Start by marking “Count Me In: How I Stepped Off the Sidelines, Created Connection, and Built a Fuller, Richer, More Lived-in Life” as Want to Read:

Combining the intelligence of Quiet with the personal stories and realistic advice of The Happiness Project, Count Me In is for everyone who feels their lives could use a little more real-life connection, at home, in their neighbourhoods, and in the wider world.
     A thoughtful, lively, and practical roadmap for anyone who wants to feel more connected, and who wants thei
Published January 6th 2015 by McClelland & Stewart

To ask other readers questions about Count Me In, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Count Me In

Andrea McDowell
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read the author's first book, Lonely: A Memoir, years ago. I found it gripping, and I wanted to see how it all turned out for her.

And in this, the sequel-of-sorts, she writes of how she managed to tame the beast and find herself a sense of belonging and connection.

In that sense, this book did exactly what I wanted it to: reassured me that White's life got back on track. (Full disclosure: she's an introverted environmentalist from Toronto who loves dogs. Yes, I identified with her.)

However, wh
Molly
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Count Me In is a wise book for all who suffer a 21st-century fractured existence. Emily White, the child of both divorce and a shockingly bulldozed home, knows who we are. White has the passion and heart to show the numb, the disconnected, and the hungry yearning to leap from loneliness new paths to belonging. As we follow her trials and errors from Pig Save to Belief-O-Matic, even diehard isolates will give up and join this ex-lawyer in her treasure hunt for community—and learn a little somethi ...more
Emma
Jan 30, 2015 rated it liked it
When I saw that Emily White had published a second book I was pysched, and even moreso when I saw the topic. I immediately put it on hold at the library (love that public resource!!) and read it in just a couple days.

I enjoyed the book, though not nearly as much as Lonely. I think my main qualm is that in my view, it lacked a certain amount of actual, concrete advice. To be fair, it's a memoir, and not an actual self-help/advice book, but that is kind of what I was hoping it would be.

Setting as
Megan
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Insights: Looking for belonging is not the same as looking for friendship.
Think about : When you felt like you belonged? What is important to you?
Julie
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting and timely read about reaching out to find connection. I appreciate the author's ability to try different things and analyze what worked for her and what didn't. Although all of our journeys will be different, reading about hers helped give me some starting points for my own!
Bryonna
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I loved the first part of the book, but the second half lost my interest.
Jaclyn
Dec 26, 2014 rated it liked it
How do you connect in an increasingly disconnected world? This book details Emily White's various attempts to find a sense of connection and belonging.

White has an easy narrative style -- her list of attempts are a series of episodes, many ending with her feeling like something was still missing.

Some episodes were interesting -- I enjoyed the chapters about the pig activists and the Pilates class. Unfortunately, while I sympathize with the inability to find the right "fit" with a group, the narr
Wanda
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads, giveaway
I received a copy of Emily's White's "Count Me In: How I Stepped Off the Sidelines, Created Connection, and Built a Fuller, Richer, More Lived-In Life", compliments of Goodreads Firstreads Giveaway and appreciated the opportunity.

I will start by stating that I did not like the book, but stuck with it to the end in hopes that I might gain something. I was left disappointed. Whereby the premise of the book surrounds a topic that I am interested in, it did not make the grade for me.

It is clear tha
Shilpa
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
At eighteen years of age, this quote resonated with Emily White, although she was not certain why. Now, at forty-four, she understands why.

“For me, happiness is and always has been a by-product of connection. I love feeling like there’s a current running between me and the people around me, like I’m on the same wavelength as the places I’m in.”

