Start by marking “Move Your DNA Restore Your Health Through Natural Movement” as Want to Read:
Move Your DNA Restore Your Health Through Natural Movement

Move Your DNA Restore Your Health Through Natural Movement

Move Your DNA explains the science behind our need for natural movement - right down to the cellular level. It examines the differences between the movements in a typical hunter - gatherer's life and the movements in our own. It shows the many problems with using exercise like movement vitamins instead of addressing the deeper issue of a poor movement diet. Bet of all, Mov ...more
Published October 15th 2014 by Propriometrics Press (first published September 25th 2014)

Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
I am a huge fan of Katy Bowman. Her holistic yet thoroughly scientific approach to health and wellness is extremely fascinating and incredibly effective. I have experienced first hand how releasing tensions and correcting alignments can fix seemingly unrelated health issues--and thus believe her when she says that the majority of chronic ailments our society suffers, have mechanical components that are largely unaddressed.

The first part of the book is fairly technical discussing adaptions of th
GlobeRunner
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm a great fan of Katy Bowman's and read everything she's written that I can get my hands on. I wanted and expected to give this book 5 stars, but I had two problems with it: I couldn't understand from her written instructions how to perform many of the exercises in the book (perhaps more pictures or links to videos would have helped me), and that at the end of the book, I was more confused than when I started. I had a specific question and not only wasn't it answered, but I felt I was given co ...more
lauren
Feb 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
No thanks, I'll sleep on my comfy bed rather than curled up on some tree roots in my backyard. I'm pretty into wearing shoes too.
Shannie
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Clear out the nightstand, cos this is my new bible.

I consider(ed) myself to be a very healthy person. I exercise tons, and eat good, whole foods. Unfortunately I am exercising wrong, and so are you. Exercising, walking, standing, sitting, sleeping...
Katy Bowman proposes that we need to think of movement the same way we think of food. Our "movement diet" needs to be natural and varied, and it isn't optional.

The first half of the book explains basic biomechanics and cell function, relating to a "
Max Micheelsen
Jan 19, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a great book to read, if you want get a basic understanding of what ”natural movement” means. It turns out, sitting is not really the new smoking, and standing is not the cure for everything. Varied and diverse movement is the key, so try to sit and stand in as many ways as possible.

The book has giving me a great desire to get my own garden, as doing garden work must be one of the truest expressions of natural movement.
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
this book calls for a shift in the paradigm that associates all body movement with exercise. I enjoyed it immensely and have already been putting into practice the various, subtle, easy and common sense movements into my day. I particularly related to the idea that our modern day, sedentary bodies are similar to orcas in captivity. we are designed and capable of much more than sitting in front of tvs, phones, and computers.
Katie
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Katy's thoughts on natural movement really resonated with me and isn't something that I've seen a lot before. The book had great detail and easy exercises, but it was hard to remember everything listening to it on my commute. I'll be listening again and trying the techniques.
Abby
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Comprehensive, motivational overview of natural movement as a lifestyle (along with a slew of carefully explained corrective exercises). I am very inspired and plan to keep devouring everything Katy Bowman has written.
Carol Apple
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is about the concept of natural movement and practical ways to use this science to improve our health. Bowman explains that the biomechanics of the way we habitually move puts certain "loads" on our bodies on a cellular level, and these loads have far-reaching consequences to our health. This concept is brand new to me - or at least until I read this book I did not pay a lot of attention to natural movement, natural footwear, or anything paleo. The natural movement "movement" is relate ...more
Jackie Petroulias
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health, book-club
"Despite our great fortune to live in a time when we aren't at great risk for communicable diseases, we are, in fact, dying - slowly, in bits - from our natural tendency to do as little as possible. Our unquenchable desire to be comfortable has debilitated us. Ironic, as there is nothing comfortable about being debilitated. The paradox - that advancements to make our lives less physically taxing have taxed us physically - is profound and has led to an emergent scientific hypothesis. Perhaps the ...more
Claire
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference-how-to
I read a brief excerpt from this book which had me worried it was going to be a very technical read but was pleasantly surprised by its conversational tone. Very readable. The more detailed bits are either in sidebars or are woven nicely into the text.

This book had some missing pieces for me regarding positioning and outlook when it comes to mobility.

