Start by marking “Cemetery Dance (Pendergast, #9)” as Want to Read:
Cemetery Dance (Pendergast, #9)

Cemetery Dance

(Pendergast #9)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  25,224 ratings  ·  1,267 reviews
Pendergast-the world's most enigmatic FBI Special Agent-returns to New York City to investigate a murderous cult.

William Smithback Jr., a prominent New York Times reporter, was killed in a brutal attack in his Upper West Side apartment. His wife, Nora Kelly, an archeologist at the Museum of Natural History, was injured as well. Multiple eyewitness identified the assailant
Published May 12th 2009 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Cemetery Dance, please sign up.
Carmen S. It's in several parts and very descriptive.
To make things worse, violence is against baby animals.
If you can't stand it, you should just skip the bo…more
It's in several parts and very descriptive.
To make things worse, violence is against baby animals.
If you can't stand it, you should just skip the book. It's not necessary to proceed to the next ones.
Although it's a very good book, I mean if you think that no real animals had been harmed in the writing of this book. ;)(less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·
 ·  25,224 ratings  ·  1,267 reviews

Start your review of Cemetery Dance (Pendergast, #9)
Sean Gibson
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s time for another food metaphor, my friends. That’s right—the unfortunate tradition that began waaaay back with my review of Relic continues, because how else would you describe books in a series that highlights the gory activities of serial killers and psychopaths other than by comparing them to delicious comestibles?

After a somewhat lackluster outing last time around with The Wheel of Darkness, Preston and Child (and Pendergast) return to form with this delicious Slurpee of an outing. Why
Ginger
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, buddy-read
5 STARS!! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

What a great book and the plot was fantastic!
I was on the edge of my seat with this whole book. The shocks and plot twists just kept coming at me. I ended up binge reading the last 150 pages of this book because I could not put it down!

The Pendergast books are a perfect combination of suspense, action and thrills.
Cemetery Dance is set in NYC and involves all of our favorite characters.
Pendergast, D'Agosta, Hayward, Smithback and Nora Kelly. I've enjoyed reading about all of t
Matthew
Action packed mystery and suspense! Another great Pendergast novel. This one will have you guessing and second guessing the whole time.

While this is a standalone story, it does have its place in the series (after the Diogenes trilogy) and enough references to the previous actions of the characters (especially Thunderhead), that it would behoove you to read it in order.

At first, I was not feeling this book as much as I was the others. The plot felt forced and some of the characters felt like they
Juli
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zombies. VooDoo. Animal sacrifices. A violent cult. Cemetery Dance, book #9 in the Agent Pendergast series, has a little bit of everything. And once again it is a brilliantly creepy tale.

Two of Agent Pendergast's cohorts -- William Smithback and Nora Kelly -- are celebrating their anniversary when they are brutally attacked in their New York apartment. Witnesses are able to identify the assailant. The only problem is the suspect died three weeks before the attack. Soon Pendergast and Lieutenant
Emma
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! Really enjoyed this one. It seemed to me a return to the form of the pre-Diogenes books. Great story, action almost from the very first page, a fascinating look at a different part of New York. It was pretty creepy too. Such a great series. Join me on my campaign: #Pendergast for President...
Terry
This next installment in the Pendergast series by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child really ramps up the action. While all of the books have been good, this one was exceptional, both for the mystery and the action. Our favorite characters are there and they lived up to my expectations as to who they are supposed to be, while at the same time, growing to become more. I continue to be impressed with these authors and this series. While all of these books in this series have their moments of horror ...more
TS Chan
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

Oh wow, what an exhilarating and thrilling ride!

Cemetery Dance is a return to form indeed. While the Diogenes trilogy started most promisingly, that story became quite incredulous as it progressed towards its denouement. The preceding book, The Wheel of Darkness, felt inconsistent with the rest of the series as it veered too heavily on mysticism. Having said that, these books were still page-turners and sleep-burners.

This book has all the components of the Pendergast series which I lo
J.K. Grice
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
The Preston & Child machine roll on with another smash!! ...more
Miloš
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-wish-to-have
Pure 5 stars. As usuall...
fleurette
Jun 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
“Excuse me, Pendergast, but I have to ask: you don’t actually believe that stuff about oanga and zombiis?”
“My dear Vincent, I don’t believe anything. I am not a priest. I deal with evidence and probabilities, not beliefs.”
“Yeah, I know. But I mean, Night of the Living Dead? No way.”
“That is a rather categorical statement.”

