her younger sister, because their brother is
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker
Oct 12, 2014 rated it really liked it

Deep, deeply moving.
Heartbreaking, heart lifting.
Long.
Overly done.
Emotionally weakening, emotionally strengthening.
Sadly vulnerable, Hopeful loving.

A very adult read were the leads use their words in a very overtly hidden emotional way.
Andrea
Aug 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
I quite liked the premise of this book: Duke marries the companion of his intended fiancé because that one has fallen in love with someone else and they both decide to make things work.
I did like Noah at times. He was sweet, understanding, talks to his cat in his best stern voice, but in the end, there was a big misunderstanding (because there has to be one...) and he didn't handle that at all acceptably for me. It was nicely written, sometimes even funny (the conversations with the cat come to
Lady Wesley
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-o-c
I have to think about this before rating or writing a review. As much as enjoyed this book, there are a few things in it that I did not like at all. How much should that affect my overall rating? Am I being too nitpicky?

After writing the above, I decided that I was indeed being too nitpicky, and gave this book the full five stars. This is simply a lovely story of two people who marry for convenience and then have to figure out how they're going to go on for the next few decades.
Jan
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
3.5 stars. Prequel novel to the ‘True Gentlemen’ series. I enjoyed this book about Noah, conscientious and hard-working Duke of Anselm, rather lonely, and wants to get married out of duty to his title and inheritance. Noah is a likeable MC, although there were a few times when I wanted to wring his neck!

Thea is also likeable, a woman of some integrity who has tried very hard to mentally get past some unpleasant experiences from her past. Of good birth, but being the orphaned and impoverished
Jacob Proffitt
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: steamy, romance
I feel like I should like this a lot less than I did—mostly because Burrowes does such an awful job cheating by giving her characters random attitudes towards sex, virginity, and promiscuity. Seriously, both Anselm and Thea have very modern (even progressively modern) views of family and children and, to an extent, sex. And yet they also display a shameless double-standard with regards to women and wives. Burrowes has enough sense to keep these attitudes internally consistent, but I still ...more
Kathie (katmom)
Happy Release Day!!!

This was wonderful. I started it, thinking I'd read just a couple pages...yeah, right. I finished it in two days. While Ms. Burrowes has written a huge stack of books, they are all different. I don't start reading and thinking, "Gosh, she's done THIS before." Nope...all different.

This one starts right off with Noah having been set aside by the giddy, young thing he's been wooing, and, since he needs a wife, he immediately asks her companion, Lady Thea, to wed him. A week
Dianne
Another of Grace Burrowes’ historical romances that promises to feel a little different, but filled with her signature enchanting and warm with a few drops of humor here and there that bring her characters to life. The Duke’s Disaster is about learning to trust, looking for the positive and living life for yourself as much as for anyone else.

Noah is a young man with the weight of being the protector of his family on his shoulders, being practical and rather cold, he narrows his list of
Ilze
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: grace-burrowes
If the book had stayed true to its beginning as a character-driven marriage of convenience story, I would have given it 4 stars, and I would have accepted the rather improbable setup for the rape of the heroine (which happened before this book starts) without any comments. But as it is - the book was ruined for me by the gross, badly-plotted and ridiculous blackmail plot, which uses the heroine's rape as its pretext.

One example of the crappy plotting: it's the final night of the hero and
Erica Chilson
DNF: automatic 3 stars because I won't penalize the author because the story/writing style/ and/or author's voice wasn't for me. I received a copy of this book for reviewing purposes. As a DNF, I don't feel it necessary to state which blog.

In all fairness, I do believe I should explain why it was a DNF. First, I will state that I am not new to Historical Romance. Second, as an author of 16 published works, I should hope I'm literate and proficient enough in my own craft to read a book.

I feel
Aoi
Apr 02, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: hf-england, dnf
My god, the hero was a world class jerk! His behaviour is probably realistic for his era and station in life; but this isn't what I look forward to from my historical romances..

The Duke's Disaster started off wonderfully- both Noah and Thea entering into their marriage of convenience with pragmatism and a modicum of respect for one another. It all went downhill on their wedding night.

(view spoiler)
Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~*
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: grace-burrowes
Setting: England 1800s

The young woman that Noah Winters, Earl of Anselm has been courting, accepts another mans proposal..so now what is he to do?
He quickly turns his attention to her companion, Lady Thea Collins. Noah believes Thea will make a nice biddable wife, but Thea has a secret that could destroy her marriage. First, Thea is not the innocent Noah believes her to be, and so when she reveals the truth, he then refuses to consummate their marriage until he can be sure any child would be
Mei
Sep 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
I didn't hate it, but I didn't loved it either...