Exercise is only a very small part of movement; it's what you're doing all the time you need to keep in mind.

That said, the book does contain exer
Mandi Ehman
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was everything I was hoping it would be - an instruction manual for incorporating movement into every day to impact not just your strength but your health. This whole body approach to wellness is encouraging to me as someone who doesn't have - or want to make time for - exercise but who does want to move more - and in better ways - on a regular basis. While they're are "exercises" included, many of these can be done as part of your regular routine. I found some of the descriptions of e ...more
Alexis
Jan 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Some really interesting ideas about nutritious movement and about how we hurt our bodies by repeating the same movements over and over. Our current day life skews our gait and the way we move and we are not moving naturally.

I think I'd have to read this a couple of times to get everything out of it. I've never read anything quite like it.

She has DVDs and I think I'll be checking them out of the library. Some really fascinating and new ideas about how to live well in your body and how to move.
David Ranney
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
The loads we experience in today’s world differ hugely from the loads people experienced a hundred, a thousand, and ten thousand years ago. Yet we blithely accept that our health issues—which so many of us share—are genetic. Genetic, a term we’ve internally defined as beyond our control. Whether out of convenience or ignorance, we have failed to address the habitat in which our genes dwell, and the impact of the way we move on the state of our health.
Illuminating. Essential!
Zach Gray
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Zach by: Machiko
Shelves: betterment, science
Wow. Move Your DNA provided a completely new way of thinking more than anything else I've outside of The Elegant Universe. Bowman teaches that a variety of everyday movements done properly is better than a traditional exercise regimen. This was a good first exposure to the Movement movement, but the instructions for techniques I think will be easier to grasp if I can see them, which is why I plan on ordering a couple of Bowman's videos.
Jamie
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A call to action that can't be ignored

Katy Bowman has a gift for doing two things: breaking down the intricate world of human biomechanics into pieces that the last person can understand (and move forward with if desired), and making the process a hell of a lot of fun. She totally changes the paradigm of proper movement away from "exercise" and thrusts it into a world of necessity, health, longevity, and more.

I recommend this book to everyone!
Laureen Hudson
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a paradigm-shifter of a book. I read it, was highly resistant to the message, backed off, listened to a few of the KatySays podcasts, came back, read it again, and felt like a wall fell.

Read it. Now. Then read her other books. Then circle back again. Rumor has it her upcoming book shifts the natural movement paradigm even further, and I can't wait.
Jer
Mar 27, 2015 marked it as to-read
Just listened to the author speak with Joe Rogan for 3 hours on his podcast. Loved listening to this woman. She knows her stuff and how to share.

Joe Rogan Experience : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ub5O...
Jane
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is going to be my nearly-constant companion for some time to come.
tonia peckover
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Changed my way of thinking about exercise and movement.
Elisabeth
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic information and perspective about how out bodies respond and adapt to the ways we move. Katy's enthusiasm for the topic is contagious. I heart Katy Bowman. :)
Carrie Ridgeway
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book on the importance of movement and how to regain more natural movement in your own body.
Jill Cucheron
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is for all humans! Especially zoo humans! Excellent!
Kristin
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For those familiar with evolutionary mismatch theory (in a nutshell: our modern environment (ie. processed food, artificial light, etc.) is mismatched with our more slowly evolving biology), Katy Bowman's application of mismatch to the area of movement is a totally obvious extension of this way of thinking. Except I NEVER would have thought of it without her help. This book epitomizes my "aha!" moment for the year of 2018 (so far, who knows what might happen...).

Katy Bowman advises us to move m
Igor Packo
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Absolute game changer in the view of human movement versus societal norms. Katy provides analysis, description, opinions and exercises - what and how to introduce beneficial behavior into daily life. Maybe overly descriptive at some parts, but that's just a personal feeling

Memorable quotes:
"Illness is typically looked at as physiology gone wrong. I assert here that in most cases, our physiology is responding exactly as it should to the types of movement we have been inputting. Instead of thinkin
Carolyn
I'm a big fan of Katy's podcast so I knew this book would be good. She delivers the meaty information here with humor and skill; the lady knows her stuff. The only thing that keeps it from 5-stars is that the gold standard of health and wellness seems to rest on the hairy shoulders of the Paleolithic man. Like the paleo and primal diet movements, Katy holds the daily physical activities of this early human as the model we should be striving for.

