Start by marking “A Perfect Match (Lloyd & Hill, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Perfect Match (Lloyd & Hill, #1)

A Perfect Match

(Lloyd & Hill #1)

The news rocked the town. A woman's body found in a boathouse. And the woman's last known companion Missing Presumed Fled. To the people of Stansfield it's an open and shut case. But Detective Inspector Lloyd - teamed up once more with Sergeant Judy Hill - isn't so quick to jump to conclusions. To begin with he's certain of only two things. First, that nothing can stop the ...more
Published April 24th 2014 by Policy Press (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about A Perfect Match, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Perfect Match

Mary Ronan Drew
"I didn't mean to!"

That's all Chris, who stumbled into his friends' house drunk and disheveled, would say. "I didn't mean to!"

Didn't mean to what? That question becomes more than curiosity to Helen and Donald Mitchell when the police come calling to report a woman was murdered the night before after quarreling with Donald and leaving with Chris.

This first of Jill McGown's Lloyd and Hill mysteries was published in 1983. It has a clever twist, but I figured out who did the murder and how it was
Mary Gilligan-Nolan
This is a relatively short book (189 pages) and I read it in a few hours. However, it was a good one, nicely written, good characters for a series and even though I sussed out who the killer was eventually, I was still left with a surprise in the "how". The main characters here are D.I. Lloyd ( no christian name mentioned, because he likes it that way) and D.S. Judy Hill. These two have a history of sorts and worked together many years before. Judy Hill moved away for a time and is now working w ...more
Audrey
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drowning-girl
Jaksen

Wish I could add a book as 'couldn't finish due to unforeseen circumstances.' I do intend to finish this book, as it was pretty good, but it made me sick. Yep, and I looked it up. The book smelled of must and mildew, so I'm going to pursue getting another copy through a diff. library system. (Or talk to the librarians about finding me a newer, non-musty copy.)

Every time I picked the book up I went through a sneezing fit then felt like c r a p. (That's a word in my family which just meant awful o
Seana
Mar 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this first Lloyd and Hill mystery because a friend has recommended the series and have a curious double reaction to it. I thought the mystery aspect of the story was pretty well executed but there were odd things about how the story was told. For one thing, the romance brewing between the two detectives isn't sold very well, and I have the feeling that although this is supposed to be the first book in the series, there may be a couple of books that have led up to this one. Although a lot ...more
Kate
"After twenty-six years of marriage, Donald and Helen make no pretense of being passionately in love. Happily independent of each other, they get their pleasures elsewhere.

"But things get a bit too cozy when Donald's mistress, a rich widow, turns up murdered in a boating park, and the person known to have driven her is Helen's young lover -- who has since vanished. The connection is especially puzzling since, until the night of the murder, the two had never met.

"This brilliantly intricate case p
Elizabeth
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, england
I really enjoyed this book. It was a quick easy read that had me guessing right up to the last chapter. I also liked the characters. They were well rounded with all their little faults and foibles. Likeable, that's what they were.
The author also gave us an atmosphere of a simpler time, quiet walking paths, peaceful villages, where the police just had to keep chipping away at the puzzle in order to solve it. No DNA or computer simulations. Just simple, hard work on behalf of two police officers.
Jane
I read Jill McGown's Lloyd and Hill books in order as they came out - except for this, the first book in the series. I really like the series overall and recommend it to lovers of British police procedurals, but I was a bit disappointed in A Perfect Match. Not one of the best, and I'm not sure it would have convinced me to read book two if I'd read it first.

A Perfect Match got better as it moved toward the end. It's been so long since I read the rest of the books, now I am tempted to keep going
Margaret
I've marked this down primarily because at the end of most chapters there was a little coda giving a view of proceedings from various members of the local wildlife - which was cloying to begin with and extremely annoying by the end.

This kindle version was poorly edited - in one case two sentences are run together into a single paragraph when there was actually a change of scene if not chapter between them.

Incidentally it's a re-issue - I've just checked and the original was published around 198
Connie
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a first book, I thought it was great. It had several interesting twists and turns. This is one of those quick books you can read in an afternoon, because it moves along quickly and the characters are interesting.

Inspector Lloyd is a bit bossy at times and perhaps a bit of an old school copper, as Judy Hill seemed to get all the dirty work.