I really don't know why... It could be that there was something about the writing style and the dialogues that didn't sit weel with me...

The story is actually cute: first marriage then love and the characters were nice too, so it could be just me! *shrug*
Jultri
4.5/5. This author has always shown such potential in her wonderful prose, but from past experiences with her books, she often does not back it up with a solid plot and likeable characters. Well, she has hit the jackpot this time with endearing characters you just want to hug and crush on and a heartfelt plot told in beautiful prose - the kind to evoke laughter and tears.

Noah Winters is the Duke of Anselm, outwardly in control, intimidating and authoritative as a duke ought to be. In reality, he
Sharon L
Mar 03, 2015 rated it liked it
This is the story of Noah and Thea. Noah is a duke in need of a wife; Thea is a lady's companion and the daughter of an earl. Her parents died some years ago and hard times and the need to support her family forced Thea out to work.

At the end of the season Noah finds himself with no fiancée and so he decides to offer for Thea, the two marry soon after and this is where something goes mildly wrong.

You see, Thea did not make it to the wedding night virginal. Ooops.

Being married slowly Thea and
Cheesecake
Noah the blind fool and Thea.
Not that I didn't like Noah. He has a nice growth arc throughout the story. Mostly because everyone he knows tells him he's being blind.
Noah meets Thea when she is a companion to a girl he is courting. He doesn't particularly care about the girl and when that all falls through, he decides to strong-arm Thea into marriage.
But Thea has something she needs to tell him and never seems to get a chance...
It's pretty obvious, and yet it runs through most of the story. But
Angie Elle
Feb 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Thank you to SOURCEBOOKS and Netgalley for providing a review copy in exchange for an honest review.

I fell in love with Grace Burrowes’ writing last year when I read her Captive Hearts series. Her books hit the spot for me with the way her characters evolve and the amount of emotion she delivers in every word. The Duke’s Disaster fell right in line. It’s the stunning love story of Noah, Duke of Anselm, and Thea, the Lady’s companion he decides to wed. Noah and Thea are in the same boat, as they
Katinka (Unquietly Me)
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
It seems like I'm the only reader who interpreted the couple's wedding night as nonconsensual. In the ARC I received from Netgalley, the heroine tells the duke in the act of sex to "please, stop." He doesn't stop, continues to penetrate her, hushes her up and tells her to relax. She asks him to get off of her more emphatically. He doesn't withdraw. Instead, he wonders if he can "come" without moving while still inside her. When he finds out that she wasn't a virgin, he thinks of her as and calls ...more
Nadia
Oh, what a lovely read this was!

The Duke's Disaster feels like such a breath of fresh air in the Regency Romance genre. I was captivated by the first time Thea said "Kiss me" and I had trouble putting the book down. I loved that at any moment I couldn't tell what would happen next because I had no idea where the story might go.
This book was sooo good. A must read for HR fans.
Sophia
I was hooked in by the blurb and the promise of a new series by an author I enjoy reading. And the title, how could I resist a duke's disaster?
Actually, it was a near thing because this duke and his 'disaster' had some iffy moments at the beginning, but I stuck with it and was so glad I did. This is a poignant story with some deeper issues and twists than could be seen from the start. From a marriage of convenience grew a passionate love and I was glad to get the chance to read about it.

The
Laura the Highland Hussy
Read this review on Got fiction? book blog

Noah Winters, Duke of Anselm is in need of a bride. It's very briefly mentioned that he has to marry before a certain year or something (it really wasn't detailed). Noah spends the Season courting a young debutante, who then becomes engaged to another man. Noah switches his attentions to her companion Thea. Being that Thea is the daughter of an earl, it's quite a good match. But this is never really mentioned as such.

The beginning starts of well, it's
Jilly
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If Khanh gives a book 4 stars, you had better believe that I will read it! :) And, I am so glad I did! It was smart, funny, and enchanting. I think I love Noah. He is one of the best male leads that I have read in quite a while.
"You are not to ignore me," Noah muttered.."I am lord and master of all I survey, including your great worthless self."
"Don't be eyeing the cream pitcher, shameless wench. Your figure is showing alarming signs of your weak morals, and you do not deserve cream."

"But,
Nefise
3.5 stars.