I get the concept: our lives (and our diets and mov
Mike Maurer
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
This is an excellent book about how to improve your health. It takes the idea of movement and turns it on its proverbial head. The author isn't seeking just any movement, though in todays world, anything is better than sitting. But movement that will affect you at the cellular level.

It is a very interesting concept. She takes the communication channel that we usually think is outward (from the cell to how the whole body feels) and reverses it. By performing specific movement exercises, the movem
John Slater
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Katy Bowman is wise and witty. She has an ability to explain complex ideas in an easy-to-digest manner for everyone. This book does not teach movement professionals or movement-professionals-to-be (myself) new things within the realm of *status quo* body knowledge. What it does do is hop outside of the mainstream thought patterns that have permeated domains such as physical therapy and encourage us to broaden our perspective.

This book is a call to wellness. It's a call to lifestyle change, and
Marta Herrera
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loooooove Katy Bownman. I wish I could have everyone read this but I understand most people don't nerd out on biomechanics and anatomy... or they don't like this hippie tree-hugging, barefoot walking stuff. Some will, once they already have chronic back, knee, and foot pain and they have the joint mobility of a stick. It's unfortunate, but hopefully as moving more (as opposed to exercising more) becomes more culturally accepted, people won't have to get to that point.
This book goes into some ni
April Dickinson
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another book that has completed changed the way I look at a topic. Exercise schmexercise. We can and should be moving our bodies through our environment ALL day, not just for 20mins to an hour. Obviously, exercise is important, but in this book, Bowman explains to us that we're missing opportunities throughout the day to nourish our bodies at the cellular level. We can even exercise while we're sleeping. Dudes. Sign me up. I'm alternating between sitting on the couch and the floor, reading with ...more
  • The Roll Model: A Step-by-Step Guide to Erase Pain, Improve Mobility, and Live Better in Your Body
  • The New Rules of Posture: How to Sit, Stand, and Move in the Modern World
  • A Guide to Better Movement: The Science and Practice of Moving with More Skill and Less Pain
  • Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar, and Survival
  • The Fourfold Path to Healing: Working with the Laws of Nutrition, Therapeutics, Movement, and Meditation in the Art of Medicine
  • Psoas Book
  • Relearning to See: Improve Your Eyesight -- Naturally!
  • Athletic Body in Balance
  • Deskbound: Standing Up to a Sitting World
  • Advances in Functional Training: Training Techniques for Coaches, Personal Trainers and Athletes
  • The Cholesterol Myths: Exposing the Fallacy That Saturated Fat and Cholesterol Cause Heart Disease
  • Food: Your Miracle Medicine
  • The Herbalist's Way: The Art and Practice of Healing with Plant Medicines
  • Anatomy Trains: Myofascial Meridians for Manual and Movement Therapists
  • The MELT Method: A Breakthrough Self-Treatment System to Eliminate Chronic Pain, Erase the Signs of Aging, and Feel Fantastic in Just 10 Minutes a Day!
  • Mothering the New Mother: Women's Feelings  Needs After Childbirth: A Support and Resource Guide
  • Tread Lightly
  • The Allergy Solution: Unlock the Surprising, Hidden Truth about Why You Are Sick and How to Get Well
Katy Bowman has earned an international reputation for educating the general population on alignment and load-science, and as a result has helped thousands to reduce pain, increase bone density, improve metabolic health, and solve their pelvic floor mysteries. She is known for her radical, counter-culture health directives that happen to be based in the hard science that she has made her life’s wo ...more
“Our current model sets both food and movement as a negative. Eating food (a biological imperative) makes us feel guilty, and we turn movement (also a biological imperative) into punishment. Atonement” 3 likes
“The paradox of the modern world is this: Not only do we do less, physically, than ever before, but we also almost never do nothing. Our bodies, deprived of large movements, are inundated with subtle-yet-continuous physical stimulation from noise, light, data, etc. This constant stream of input is a two-fold stressor, as not only is the frequency of certain environmentally induced loads extremely high, the types of input we are experiencing are unnatural.” 3 likes