Start by marking “Horror 101: The Way Forward” as Want to Read:
Horror 101: The Way Forward

Read Book* *Different edition

Horror 101: The Way Forward

Horror 101: The Way Forward – a comprehensive overview of the Horror fiction genre and career opportunities available to established and aspiring authors.

Have you ever wanted to be a horror writer? Perhaps you have already realized that dream and you’re looking to expand your repertoire. Writing comic books sounds nice, right? Or how about screenplays?
That’s what Horror 10
Kindle Edition
Published April 30th 2014 by Crystal Lake Publishing (first published April 27th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Horror 101, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Horror 101

Paula Cappa
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
In the realm of American literature, the horror genre has traditionally had a second place ranking, so I was pleased to see Horror 101: The Way Forward, because it’s an ambitious attempt to direct horror writers to focus on and develop high standards for storytelling. This is a 400-page journey about horror writing, horror writers, and the business of horror genre. I especially like how Graham Masterton advises writers to “be there” on the page and “take your characters by the hand so that you c ...more
Gregor Xane
May 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
If you can get it on a freebie day, you'll be glad someone collected and compiled these blog posts from various websites for you.

You'll find some helpful nuggets mixed in with some thinly-veiled fits of self-promotion.

The verdict? Not worthless!
Jack
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
There are a lot of essays in this book, and they cover a wide range of topics. A lot of writing books deal with craft or what I would call creative inspiration. They give you technical skills to be a cleaner writer, or they encourage you to sit down and be creative. This books spends just as much time on the other aspects of being a writer that are less talked about. It addresses networking, ghostwriting, rejection, marketing, and a number of other issues that are the sort of dirty little secret ...more
Monique Snyman
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What can I say that’s not been said in the synopsis of Horror 101: The Way Forward? Well, it’s freaking insightful I’ll tell you that much, although I think that’s already been implied. To be honest, I haven’t reviewed anything like it until now, but let me tell you that it’s the type of book that every author should get their hands on.

If you’re in the business of writing horror you probably shouldn’t overlook Horror 101: The Way Forward, especially seeing as it’s a vital reference guide to the
Brandon Petry
Originally I was a bit skeptical of this because the cover seemed a little too cheesy to me but once I started skipping around and reading some of the essays I was delighted with what I found. Writing advice and essays for horror writers that span many different levels from, writer's block and inspiration/advice, to the pro's and con's of self publishing, to how to make the most of social media. This is about not just how to write but also how to be a working writer. Lot's of information that I ...more
Kevin Lucia
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lot of great essay here from leaders in the genre - Ellen Datlow, Jack Ketchum, Ramsey Campbell, Graham Masterson, Ed Lee - and there's something for everyone. No new secrets, but timely and broad. And for this price, a steal.
Wednesday Friday
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a strong collection of essays by writers that horror fans have surely read, and some they may not have. They offer advice and stories from their own experience on a diverse range of topics related to working in horror fiction. These include ways to brand yourself and develop a following, and novel-adjacent gigs like editing, short stories, screenwriting, graphic novels, and more. Some of the stuff was not specific to my situation, but was still enjoyable to read thanks to the wit and ent ...more
Spyder Collins
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great tales of inspiration and style, all worth the cost of admission, all expertly presented. Learn what drives the genres best and what their inspirations are. This is for sure a virtual classroom. This is a once in a lifetime training tool that is simply amazing.
Duncan Ralston
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lots of great advice from established and new writers and publishers. I'm likely to be reading this many times.
Mark Lewis
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There is lot of really great advice in here. Not too mention, quite a bit of humor.
Cory Cline
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As another wannabe horror writer who always appreciates advice from the pros, Crystal Lake Publishing's Horror 101:The Way Forward was hard to resist. Joe Mynhardt has collected a slew of invaluable advice from some of the biggest names in horror as well as some of the new blood that is surely on their way to becoming well respected horror authors.

I am old enough to be of the classic On Writing Horror school, so much of the advice in here is simply hammered home again, but with updated views and
Bryan Alexander
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: gothic
This is a chatty and light introduction to the horror storytelling business.

Horror 101 offers a stack of short, brisk cuts into different parts of the horror corpus, from marketing to networking, illustration to editing to agents to inspiration. The emphasis is on writing, although there are bits on new media and art.

There's a lot of useful advice for people wanting to crack into the field, but none of it is very deep. The book won't carry you far in writing, for example, although it might help
Luke Walker
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Anyone writing horror has to read this book. Without sounding OTT, I found it invaluable.
John Dennehy
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book for almost anyone in the business. A fast pace, well worth the price and time to read it.
John
Jul 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: essays, writing
The information here is very basic, yet the scope of this book is vast enough that I had no trouble finding several topics on which I am a complete ignoramus (namely, anything involving online marketing, social networking, or using my computer for something other than YouTube or Microsoft Word.) Also, on an unrelated note, my spell checker just informed me that I'm an ignoramus at spelling ignoramus...
HORROR 101 is a great place to start if you're a writing novice looking to get some quick tips
Donald Armfield
Although I'm still in process of reading this book. I will be using this for inspiration & research to write my horror novel. I'm currently brainstorming my ideas. This book will help bring out my horror.

