Start by marking “Cemetery Dance (Pendergast, #9)” as Want to Read:
Cemetery Dance (Pendergast, #9)

Cemetery Dance

(Pendergast #9)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  20,461 ratings  ·  1,142 reviews
Pendergast-the world's most enigmatic FBI Special Agent-returns to New York City to investigate a murderous cult.

William Smithback Jr., a prominent New York Times reporter, was killed in a brutal attack in his Upper West Side apartment. His wife, Nora Kelly, an archeologist at the Museum of Natural History, was injured as well. Multiple eyewitness identified the assailant
Published May 12th 2009 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Cemetery Dance, please sign up.
Carmen S. It's in several parts and very descriptive.
To make things worse, violence is against baby animals.
If you can't stand it, you should just skip the…more
It's in several parts and very descriptive.
To make things worse, violence is against baby animals.
If you can't stand it, you should just skip the book. It's not necessary to proceed to the next ones.
Although it's a very good book, I mean if you think that no real animals had been harmed in the writing of this book. ;)(less)

Ginger
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, buddy-read
5 STARS!! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

What a great book and the plot was fantastic!
I was on the edge of my seat with this whole book. The shocks and plot twists just kept coming at me. I ended up binge reading the last 150 pages of this book because I could not put it down!

The Pendergast books are a perfect combination of suspense, action and thrills.
Cemetery Dance is set in NYC and involves all of our favorite characters.
Pendergast, D'Agosta, Hayward, Smithback and Nora Kelly. I've enjoyed reading about all of their
Matthew
Action packed mystery and suspense! Another great Pendergast novel. This one will have you guessing and second guessing the whole time.

While this is a standalone story, it does have its place in the series (after the Diogenes trilogy) and enough references to the previous actions of the characters (especially Thunderhead), that it would behoove you to read it in order.

At first, I was not feeling this book as much as I was the others. The plot felt forced and some of the characters felt like they
Juli
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zombies. VooDoo. Animal sacrifices. A violent cult. Cemetery Dance, book #9 in the Agent Pendergast series, has a little bit of everything. And once again it is a brilliantly creepy tale.

Two of Agent Pendergast's cohorts -- William Smithback and Nora Kelly -- are celebrating their anniversary when they are brutally attacked in their New York apartment. Witnesses are able to identify the assailant. The only problem is the suspect died three weeks before the attack. Soon Pendergast and Lieutenant
Terry
This next installment in the Pendergast series by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child really ramps up the action. While all of the books have been good, this one was exceptional, both for the mystery and the action. Our favorite characters are there and they lived up to my expectations as to who they are supposed to be, while at the same time, growing to become more. I continue to be impressed with these authors and this series. While all of these books in this series have their moments of horror ...more
Emma
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! Really enjoyed this one. It seemed to me a return to the form of the pre-Diogenes books. Great story, action almost from the very first page, a fascinating look at a different part of New York. It was pretty creepy too. Such a great series. Join me on my campaign: #Pendergast for President...
J.K. Grice
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
The Preston & Child machine roll on with another smash!!
kartik narayanan
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cemetery Dance is a return to form for Agent Pendergast. It has an intriguing mystery, hints of the macabre and the return of some familiar characters. Surprisingly, for a story set in New York, it is not focused on the Museum of Natural History. And there is no Constance.

The trademark subtle humour returns intertwined with a pretty serious plot. The one negative for me were little changes in Pendergast’s character.

Miloš
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-wish-to-have
Pure 5 stars. As usuall...
Debbie
Jun 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Wow, I just finished this book and it brought back the feeling I had when I first read Relic and met Agent Pendergast. When I first heard that this book had been released I was a little hesitant as I did not enjoy The Wheel of Darkness as much as some of Preston’s and Childs’ other books. But the first 10 pages will blow your mind! I could not believe how they started off the book and I have to admit I was a little devastated.

