Start by marking “Follow Your Gut: How the Ecosystem in Your Gut Determines Your Health, Mood, and More” as Want to Read:

(TED Books #5)

Allergies, asthma, obesity, stomachaches, acne: these are just a few of the conditions that may be caused—and cured—by the microscopic life inside us. Understand how to use groundbreaking science to improve your health, mood, and more.

In just the last few years, scientists have shown how the microscopic ecosystem within our bodies—particularly within our intestines—has an
Published January 6th 2015 by Simon & Schuster/ TED (first published November 4th 2014)

Kelwalin Dhanasarnsombut
A very informative bite-size science book that only needs a day to finish, really.
Having studied about microorganisms at school but after a journey with this book, you may never feel the sane about them. They cause disease, both infectious and non-infectious, determine your mood, involve in allergies, keep you healthy, control whether you are likely to be fat or slim, and being your fingerprint. Microbiome is your ID; another personal biological data apart from personal genome.
Very well written
Amiad
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it
ספר קצר על העולם הבלתי מוכר של החיידקים בגוף האדם.

הספר נחמד ומשעשע אבל זה תחום חדש וכמו שהוא חוזר וכותב לא ידוע למדענים הרבה על זה כך שזה מסקרן אבל לא מוסיף הרבה מידע.
Mike
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Short, easy-to-read (some might say "lightweight", with justification) book about the microbiome: the bacteria that live on your skin, in your mouth, and (most notably) in your gut. They make up about 10% of your body weight, 90% of your cells, and 99% of your (total) DNA.

What I like about this book, and what sets it apart from other short, lightweight books about science topics, is that it's really about the science. And by that, I mean the process of science, the process of understanding and k
Ha Thu
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Very interesting facts about what human body is compound of. The microbes that we carry everyday might be our new fingerprint that defines us as individual in the planet. It affects our health, our mood, even our behavior. I find it amusing, come to think of it from buddhism teaching, that our human body is indeed a universe just the same as the universe we are living in, we may be the "microbes" in our host planet, behave just like them, affecting the surrounding environments and influenced by ...more
Brittany Jerlinga
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great little primer! Not quite appropriate for middle school aged kids, (I was hoping to include it in my class library) but a fantastic introduction to the topic for adults-- it only took about an hour to read. Well worth the price.
Tetsu Dtantirojrat
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
เคยอานเรืองเกียวกับจุลินทรียและการคนพบยาปฏิชีวนะมาจากสงครามทีไมมีวันชนะ และอานเพิมเติมเกียวกับการปลูกถายอุจจาระมาจาก blockdit คอลัมภบทเรียนจากเชือโรค พออานเลมนีเหมือนกับไดตอยอดความรูเพิมเติม ไดทังสาระและความสนุกเพราะอานไดงาย ไมเครงวิชาการจนเกินไป

ทุกวันนีนอกจากเราแตละคนจะมีรอยเทาคารบอน รอยนิวมือดิจิตอลแลว เรายังมีรอยนิวมือจุลินทรียเปนของตัวเองทีไมซำกับคนอืนอีกดวย

หนังสือเลมนีบอกเลาวาเรากำลังศึกษาอะไรอยู กำลังทำความเขาใจสิงมีชีวิตเลกๆ เหลานีในแงไหน และเราจะเดินทางตอไปในทิศทางใด

และอยางทีหนังสือเลมนี
Edith
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very educational short TED-talk-based short book on the influence of microbes on human health. Readily understandable. What a lot has been going on in the world of microbial research, and how exciting the prospects are! Microbes, as it turns out, influence the human body profoundly--each of us carries about 3 pounds of the things around with us, and we have more microbe genetic data inside us than human. Utterly fascinating, but brief, update on what's going on inside you.
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
An excellent quick primer on one of the most exciting areas of discovery in science today: the human microbiome. I can't seem to get enough of this subject - the more I read, the more fascinated I become. The influence of the trillions of microbes living within us on our physical health, mental health, and even possibly our thought processes is nothing short of astonishing.