I liked it very much at first quarter. Then my curiosity increased charter by chapter. Hero and heroine were both sincere and likable characters. Their waking up and breakfasting routine was nice to read in an HR story. After a while, however, their banter and talking was nice to read but keeping their feelings or important things about their past started to getting on my nervous. I think at that point author lost me for finish the book very satisfied reader.

It was well written story
Tin
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Disclosure: I requested this ARC through Netgalley. Thank you to Sourcebooks Casablanca and to Grace Burrowes for the opportunity. Yes, this is an honest review.

* * *

The plot itself is simple: he's a single duke in possession of a good fortune, and he's in want of a wife*. Unfortunately, the wife he had in mind is marrying someone else. With the season ending, and with the duke wanting to keep to his schedule, he settles on the next best thing: the lady's companion. Lady Thea is surprised to
Julie
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Duke's Disaster by Grace Burrowes is a 2015 Sourcebooks Casablanca publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

How nice, as always, to pick up a novel by Grace Burrowes. This is a such a wonderful story, with snappy dialogue, wit, mystery, and a clever reminder about double standards and drawing conclusions without all the facts, and learning to trust. but of course it was the slow, sensual, sweet, sexy love story between
Amanda

*Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for giving me an ARC for review*

I've read several books by Grace Burrowes and I've never been disappointed by any of them. Each book is fresh and interesting, with a writing style that leaves no question why Mrs. Burrowes is one of the most well-known romance writers.

At first, I was concerned because I didn't quite love the way the book began. It starts in the middle of a conversation between the two main characters and I wish there was a bit more of a
Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
Feb 02, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: one-star-books, dnf
DNF. I tried, but couldn't hack it. Unfortunately it wasn't just the Duke's disaster, it was the author's as well. I've read a number of this author's books and I have liked most of them. I don't know why but occasionally she just plain annoys the hell out of me and this was one of these books. The language, a total mix of modern and pretentiousness masquerading as historical. I've complained of this before with this author, that I think sometimes she wants to plop in some "big" words to, I ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Love and Other Perils: A Regency Novella Duet
  • Say No to the Duke (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #4)
  • Someone to Honor (Westcott, #6)
  • Someone to Remember (Westcott #7)
  • The Arrangement (The Survivors' Club, #2)
  • Heir to the Duke (The Duke's Sons, #1)
  • Not Quite a Wife (Lost Lords, #6)
  • Nowhere Near Respectable (Lost Lords, #3)
  • The Marquis She's Been Waiting For (The Marriage Game, #9)
  • Devil's Daughter (The Ravenels, #5)
  • Not Always a Saint (The Lost Lords, #7)
  • Shameless Duke (League of Dukes #4)
  • My Duke Until Dawn (The Duke’s Secret, #6)
  • A Second Chance With a Duke
  • Sometimes a Rogue (Lost Lords, #5)
  • The Wallflower Wager (Girl Meets Duke, #3)
  • Brazen and the Beast (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #2)
  • Project Duchess (Duke Dynasty, #1)
Grace Burrowes started writing as an antidote to empty nest and soon found it an antidote to life in general. She is the sixth out of seven children, raised in the rural surrounds of central Pennsylvania. Early in life she spent a lot of time reading romance novels and practicing the piano. Her first career was as a technical writer and editor in the Washington, DC, area, a busy job that ...more

True Gentlemen (8 books)
  • Tremaine's True Love (True Gentlemen, #1)
  • Daniel's True Desire (True Gentlemen, #2)
  • Will's True Wish (True Gentlemen, #3)
  • His Lordship's True Lady (True Gentlemen, #4)
  • My Own True Duchess (True Gentlemen #5)
  • A Truly Perfect Gentleman (The True Gentlemen #6)
  • A Lady of True Distinction (True Gentlemen #7)
  • A Woman of True Honor (True Gentlemen Book 8)
“Thank you. Thank you, Noah, thank you, thank you.”
By sundown, Thea could throw the damned thing with deadly accuracy. At bedtime, she asked if Noah would mind if she slept with it under her pillow every night.
He assured her he would not.

* when Thea gets a knife from Noah”
2 likes
“You’d call this fellow out, whoever he is?”
“In a bloody heartbeat. When this silly house party is over, we’re going into Town and buying my duchess a handsome little pistol to carry in her reticule, and we’re showing her how to use it. Then we’ll explain bullwhips to her, and get her an archery set as well.”
Harlan took the terrace steps two at a time. “Noah, what are you going on about?”
“Marital bliss, Harlan, wooing my duchess, and the kind of family we are now.”
2 likes