Start by marking “A Shred of Evidence” as Want to Read:
A Shred of Evidence

A Shred of Evidence

(Lloyd & Hill #7)

""She had been in school uniform the first and last time Judy had seen her alive, and she had wondered what it would be like to be her mother. Now, she thanked God she wasn't."" Detective Inspector Judy Hill had seen the girl that evening, talking and laughing with friends on the bus home. Now she lay dead in the glaring arc-light of a scene-of-crime investigation; beaten, ...more
Published April 24th 2014 by Policy Press (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about A Shred of Evidence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Shred of Evidence

Bettie☯
Kenneth Knowles: 11:03

Description: Constant gossip, endless secrets, nonstop rumors-these everyday elements of high-school life prove nearly impenetrable obstacles for Detective Chief Inspector Lloyd and Inspector Judy Hill of the Stansfield Police as they try solve the murder of a teenaged girl in this leisurely but compelling story. Natalie Ouspensky is a precocious 15-year-old with a host of gregarious friends, a fine school record and, apparently, a secret life. When her strangled corpse is
Eric Plume
Threw in the towel at roughly 75%, which speaks volumes on how boring the mystery was. Shred had an interesting premise, but it was buried under loose ends and gossip...and the adult cops were more gossipy than the teenagers they were investigating. In the end it was a waste of a perfectly good plot. Ah well.
Kate
"When the body of fifteen-year-old Natalie Ouspensky is found strangled near a public park in Stansfield, England, Detective Inspector Judy Hill and Detective Chief Inspector Lloyd have their work cut out for them. For Natalie wasn't quite the innocent her mother believes, and her classmates at Oakland School guard Natalie's secrets -- and their own -- like life itself. Then a shred of evidence points Hill and Lloyd in the right -- and decidedly deadly -- direction ...
~~back cover

Jealously, murd
Marni Port
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up at the Phinney Neighborhood Center's Book Exchange, not realizing I had already read it (and most likely had originally got it from the Exchange and swapped it back over a year or two ago.

So many police procedurals are hackneyed these days. But A Shred of Evidence opens with such a great, unique scene! I immediately knew I had read it, but thanks to chemo 2 years ago, I had no memory of what happened. So I got to enjoy it twice!

If you've read any of my reviews you know I do
Spuddie
Sep 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#7 Lloyd & Hill British police procedural mystery. It had been over 2 years since I read a book in this series, since I was very disappointed in #6, which went backward and forward in time, was bloated and boring and featured long portions that were written from the POV of the suspects/players in the mystery. It just didn't work for me at all, and was a huge shock after the previously stellar books. Every author's allowed one stinker I guess, and this one gets things back on track.

A fifteen-
Minty McBunny
This book started off with a bang, I was engaged from the second page and really excited about the story.

Unfortunately, it really started to lag about 2/3 of the way through. Even though it wasn't very long, it felt longer as we led up to the conclusion and then the red herrings flew so fast and thick it got a bit aggravating.

I liked the story better than I liked the detectives, Judy seemed a bit bland and Lloyd a but dull, Tim Finch was the most agreeable of the bunch. I didn't realize this wa
Jane
The middle book in the Lloyd and Hill series, and possibly the best. Also probably my favorite.
Kimberly Paulson
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book in the series that I could find electronically so I felt a small bit like there was a lot of prior history there, but that faded as the story progressed. This is a well wrought police procedural and will not disappoint fans of this mystery sub-genre. The last third is probably the most dynamic so don't give up if you find some of the early going simplistic. Will read more.
Jan Whitmarsh
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely Brilliant !

Brilliant turn of events ....Jill has written a truly compelling story around passions, young love and obsessions. Highly recommend this and other stories in this series of detective books.
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
I enjoy this series, and this was a good one. I’m still not sure if I ever read it before, or just something similar. Nothing ever struck me as “Oh, yes!”
Julie
Colin Cochrane, handsome coach, gets a few disturbing anonymous letters. His wife begins to wonder about his fidelity. Meanwhile, Patrick Murray, begins to teach at the same school. His wife knows he is not faithful. When 15-year-old Natalie is found strangled in the park, Chief DI Lloyd and DI Hill begin to suspect someone at the school did it. Their investigation uncovers many suspicious characters and actions.

Well-written. Has some disturbing imagery, but overall fairly good story.
Damaskcat
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a shock for DI Judy Hill when the young girl who has been murdered in a local adventure playground turns out to be one of the girls she had seen laughing and joking with her friends on the bus home from school that afternoon. This is a harrowing story of misunderstandings and predatory behaviour by people who really should know better.

A minor celebrity athlete, Colin Cochrane, teaches at the school that the victim herself attended and there is all sorts of gossip doing the rounds about how
Sheila
Aug 31, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book by this author that I have read and I only found it when I was messing around with the GR readers also enjoyed feature from another books main page.

This murder mystery, set in England, revolves around the investigation of the murder of a teenage school girl. Lots of people come under suspicion when it is discovered that she reportedly had written torrid love letters to one of the teachers whose wife actually is the one to stumble across the crime scene.

It was a good book
Karen C
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good mystery. I really liked the characters. This is the 7th book in the series but was the 1st one I was able to get on the Phila. Library Website. They have a few more later ones which I will definitely read. I'm thinking about purchasing maybe the first couple on Amazon for a penny (and $3.99 shipping costs). I read most of my books on the Kindle because they don't take up room. Hard to have enough storage for books. But if someone is looking for a series (British), I would definitely re ...more
Beth Evans
Aug 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have long been a fan of Jill McGown and her series featuring Hill and Lloyd. This was a good one, with lots of twists and turns. As always Judy Hill's meticulous note-taking provides an invaluable clue to solving the nasty murders.
Bevjirwin
my favorite kind of mystery. British police procedural
Cindy
Oct 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jill-mcgown
I am hooked! one more by this author and she will get her own shelf on my goodreads page!
Gary Van Cott
I only read this a few weeks ago but have already forgotten most of the details.
Lorrie Meneely
Jun 30, 2010
Sophia Tzagaraki
Nov 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Malcontenta (Brock & Kolla, #2)
  • To Fear a Painted Devil
  • Desperate Measures (Gabriel Ash and Hazel Best, #3)
  • A Likeness In Stone
  • Body Line (Bill Slider,#13)
  • Blues in the Night (Molly Blume, #1)
  • A Cast of Falcons (Birder Murder Mystery #3)
  • Beau Death (Peter Diamond, #17)
  • A Pinch of Snuff (Dalziel & Pascoe, #5)
  • The Alpine Fury (Emma Lord, #6)
Jill McGown (9 August 1947, Campbeltown, Scotland – 6 April 2007 in Kettering, Northamptonshire) was a British writer of mystery novels. She was best known for her mystery series featuring Inspector Lloyd and Judy Hill, one of which (A Shred of Evidence) was made into a television series. McGown wrote her first mystery novel after being laid off from the British Steel Corporation in 1980. She is s ...more

Lloyd & Hill (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • A Perfect Match (Lloyd & Hill, #1)
  • Murder at the Old Vicarage (Lloyd & Hill, #2)
  • Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3)
  • The Murders of Mrs. Austin and Mrs. Beale (Lloyd & Hill, #4)
  • The Other Woman (Lloyd & Hill, #5)
  • Murder... Now and Then (Lloyd & Hill, #6)
  • Verdict Unsafe (Lloyd & Hill, #8)
  • Plots and Errors (Lloyd & Hill, #10)
  • Scene of Crime (Lloyd & Hill, #11)