Start by marking “Holistic Tarot: An Integrative Approach to Using Tarot for Personal Growth” as Want to Read:
Holistic Tarot: An Integrative Approach to Using Tarot for Personal Growth

Holistic Tarot: An Integrative Approach to Using Tarot for Personal Growth

Designed for beginning as well as experienced tarot readers, Holistic Tarot offers a fresh and easy-to-follow approach to the use of the tarot deck for tapping into subconscious knowledge and creativity. The tarot deck has been used as a divination tool for more than two centuries; while the tarot is still most commonly thought of as "fortune telling," the true power of th ...more
Published January 6th 2015 by North Atlantic Books

To ask other readers questions about Holistic Tarot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holistic Tarot

Start your review of Holistic Tarot: An Integrative Approach to Using Tarot for Personal Growth
Megan
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When I met Benebell she told me not to buy this book, she told me that as an experienced tarot reader I didn't really need her book. But after spending some time with her and knowing how she teaches I couldn't not buy the book.

Oh my... I'm so glad I didn't listen to her. This is hands down the best Tarot book I've ever read. You really don't need any other book besides this one whether you are a beginner or, like me, are an experienced reader. As I've been reading I've added a handful of ideas f
Anita
Dec 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: tarot
Quotes from the first chapter:

" I do not support fortunetelling and I do not believe in fortunetelling. My approach to tarot is not predictive. It is analytic."

"The Christian Bible warns against seeking out soothsayers for divination.2 Divination here refers to fortune-telling, speaking with certainty about a person’s future, speaking with certainty about the will of the higher powers, and making the presumption that a human could know what the higher powers know. By that definition, I am agains
Elizabeth
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tarot, divination
[4.5 stars] This is a book intended for tarot readers at all levels of experience, beginner to advanced, and it meets that goal. As you'd expect, the bulk of the book covers beginner material, with meaty chapters on basic card meanings and layouts, The latter has good discussion of a variety of spreads, including standards like the Three-Card Spread and the Celtic Cross (of course!), but there is also good coverage of uncommon spreads.

So Wen's book covers the basics, but with almost 900 pages to
Rori
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely the best, most comprehensive tarot book I've ever read--and I've read OODLES of tarot books. If you're anywhere in your tarot journey, you NEED this book--including beginners! If you're just starting out, this book would take you years into your journey.
I purchased the eBook, and have had no problems with it, but I'll likely purchase a print copy as well, because I'm sure I"m to use this book as a reference book over and over.
Pippi Bluestocking
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: phil-psych-spir
A Leviathan.

Approaches the tarot as I do: an elaborate psychological tool for those of imaginative minds.

Packed with information from everywhere and the author's own splendid suggestions.

This book has everything you will ever need.
Tabitha Chamberlain
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
i know this has stunningly great reviews, but my own personal opinion that given the amount of money and the thickness of the book it's lackluster. there's a lot of great information for someone just starting out or for someone restarting their tarot journey, but for those that have been reading for years...meh is the best i can say.

it will give you an interesting new take on a few things. most of it though is simply redundant to the point of boring in other places and yet some are completely p
Gabriel Clarke
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2017
Does it have its longeurs? Yes? Have we all read the tarot meanings chapters before? Yes, probably several times. But the long, analytical, meticulously built and constructed chapter on reading the cards (long enough to be a book in itself) is one of the best things I've read on the mechanics of reading and interpreting Tarot layouts and is the kind of refresher course the most hardened pro could probably pick up or reinvent a few new tricks from. Don't judge by the first couple of hundred pages ...more
Allison
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: occult
"We do not have predetermined fates; rather, we have dispositions. From there we walk a garden of forking paths, and the forks we choose are what determine our future."

"Tarot helps because it brings to our awareness the otherwise repressed impulses in our unconscious that are having an inexplicable effect on our consciousness."
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are so many books out there on Tarot, but this is one every Tarot enthusiast truly needs as a reference. It's so comprehensive that I can honestly say if I had to narrow all of my Tarot books down to just one, this is the one I'd keep.
SongoftheWolf
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
I found this book to be repetitive and contradictory. For such a thick volume, the information contained within was rather sparse compared to other texts of the same nature.
izzy strazzabosco
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
one of the first guides ive actually enjoyed
Kelley
Have you ever read a book and just felt an instant kinship with the author? That was me while reading Holistic Tarot. With some nonfiction books, I am tempted to skip all the introductory content, but I was eating up every single word of this book. This is one of the few books that was just asking for me to break out a pencil and underline passage after passage.