I am giving this 4 out of 5 stars and plan to read the next book in the series.
Maurita Kling
Two thirds of my way through this book, I was very confused. The print said 'she', but I thought it should have said 'he'- very perplexing! Being of a Certain Age, I was afraid it was just Me, but then again, maybe not...
Anyway, I had identified the Murderer correctly, although I didn't figure out How.... Cleverly written to confuse the Reader concealing the Old Triangular Plot. That's all, folks....
Susan Liston
2.5 I have already read all of the Lloyd & Hill books, but probably 25 years ago. I did like the series a lot at the time. This does feel like a first novel. The mystery is okay, but lacking in scope, however this book is very short so it had to be. (I don't want to complain about something being too brief after i just complained about Tana French droning on for 450 pages.) We don't learn much about the lead characters here, but they do develop over the course of the series.
Linda Macias
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was interested in reading this series in order after seeing a 2003 British tv movie and reading the book that the TV movie was based on, Shred of Evidence. I found A Perfect Match to be engrossing, a good old fashioned but modern day puzzler and very entertaining. I intend to continue to work through the series in order and expect more enjoyable reads! One thing, I could not find a copy of A Perfect Match in my library at all so I had to buy a used copy on Amazon.
Ana
Jun 17, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: no, thriller
This was really bad. Narration is such a mess, it not only skips constantly from one character POV to another, without much clear indication or any kind of smoothness in these narration changes, but it also jumps to random animal POVs??? That just felt idiotic. And the book was a dull mess even before moth, rabbit, cat, duck, owl etc all having their say. I can't.
Deb Jones
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Detective Sargeant Judy Hill and Inspector Lloyd -- first name undetermined and a mystery all of its own -- are an effective team on the job and an interesting pair in their private lives. A Perfect Match begins simply enough with the death of a woman few people seem to like, but the obvious suspect becomes less so as the story proceeds. A thoroughly enjoyable read to the last page.
Jan Whitmarsh
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful story!

This is writing at its best....for ever keeping you guessing. Jill manages to keep the actual nudes secondary to the story itself...the details, the plots sidelines, they are all wonderfully written. Delve in and enjoy the journey.
Dianna Thiel
“The September dawn crept over the sky like water on blotting paper, spreading a fine thin light to supplement the yellow glow of the street lighting.” That’s the opening line. Nope.

There are several other novels with this title.
Cecilia
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Very entertaining and easy to read. I love a good British mystery and this is one!
Carole Cameron
Second Time reading

Jill.s books are fantastic. Have started reading them all again. A couple as audio books .. These are even better as they are unabridged.
Cleopatra  Pullen
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, crime-series
When Chris turns up at Helen and Donald Mitchell’s house he is clearly in a state but neither of the Mitchell’s are able to understand much of what he is saying except the fatal line ‘I didn’t mean to’ Before they can find out what he didn’t mean to do the police knock on the front door and Chris makes a rapid exit through the back door. It turns out there has been a murder and Inspector Lloyd (a man whose first name is a mystery in a parallel to the great detective Morse) and Judy Hill start qu ...more
Elizabeth
Aug 07, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I read a Lloyd and Hill mystery previously and liked it. It is a good thing I did not read this one first or else I would have probably not read another. One of my biggest complaints with mysteries is when the author lets you get inside the head of the murder but you - the reader - don't know it. It seems to me when that happens the author is using a cheap trick to confuse the reader. Give me the facts. Tell me the story and if I guess who did it, well then dear author you did not do you job. Or ...more
Lynn
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Perfect Match is the 1st book in the Chief Inspector Lloyd and Sgt. Judy Hill police procedural series. A wealthy widow is found murdered in a boating park in Stansfield, England. The person who was last seen with her has disappeared. Chief Inspector Lloyd and Sgt. Judy Hill are called in to investigate the murder.

The book started out slowly for me but found as I progressed the pace and my interest picked up. By the end, I was interested in reading the next book Murder At the Old Vicarage (aka
Damaskcat
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Detective Inspector Lloyd and Detective Sergeant Judy Hill are sent to investigate when a woman’s body is found face down in a boating lake which she happens to own following the death of her wealthy husband. At first it seems obvious that a man who is missing is probably the murderer but as the pair dig deeper they realise that they are as far from solving the case as they were when they started.

I enjoyed this well written crime novel. Hill and Lloyd make a good team and the plot is reasonably
Kirsty Darbyshire

Small, but pretty well formed. I liked the look of a couple of the later books in the Lloyd & Hill series but received advice that the character development was such that it was a series worth making the effort to read in order so I've started at the first book.

