Start by marking “More Than This” as Want to Read:
More Than This

Read Excerpt

More Than This

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  38,676 ratings  ·  6,106 reviews
A boy drowns, desperate and alone in his final moments. He dies. Then he wakes, naked and bruised and thirsty, but alive. How can this be? And what is this strange deserted place?

As he struggles to understand what is happening, the boy dares to hope. Might this not be the end? Might there be more to this life, or perhaps this afterlife?

From multi-award-winning Patrick Ness
Published May 1st 2014 by Walker Books Ltd (first published September 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about More Than This, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lippes Yes - and even in two ways!
Yes - and even in two ways!
A brilliant and breath taking start - and a disappointing ending where none of the shown concepts are explained or motivated...
I would SO want to have a Matrix-story that can match with the beginning and really tell a satisfying story beginning to end!(less)

karen
this book treated me like a dog treats a ragdoll.
and i have no idea where to begin.

patrick ness has written a game-changer that i'm not even really sure how to approach.

this is a YA novel. i've lost half of you book snobs right there. but i think that is my point. YA has been breaking free of its presumed confines for years. when i was a teen, YA novels were largely disposable, empty-calorie entertainment trifles meant to keep us off the streets, off drugs, and not full of babies. they were e
Regan
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like how I still don't know what happened. And I like how that was the point.
Emily May
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, 2013, sci-fi

Look. Here's the thing. I am not generous with my five star ratings. Five star readings must have shocked me or blown my mind or done something really original or otherwise awesome to get me to throw that final star in their direction. So a four star rating is, for me, really really good. I want you to remember that and realise how good this book is when I say I just expected something more from Ness. Let's make a joke about it: I just expected more than this. Ha. And maybe it's because I'm too
Kai
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, glbt, owned

You should read this.
Because it is beautiful.
Because it is scary.
Because it is mind-blowing.
Because it is nothing like you expect it to be.
Because it is hard not to love Tommy.
Because it is a book like no other.

Find more of my books on Instagram
jessica
Aug 10, 2018 rated it liked it
huh. what an interestingly bizarre story.

ness’ ‘chaos walking’ trilogy is one of my favourite series ever, so i was very eager to finally read some of his other works - but this was not what i was expecting. it was a little strange, a little confusing, but somewhat intriguing.

this rating probably deserves to be higher, but i just dont think i was in the right mindset for something that was so… out there. and i think i need to learn how to set a book aside when that happens and pick it up when
Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩
After reading:

GOD DAMN IT PATRICK NESS. GOD. DAMN. ITTTTTTTT.

Well. I guess it's no secret that I'm obsessed with Patrick Ness's work and I worship the ground he walks on and yada yada. I anticipated this book for a long time and then put off reading it forever because ... I don't know, I guess I was nervous that it wouldn't live up to my expectations.

But I shouldn't have doubted, because this book was fantastic. Very emotional, intense, vivid, and engaging, and with a great cast of characters. T
Maureen
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure what I was expecting that to be, but it was not that....in the best way possible.

I loved the characters and the plot and the world......but I don't really want to say much about them.

I'm of the opinion of most everyone else that you should go in knowing as little as possible about this book!
Lola
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt, science-fiction
What a strange story.

I’d even go as far as to say that it’s weird… and very much of the unbelievable sort. Patrick Ness doesn’t care, though. He likes to confuse the reader. At least twenty times throughout the novel, Seth says he ‘‘remembers’’ and ‘‘understands,’’ when in fact it’s a lie.

Well it is original, that’s indubitable. Seth wakes up in an empty world after drowning. Later on, he finds two other… survivors? Apparently, he woke up from the virtual world he was living in. That’s all I c
Lara
Um...er...huh.

Well.

----------------

Okay, so, I totally don't know what to make of Patrick Ness at this point. I hated The Knife of Never Letting Go (couldn't even finish it), and absolutely loved A Monster Calls. This? Like I said.

I think the concept is pretty interesting up to a point. And I liked the characters up to a point. And the various mysteries kept me interested up to a point. And, okay, the very very end is really good. I get what Ness is saying here (I think?), but I wish this book w
Whitney Atkinson
This is a genius idea for a book. It's hard to talk about because it's great going into without knowing much, but I will say I really enjoyed this. From the gay main character to the addicting premise, it was fabulous. I just found myself not really able to connect to the characters, and the ending was a bit too ambiguous for me. But I highly recommend this!
Lucie
This book will screw with your head.

