Start by marking “Pacific” as Want to Read:
Pacific

Pacific

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  262 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
A story of love, sacrifice and revenge swept along on the winds of war from the bestselling author of Territory.

From the dark days of Dunkirk to the vicious fighting that was Guadalcanal, from the sedate beauty of the English Channel ports to a tropical paradise, Pacific is Judy Nunn at her enthralling best.
Published (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Pacific, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pacific

Paula
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
Pete Loveday
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a really great read!
Judy Nunn has skillfully woven two fascinating stories together that are related and yet not.
The plotting is brilliant and the characters leap off the page with their wonderful dialogue and interesting traits. The storey of Samantha Lindsaey is intriguing and captured me from the outset. Then Jane Thackery's story is equally fascinating and very moving. Set mainly on the beautiful Pacific island of Vanuartu, in the village of Vila, the descriptive passages of this s
Kate Loveday
May 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is really two stories in one, skillfully woven together by Judy Nunn. It begins with the story of Samantha, an Australian actress who succeeds on the stage in London, and is then cast in the starring role of 'Torpedo Junction', a Hollywood film set in Vanuatu in the war years. Bit by bit,we then learn the story of Jane Thackeray,a missionary's wife, albeit a very beautiful one, who is loved, and called 'Mama Tack',by the natives. It is on her life that the film is based and, for me, th ...more
Carola Magill
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is a wonderful read. Full of history and very well written.
Jill
Mar 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book kept me turning the pages. What wonderful twists and turns as the 2 plots became one. Loved it!
Judy Nunn is a master storyteller
Maryanne
Apr 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Very enjoyable read wrapped around another interesting history lesson. Love your work Judy.
Jenny Wallace
Jan 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves a good fictional story
One of her best, I couldnt this book down what a great story, I took a long time to finish the last couple of paragraphs as I didnt want it to end.
Caroline
Mar 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not as good as some of her others, but still very well written and engaging.
Monica Mac
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh my giddy Aunt, what a book! As usual, Judy Nunn does an incredible job of weaving a gorgeous tale full of drama, love (in all its forms), revenge and family ties.

Sam Lindsay is an up-and-coming Australian actress. She starts off like a lot of young actors in Australia, working on a soapie. She wants to work in London, in theatre, and she achieves her ambition. I found myself really liking Sam, her no-nonsense and yet warm personality really endeared me to her.

When Sam goes to Vanuatu to sho
Jenni
Jun 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
When this book arrived I was very excited to see that it was written by Judy Nunn. I grew up watching both Neighbours and Home and Away and Judy Nunn’s portrayal of Ailsa Stewart in the latter makes her feel like part of the furniture of my tv youth. I didn’t know before receiving this book that she was also an author so I couldn’t wait to get reading.

I did find it a little hard to get into Pacific. It opens with a prologue that takes place during the Dunkirk evacuation and then with the start o
Yang Shu-yuan
Oct 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Sie greift nach den Sternen - die junge Samantha bekommt ihre erste Hauptrolle in einem Hollywoodfilm. Schauplatz: die zauberische Insel Vanuatu im Südpazifik.
Die Frau, die Samantha darstellen soll - sie war eine Legende: Jane, die englische Missionarsfrau, die sich für das Wohl der Insulaner von Vanuatu einsetzte. Als der Sturm des 2. Weltkrieges das Inselparadies erreichte, begegnete Jane dem amerikanischen Piloten Charles. Eine verbotene Liebe flammte zwischen ihnen auf, die Jane um jeden Pr
Tania
Dec 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookcrossing
bought in hanmer springs.

halfway through - gripping.

quotes from my notebook#962148

"Hell, the guys have been saying who needs the Japs when we've got malaria." p408
[tropics in wwII:]

From its large, open reception area, paths meandered amongst green lawns, and coconut palms to solid stone bungalows with thatched roofs, each overlooking the lagoon. p232
[love the word "meander":]

"You can serve a great purpose here, Jane. Not only with your nursing skills, but you have a way with these people. They t
Nabila Amr
Ein wunderbarer Roman rum um auf einer romantischen Insel in dem Pazifik mit einer wunderbaren und schönen Geschichte. Samantha kauft ein Haus mit einer lebendigen Vergangenheit und durch ihre Filmrolle kommt sie der Vergangenheit zufällig auf die Spur und diese Spur führt sie in ihre Gegenwart und ihrer Zukunft. Einfach nur schön zu lesen. 3 Sterne allerdings, weil mir die Spannung gefehlt hat. Aber trotzdem ist das Buch lesenswert. Es hat einen schönen und einfach Schreibstil wodurch sich die ...more
Robyn Gibson
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sam, in the present, is an Australian actress starring in a stage play in England then moves on to become an actress in a film. Judy Nunn spends a lot of time explaining how movies are made. The story jumps between Sam and Jane who lived in another era in England travels to New Hebrides. Sam goes to Vanuatu to make a movie and the story continues to jump backwards and forwards from Sam to Jane. It's confusing jumping between the two but it's still a great story.
Katie
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Overall, I enjoyed this book. There were sections that were a little flat in storyline but majority of it was great. Not my usual genre so it was a nice change. Looking forward to trying some of Judy's other books.
Maria Magdalena
Not as good as most of her other work, but still an interesting and engaging read. Nice having an (ex) actress write about the practicalities of the movie/theater business. Makes me now want to visit Vanuatu and check out the island.
Renee
Jan 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Not Judy Nunns best book but i still enjoyed it. I didn't like how Jane jumped in bed with wolf before the offical word that her husband died. And a big continuation error when Wolf took her up in the plane that had been crashed and sunk earlier in the story?????
Deb
Oct 05, 2010 rated it did not like it
prologue was great... hinted at a good read. But it was all downhill from there. There were small moments when the book promised to pick up but I eventually gave up p166. This one goes back to the library.
Annie Smith
Jul 23, 2016 rated it liked it
I found this book, good to read, different, but still lovely.
Annette McIntyre
A once-in-a-lifetime role tempts an Australian actress to Vanuatu, where she learns more about her character than she realized she woul
Belinda Mcpherson-marriage celebrant
My first Judy Nunn book and I loved it. The storytelling weaving the different generations was brilliantly delivered. A great read and im so sad it's finished.
Bonny
Feb 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, thrilling and entertaining
Susan Livesley
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good read
Claire
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One young woman who moves to Vanuatu during the war + one young woman who plays her in a movie = a very enjoyable read despite the length of the book and the tweeness of the "coincidences"
Lisa
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not my normal style of book, but really enjoyed it. Well written with in depth characters and settings.
Sarah Hunter
Oct 09, 2012
  • Stalin Ate My Homework
  • All Eyes on Her
  • The Islands
  • Autobiography of Malcolm X as told to Alex Haley, The  (MAXNotes Literature Guides)
  • Target Patton: The Plot to Assassinate General George S. Patton
  • Hitler's Peace
  • Undercurrents
  • Taking a Chance
  • Burning Lies (Border Watch #3)
  • Wind in the Ashes (Ashes, #6)
  • SEAL Team Six Outcasts (SEAL Team Six Outcasts, #1)
  • North Star
  • Fly Boy
  • The Cattleman's Daughter
  • Devil's Garden
  • The French Promise (Luc & Lisette #2)
Judy Nunn (born 13 April 1945) is an Australian actress and author.

Judy Nunn's career has been long, illustrious and multifaceted. After combining her internationally successful acting career with scriptwriting for television and radio, Judy decided in the 80s to turn her hand to prose. The result was two adventure novels for children, EYE IN THE STORM and EYE IN THE CITY, which remain extremely p
More about Judy Nunn...