Start by marking “New Poems, 1907” as Want to Read:
New Poems, 1907

New Poems, 1907

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  311 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Rainer Maria Rilke's move to Paris in 1902 and his close association with Rodin led him to take a new direction in his poetry. Between 1906 and 1908 he produced a torrent of brilliant work that was published in two separate volumes under the title Neue Gedichte, or New Poems. As the celebrated Rilke translator Edward Snow observes, these books "together constitute one of t ...more
Published June 3rd 2014 by North Point Press (first published 1907)

To ask other readers questions about New Poems, 1907, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Poems, 1907

Ci
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read-books
Perhaps the following poem summarizes my first impression of Rilke's New Poems:

The Rose Window

In there: The lazy pacing of their paws
creates a stillness that's almost dizzying;
and how, then, suddenly one of the cats
takes the gaze on it, that strays now and then,
violently into its great eye --
The gaze that, as if seized by a whirlpool's
circle, for a little while swims
and then sinks and ceases to remember,
when this eye, which apparently rests,
opens and slams shut with a roaring
and tears
Simon
Feb 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Etwas unausgewogen für meinen Geschmack (Ortsbeschreibungen und Blumen-blabla sind nicht mein Ding), aber auch viele tolle Zeilen und Gedichte: Der Panther, Die Spitze, Spanische Tänzerin, usw.

Sie wollten blühn, und blühn ist schön sein; doch wir wollen reifen, und das heißt dunkel sein und sich bemühn.
(Im Saal)
Du schnell vergehendes Daguerreotyp in meinen langsamer vergehenden Händen.
(Jugendbild meines Vaters)
Und wenn uns eines Tages dieses Tun und was an uns geschieht gering erschiene und uns
Cassandra
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Many of these poems are quite amazing in translation, and as it is a bilingual edition, it was possible to look over at the German and get a sense for the original flow; many of them were rhymed but I think Snow made the right decision in not forcing that into the English versions. It is nice to be able to query phrases that seem a little off; I had an enjoyable time putting one of my favourites ("The Olive Garden") into Google translate in the German and seeing what it came up with.

Rilke wrote
Nicholas During
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very beautiful poems. Again, I have to admit to knowing very little about poetry and therefore may not be a great judge. Nor do I know German and so can hardly criticize this translation. What I do want to say is that Rilke's ability to perceived objects, both Greek works of art and more mundane practical items (though I guess many Grecian vases would have been mundane in their original use), and transform them in to different ways of seeing the world is pretty amazing. Also it is a very interes ...more
Bethany
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry-class
This is a truly amazing book of poems for me, as someone who spends most of their poetry describing images to convey stories and emotions. Rilke, particularly in the second half, has the ability to write paintings. Due to tiredness, I can't truly explain effectively except to say that the sound and imagery make some of the best poetry I've read in an extremely long time.

Particularly useful in this volume was the notes at the bottom. The only problem with his poems, and the only reason it does no
Matt Ambs
Rilke's fine art of the external poem, in which he writes not upon his feelings but upon things which he has felt. At times, especially in Rilke's addition of his second collection of new poems, the poems seem rather callous, rather spiritless, but perhaps what Rilke has done through his self-dispossession allows, for the first time, the poem to stand alone, to take on metaphorical meaning through the establishment of natural tensions, natural contradictions, and natural harmonies. We come to se ...more
SooYoung
I always want to like Rilke more than I do. I hate having to read poetry in translation, but Snow's translation of these poems seem to be highly regarded, so I don't think my lack of love for Rilke is due to a mistranslation.

Poems I enjoyed: Love Song, The Unicorn, Childhood, A Woman's Fate, Going Blind, In the Hall, Birth of Venus, and The Bowl of Roses.

Favorite image:

The saint looked up, and the prayer
fell back like a helmet from his head:
for the never-believed-in silently approached:

- The Un
Jan 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rilke, to me, is the pinnacle of what poetry can achieve. And I don't even speak German! Of all the volumes of his work, somehow these speak to me the most. It was at this point in his career that his style had matured... the succinctness and yet the gradual unfolding of meaning in these poems... they truly astound me.

Of every translation I have seen, Snow's is the strongest. He is something of a poet himself. I cannot recommend this highly enough... but be warned it may alter you irrevocably.
Gaby
May 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hay muchos poemas muy interesantes y excelentes también. Otros no son muy lo mío, aunque lo cierto es que la poesía en sí no es totalmente mi estilo. Sin embargo, tenía muchas ganas de leer a Rilke y estoy bastante satisfecha con el resultado. Lo que más quiero ahora es encontrar una buena traducción de sus "Primeros Poemas".
Mar'yana
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This set of poems is another demonstration of the infinite unfolding of the soul. Everything Rilke wrote is so sensible and beautiful. I don't really know why and I don't feel this with so many authors, but sometimes I wish I knew him in person. Luckily there are all his poems left.

Oh Rilke, how much I love you.
Virtuella
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After decades of cherry-picking from this collection, I have finally read it cover to cover. So, not every poem Rilke wrote was absolute genius, but most of them are. New favourites include: Die Parke; Orpheus.Eurydike.Hermes; Der Junggeselle, Der Pavillion, Josuas Landtag, Im Saal.
Marc
Feb 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice Edition and especially good text comment. And of course beautiful "thing poems", particularly those about his journey in Flanders.
Rachel
Apr 27, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good poems, with themes ranging from simple/everyday things to epic characters and religious themes
Piet Michael
ein paar herausragende gedichte, aber vieles ist überflüssig und langweilig, weil immer im selben stil
Kate
Mar 03, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I bit off more Rilke than I could chew; the library shelves do that to me.

I will return to this.
Jesús
Jan 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Algunos poemas, y algunos versos o detalles dentro de otros, me parecieron sencillamente excelentes. Otros no me llegaron tanto. De ahí que no le ponga más estrellas.
Stephen
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A few good snowy hours or weeks here. Not a big fan of Rilke in English, but Edward Snow pulls off this translation well. Hard to tear yourself away from.
Laura-nassidesa Eschbaugh
This is an excellant collection of poems, the translations true to what Rilke wrote. I have read snatches of some of these works but it is wonderful to have the whole collection
Jeff
Stacey Swain-campos
Jan 28, 2012
Alexander Veee
Oct 22, 2009
Goodreads Librari...: please add book cover from amazon 4 12 Aug 13, 2015 06:07AM
  • Collected Poems, 1937-1971
  • Das Buch der Lieder
  • Grave of Light: New and Selected Poems, 1970-2005
  • Neruda and Vallejo: Selected Poems
  • Darkness Spoken: The Collected Poems of Ingeborg Bachmann
Rainer Maria Rilke is considered one of the German language's greatest 20th century poets.

His haunting images tend to focus on the difficulty of communion with the ineffable in an age of disbelief, solitude, and profound anxiety — themes that tend to position him as a transitional figure between the traditional and the modernist poets.

He wrote in both verse and a highly lyrical prose. His two mos
More about Rainer Maria Rilke...

“His vision, from the constantly passing bars, has grown so weary that it cannot hold anything else. It seems to him there are a thousand bars; and behind the bars, no world.” 4 likes