This anthology is packed with useful information, and inspiring words from bestselling authors & others in the horror industry. I skimmed through most of the book today @ work and am very pleased to own a copy of this 101 lesson in horror. I am front and center for this class, wait until
Richard Barber
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
this is a fantastic read for anyone interested in writing horror fiction. a great range of articles from did of the best names in the field.
Russell Holbrook
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really like this book. This was the second time I've read it. I'll probably read it once a year. My favorite essay was "The Cheesy Trunk of Terror" by Scott Nicholson. Very inspiring!
Douglas Castagna
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I remember ordering Writer's Digest books once or twice, I still own them, all but the Writer's Market itself is still a valuable addition to any library whether you are a writer or not. This compendium was just like one of those books.

The essays were written by horror writers both classic, and new to the scene. They covered a variety of topics, including, agents, self-publishing, publicity, and the actual craft of writing horror. It is a packed book of priceless facts, anecdotes, advice, and s
Kyla Ward
Dipping into this collection of essays on the craft, practicalities and options of horror writing can hardly but turn up something immediately useful. Short, pithy and varied is the order of the day. Particular favourites were "The Year After Publication" by Rena Mason, "Writing Horror: 12 Tips on Making a Career of It" by Steve Rasnic Tem, and Jim McLeod's guide to submitting your work to reviewers.
Kaye Booth
Horror 101: The Way Forward is based on the sound advice of seasoned professionals that is useful to horror writers in any stage of their careers. I recommend it for anyone who wants to write horror in either fiction or screenwriting.

Read my full, very long review on my blog: https://kayelynnebooth.wordpress.com/...
Thomas Drago
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This collection is a must-have for any horror fan/writer. The essays cover the basics - everything from how to deal with writer's block to expert advice on self-publishing. Some of the best-known writers in the field are represented, including Jack Ketchum and Ramsey Campbell. Well-worth the investment and much-deserving of its Bram Stoker Nomination.
Tonia Harris
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a fantastic resource for any writer, but a virtual goldmine for horror writers/aficionados. It features essays from Indie writers, editors, screenplay writers, and more. They share their knowledge on everything from tips for newbie writers to discourse on today's modern publishing marketplace and the infinite possibilities available.
A.R.
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For the most part, this tome is filled with good ideas by industry professionals on how to make it as a horror author. Personally, I do it because I enjoy it, not for the money. But it would be nice to make a decent wage at it--or is that a delusion of grandeur?
Devin Anderson
Feb 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great advice for the novice and established author alike. Have a highlighter and/or pen ready while reading this little gem, there's plenty to save for later reference.
Jonathan
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lots of great inspiration and advice.
Louisa Heaton
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really great book, with lots of informative essays from established authors and specialists in the horror genre.
Miss Chinaski
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you're just starting out as a horror writer, I highly recommend you buy this book, which will help you avoid many pitfalls on your way forward.
Bryan Nowak
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Writing is a tough gig in many respects. It can take a year or more to bring your work to the point where people can see it. There are times of horrifying depression and moments of incredible highs. However, there is nothing I would rather do than to write novels for my small but growing fan base. So, when a book comes along to help me out with tips and thoughts on the subject of writing in my genera, I tend to listen up. Enter “Horror 101: The Way Forward”, by Crystal Lake Publishing.

Hearing ad
Fredösphere
Another for the life-is-too-short file. This collection of writing advice from a variety of successful authors is simply too high-level and too focused on personal anecdotes to interest me.
Horror Aficionados : Horror 101 Special Paperback Edition 9 35 Jun 15, 2014 12:41AM

• Starve Better: Surviving the Endless Horror of the Writing Life
  • Bullets and Fire
  • The Art and Craft of Writing Historical Fiction
  • The Literary Ladies' Guide to the Writing Life
  • Many Genres, One Craft: Lessons in Writing Popular Fiction
  • The Author Training Manual: Develop Marketable Ideas, Craft Books That Sell, Become the Author Publishers Want, and Self-Publish Effectively
  • How to Write Tales of Horror, Fantasy and Science Fiction
  • The Art and Craft of Storytelling: A Comprehensive Guide to Classic Writing Techniques
  • Starr Creek
  • 99 Ways to Tell a Story: Exercises in Style
  • Thrill Me: Essays on Fiction
  • Best New Horror
  • Is Life Like This?: A Guide to Writing Your First Novel in Six Months
  • The Book of Lists: Horror
Dallas William Mayr , better known by his pen name Jack Ketchum, was an American horror fiction author. He was the recipient of four Bram Stoker Awards and three further nominations. His novels included Off Season, Offspring, and Red, which were adapted to film. In 2011, Ketchum received the World Horror Convention Grand Master Award for outstanding contribution to the horror genre.

A onetime actor
“Fiction should always challenge what you believe in, and make you think hard about what it is to be a human being.” 6 likes
“Reality is strange, exhilarating, and tragic. Sometimes reality is well beyond our understanding.” 5 likes