Start by marking “Lucy's Chance (Red Rock Ranch, #1)” as Want to Read:
Lucy's Chance (Red Rock Ranch, #1)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Lucy's Chance (Red Rock Ranch #1)

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  83 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews

Lucy has never attracted much attention from boys, but she can't seem to ignore her blue-eyed co-worker, Casey Parker. A true cowboy, Lucy is fascinated by his gentle way with the horses at Red
Published April 15th 2014 by Createspace (first published April 13th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Lucy's Chance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucy's Chance

Joyceann
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book the passion Lucy has for Chance is really beautiful. Recommend giving it a read.
G.G.
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this YA story. Sure, the plot is a little predictable but it still gets the job done. If you love horses, it’ll be easy to put yourself in Lucy’s shoes and you’ll want the horse saved. The author captured the emotions that come with it: the horse’s fear of humans and enclosures, the MC’s thrill of slowly overriding them, the doubts of the outcome and the worries for the horse’s future to name just a few. In addition, there’s the young cowboy who wants to help both Lucy and Chance and t ...more
Amy Elizabeth
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Read it all in one sitting as I couldn't put it down. From the first few pages I was sixteen again, reliving those wonderful days when my whole world revolved around horses. Great pace, great characters, and plenty of fun plot twists to keep the story moving. Can't wait for the next book in the series!
Kate Lattey
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fun read with a likeable protagonist and supporting cast. I appreciated that the antagonist was not all bad - as characters in novels so often can be. A good page-turner and enjoyable read that I have added to my list of recommended horsy books.
Donna
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was a little bit choppy in some places, but it was definitely a really fun summer read.

Lucy gets summer job at Red Rock Ranch. She meets Casey, a handsome and kind cowboy. Unfortunately, Taylor Johnson, rich and talented, has her claws in him. When a wild horse comes out of nowhere, Lucy makes it her mission to whip him up into a ranch horse.

Lucy and Casey were pretty sweet characters. Both were hard workers and great people. Both are determined to save the black
NicoleLynn (PopCrunchBoom)
Find this review and more at PopCrunchBoom!

Final Grade: B+
Read Why below:

This read was a true summer beach book. It's a quick read about a sixteen-year-old girl finding her confidence and strengths. Lucy is a lover of horses and excited to be at the ranch for the summer working as a stable-hand. In the beginning she's trying to find her place among the people at the ranch--feeling a little alone and homesick. Until one day while out on a trail ride and a mysterious and dangerous horse appears.
Amie
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have not had the chance to read many western themed pony books so I took the opportunity to provide an honest review in exchange for a digital copy of the book.

Lucy’s Chance features the staples of modern YA equestrian fiction–a summer job with horses, a potential romance, an antagonist who is the complete opposite to the protagonist, and a horse in need of a chance.

The story follows Lucy and Chance as their relationship evolves. While everyone else labels Chance crazy, Lucy is determined to g
Gabs {My Full Bookshelf Reviews}

I received this book via Goodread First Reads. This in no way affects my opinion.

This book was a fun 'summer' kind of read. It's happy, a bit predictable, with cute romance and horses.

I liked Lucy a lot. She was a relatable character; even thought I couldn't relate to some of her life experiences, her emotions were spot on. For example, her boy troubles with Chase. I'm sure a lot of girls will be able to relate to that.

Chance was a very interesting horse. I liked him, but at the same t
Joanie Bruce
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teenagers
This is a wonderful, clean book for anyone crazy about horses and the bond between horse and rider.

From the back cover: Sixteen year old Lucy Rose is spending her first summer away from home and she has two things on her mind: an abandoned, violent horse and a blue-eyed cowboy. Only neither is hers.