That said I felt like after those first few pages you feel like you ha
Matt Schiariti
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Let me preface this that I picked up a copy and had it signed by Preston and Child themsevles at the very first stop of their book signing tour at a local Barnes and Noble. If you have an opportunity to go see them, do so! Very personable, open to questions and had a great time talking to the fans, signing the books and answering the questions! They are working on another book and I did ask them if we'll ever see a sequel to Ice Limit (which if you'll recall was mentioned in Still Life with Crow ...more
Margaret
Jul 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
fleurette
Jun 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
“Excuse me, Pendergast, but I have to ask: you don’t actually believe that stuff about oanga and zombiis?”
“My dear Vincent, I don’t believe anything. I am not a priest. I deal with evidence and probabilities, not beliefs.”
“Yeah, I know. But I mean, Night of the Living Dead? No way.”
“That is a rather categorical statement.”

For some strange reason that isn't really clear even to me, I have omitted this book in the series. I have read all the books preceding this one in right order and all the
Adrienne
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf, fiction
I do, to date, have loved the books of Lincoln and Child. And especially love the Special Agent Pendergast. But the story line was too much for me: voodoo and zombies.
Buck
Nov 17, 2009 rated it it was ok
It seems that the longer many of my favorite series go, the more tiresome they become. I'm afraid that Preston and Child's Pendergast series is doing just that.

The plot of this one revolves around a hybrid form of voodoo and a secret town hidden inside a park in the middle of NYC. I won't go into the plot details here because it is irrelevant to my main beef with the work.

Over the years I have enjoyed Pendergast. He always seemed to be something of a modern age Sherlock Holmes. He was at once m
Brooke
May 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, 2009
Shiva Pillai
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. one heck of a comeback. Very glad that the writers decided to stick to the tried and tested formula of awesomeness. I can't wait to find out what was in that letter that was being delivered to the special agent. Off to the next one...
Kasia
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
By now the authors must think that it’s pretty funny to toy with the reader’s heart, I’m a constant fan when it comes to the Perndergast books but putting the lives of all my favorite characters into some seriously creepy jeopardy is not funny!! I think by page 153 I was making disturbing sounds one night reading on the couch because I was asked what the heck was I reading and if I was all right… yes thanks, just getting my internal organs rearranged… Cemetery Dance is book number nine in the FB ...more
Julie
May 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
My least favorite of this series. Jumbled. Disjointed. Not enough Pendergast. I completed it because I love the rest of the series so much & thought it was worth persevering.
Lobstergirl
Jan 24, 2018 rated it did not like it

Painfully awful. Preston and Child's ploy, I believe in every single novel, is to create some paranormal thing - a monster, demon, apparition, homeschooled child - and then at the end of the novel pretend it was not really paranormal. There is a scientific explanation for everything, and at the end of each tome it unspools from Agent Pendergast's mouth.

Here, it's zombies. Although they aren't satisfied with that spelling, it has to be zombiis. Note, although this seems to be a book about voodoo
Ken Kugler
May 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
“Cemetery Dance” is the latest book in a series that started with Relic. In this latest installment the setting is NYC and the story is centered on Voudou, zombiis, animal rights, greed, as well as the dance that is always played between people in relationships. The relationship between the main characters, which the authors Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child have developed into complex have invested us with deep interest.
The people that populate this series are FBI agent Aloysius Prendergast, Li
Abby
Mar 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reporter Bill Smithback has just been attacked by a dead man walking. Leave it to our favorite detectives to solve this mystery. It was really only a matter of time before this series explored the world of zombies and voodoo. However, this one fell a little short for me. The story was less charming than others and I didn't really feel for the characters, though it's always sad when we lose a favorite throughout the series narrative. Hopefully there isn't a trend of bad books with the rest of thi ...more
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
Mar 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Really enjoyed this. The opening of the story really grabbed my attention. There were some far-fetched, unrealistic elements but also some beautifully described settings. It's the first book I've read in this series but won't be the last :-)
Catherine
This story was nutso crazy balls but I loved it!
Henry
Shorty
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is my very first Preston/Childs novel, besides Preston's The Monster Of Venice, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I had been told these novels could stand alone, and it did.

