Start by marking “Squeal” as Want to Read:
Squeal

Squeal

Jake Huntsman created the WISH program in order to rehabilitate the broken and the misguided—to reshape young lives before they are hardened and ruined. Deep in the Hoh Rainforest, his wards are forced to reevaluate the world around them, and the values they embody. But this time, the WISH trip to redemption is interrupted by a monstrous force—a rabid, feral hog, bred to ...more
Published June 18th 2014 by Poison Arrow Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Squeal, please sign up.
Arkham Reviews The main characters of the novel are seven teenagers - Joe, David, Narine, Luz, Bluto, Ralph and Melanie - who have been taken into the rainforest as…moreThe main characters of the novel are seven teenagers - Joe, David, Narine, Luz, Bluto, Ralph and Melanie - who have been taken into the rainforest as part of a young offenders retreat (the whole idea being that they find themselves and see the error of their ways). Not long into the trip, they find themselves in mortal danger when their designated adult is killed and they discover that there is a monstrous razorback boar loose in the forest, bred to be vicious and intent on hunting them all down.

The novel is a horror thriller. Although the evil pig plays a major role, it's also a bit of a character study. Each of the kids has a dark past which is gradually revealed as the story progresses and it slowly becomes apparent that some of them are even more dangerous than the hog.(less)

Start your review of Squeal
Kaisersoze
Jun 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, thriller
The following is based on a free copy of the novel provided by the author in exchange for an honest review and originally appeared at Horror After Dark.

Picking up a novel by a first time published author is always a bit of a raffle. Sometimes you wind up disappointed by what you've won; other times you walk away pleasantly surprised with your bounty. And then there are those times when it's a bit of a mixed bag.

Squeal starts very promisingly. St. John wastes no time in introducing the reader to
Joe
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Have to be honest, I didn't have high hopes for this book in the beginning. I was wrong. Enoch St. John certainly gave me a little twist I wasn't expecting there at the end. The story begins with a group of juvenile delinquents heading into the woods on a retreat to try and change their lives when things start to go horribly wrong right from the beginning. A mutated wild hog is on the lose, but is that the only monster in the woods? St. John does a good job building the characters. The only ...more
Aurora Dimitre
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
~4.5 Stars~

Okay, so this book .

I initially bought it because I heard 'unattended young people in the wild + pig', thought Lord of the Flies, and decided that if it was anything like Lord of the Flies, it would be great. And while it is a lot different than Lord of the Flies, there is still that feel to it. (view spoiler)

I'm going to start with the things I didn't like, because there were only a few - just
Katie Harder-schauer
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
This story drew me in, keeping me fascinated until the end. The character development was decent, although many of the characters could have easily used a little more depth. The suspense was okay, although not spectacular (but I also read a lot of Stephen King so I have high expectations.) And the ending wrapped up a little quickly, but it also completely surprised me, which doesn't often happen in horror stories, so that was good. Overall it was a pretty good book, with just a few little ...more
Anna Martinez
Jun 03, 2014 marked it as to-read
I haven't read the book yet, but it reminded me a lot of Lord of the Flies by William Golding.
Jason Davis
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A small youth reform camping trip becomes the unfortunate prey for a giant killer pig. Enoch St. John's Squeal transforms this premise from a simple creature feature to a semi-nuanced character study. Through the use of internal dialogs the author carves the troubled youths and camp organizers from common tropes to actualized individuals struggling to survive in their home life and the forest. While the book doesn't quite push itself far enough, it is a surprisingly smooth and enjoyable read ...more
Keith
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: bad horror movie fans with weak stomachs
Is Squeal about a man using his unique talents to help young people get their lives on the right path?
Is Squeal about troubled teens learning important life lessons?
Is Squeal about justice?
Is Squeal about taking real life characters out of their natural habitat for a voyeuristic psychological experiment?
Is Squeal about realistic dialog between people from different cultures, socioeconomic statuses, and geographic locations from across a great melting-pot country?
Is Squeal about dramatic
Arkham Reviews
Unfortunately, this novel just didn't speak to me.

While I had hopes from the opening chapter that this was just going to be a fun horror story, the fast pace quickly began to slow to a crawl. It felt to me like the author was just trying to be a little too clever. The story tried to raise themes - nature versus nurture, Church versus State, natural selection, the ethics of designer breeding - but quickly swept them aside again to make room for new ones.

In the second third of the story, the
Enoch St John
Slightly larger edition without border on cover.
Tamia
Oct 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was ok. I wasn't connected to the characters. It didn't make ANY sense, the ending. I went back to the beginning to see if I missed anything, and I didn't. The idea was very interesting but it could have been executed better.
Hannah
Jun 10, 2014 rated it liked it
I was pretty disappointed in this. Lots of stereotyping, not a lot of suspense or horror.
Beth Anton
Sep 17, 2019
Patti
May 19, 2014
Jamie
rated it did not like it
Jul 01, 2014