A boy drowns alone, in a turbulent cold dark ocean, waves smashing him into unforgiving rocks. He succumbs to broken bones, lack of oxygen, and hypothermia.... and dies.

Then he wakes up.
WAIT.
Whaaaaaat?

Seth finds himself naked, dirty, and thirsty, lying on an empty sidewalk. Not another soul in sight. Ummm..... WHERE IS HE? What is this abandoned place? Is he...... DEAD??? What is happening?

This story takes you on a quest to answer those same questions.... What
Matthew

While I try to avoid spoilers in my reviews, my overall impression of this book may this time be a spoiler in itself, so proceed with caution!

This is a fairly mind warping dystopian mystery left open to so much interpretation after 470 pages, it's kind of amazing. I mean, after that many pages you would think you have some pretty good idea about what is going on. But, instead, each page adds more to the mystery.

This book was very easy to be intrigued by. The writing is very good and the trouble
Noelle
Oh, it's Ness review-writing time?

Here's the thing with reviewing Patrick Ness books: I don't want you to read reviews of Patrick Ness books. I want to Panda slap your laptop out of your hand before allowing you to read any details about Patrick Ness books. I want you to skip GO, do not collect $200 dollars and JUST FREAKING READ THEM ALREADY. Save the review browsing for after.

Which might be a bit scandalous to say as a book blogger (goodbye page views!) but: 1) I don't want you to get spoiled
Grace (BURTSBOOKS)
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites
um, hi, no one talks about this and it pisses me off.

Want a book that tackles topics such as suicide, mental illness, sexuality and homophobia in respectful and realistic ways???

Do you also want entertainment, to die for characters, political intrigue and all that sci-fi goodness??

Read this book. Stop what you're doing and read this book. It might have been lost in the surplus of new releases over the past few years but it still rings so true, and I will never not recommend this book to every
Wendy Darling
4.5 stars Terrific blend of I Am Legend + Twilight Zone + The Matrix. I don't love the implied cautionary tale re: technology, but I do love the story structure, characters, and writing. Thomasz has particularly great speech patterns and dialogue, and the story never feels cliche or boring--no small feat when the first 30% consists almost entirely of Seth on his own.

Best read knowing as little about it as possible.
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Nov 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Will M.

I honestly have no idea what to say about the book. To be honest, it was a bit slow and up to more than 250 pages, I was still debating with myself on whether to finish it or not but there is just something about the book which I could not explain that manages to pull me back into it. It’s probably the author’s ability to make the reader ponder on life’s meaning and ambiguities. I guess it’s called "More Than This" for a reason. True to its title, it is going to be more than what you think it
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

Either Jean-Paul Sartre gave me my quota of existentialism for a lifetime (I really do love him, though)
Or My reading slump is worst than I thought.

(unfortunately, I'd say )

I shall come back to More Than This someday.

Everyone has been telling me to read a favorite author's novel when nothing* works. Hey, now, that's not as if I didn't think about it. But, well... Too bad I'm an obsessive reader who needs to read EVERYTHING all at once, let's say. If only I had any Melina Marchetta left. Sig
Spencer
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-favorites

“Real life is only ever just real life. Messy. What it means depends on how you look at it. The only thing you’ve got to do is find a way to live there.”

_________________________________

Actual rating: 4.5 Stars

Patrick Ness has sold me on all of his other books by reading this one. I've read A Monster Calls and immediately after finishing More Than This, I decided to order the Chaos Walking Trilogy. I will buy anything this man writes.

1) The Plot

This book starts off with our main character's,
Trudi

Patrick Ness is a magnificent storyteller and master wordsmith in possession of a vibrant imagination. His Chaos Walking trilogy is tremendously unique and exciting, and his A Monster Calls brought me to my knees with its merciless emotional elegance and purity of Truth.

More Than This shows glimpses of greatness, but never quite reaches that level of soul-satisfying, heart-stopping, mind-melting resolution for me. It's an existential tale of seeking -- the search for meaning, for Truth, for und
Elena
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
WHAT. THE. ACTUAL. F***.