“Tarot is a mirror. It reflects back who you are. It shows you your strengths and weaknesses. It makes you confront the decisions you ha
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Benebell's book is truly comprehensive! I find myself flipping to it before most of my extensive collection of tarot books for her take on a card or reading. She doesn't subscribe to the "reading your fortune" meaning of tarot. Instead, she looks at how to use the tarot for in depth comprehension of your actions and feelings! Really a perfect tarot book as it has a little of everything. I believe I will be flipping to this book for decades to come!
Alejandro Morales
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A huge achievement regarding the study of Tarot. A nice review of most important issues, like meanings of Major and Minor Arcana, spreads, and so much more on a volume of almost a thousand pages. A great reference for every Tarot reader.
Adele
Apr 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Books about tarot are hard for me to read. Mostly because the couple books I've read turn into a book of long descriptions about each card. I'm not as interested in reading about the interpretations of each card as I am in reading about the history of tarot and the methods used. This book was much better than others I've read - I liked how the author went into specifics about tarot rituals. She goes into details about methods of shuffling, spreads, card pulling, and grounding techniques. I didn' ...more
Shōkai Sinclair
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the most comprehensive and versatile book on the tarot that I've come across. Benebell Wen deftly marries a rigorous and thorough scholarship with a unique and impressively intuitive “tarot analytics” approach. It's a great book for both a beginner who's ready to dive in and someone more experienced who's ready to go professional. As a marketer, I was pleased to see the mix of marketing exercises that you can use to bootstrap your business. My only criticisms for this book is that I real ...more
Nicole
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tarot
The beginning of the book didn't really capture my interests. Basic Tarot 101, if you will, and I feel as though I've mostly surpassed that. The card meanings section also didn't resonate with me ENTIRELY, but has some good stuff regardless of my personal preferences. But once you get past those sections the book was FANTASTIC. It includes a little bit of everything and is definately a good sourcebook at jumping off point for more detailed studies. I will be recommending it to others regardless ...more
Elizabeth Cummings
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Benebell Wen possesses a vast knowledge across many subjects. She is proficient with tarot, astrology, numerology, feng-shui, and magick. Adept at summarizing this wisdom into her books, her website is also full of metaphysical information: videos, print-outs, study guides and more. Holistic Tarot is a tome offering a higher level of instruction than most tarot books. I can't say enough good things about Benebell. Did I mention she is a lawyer and has designed and illustrated a tarot deck? The y ...more
Nadia
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-library
Not truly done with this book, but I don't think you really can be, since it seems like more of an encyclopedic reference than a book you just read from start to finish. She offers great advice no matter where you are in your tarot journey, and incorporates nuances from the I Ching, Astrology, and other areas. Lots of charts and tables, which I like. Huge resource. It did read as rather analytical/maybe clinical, but I was fine with it since it offers something new that I've not seen from other ...more
Ashley Rheiner
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a twist of fate this was!! I went in to 78 Degrees of Wisdom expecting to love it and was disappointed by overly wordy and drawn out explanations. I went into Holistic Tarot expecting to hate it because of the author’s “Don’t use this for fortune telling” stance and actually ended up learning quite a bit! Over half of my tarot notebook exists now because of this book. I’d definitely recommend getting this book if you’re really serious about reading tarot, whether for yourself or profes ...more
Christian
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ok, well - this is probably no book you read from cover to cover. As it is the case with most (introductory) books on the subject. In the past month I have, with the help of the downloadable introductory-material on her homepage, taken a further step into my Tarot-studies and am quite impressed by the depth, thoroughness and comprehensiveness Benebell Wen brings to her subject. Easily one of the most detailed Introductions to the topic, highly recommended for the practically inclined.
Rob
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not a book, it is a total encyclopedia. A brilliant book that makes you see Tarot from very different perspectives. i use to read all her material at her site, so, in the very beginning I thought I would read the same things in the book, how wrong I was!
The book is a total compendium that is suited to seasoned readers as much as for novates.
It is well written as all of this author. Really recommended for all levels of Tarot readers.
Amaia
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
THE book to learn tarot. A very rigorous, analytical approach to the history of tarot and hence to the cumulative meaning of tarot symbols and how to decipher them. The star that is missing in my review is, in my opinion, the intuition that cannot be alienated while reading a tarot spread, which is missing in this book. In reality, there is no dichotomy between the scientifically cumulation of meanings in tarot and intuition. When we learn this, we will master this elusive art of divination.
Van
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone studying or working tarot
Recommended to Van by: Gordon White Rune Soup
Shelves: studying
This book is a necessity for studying tarot..
Benebell makes the argument, that tarot is not predictive. It is analytic. Against solely telling fortunes, and instead using cards to determine patterns and potential outcomes, she suggests that the cards are a science of the mind.

