Start by marking “Behind Every Great Man: Women in the Shadows of History's Alpha Males” as Want to Read:
Behind Every Great Man: Women in the Shadows of History's Alpha Males

Behind Every Great Man: Women in the Shadows of History's Alpha Males

A fresh and fascinating look at the untold half of history

Throughout history, men have gotten most of the good ink. Often overlooked are the extraordinary wives, mistresses, and companions who were every bit as instrumental in shaping their destinies. Discover Emma Wedgewood (Mrs. Charles Darwin), Alma Reveille (Mrs. Alfred Hitchcock), and 26 more women who stood behind
Paperback
Published February 3rd 2015 by Sourcebooks (first published February 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Behind Every Great Man, please sign up.
Marlene Wagman-Geller Hi! I felt my editor was quite liberal in allowing this chapter. Dylan was prescient, "The times they were a-changin.'"
The best,
Marlene

Start your review of Behind Every Great Man: Women in the Shadows of History's Alpha Males
Kelly Hubbard
I loved the idea of this book, however I found myself annoyed by the writing style of the author as well as the lack of content. There are a couple chapters that I have marked as I would like to do a bit more research on but mainly I found that the author was reciting the wikipedia page of the women in question. I wanted to know more about their story beyond where they were born, their parents and if they had children or not. I wanted to know how they influenced their husbands, agreed/disagreed ...more
nikkia neil
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I enjoyed this book so much! I learned a lot about history that i didn't know and its helped me understand more of the historical fiction I read also. Everyone needs to read this!
Nancy
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Behind Every Great Man: Forgotten Women Behind the World's Famous and Infamous by Marlene Wagman-Geller was touted as about the women who helped 'propel' their husbands 'to the top'.

I was all for reading about gals like, say, Dolley Madison and Abigail Adams, but who had been forgotten by the historians. (Likely because they were too busy writing about the men.) 28 women nearly forgotten! Including Alma Hitchcock and Emma Wedgewood Darwin!

Wagman-Geller is very entertaining. You laugh out loud,
C.E. Clayton
“Behind Every Great Man” has a great—pardon the pun—premise: highlighting the lives of extraordinary women whose lives and accomplishments have been forgotten in the shadow of their famous—or infamous—husbands. Forty women whose names have been forgotten, some while still alive, is documented in short 5-8 page chapters in a rather light and sometimes humorous manner. But for how perfect this books sounds, how desperately I wanted to praise these forgotten sister’s accomplishments, about 80% of ...more
Katherine P
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
The length of the chapters was really perfect. It was just long enough to give us a good understanding of where each woman came from, how she met her famous (or infamous) husband, and what her life was like as a married woman. There was enough to get a sense of the woman without getting overly bogged down in detail. I thought her choices of women was terrific as they were all the wives of people I was familiar with but almost all the names were new to me. I know nothing about Einstein's first ...more
Cris
Mar 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: feminism
This book is quite bad. Not only is it completely negative about the relationship between men and women, but the author's attempts to be clever actually make it impossible to figure out the facts. The women are portrayed as slavishly attached to their husbands' talent and position, with no will or principles of their own. The men chosen for this book are for the most part philandering, narcissistic and crass. Even those who have been acclaimed for their ethical leadership are portrayed with ...more
Rhonda Lomazow
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful read really a must for all the strong women who stand behind their man.you'll laugh &you'll learn history of famous&infamous couples .the good the bad&other ugly.this book would make for a great book club read.
Pat Lampe
I liked the idea of this book. The stories were quite brief but enough so that if you were interested, you could find other biographies. I didn't know the background of many of the men she chose, much less their wives. So in many ways this was an introduction. Likeable.
Sweetpea
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book from the GoodReads First Reads Program in exchange for an honest review. Both entertaining and educational, I really enjoyed this book.
Sara
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
So far so good. This is my first Wagman-Geller book, I like the length of the chapters and her wit. The only thing I hate is the work is not unbiased which almost caused me to put it down.
Vicki Hoppenrath
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was very interesting. It was illuminating about many of the women. You realize that many were invisible while their husbands were in the Spotlight.
Lindsay
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Another fascinating read by Marlene Wagman-Geller. This book does not disappoint. I really enjoyed learning about women behind the men who dominate history and who are barely even mentioned as a foot note in their stories. From the sad story of Einstein’s wife who after helping him with his discoveries and then cruelly pushed aside when it suited him to the kinky love life of Mrs Fleming. It’s a varied mix of stories that are both fascinating and at times painfully sad.
Reading Harbor
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
***Disclaimer: This was a Good Reads Win.***

I was excited to receive this book because I thought it would offer some insightful vignettes as to how some great women helped raise/ support / nurture men. As you know, most of history is written by men - the feminist movement did not start until late, maybe 1920-ish in America and is still non-existent in some parts of the world. Although I would not necessarily consider myself a staunch feminist, I do support history correctly reflecting the
Marie
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: women
"It was very tragic seeing her name carved in a tombstone - her surname, my name not mentioned. I had a sense of the uselessness of all regrets. Life is a very terrible thing." Oscar Wilde In 1963, her family added an addendum to her tombstone: wife of Oscar Wilde."

"Gandhi was burdened with lifelong guilt that he had been in the throes of lust with his teenage wife when his father breathed his last, without his son at his side."

