Start by marking “The Art of the Book of Life” as Want to Read:
The Art of the Book of Life

The Art of the Book of Life

A tale packed with adventure, The Book of Life celebrates the power of friendship and family, and the courage to follow your dreams.

To determine whether the heart of humankind is pure and good, two godlike beings engage in an otherworldly wager during Mexico's annual Day of the Dead celebration. They tether two friends, Manolo and Joaquin, into vying for the heart of the
Published October 14th 2014 by Dark Horse Books (first published September 16th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of the Book of Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of the Book of Life

Start your review of The Art of the Book of Life
Lance
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My friend let me read this at work. Not much of an actual book. Mainly more showing the art and character concepts of the movie, I regret now I did not see this in theaters. I will have to buy it when it comes out on DVD. What a rich and colorful world.
Suzette
I absolutely adore concept art books and this one is just fabulous. I usually don't mark them as read though because I haven't read all the littlee notes. This one is an exception. I sat down just to flip through and look at all the drawings and I ended up reading all the notes and captions. AND WOWZAH! They added so much information about the artistic choices they made and just how much thought went into every color choice, shape, and detail. I absolutely loved reading about all the small ...more
Emmie
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Beautiful! I loved the movie so this book was a great look behind the scenes.
Rose Fante
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful
Nathalie
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Concept Artists in the making, Animation Lovers
I haven't seen this movie yet, but thanks to this book I have clear vision of this movie. From what I've see from trailers, it's true what they wrote: They kept close to their vision with the concept art.

Although I really love Disney and their "Art Of" books, this one was some fresh air for me. The Art is breathtaking and it's nice to see, that most of the pieces have made it into the final movie (while you see in the Disney books a lot a art that hasn't been used and it simply makes you cry -
Emiliano Carrasco
Si no han visto la película "El Libro de la Vida", deberían verla en algún momento del futuro cercano. A pesar de ciertas fallas con la historia, el producto final es una preciosa mezcla de magia visual y amor por el arte, las tradiciones y las historias mexicanas.

Este es el primer libro de arte de cualquier película que leo completo; me pareció muy interesante que fue armado y escrito por gente perteneciente al equipo de animación (director, productor, director de arte) y que esa tarea no fue
Thia Reads A Lot
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: artbooks
The Art of the Book of Life - Jorge R. Gutierrez, Guillermo Del Toro (Foreword)
Rating :
The first artbook I purchased and still one of my favourites.
"The core belief of the [Day of the Dead] is so poetic and simple: as long as we remember those who have passed away, as long as we tell their stories, sing their songs, tell their jokes, cook their favorite meals, THEN they are with us, around us, and in our hearts. The moment we forget them, [...] then they are truly gone." - Introduction

"We
Mo
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Best 'Art of' movie book ever! The illustrations are true to the movie (some of which are worthy of being framed & hung on the wall as art) and the insights reveal hidden gems that make me want to watch the movie again. Plus there is a reason behind every costume, color, and shape which makes the movie that much more enthralling. So much thought and care was put into every detail of this movie, which you can tell by watching it, but this book makes it even more impressive.
Adriana
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
This is everything I look for in an "Art Of" book and so much more.
Not only do we get beautiful reproductions of the art created in the process of making the movie, we also get inside scoops on the why of things and the how of the production.
It's obvious from watching the movie that a lot of love was put into it, and the art book reflects that and expands on the whys and hows of it.
A must read if you like seeing the process an animated movie goes thru and if you liked the movie.
Evan Clark
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is an unabashedly gorgeous book. It's more than concept art, it's the making of a film, with detailed commentary by Gutierrez and his collaborators, giving histories, alternative versions, and stylistic background on characters and locations. I highly recommend this for both film fans and anyone who digs Mexican folk art and its interpretations. Easily in my top 10 art books.
Erika
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
You can feel the love and care that went into every aspect of the movie by the way the creators talk about it and describe their inspiration. Every character, location, and design is deliberate and beautiful. I need to go watch the movie again to really appreciate everything that went into it.
τλιϓλ
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-of-books
I really enjoyed it a lot
full of pictures and information
glad that I bought it ^_^
Stef A.
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Beautiful book!
Sylvia Johnson
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, cinema
The movie filled the screen with so much that it was difficult to take it all in. This gorgeous book allows us to see the beautiful details and the thought that was behind the film's creation.
Lucia
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book it really showed the amazing process of making animated movies. The art was very vivid and beautiful!
Melissa
I read this after watching the movie today. Not much text, mostly sketches, colour scripts, concept art, models, but it simply astounds me, how much work went into the making of this film.
Tegan
Ellie Noire
Nov 20, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Art of Brave
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures (The World of Lore, #1)
  • Minimalismo 2.0: Como simplificar sua vida no século XXI (e diminuir seu impacto no meio ambiente)
  • The World of Lore: Wicked Mortals (The World of Lore, #2)
  • Hiddensee: A Tale of the Once and Future Nutcracker
  • Middlewest, Book One
  • Middlewest, Book Two
  • The Faithful Spy: Dietrich Bonhoeffer and the Plot to Kill Hitler
  • Snoopy: A Beagle of Mars (Peanuts)
  • The World of Lore: Dreadful Places (The World of Lore, #3)
  • In These Words, Volume 3
  • In Other Words
  • Shades of Magic Vol. 2: Night of Knives
  • Malala's Magic Pencil
  • The Strain (The Strain Trilogy, #1)
  • Guillermo del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth