Start by marking “Is God Really In Control?: Trusting God in a World of Hurt” as Want to Read:
Is God Really In Control?: Trusting God in a World of Hurt

Is God Really In Control?: Trusting God in a World of Hurt

From devastating natural disasters to deadly highway accidents, tragedies occur every day around the world and in our own lives. As we face death, grief, loss, we become angry and our faith is tested as we ask, "Is God really in control?"

Navigator author Jerry Bridges helps answer that question positively in this topical Bible study, offering comfort and hope by exploring
Published January 11th 2006 by NavPress

To ask other readers questions about Is God Really In Control?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Is God Really In Control?

Start your review of Is God Really In Control?: Trusting God in a World of Hurt
Sassa
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Can you and I really trust God?
Where is God when there is tragedy?
Is God always in control?

This books answers most affirmatively that you can trust God all the time, in all circumstances.

This book is especially written for those who are going through difficult times or in a world of hurt and wonder if God cares. Bridges reminds us God does, as He personally tells us and assures us in His Word.
This book is a walk in encouragement, through good times and bad, giving us verses of promise, exampl
PennsyLady (Bev)
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 *
Jeremy Sallin
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
The author does a good job of making the content approachable. He espouses the traditional view of God's sovereignty, reaffirms prayer, and provides some Biblical basis for his arguments. The tone of the writing is tender and inoffensive. This book is a good starting place for people exploring the concept of sovereignty in the light of suffering. It touches the tip of the iceberg about theodicy, but it does not discuss it directly.

My one problem with this book is that the author takes scripture
Bobby Bonser
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Masterful book by Bridges. He deals with complex problems and doesn't dodge the hard questions about evil, free will, suffering, and many more. He does a great job of simply explaining Biblical truth and pointing us to the character and nature of God (Wisdom, Goodness, and Sovereignty). Recommend to anyone but especially those in the midst of tragedy or suffering. ...more
Samuel Cowan
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The reason I picked this book is because I have enjoyed Jerry Bridges before. Another reason was the title. I bought this at our church weekend away and very soon afterwards we had the first earthquake in Nepal. Because of the ministry I am involved with and meeting people from different nations of the world and especially those from Nepal I hoped that it would be very easy to read and understand I wished to use it a my main book on my visits. I was not disappointed the author took the subject o ...more
Elaine
Jan 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
In the last chapter of the book there is a paragraph that struck me:
“...I seek to look beyond the person who is only the instrument to see God, who has purposed this adversity for me. ‘Who can speak and have it happen if the Lord has not decreed it’ (Laminations 3:37). If God has ordained to allow this trial in my life, it is because He has in His infinite wisdom deemed it to be good for me. Through the adversity, wrought by the other person, God is doing His work in my life. One part of humblin
Eric Molicki
Oct 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology

Don't let the little size of this book for you: it is powerful and deep. Jerry writes clearly of the sovereignty, wisdom, and love of God. His focus is upon how these truths change how we live in all of life and especially in suffering. This is a fantastic book to read especially if you're not suffering: that is because suffering is inevitable, and these truths will help prepare you to grow through it.
Shannon
Nov 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
I wasn't really asking the title question of this book. I was asking something similar. How can God be in control, put me through so much pain, and still love me? That answer is in there too. I highly recommend this book for people who are going through difficult times and beginning to question God. It's helpful. Just don't get stuck on separate chapters. This book must be taken as a whole because it intends to give a whole picture of how God deals with adversity in people's lives. ...more
Ron Reffett
Apr 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Excellent book on God's sovereignty. Again Jerry Bridges hits it out of the park! All things do indeed work together for our good and more importantly for God's glory. Definitely recommend this one.
Michael Locklear
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
An excellent book regarding the sovereignty of God and man's responsibility. ...more
Corinne
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Helps to make sense out of adversities and calamities...builds faith in God
Joy
May 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Overall this book has good content and a good message. There is a lot of repetitiveness that could have been removed to make the book more meaningful for me.
Aug 03, 2015

• Gentle and Lowly: The Heart of Christ for Sinners and Sufferers
  • You and Me Forever: Marriage in Light of Eternity
  • Make Poverty Personal: Taking the Poor as Seriously as the Bible Does
  • Ten Words to Live by: Delighting in and Doing What God Commands
  • The Women of the Bible Speak: The Wisdom of 16 Women and Their Lessons for Today
  • The Doctors Blackwell: How Two Pioneering Sisters Brought Medicine to Women and Women to Medicine
  • Discipling: How to Help Others Follow Jesus
  • What Is the Gospel? (Crucial Questions)
  • Finding Hope in Hard Things: A Positive Take on Suffering
  • Cousin Phyllis
  • Defiant Grace: The Surprising Message and Mission of Jesus
  • The Perilous Gard
  • 101 Great American Poems
  • Praying the Bible
  • Struck Down but Not Destroyed: Living Faithfully with Anxiety
  • Hide Away (Rachel Marin Thriller #1)
  • The Meaning of Marriage: Facing the Complexities of Commitment with the Wisdom of God
  • Listening Valley
JERRY BRIDGES was an author and conference speaker. His most popular book, The Pursuit of Holiness, has sold over one million copies. Jerry was on the staff of The Navigators for over fifty years, and currently served in the Collegiate Mission where he was involved primarily in staff development, but also served as a speaker resource to the campus ministries.

News & Interviews