I encourage anyone looking for a solid introduction into the human microbiome to read this book.
Ellie Robinson
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some great information and a study I'm involved in is in the book, so that is cool.
Monica
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, english
Very interesting, if not entirely new. Short, entertaining and accurate (as much as it can be...)
Aimee
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Audiobook. Excellent. Discusses some very interesting subjects such as how gut biome can determines weight causing overweight for one person and normal weight even when both people have the same diet, how import our gut biome is adversely affected by overly clean and sterile environment, how important the gut biome is to mental and physical health, etc.

He also discusses how people have been healed very debilitating digestive diseases from FMT (fecal matter transplants...ew...). Also, the importa
Annie
Nov 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting stuff. Now I understand why mosquitoes seem to prefer me :( My microbiome is responsible.
A microbe, or “microscopic organism,” is a living thing that is too small to be seen with the naked eye.
Only 10% of the cells in our body are human! For every one of our cells, there are 10 microbial cells living on or inside our body. If we measure by DNA, we have 20K human genes but we carry 2M-20M microbial genes!
The human DNA is 99.99% identical to the another human, but you might only share
Mary Ronan Drew
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A report on the most recent developments concerning the microbes in and on your body. There are more of them than you might thing. This is one of a series of short (fewer than 100 pages) TED books. I've found the ones I've read filled with amazing information.

The author is taking part in a crowd-sourced medical study of people's microbiome which is different for every person. For a donation of $99 to the Human Biomes Project and a few swabs from here and there on your body you can discover some
Serena
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
In compliance with FTC guidelines, I have won this book through the Goodreads Giveaways in April and after several complaints to Simon & Schuster and Goodreads I have finally received the book.

That being said, the book is excellent and well written with solid information given in a humorous manner that guarantees it will be retained.

My Rating System:
James
Nov 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Listened to on CD. Very interesting work on how the the microbes in, on and around your body affect your health. In the ensuing years, it will be interesting to see the scientific breakthroughs on how tiny microbes contribute to our health, wellness and disease.
Glen Templeton
Andy
Apr 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Pretty interesting information and a quick introduction to microbiomes. Fairly easy to understand, I am interested to read more about this subject.
Rana
Apr 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Fascinating subject, but didn't learn anything new. I really want to do the American gut project!
Maria Paiz
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great little book for people unrelated to the medical field to start learning about the human microbiome: the world of microbes that live on and in our bodies that affects everything from our health to our mood. The book is based on a TED-talk by Rob Knight, who is also the founder of the American Gut Project. I found many facts in this book interesting, especially the idea that certain bacteria may affect conditions such as autism, obesity, depression, IBS, colon cancer, arthritis, di ...more
Martha Meyer
Jul 29, 2018 rated it liked it
You've heard a lot about the human microbiome -- it is a hot topic! But, most of the articles assume a certain amount of knowledge. What is all this about microbes and their effect on us? Where's the instruction manual?

In 2014, Rob Knight, a professor of pediatrics and computer science and engineering, gave a TED talk about human microbiota . He was uniquely suited to give this TED talk; he is the Director of the Microbiome Initiative at UC Davis and the co-founder of both the American Gut Proje
John Wood
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Based on a TED talk, this book gives a concise overview of the recent research on the microbiota in our body especially those in our gut. Many research studies of the effects of probiotics and prebiotics are cited. The book states that much more research is needed and offers no real strategies for using this knowledge. The American Gut Project, a study of the microbes of the gut, using samples submitted by interested individuals, was started by the author, Rob Knight. For a fee, anyone can submi ...more
Francesca
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read it now and follow the inspiration!

A funny, extended TED talk style book that's appropriate for YA and above.

Author is very good at /writing in the skepticism/ and showing that science has humility--to admit what it does know, doesn't know and will probably change given the data.

I admire the openeness he has about events in his life and paints them very well without being...gross as they could be.

