Start by marking “Fae (Rhonda Parrish's Magical Menageries)” as Want to Read:
Fae (Rhonda Parrish's Magical Menageries)

Fae

(Rhonda Parrish's Magical Menageries)

Meet Robin Goodfellow as you've never seen him before, watch damsels in distress rescue themselves, get swept away with the selkies and enjoy tales of hobs, green men, pixies and phookas. One thing is for certain, these are not your grandmother's fairy tales.

Fairies have been both mischievous and malignant creatures throughout history. They've dwelt in forests, collected t
Published July 22nd 2014 by World Weaver Press (first published July 16th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Fae, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fae

The Iron King by Julie KagawaWicked Lovely by Melissa MarrDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningTithe by Holly BlackWings by Aprilynne Pike
Books about Faery
1,034 books — 2,365 voters
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt ScamanderGnomes by Wil HuygenFaeries by Brian FroudA Tolkien Bestiary by David DayThe Book of Imaginary Beings by Jorge Luis Borges
Bestiaries
241 books — 117 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Fae (Rhonda Parrish's Magical Menageries)
Marquise
All seventeen stories about Fae were good, some more and some less, so everyone's going to find a fistful of them to enjoy. The stories present a variety of POVs, human sometimes and Fae other times, as well as the type of portrayal, as in some the Fae are noble creatures and in others they're terrifying, and of course, some plots are mainstream modern ideas of Fae in Paranormal and others stick close to the traditional legends and tales of fairies. There's something for everyone!

For me, three s
Stephanie A. Cain
This was a well-selected collection of stories about the Fae, and it made me restless and twitchy in the best way possible--the way I always feel when I'm reading about the Fae, which means the authors collected here got it right.

I'd be lying if I tried to tell you that "And Only The Eyes of Children" by Laura VanArendonk Baugh wasn't my favorite story, but then I'm biased. I got to read this story as part of my critique group, and it made me openly envious that I hadn't written it. Baugh captur
Kate Wolford
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
FAE is a fabulous collection of stories of faerie folk. The 17 tales cover a truly wide-ranging array of supernatural beings to be intrigued by, fall in love with, feel empathy for and feel terrified by.

I loved all of the stories, so by noting the following, I'm not playing favorites. (There's not a dud in the collection, so kudos to Rhonda Parrish, editor.)

There's Kristina Wojtaszek's imaginative and charming "Solomon's Friend," about a a mom, a boy, a diary and a hob (goblin, I suppose). Mom l
Jess the Shelf-Declared Bibliophile
I absolutely adored each and every one of these stories. I can't wait to read the other collections by this editor. These were brand new, perfectly and flawlessly done fairy tales, transporting the reader to a whole other world!
Amanda Block
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Okay, so I'm biased - I'm in this anthology. But the reason I write fairy tale-inspired stories is because I love reading fairy tale-inspired stories, and so I found 'Fae' a delight from start to finish.

The standout tales for me were Beth Cato's mesmerising 'The Cartography of Shattered Trees', Liz Colter's sexy and sinister 'The Last King' and Laura VanArendonk Baugh's truly original 'And Only The Eyes of Children'. But really, every author had something new and fresh to bring to the fairy tabl
Leslie V
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fae is everything I wanted in an anthology. The prose is beautiful, good conflict, lovable/hateable characters, dynamic plots, and sensational world building. It is one of the best anthologies I have ever had the pleasure of reading. Fae is an example of an editor taking risks and reaping the rewards. Nothing upsets me more when you have a great story that doesn’t go the distance – and these authors are a perfect blend of what works. I loved every story in Fae for different reasons. I cannot wai ...more
Brittany
May 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Sara Cleto and I were honored when Rhonda Parrish asked us to write an introduction to this fantastic collection of stories about the fae - well worth checking out, a wonderful anthology!
Lissa Sloan
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fairy-tales
While I am a huge fairy tale fan the stories I prefer usually don't include actual fairies. But if tales of fairies were all like the stories in Rhonda Parrish's collection, Fae, I would soon change my mind. This anthology includes seventeen stories featuring a selkie, an each-uisge (water horse), a hob, and many other kinds of fairies. The stories are varied, ranging from the traditional to the modern, even including other worlds.

There are so many terrific stories in this collection it's hard
S.L. Saboviec
This is a melancholy, gorgeous collection of short stories featuring fairies--some large, some small, some nice, some terrible, all a little bit magical and a little bit "off." Every single one holds its own in the collection. Some I liked more than others, but there were more of the ones that I loved than the ones that I wasn't sure about.

And this cover! This COVER!

I've been reading collections and anthologies lately between other books. Usually the short story book gets drawn out over a long p
Fallon
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is very interesting because it is all about fairies. This book is very well written and it is full of facts about the mythical creatures known as fairies. This is the best anthology that I have ever read. This book is a must read for those who love fairies.
Don
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second consecutive book I've read that is a collection of short stories, but this is an anthology of short stories from different authors "sharing" a basic theme, of, as the title suggests, about Fae. Reading this book reminded me of reading a book that contained folk and fairy tales of Ireland in an Irish Lit class in college, in that, despite the varied settings, they seem to all invoke a time where the world seemed more mysterious. I use the quotation marks above when stating that the sto ...more
L.D. Colter
May 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I'll start with the disclaimer that I'm a contributing author in this anthology. I was delighted to be included in this anthology, though, as stories of the fae are one of my favorite things to read. Not fairy tales, not even "Grimm" fairy tales, but the stories taken from the oldest myths of the fae, the ones who are mischievous, self-serving, dangerous, and utterly inhuman. The length of time it took me to read this is no reflection on the book itself - I read mainly in audio and tend to progr ...more
Laura Baugh
May 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: fiction
So it's a bit odd to write a review because yes, my story is in this anthology. So let's just agree that I like my own story, sure, but I would have rated and reviewed the book even without it because, you know, fae.