Lucy has never attracted much attention from boys, but she can’t seem to ignore her blue-eyed co-worker, Casey Parker. A true cowboy, Lucy becomes enthralled by his gentle way with the horses at the
Nayuleska
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An excellent horse story which made me laugh and get a little teary at time. I smiled on learning it's based in Oregon as I've a friend there, so it was a joy to read about the landscape as I could easily picture her there. Feeling familiar with the setting made me feel a bit familiar with the characters, even though it was the first time I'd met them. Taylor really got on my nerves, especially with how nice she wasn't to Lucy, who could have done with a bit more help on her first few days at t ...more
Mara
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
16-year-old Lucy is working as a stable hand at Red Rock Ranch for the summer, which was definitely her dream job until she's facing down a loose baby steer. Baby cows are not as lovable and cuddly as they initially appear, and Lucy is left to ponder this after the steer knocks her on her butt and pretty cowboy Casey witnesses the whole thing. Welcome to Lucy's summer.

Never has a book successfully yanked me back to the days of Thoroughbred than Brittney Joy's Lucy's Chance. Lucy is a protagonist
Clare O'Beara
This Young Adult book is a tremendous read! Lucy is thrilled to be helping out on a guest ranch when she turns sixteen, and summer stretches ahead of her. Can she cope with getting run over by cattle, and being called the help by a snobby young rodeo queen?

A black horse which is seemingly wild bursts out of the brush on a trail ride and another stablehand, Casey, manages to rope him and tug him down to the ranch buildings. If nobody claims the horse and he can't be trained, the ranch owner will
Tonja Drecker
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for all horse-loving, nature orientated girls out there. From the first page on, the author pulls the reader into a very true to life ranch setting with vivid descriptions and a real ranch feeling.

Sixteen-year-old Lucy is thrilled to have a summer job on the ranch helping out with the animals and guests. Although she's been riding since she was ten, she quickly learns that there's more to ranch life than just riding horses. Not only is Lucy a very believable girl with realist
Hannah
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A real feel good story of a girl and a wild mustang called Chance, that reminded me of the Black Stallion and Alec except in a cowboy environment. The imagery of the Oregon countryside was beautifully depicted and I now want to go have my own cowgirl adventure!

Written for a young teen to YA audience, the book has a sweet love story as a subplot and the final chapters had me gripping my Kindle in suspense. As far as characters go, Chance's personality really stood out and there was a nice paralle
Peggy
Dec 11, 2014 added it
Shelves: horse-books
This YA novel is perfect for the young at heart horse lover. Lucy is 16 and working on a guest ranch as a stablehand, She is the type of girl more interested in spending time in the barn with horses than worrying about clothes or makeup. This summer job is a dream come true. The first day is a little shaky with an unexpected run-in with a steer. But things go smoothly until a seemingly wild black horse appears while on a trail ride. The horse is taken back to the ranch where he captures Lucy’s h ...more
Rachael Eliker
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lucy's Chance (Red Rock Ranch, Book 1) is a charming book that was a delight to read from cover to cover. Centered around horses and Lucy, the girl who loves them, the author thoroughly explores the bond, relationship and trust between horse and rider. Lucy's frustrations and joys are relatable and her crush on Casey is tender yet not smutty. Lucy's journey reminds me a bit of Wild Horse, Wild Ride (a documentary about training mustangs) and while reading the book, made me want to jump on my own ...more
Carly Kade
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED Lucy's Chance. I can't believe how amazingly action packed the first few chapters were. I was instantly hooked on this horse book. Brittney Joy clearly knows the horse world and I enjoyed that the book went behind the scenes of what it would be like to work on a ranch. I felt connected to all the characters and appreciated that horses were just as important to the plot as the people. I galloped right out and bought the second book the minute I finished the first. I can't wait to find out ...more
Laura Wolfe
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this YA horse story. It was a quick read, well-written, and kept me engaged throughout. As a horse-lover myself, I appreciated Lucy's growing attachment to the rescued horse, Chance. While the storyline was a bit predictable at times, it did not prevent me from enjoying the story. This is a clean read that is appropriate for younger YA readers. I look forward to reading the next book in the Red Rock Ranch series.
L.B. Shire
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read for the summer! For all you horse lovers, this book won't disappoint. Lucy, is a lucky young gal who gets to work on a ranch for the summer. I can totally relate with the characters, they were well developed and interesting. There's an wily horse who needs a touch of love, cowboys, a dash of romance, and great adventure in terms of a horse race. I look forward to and hope there will be more adventures at Red Rock Ranch in the future!
Leigh Hutton
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fun horsey read great for the teen and younger reader. Loved the heroine, Lucy, and her gorgeous black gelding, Chance. Loved the action scenes and tender moments between Lucy and Chance in the barn. Would have liked some more description of the ranch and it's buildings and land early on in the book as I've always dreamed of visiting a true American ranch. Also looking forward to learning more about Lucy's background in Joy's subsequent titles. A fun read by a very lovely author :)
Kathleen Marentes
I enjoyed this book very much. As someone who used to work at a horse ranch, this book took me back to those summer days spent with the horses. For those who don't know much about horses, this book is a good read to get a peek into life on a ranch. I have a young daughter that already has an interest in horses, so I think I'll keep this one for her to read when she's older. Can't wait to read the next book in the series to see what else happens during Lucy's summer at Red Rock!
Nicole Moore
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this YA adult book a lot, and can't wait to read the next in the series! Lucy is easy to relate to, and her struggles and worries about working with her horse, Chance, are completely easy to relate to. Brittney's description of the ranch and the mountains had me wanting to leave right now and book a stay at the ranch. I found the book exciting and a fun page turner. Five stars!
Teya Peck
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was such a sweet book. It's targeted at the teenage age but I think it was a sweet story most between a girl and her horse. A descriptive word did confuse slightly however I really enjoyed it my only complaint was it ended. I wanted more especially of the love story that was only briefly touched. Good job!
InD'tale Magazine
“Red Rock Ranch” is a beautiful love story between a girl and a horse.