For some strange reason that isn't really clear even to me, I have omitted this book in the series. I have read all the books preceding this one in right order and
kartik narayanan
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cemetery Dance is a return to form for Agent Pendergast. It has an intriguing mystery, hints of the macabre and the return of some familiar characters. Surprisingly, for a story set in New York, it is not focused on the Museum of Natural History. And there is no Constance.

The trademark subtle humour returns intertwined with a pretty serious plot. The one negative for me were little changes in Pendergast’s character.

Debbie
Jun 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Wow, I just finished this book and it brought back the feeling I had when I first read Relic and met Agent Pendergast. When I first heard that this book had been released I was a little hesitant as I did not enjoy The Wheel of Darkness as much as some of Preston’s and Childs’ other books. But the first 10 pages will blow your mind! I could not believe how they started off the book and I have to admit I was a little devastated.

That said I felt like after those first few pages you feel like you ha
Karl Marberger
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, suspense
Matt Schiariti
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Let me preface this that I picked up a copy and had it signed by Preston and Child themsevles at the very first stop of their book signing tour at a local Barnes and Noble. If you have an opportunity to go see them, do so! Very personable, open to questions and had a great time talking to the fans, signing the books and answering the questions! They are working on another book and I did ask them if we'll ever see a sequel to Ice Limit (which if you'll recall was mentioned in Still Life with Crow ...more
Margaret
Jul 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
Lena
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
534482-FB-6564-44-A3-B6-CB-359-DED43-B584
Ah, a return to the layered majesty of a good Pendergast novel. A childhood in New Orleans, and his murdered friend, draws Aloysius deep into the voodoo aspects of Lt. D’Agosta’s latest case.

I enjoy that the characters are faulted, that they work hard, that they bleed, and that I know I will have a good ending.

The weak point of the book was Aloysius’ teacher, the voodoo expert. You would think anyone Agent Pendergast calls in as backup would be as knowledgeable as they were deadly. Nope.
Adrienne
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf, fiction
I do, to date, have loved the books of Lincoln and Child. And especially love the Special Agent Pendergast. But the story line was too much for me: voodoo and zombies.
Brooke
May 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009, thriller
Buck
Nov 17, 2009 rated it it was ok
It seems that the longer many of my favorite series go, the more tiresome they become. I'm afraid that Preston and Child's Pendergast series is doing just that.

The plot of this one revolves around a hybrid form of voodoo and a secret town hidden inside a park in the middle of NYC. I won't go into the plot details here because it is irrelevant to my main beef with the work.

Over the years I have enjoyed Pendergast. He always seemed to be something of a modern age Sherlock Holmes. He was at once m
Lobstergirl
Jan 24, 2018 rated it did not like it

Painfully awful. Preston and Child's ploy, I believe in every single novel, is to create some paranormal thing - a monster, demon, apparition, homeschooled child - and then at the end of the novel pretend it was not really paranormal. There is a scientific explanation for everything, and at the end of each tome it unspools from Agent Pendergast's mouth.

Here, it's zombies. Although they aren't satisfied with that spelling, it has to be zombiis. Note, although this seems to be a book about voodoo
Shiva Pillai
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. one heck of a comeback. Very glad that the writers decided to stick to the tried and tested formula of awesomeness. I can't wait to find out what was in that letter that was being delivered to the special agent. Off to the next one...
Julie
May 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
My least favorite of this series. Jumbled. Disjointed. Not enough Pendergast. I completed it because I love the rest of the series so much & thought it was worth persevering. ...more
Kasia
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
By now the authors must think that it’s pretty funny to toy with the reader’s heart, I’m a constant fan when it comes to the Perndergast books but putting the lives of all my favorite characters into some seriously creepy jeopardy is not funny!! I think by page 153 I was making disturbing sounds one night reading on the couch because I was asked what the heck was I reading and if I was all right… yes thanks, just getting my internal organs rearranged… Cemetery Dance is book number nine in the FB ...more
Benjamin Thomas
After the previous disappointing Pendergast novel, The Wheel of Darkness, I had decided to take a break from the series. That one had sort of departed from the rest of the series and didn’t include very many of the supporting characters I had come to know and love. Part of what makes this series special for me are those other characters, many of them almost more of a protagonist than agent Pendergast himself.