Well worth the read, as exciting as CRISPR yet is underrated.
Colton Pendley
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very short, but informing read. A great book about how our bodies are entire ecosystems for a diverse group of microbes and how they affect our health, and other aspects of our life. My favorite chapter discusses antibiotics, and how people are more worried about vaccines than they are the misuse of antibiotics which proves to be much more problem-some. Would recommend to anyone interested in science.
Shara
Feb 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: educational, health
This audiobook was from a TED talks study on the human microbiome. I find this an extremely fascinating subject and I am quite eager to learn more about it. Every single one of us has our own unique personal biological microscopic "fingerprint" of living bacteria that comprises about 90% of our DNA. These millions of microscopic bacteria are alive and thriving in our gut, our mouth and on our skin. Considering they make up the majority of our bodies, it should be no surprise that they have an en ...more
Andres Varela
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Es una buena introducción al mundo del microbioma humano. A pesar de ser del 2015 aun contiene información útil para entender la fundamental importancia de las bacterias en nuestra vida. El lenguaje que usa para divulgar es algo vago y las comparaciones usadas no son las mejores, a veces se pone un poco enredado y aburrido, pero es algo de lectura rápida para darse una pequeña idea del tema.
Andrew Ervin
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found the book to be surprisingly interesting. I enjoyed his work on the microbiology and the impact it makes on your body. The microbiology could impact your weight, mood, and your resistance to bacteria infections . The topic sounds like it is relatively new and it would be fascinating to hear about the end results in a couple of years.
Bastian
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ich sehe gerade, dass ich nicht exakt dieses Buch gelesen habe. Das Buch hieß: "Wir sind viele: Wie kleine Mikroben einen großen Einfluss auf uns haben." Darin habe ich viele neue Erkenntnisse über dieses junge Forschungsfeld gewonnen. Sehr zu empfehlen.
Desiree
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a good introduction into the world of cells. My daughter and I participated in a study and this book was sent to us. I find the study and mapping of microbes to be fascinating since the discovery is fairly new.
Wan Shoo
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun and precise! Anything basic you want to know about the ecosystem in your body that could affect your health. Those who are parents-to-be should read this book. Sometimes complicated things is best explained in a simple way, the author did well!!
  • Confessions of a School Nurse (The Confessions Series)
  • The Good Gut: Taking Control of Your Weight, Your Mood, and Your Long-term Health
  • The Germ Code
  • Epi-paleo Rx: The Prescription for Disease Reversal and Optimal Health
  • The Physics of Christmas: From the Aerodynamics of Reindeer to the Thermodynamics of Turkey
  • Emergency Admissions: Memoirs of an Ambulance Driver
  • The Bad Doctor
  • Missing Microbes: How the Overuse of Antibiotics Is Fueling Our Modern Plagues
  • One Bloody Thing After Another: The World's Gruesome History
  • Zapped: Why Your Cell Phone Shouldn't Be Your Alarm Clock and 1,268 Ways to Outsmart the Hazards of Electronic Pollution
  • Beyond Measure: The Big Impact of Small Changes
  • Judge This
  • Further Confessions of a GP
  • All About Eggs
  • The Gut Balance Revolution: Boost Your Metabolism, Restore Your Inner Ecology, and Lose the Weight for Good!
  • The Diet Myth: The Real Science Behind What We Eat
  • Mapping Fate: A Memoir of Family, Risk, and Genetic Research
  • 10% Human: How Your Body's Microbes Hold the Key to Health and Happiness

TED Books (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • The Terrorist's Son: A Story of Choice
  • The Art of Stillness: Adventures in Going Nowhere
  • The Mathematics of Love: Patterns, Proofs, and the Search for the Ultimate Equation
  • The Future of Architecture in 100 Buildings
  • Beyond Measure: The Big Impact of Small Changes
  • Judge This
  • How We'll Live on Mars
  • Why We Work
  • The Laws of Medicine: Field Notes from an Uncertain Science
  • The Boiling River: Adventure and Discovery in the Amazon
“Mycobacterium vaccae, a soil bacterium, has reduced anxiety. Intriguingly, in a social stress situation (essentially, smaller mice are put in a cage with a much larger, dominant mouse, which beats them up), M. vaccae treatment makes the mice much more resilient against the effects of stress, possibly providing a model for treating stress disorders in humans.22” 0 likes
“But farmers noticed as far back as the 1950s that livestock on low doses of antibiotics gained weight a lot more rapidly, even at doses lower than the therapeutic dose. Livestock in the United States is commonly treated with low doses of antibiotics solely to increase the size, and thus the value, of the animals.” 0 likes