Very fast paced, from the first page, it kept my attention to the last one. Was it zombiis? Was it not? Who knew! But with as smart a writing as this book has, I knew it wasn't just another band-wagon genre-based vampires, no... werewolves, no.. novel about the latest Fad in Writing. THANK GOD!!! (I am SO tired of them all,
Benjamin Thomas
After the previous disappointing Pendergast novel, The Wheel of Darkness, I had decided to take a break from the series. That one had sort of departed from the rest of the series and didn’t include very many of the supporting characters I had come to know and love. Part of what makes this series special for me are those other characters, many of them almost more of a protagonist than agent Pendergast himself.

Happily, this ninth novel is a very nice return to form. Pendergast seems to have return
Mike (the Paladin)
Dec 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Again torn between a 3 and a 4 here. I finally settled on a 4. The books (by that I mean the Pendergast novels) are all fairly interesting if....I don't know, maybe the word, melodramatic fits. I think it's Moss Hart to whom the quote "there's nothing wrong with melodrama as long as it's good melodrama" belongs (not sure about that though). Are these "good melodrama"? Well, these are usually, pretty good. Though the stories sometimes stray over into the land of "oh come on now" it would be hard ...more
Erin L
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
I don't know what it is about these books. Every time, I let the authors lead me down the path, believing in the supernatural elements, assuming this time they've truly stumbled upon a voodoo cult in the middle of New York, just hiding there for decades waiting to be discovered.

And it really looks that way as this story unfolds. We start out with a long-running character - Bill Smithback getting murdered. This is all well and good until they realize that the prime suspect, the guy caught on came
Nostalgia Reader
This installment certainly redeems the series after the disappointment that was Wheel of Darkness. This one had an excellently written creep factor, well-done explanation of the case in the end, and some excellent character development in regards to flaws and weaknesses. Not my favorite five-star Pendergast book, even though this one had more suspense in the who-dun-it realm, but still very worthy of all five stars.

(This was an ARC copy.)
John Beta
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Loose as a goose on a runaway moose. Not sure what I'm saying as I'm flying a bit on cold meds. But this one lacked the story-line tightness and thrills.
Horror Aficionados : The Cemetery Dance 75 68 Apr 08, 2018 09:41AM
  • Terminal Freeze (Jeremy Logan, #2)
  • The Doomsday Key (Sigma Force, #6)
  • By the Sword (Repairman Jack, #12)
  • Dark Rising (Alex Hunter, #2)
  • Legacy (Event Group Thriller #6)
  • The Secret of Excalibur (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #3)
Douglas Preston was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in 1956, and grew up in the deadly boring suburb of Wellesley. Following a distinguished career at a private nursery school--he was almost immediately expelled--he attended public schools and the Cambridge School of Weston. Notable events in his early life included the loss of a fingertip at the age of three to a bicycle; the loss of his two fr ...more

Pendergast (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Relic (Pendergast, #1)
  • Reliquary (Pendergast, #2)
  • The Cabinet of Curiosities (Pendergast, #3)
  • Still Life With Crows (Pendergast, #4)
  • Brimstone (Pendergast, #5; Diogenes, #1)
  • Dance of Death (Pendergast, #6; Diogenes, #2)
  • The Book of the Dead (Pendergast, #7; Diogenes, #3)
  • The Wheel of Darkness (Pendergast, #8)
  • Fever Dream (Pendergast, #10)
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
“What the hell was your pal Bertin demanding?” he asked. “Sipping syrup?”

“It’s a cocktail he prefers when he gets, ah, overly excited.”

“A cocktail?”

“Of sorts. Lemon–lime soda, vodka, codeine in solution, and a Jolly Rancher candy.”

“A what?”

“Bertin prefers the watermelon–flavored variety.”

D’Agosta shook his head. “Christ. Only in Louisiana.”

“Actually, I understand the concoction originated in Houston.”
5 likes