In her book, Count Me In, Emily White explores the concept of belonging. What’s interesting is that she starts off talking about her place in Toronto, the
Michael
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
a novel approach to self-help. instead of checklists and vague platitudes, you get a very personal account of one woman's journey to discover what it means to truly belong.

it's a bit of a meandering mess at times, but i do like the writing style. i like the way the author weaves self-help advice into a narrative about her own struggles with trying to find her place in the world. it's like getting your hands on someone's private journal; it might be a bit scattered, but there's a real sense that
Susan
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. I had no idea at all that anyone other than me cared about the exact subject matter of this book. Others have commented that the author meanders her way through the process of connecting to a wider community but I found this helpful to realize that this was something that could be tinkered with along the way. I intend to pull a group of people together to talk about this book within the context of our own community. I really enjoyed the addition of scholarly thought on the top ...more
Angie
Sep 07, 2014 rated it liked it
This self-help/memoir is the author's experiences trying to fit in after she breaks up with her husband and moves back to her home town of Toronto. I hoped the book would be more helpful or inspirational to myself but I did not really connect with the author's own experiences. There were references to some interesting research done on how people achieve a sense of belonging. She also talked about how people are searching for connection today because so much of their lives are spent connecting in ...more
Janet Berkman
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book really struck a chord with me. Author Emily White combines the story of her personal quest for more connection with academic research in the area of belonging. This results in a very readable, and actionable, set of suggestions for people seeking more connection with the world. She is honest and funny and sometimes wistful as she describes her attempts to connect, some successful and some not-so-much. From a local animal rights group, through international organizations, to yoga and Pi ...more
Kelly
Oct 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
This is a helpful resource for anyone looking to identify how to go about joining and creating connections when you may not know how to do so, or may be scared to do so. It helped me realize a number of things about myself and my search for meaningful relationships and for a more fulfilled life. I specifically enjoyed the part relating to choosing things that are important to YOU, and not seeking belonging in places other people suggest or want you to join. You will never find what you are looki ...more
Eva
'Count Me In" by Emily White offers both realistic advice and the author’s personal experience in finding the sense of belonging or connection in life.

I found it helpful to read the conclusion chapter first and it really tied everything together nicely. She points out “I think we all need at least one group that we can easily access in times of need.” As well, I found this comment relevant: “There’s no right or wrong way to ground a connection project.”

Follow Emily White’s journey and take what
Noelle Walsh
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This book was good and interesting. Sometimes it felt a little long but it was still a good book. I found it to be a nice take on how to connect in a disconnected world. i would definitely recommend it to anyone interested.

*won on GoodReads First Reads*
Jessica Tudos
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really cool take on what it means to be a citizen and roving community member in various places. Liked the personal stories a lot - felt connected to the author. Could have used some editing as I felt some parts were repetitive but overall, an interesting read.
Renee
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think that White is raising a lot of questions that we should be thinking about. Belonging in this digital society is not easy and she has an interesting perspective. Very relevant book.
Bucket
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Not as good as her first book "Lonely." Some good thoughts and experiments, but she fell short of any satisfying conclusions.
HeatherLynn
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: change-the-world
Inspired me to take action, and rethink my own connections outside my family. Widening my circle.
Ali
Jan 03, 2015 rated it liked it
An interesting read, with a very personal approach and perspective. I did find it a bit lengthy in the middle chapters.
Sinem
Mar 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

• Selected Readings from the Portable Dorothy Parker
  • The New I Do: Reshaping Marriage for Skeptics, Realists and Rebels
  • The Power of Positive Deviance: How Unlikely Innovators Solve the World's Toughest Problems
  • In-Between Days: A Memoir About Living with Cancer
  • The Sweetness of a Simple Life: Tips for Healthier, Happier and Kinder Living Gleaned from the Wisdom and Science of Nature
  • They Went That-A-Way:  How the Famous, the Infamous, and the Great Died
  • Belle Moral: A Natural History
  • Launch: How to Quickly Propel Your Business Beyond the Competition
  • Premier de cordée
  • Wisdom: 50 Unique and Original Portraits
  • Weird Al Yankovic: The Kindle Singles Interview (Kindle Single)
  • Conveniently Engaged to the Boss
  • A Brush with Fate
  • How to be a Genius
I used to practice environmental law, and am still passionate about protecting animals and wild spaces.

My work as a lawyer informs my work as a writer. I love to research a question endlessly. With Lonely, I spent years reading everything I could about long-term loneliness. With Count Me In, I read everything I could about connection and belonging.

Count Me In is a "bigger" book than Lonely. That