Happily, this ninth novel is a very nice return to form. Pendergast seems to have return
Ken Kugler
May 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
“Cemetery Dance” is the latest book in a series that started with Relic. In this latest installment the setting is NYC and the story is centered on Voudou, zombiis, animal rights, greed, as well as the dance that is always played between people in relationships. The relationship between the main characters, which the authors Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child have developed into complex have invested us with deep interest.
The people that populate this series are FBI agent Aloysius Prendergast, Li
Catherine
This story was nutso crazy balls but I loved it!
Shorty
This is my very first Preston/Childs novel, besides Preston's The Monster Of Venice, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I had been told these novels could stand alone, and it did.

Very fast paced, from the first page, it kept my attention to the last one. Was it zombiis? Was it not? Who knew! But with as smart a writing as this book has, I knew it wasn't just another band-wagon genre-based vampires, no... werewolves, no.. novel about the latest Fad in Writing. THANK GOD!!! (I am SO tired of them all,
Abby
Mar 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reporter Bill Smithback has just been attacked by a dead man walking. Leave it to our favorite detectives to solve this mystery. It was really only a matter of time before this series explored the world of zombies and voodoo. However, this one fell a little short for me. The story was less charming than others and I didn't really feel for the characters, though it's always sad when we lose a favorite throughout the series narrative. Hopefully there isn't a trend of bad books with the rest of thi ...more
Michael Adamchuk
Reporter William Smithback is killed and his archaeologist wife Nora Kelly is injured (both were in a previous novel). The assailant is identified by other residents of the Upper West Side apartments as Colin Fearing. Problem is, he was supposedly dead and buried over a week ago. Capt. Laur hayward, Lt. Vincent d'Agosta and Pendergast investigate. They look back on some of Smithback's articles to see if they can identify any possible suspects. They run into more bodies, voodoo and violence and a ...more
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
Mar 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Really enjoyed this. The opening of the story really grabbed my attention. There were some far-fetched, unrealistic elements but also some beautifully described settings. It's the first book I've read in this series but won't be the last :-)
Horror Aficionados : The Cemetery Dance 75 68 Apr 08, 2018 09:41AM

• White Fire (Pendergast): by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child -- Analysis
  • Deep Storm (Jeremy Logan, #1)
  • The Forgotten Room (Jeremy Logan, #4)
  • The Third Gate (Jeremy Logan, #3)
  • Terminal Freeze (Jeremy Logan, #2)
  • Full Wolf Moon (Jeremy Logan, #5)
  • Eye for Eye (Talion, #1)
  • Death Match
  • The pharoah Key
  • Blue Labyrinth: by Preston & Child (Pendergast Series, Book 14) | Summary & Analysis
  • Last Exit to Brooklyn
  • Walk the Wire (Amos Decker #6)
  • Imperial Bedrooms
  • Nine
  • The Elephant Tree
  • Median Gray
  • Seeking Justice (Gateway to Chaos #3)
  • Earthdom (Ether Collapse, #3)
Douglas Preston was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in 1956, and grew up in the deadly boring suburb of Wellesley. Following a distinguished career at a private nursery school--he was almost immediately expelled--he attended public schools and the Cambridge School of Weston. Notable events in his early life included the loss of a fingertip at the age of three to a bicycle; the loss of his two fr ...more

Pendergast (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Relic (Pendergast, #1)
  • Reliquary (Pendergast, #2)
  • The Cabinet of Curiosities (Pendergast, #3)
  • Still Life With Crows (Pendergast, #4)
  • Brimstone (Pendergast, #5; Diogenes, #1)
  • Dance of Death (Pendergast, #6; Diogenes, #2)
  • The Book of the Dead (Pendergast, #7; Diogenes, #3)
  • The Wheel of Darkness (Pendergast, #8)
  • Fever Dream (Pendergast, #10)
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)