There are a LOT of different takes on the fairy concept here, from Celtic to cyber, and whether you like traditional or innovative tales, there's probably something here for you. Settings range from the American Civil War to interstellar space to the dark woods of mythology to urban
Lynne
Jun 11, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a delightfully original collection of fairy tales, many of which have a modern setting. However, I could have done without the editorial comments at the end of each one. Rather than imposing their own opinion on the reader, a good editor should let us make up our own minds about the quality of the content.
Beth Cato
Apr 26, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Not a review. Contains my story "The Cartography of Shattered Trees."
Elisa
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Beautiful. Everything I want from fairy tales.
Heather M. O'Connor
I quite enjoyed this themed anthology about the fae-folk. Each writer led me down a different path. The stories were magical, enchanting, and like the fae, sometimes quite terrifying.
Elesha
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book has a great variety of stories that show Fae in unique ways. If you enjoy faery or supernatural stories, this is a must read.
Gordon Gravley
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
If I thought fantasy/fairy stories could be this good I would have read the genre years ago. This is great stuff! I look forward to the other collections also edited by Ms. Parrish.
Carla
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Especially liked Rosie Red Jacket, The Queen of Lakes, Possession, Solomon's Friend. The Fairy Midwife.
Tess
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book of fairy tales and then some. New approaches to old themes are surprising and entertaining.
Sasha Ruggiero
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it
This anthology shows the fair folk in a spectrum of tiny morsels from a variety of angles. My main critique would be that many of the stories are so short that they seem almost pointless. Only a few
Managed to make full plot arcs- the rest were a random jumble of ideas that ended without impact or meaning. Nonetheless, if you are committed to fey mythology enough to trudge through the slow and meaningless parts then there are a few stories in here with concepts here that are fresh, intriguing and
Nicole
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was a little disappointed with D is for Dinosaur, there were only a handful of stories I liked in that one. However, in Fae, I don't think there was a story I didn't like. Most, if not all, I downright loved. The stories were imaginative, sad, creepy and fantastical. I also really enjoyed the editor's notes after each story. I'm really sad that I'm done reading Fae. Fortunately, I've got Sirens to read, and I'll definitely look into buying other anthologies from Rhonda Parrish.
Marlena Frank
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun anthology and I really liked how the fae are portrayed in this. They’re funny, terrifying, helpful, and dangerous depending on what story you’re on. I’ve always loved reading stories about the fae, not just about tiny fairies who live in the earth like they frequently seem to be portrayed. Each story had me eagerly turning the page to see what happened next. I’m looking forward to reading more installments in the magical menageries series.
Sandy
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing set of short stories

This is an excellent collection of short stories, all involving some version of the fae. Some of them are helpful, some are not but each story is unique and well crafted. They range from stories verging on the horror genre, to more classical fairytales. A different but interesting analogy and a quick read
Shelley
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Some great short stories.
Karen MacLean
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous stories about the nether worlds we live in.
Brian Wilkerson
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Rhonda Parish asked me to read an anthology she edited call "Fae". Its theme is fairies and more specifically, the kind of fairies known as Fair Folk from the old folklore instead of the later, Victorian idea. The introduction goes into this in more detail. Suffice to say that there's a lot of diversity here. I will look at a couple for this review and then give the book as a whole a grade.

"Only The Eyes Of Children"

This is a 1st person narrative with a smart ass half-fey. The protagonist, "Ro
Renee Freeman
Love the short stories.

Love these stories. I really felt I was in the stories themselves. Nice to get entirely lost in magical genre.
Marquita
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really liked this anthology. I will review in more detail at a later date.

• Euphoria
  • in the absence of the sun
  • The Crawling Darkness (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #3)
  • House of Whispers (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper, #5)
  • Lullaby (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #7)
  • The Keeper (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #8)
  • Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #1)
  • Bad Omens (Witches of Palmetto Point #9)
  • The Paraclete Poetry Anthology: Selected and New Poems
  • Buried Magic (White Haven Witches Book 1)
  • Snorkeling: The Ultimate Beginners Crash Course To The Wonderful Hobby of Snorkel! (Scuba, Snorkeling, Diving, Scuba Diver, Scuba Diving, Diver's Handbook, Fishing)
  • Charleston's Ghosts: Hauntings in the Holy City
  • Petals of the Moon: A Poetry Collection
  • Magic Unbound (White Haven Witches Book 2)
  • Thomas the Rhymer
  • Undying Magic (White Haven Witches, #5)
  • Wildflower Tea: A Poetry Collection
  • Black Book of Poems II
Like a magpie, Rhonda Parrish is constantly distracted by shiny things. She’s the editor of many anthologies and author of plenty of books, stories and poems.

She lives with her husband and three cats in Edmonton, Alberta, and she can often be found there playing Dungeons and Dragons, bingeing crime dramas or cheering on the Oilers.

Her website, updated regularly, is at http://www.rhondaparrish.com

Rhonda Parrish's Magical Menageries (5 books)
  • Corvidae
  • Scarecrow
  • Sirens (Rhonda Parrish's Magical Menageries)
  • Equus (Rhonda Parrish's Magical Menageries)

News & Interviews