Benebell does not get enough acknowledgement in my opinion.
This text lies under my alter at all times. Right next to the tarot deck.
This book is a work of art.
Kim
Sep 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Half of this book is a lot of description of the Rider Waite deck, so if you are into that kind of tarot this would be great. Although I share the same philosophy about tarot as the author, I use the Marseille deck. This book is somewhat useful and nice to have, but after reading reviews I was expecting more, and was disappointed - I am just so over books that just describe the cards. The book is comprehensive though, and even includes a chapter on licensing, so I will keep it in my library.
Andrea
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I started this book over a year ago. I honestly did not finish as it is is more of a reference book. However I wanted to read it to get a feeling of it. I will say this is an excellent source if you are new to tarot or have been around the tarot block for years. I refer to this book all the time. it is well loved and used.
Marius
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely an impressive scholarly work on the Rider Waite Tarot deck. If one book comes close to explaining the Tarot in all it´s facets, this is it. The scope of the book is impressive indeed, the history, symbolism, meaning, spreads, yes you name it it is there. This is a reference book to be sure, a must have, for any serious RWS Tarot reader.
Olive
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you're looking for a practical book on the history and system of tarot, this is it! Being new to tarot, I was initially intimidated by the size and length of this book. It only took a few pages for me to become immersed in Benebell Wen's approach to "tarot analytics" and style of educating the reader. I'll certainly be referring to this book, and re-reading, for years to come.
Kelly Baldwin
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful reference book for experienced and inexperienced tarot readers alike. In fact, it replaced many books in collection that held bits and pieces of what Benebell Wen has painstakingly collected all into one-- albeit quite large --all encompassing tome. If you're a student of the tarot you can't go wrong adding this book to your collection.

• Kitchen Table Tarot: Pull Up a Chair, Shuffle the Cards, and Let's Talk Tarot
  • Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom: A Book of Tarot
  • Modern Tarot: Connecting with Your Higher Self through the Wisdom of the Cards
  • Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners
  • The Tarot: History, Symbolism, and Divination
  • Tarot for Your Self: A Workbook for Personal Transformation
  • The Ultimate Guide to the Rider Waite Tarot
  • A Complete Guide to the Tarot
  • The Druid Craft Tarot
  • The Ultimate Guide to Tarot: A Beginner's Guide to the Cards, Spreads, and Revealing the Mystery of the Tarot
  • Your Tarot Court: Read Any Deck with Confidence
  • The Pictorial Key to the Tarot
  • Mary K. Greer's 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card
  • Witch: Unleashed. Untamed. Unapologetic.
  • Neo Tarot: A Fresh Approach to Self-Care, Healing & Empowerment
  • Everyday Tarot: Unlock Your Inner Wisdom and Manifest Your Future
  • Tarot for Troubled Times: Confront Your Shadow, Heal Your Self  Transform the World
  • The Wild Unknown Tarot Guidebook

News & Interviews

“Fear is dangerous, not the tarot. The tarot represents the spectrum of the human condition, the good, the evil, the light, and the dark. Do not fear the darker aspects of the human condition. Understand them. The tarot is a storybook about life, about the greatness of human accomplishment, and also the ugliness we are each capable of.” 19 likes
“My definition of divination is to see and know yourself with clarity, not see or know the future. Tarot” 2 likes