There's a good plot, nothing too deep or complicated, just enough complexity for a two hundred page book in fact. You don't feel like things are being dragged out or too much is being squeezed into the last few pages. I like both the

Pam
Sep 23, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A PERFECT MATCH by Jill McGown
RATING: 4.5/B+
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Mystery, 1983, 186 pgs
CHARACTERS: Detective Inspector Lloyd & Detective Sergeant Judy Hill
TIME/PLACE: 1980's; UK
COMMENTS: 1st in the Lloyd & Hill poloice procedural series. Donald & Helen have been married for 26 yrs & Donald has been seeing other women. Helen strikes up a friendship w/ a younger man. The widow of Donald's recently deceased brother shows up dead in their small town. Helen's friend is the last on
Jazz
I very much enjoyed this, the first in the series of DI Lloyd and DS Judy Hill mysteries. It's my favorite kind of police procedural where the official procedure is secondary to an intriguing puzzle element which is brought to a satisfying conclusion. Characters were well-developed and the book read smoothly. The setting—Stansfield, Suffolk in eastern England—described as Constable country, reminded me of Midsomer Murders. I'm happy to have at least 6 subsequent titles in this series to read.
Deane
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is a short 'cozy' mystery set in England in the early 1980's so no computers or DNA to help Inspector Lloyd and Sgt Hill solve a murder that happened in the boathouse in a small village. It only took a few hours to read this book but it was a very good read....kept me guessing right until the end about who had actually done the murder. This is the first book in the Lloyd and Hill mysteries and I will certainly look for more.
JoyfulK
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
McGown's series presents police procedurals in a new light. The mysteries are hard-edged; the two ongoing characters extremely likeable. The overarching plot of their lives ties all the mysteries together, so ideally, read these in order. The settings, in and around a small town in an industrial area of England, also attract me.
Gary Van Cott
2.5 stars rounded up. I didn't think this was an especially good debut mystery. A bit confusing with very little happening throughout. I read a different edition than what is listed here. Published in the UK by Pan Books in 1991. The cover is different then any shown. Since it has a big sticker on it (ILL from Palmer, Alaska!) I am unable to scan it.
Sherrill
I didn't love it. The whole book was about solving the murder and there wasn't even a murder committed. It was all a hoax but I guess someone did die. It was a case of mistaken identity . Of course the husband did it and I wonder why it took them so long to figure that out. He stood to gain and all. He inherited her money and all. It was a bit of a let down.

• The Marx Sisters (Brock & Kolla, #1)
  • Death Wore White (DI Peter Shaw & DS George Valentine #1)
  • Cambridge Blue (DC Gary Goodhew Mystery #1)
  • Lonely Hearts (Charlie Resnick, #1)
  • The Religious Body (Inspector Sloan #1)
  • Black Dog (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #1)
  • Frost At Christmas (Inspector Frost, #1)
  • A Clubbable Woman (Dalziel & Pascoe, #1)
  • The Last Detective (Peter Diamond, #1)
  • McCone and Friends
  • Precious Blood (Gregor Demarkian, #2)
  • Horse's Arse
  • Borderlands (Inspector Devlin, #1)
  • The Death of an Irish Politician (Peter McGarr, #1)
  • The Night She Died (Inspector Thanet, #1)
  • The Devil's Hearth (Fever Devilin, #1)
  • Long Way Home (DI Zigic and DS Ferreira, #1)
Jill McGown (9 August 1947, Campbeltown, Scotland – 6 April 2007 in Kettering, Northamptonshire) was a British writer of mystery novels. She was best known for her mystery series featuring Inspector Lloyd and Judy Hill, one of which (A Shred of Evidence) was made into a television series. McGown wrote her first mystery novel after being laid off from the British Steel Corporation in 1980. She is s ...more

Lloyd & Hill (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Murder at the Old Vicarage (Lloyd & Hill, #2)
  • Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3)
  • The Murders of Mrs. Austin and Mrs. Beale (Lloyd & Hill, #4)
  • The Other Woman (Lloyd & Hill, #5)
  • Murder... Now and Then (Lloyd & Hill, #6)
  • A Shred of Evidence (Lloyd & Hill, #7)
  • Verdict Unsafe (Lloyd & Hill, #8)
  • Plots and Errors (Lloyd & Hill, #10)
  • Scene of Crime (Lloyd & Hill, #11)