Patrick Ness just outdid himself.
Elise (TheBookishActress)
"People see stories everywhere," Regine says. "That's what my father used to say. We take random events and we put them together in a pattern so we can comfort ourselves with a story, no matter how much it obviously isn't true. We have to lie to ourselves to live. Otherwise, we'd go crazy."

This is a book about hope. More Than This is about existentialism and is stuffed with insane plot twists. Yes, true. But more importantly, this book tells us there's always hope, as long as we hold on, as lo
Leore
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mai
G A M E O V E R

Review Updat: I just noticed that Patrick Ness chose only one design for the cover for all editions and versions, and it doesn't take an FBI agent to divulge the deepest, darkest secrets of the mysterious book cover, and to why Patrick Ness has never changed it.

I feel like I've been severely beaten up by an Arnold Schwarzenegger, I mean, I'm seriously sore all over, and I thought a human being can't have a sore brain, but oh, there's always more to everything.

I've never thought th
shady boots | #WatchPOSE
Patrick Ness? More like Patrick YESSSSSSSSSS.

Man, did this book give my mind a hard fucking. It's the kind of book that, from the very first page, immediately makes you want to know:

A.) What happened,
B.) What is happening, and
C.) What's going to happen.

Of course, those three questions would only be three out of the seven hundred and fifty thousand nine hundred and twenty six other questions you'll have swirling around in your head, and unfortunately only half of that will probably get answered i
Raeleen Lemay
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, lgbtqia, young-adult
THAT WAS DEEP.
Sh3lly (grumpybookgrrrl)

That is how I felt when the book ended.

I've suffered from existential depression on and off basically my whole life. I've spent hours upon hours wondering: what's the purpose of life, why am I here, what am I supposed to do, what else is out there. I truly believe there is so much more going on than we are aware of. I'm a thinker, an analyzer, a worrier... so this book was right up my alley.

I loved the diversity of the characters. The main character is (I'm putting it in a spoiler in case you do
La Coccinelle
Sep 15, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This is the first book by Patrick Ness that I've read. Judging by some of the other one-star reviews on Goodreads written by fans of his other books (particularly the Chaos Walking trilogy), More Than This may not be a very good representation of his work. Unfortunately, it was my first exposure to the author, and it didn't make a very good first impression. In fact, it made an awful one.

The synopsis of this book makes it sound like it might be some sort of philosophically deep psychological thr
Jenny

Okay, first of all, I just want to say that no book should ever end like this. And I mean it. The ending was torture. I know there was a reason behind that ending and I do get it now that I've thought a lot about this book, but still I hated the way the story was left off! Because after completely confusing myself over the logic behind this book and getting confused even more, I expected more than this. (see what I did there?) But since I don't want my review to come off as a rant,( it's not, g
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
3.75*
The writing was fantastic, it kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time trying to figure out what the hell was going on. Honestly it was an incredible book, but not the kind I like to read, thus the slightly low rating.
Lotte
I think Patrick Ness just loves writing about survival. I know this probably sounds weird coming from somebody who’s only read two books by him (The Knife of Never Letting Go and obviously, More Than This), but while these books had completely different plot lines and characters, I couldn’t help but see the similarities. They both had very different, yet very distinct voices and were about people who are fighting to survive in their own way, while also questioning their existence, the meaning of ...more
Do you want a sequel? 20 209 Nov 07, 2018 02:17PM
Around the Year i...: More Than This, by Patrick Ness 19 115 Sep 29, 2018 08:23PM
  • Maggot Moon
  • Hostage Three
  • Teeth
  • Midwinterblood
  • Stray (Stray, #1)
  • Love in the Time of Global Warming (Love in the Time of Global Warming, #1)
  • Friday Brown
  • Reality Boy
  • The Traitor Game
  • Charm & Strange
  • Sex & Violence
  • Inheritance (Adaptation #2)
  • All Our Yesterdays
  • Crash and Burn
Patrick Ness, an award-winning novelist, has written for England’s Radio 4 and Sunday Telegraph and is a literary critic for The Guardian. He has written many books, including the Chaos Walking Trilogy, The Crash of Hennington, Topics About Which I Know Nothing, and A Monster Calls.

He has won numerous awards, including the Guardian Children’s Fiction Prize, the Booktrust Teenage Prize, and the Co
“A book… it’s a world all on its own too. A world made of words, where you live for a while.” 585 likes
“Know yourself and go in swinging.” 316 likes