Read full review in the 2014 March issue of InD’tale Magazine.
Cindy Monk
Kim Hampton
Aug 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I wish the characters had been a little more developed, but for a novella, but the story line was excellent.
Peggy Flores
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
this is a cute book about a girl and the love of her horse. Great read
Brittney
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I hope you enjoy Lucy's adventures as much as I enjoyed writing them!

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Brittney-Joy/e/...
Website: https://brittneyjoybooks.squarespace....
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/brittneyjoyb...
Twitter: https://twitter.com/brittneyjoydov

Happy Reading & Happy Riding!
Brittney
Sarah Fairbairn
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable read filled with wonderful horsey goodness :-) Perfect for any young horse lover. Nice balance of action riding scenes, young love developing and an adorable horse getting a second chance at a better life.
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Blaze of Glory (Blaze of Glory, #1)
  • Wednesday Riders (Island Series, #2)
  • Flying Changes (Clearwater Bay, #1)
  • Quincy and Buck
  • Wild Horses (The Horses of Half Moon Ranch, #1)
  • Popular (Canterwood Crest, #14)
  • The Dressage Chronicles (The Dressage Chronicles, #1)
  • Wind Dancer
  • My Favorite Mistake (The A Circuit, #2)
  • The Horses of Proud Spirit
  • Catch Rider
  • For Love of a Horse (Jinny, #1)
  • Cut and Run (Aspen Eyes, #1)
  • Love and the Punk Rock Grrl (The Punk Rock Grrl, #1)
Website: http://brittneyjoybooks.sqsp.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/brittneyjoyb...
Twitter: https://twitter.com/brittneyjoydov
Amazon Author Page: http://www.amazon.com/Brittney-Joy/e/...

Cowboy boots have always been Brittney's shoe of choice. An animal lover to the core, her parents didn't know what they were signing up for when they put her in a summer horse camp at the age of ten. She
More about Brittney Joy

Red Rock Ranch (2 books)
  • Showdown (Red Rock Ranch #2)

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • Just a Drop of Water
  • One Moment
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
“Lucky for me, all four of his hooves missed my body as they found the ground. I picked my head up, thankful I didn't get stomped, and watched the steer run off along the fence. Mental note: cows are not like horses. Don't let the big brown eyes fool you.” 0 likes
“There the black horse stood - his feet planted firm on the ground, afraid to move. His coat was covered in sweat and a stark white rim lined his eyes. All three of us gawked at his sudden silence. The rattling metal gate was now the only sound.” 0 likes