"As Gertrude Stein lay dying she asked Alice B. Toklas What is the
Katy Cater
Jan 18, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2016
This book was not well-written. One thing that really bothered me is that the author attributes thoughts to people. For instance, "He assured her of its success by explaining all women loved furs; she bit her tongue from responding the only time she had ever seen one was on the shoulders of his lovers, a present from him." Maybe this thought was stated in an autobiography or letter, but the presentation seems strange to me. I also feel like the majority of the stories I read were less about the ...more
Caroline
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading about women that history has forgotten. I think the concept for this book is really great. Some of the women ("Mrs. Robin Gibb" Dwina, for example), don't seem to quite fit the mold of the book. Wagman-Geller states that the book is to show off women that history has forgotten or neglected, but who have made an impact in the life of their famous or infamous husband. A small handful of women seem to just be wives. The way their story is told doesn't provide solid evidence ...more
Cathi
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
While I enjoyed the premise of this book the writing was a bit disjointed. The writer seemed torn between styles. Certain sections would lean towards tell-all gossip, which was interesting, and more formal sections, which conveyed information and a sense of timeline. Occasionally I would read an entire section only to realize I'd forgotten the woman's name, because it was only mentioned once or twice. Writing like that, did not highlight the woman herself, and several sections often seemed more ...more
Natasha
Wished I could click 3.5 stars since I liked this book for what it was - a plucky and humorous view of women behind their famous men. I didn't know who was crazier - the male geniuses or the women who stayed married to them or pursued them? But I sure enjoyed learning more about both since Wagman-Geller is great at bringing in trivia that I hadn't heard about before. It made for frolicking right-before-bedtime read that prompted chuckling and head shaking disbelief at the craziness of some ...more
Julie
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short biographies of women and their famous partners make up this interesting book. While the chapters only give a mini- synopsis of the women and their partners, Geller entices you to want to learn more about these women. Some of the women written about include Eva Braun, Oona ONeill, Winnie Mandela and Constance Lloyd. Fascinating!
Jennifer Martin
Feb 04, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, did-not-finish
Really great premise but really poor execution. Selection of women was interesting. Bios read like they were written for blog; half the sentences sound like the author wanted to put "lol" after them. The choice of details included were odd at best and there is little to no attempt to put things in historical or chronological context.

Wasted a great idea with really poor writing.
Mark
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
40 informative, mini-biographies of women who played pivotal roles in the lives and accomplishments of infamous and famous men over the last 120 years. The stories have elements of happiness, tragedy, love and intrigue. Some of the stories left me shaking my head in disbelief, in the end I learned a great deal.
Julia Bragg
Apr 29, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book had such a potential to tell an amazing story - it really did. However, it didn't tell that story. It was basically like reading each woman's wikipedia page, instead of focusing on their individual accomplishments aside from where they grew up, who their parents are, and their children. This book failed this women just as society "forgot" as the title suggests.
Kristin Benninghoff
The untold stories

This was a completely fascinating look at the intimate lives of historic couples. A quick and easy read that I really enjoyed.
Sharmaine
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite pick of 2016! Witty and humorous i even laughed on the train while reading this
Julia
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Really, I would give this 2.5 stars. There are things I did like about this book, but not enough to say I liked the book. I put this book on my list of missed opportunity books. I LOVE the premise of this book and I was very excited when I found it. I love women's history and find it especially fascinating to read about women who stand in the shadows making history rather than the headliners; so this book seemed right up my ally.
So why was it a missed opportunity? First off, I really disliked
Jenny
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
The blog says, “Discover the Little Known Women Who Have Put the World's Alpha Males on the Map”! This is another inspiring book by Marlene Wagman-Geller. In this book she looks at forty women behind famous and infamous men. This includes, Constance Lloyd, Mrs Oscar Wilde, Carolyn Adams, Mrs Jerry Garcia, Alma Reville, Mrs Alfred Hitchcock, Elena Diakonova, Mrs Salvador Dali, Winifred Madikizela, Nelson Mandela’s wife and Ann Charteris, Mrs Ian Fleming.
In Marlene’s prologue she says the
Joanne Cartwright
I enjoyed many of the chapters in this book but felt on the whole that I wanted more information about fewer women (and their men).
I think I would have preferred twice the information on half the number of couples with a bit more focus on what the woman brought to the relationship (other than children and unwavering support). I realise though that this might be a big ask, particularly of those women no longer with us as the only side of their story is what was recorded at the time.
The book does
Priya
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
As with the other books by the author, this one enlightened me about the lives of people I had only heard about and knew very little about.
These stories are more interesting because they put the spotlight on the women who were the force and support of some of the most famous men in history.
Their contribution remains largely unacknowledged and this book is a step towards remedying that.
Whether Mrs Karl Marx who stood by her husband through it all or the wife of possibly the most hated man in
Beccy Thompson
I received a free copy of this book from TBC Reviewers- Thank you
I'm honestly not sure how to review the book, there were some brilliant parts that I absolutely loved but they were swiftly followed b parts of the book i found dire and poorly written- it's almost like 2 authors collaborated on this text and one was much more capable than the other!
I've given it a 3 because the parts that were good were genuinely good but it was let down by some poor writing skills and almost tragic 'stories'
Eva
Feb 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed learning about the wives of men we have all learned about in history. The women were truly important in their spouses lives and helped them achieve much of their success. I would have liked more information about the women then just The basics.
Behind Every Great Man 1 2 Apr 26, 2015 07:59AM

• Dorothy of Oz
  • Treasure Island
  • The Secret Garden
  • Emily Brontë: Wuthering Heights: Critical Studies
  • The Jungle Book (Classic Starts Series)
  • You Die Next (Starke & Bell, #2)
  • Sea of Lies (The Village Book, #2)
  • Baby Beluga
  • There's a Wocket in My Pocket!
  • William Shakespeare's: The Tempest
  • Great Day for Up
  • Four Great Tragedies: Hamlet / Othello / King Lear / Macbeth
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: A Play
Marlene Wagman-Geller grew up in Toronto and is a lifelong bibliophile. She is a veteran high school English teacher in National City, California, and currently lives in San Diego.