Start by marking “Emmanuel's Dream: The True Story of Emmanuel Ofosu Yeboah” as Want to Read:
Emmanuel's Dream: The True Story of Emmanuel Ofosu Yeboah

Emmanuel's Dream: The True Story of Emmanuel Ofosu Yeboah

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  1,698 Ratings  ·  373 Reviews
This picture book biography tells the true story of Emmanuel Ofosu Yeboah, who bicycled across Ghana--nearly 400 miles--with only one leg. With that achievement he forever changed how his country treats people with disabilities, and he shows us all that one person is enough to change the world.
Published January 6th 2015 by Schwartz & Wade

Edward Sullivan
Inspiring story about a boy in Ghana considered cursed for being born with a deformed leg who goes on to become an activist for the rights of disabled people.
Conrad Wesselhoeft
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A story of humility and courage written in prose as spare and powerful as the dream itself. Simply astonishing! Go, Emmanuel!
Margo Tanenbaum

This inspiring picture book by author Laurie Ann Thompson tells the moving true story of Emmanuel Ofosu Yeboah, a young man born with a severe disability in rural Ghana who nonetheless bicycled across the entire country, raising awareness for disabled people throughout Africa and around the world.

The book opens with a touching tableau--a beautiful baby boy has been born, but with only one strong leg. We can see the despair in the father's posture and the fear in the mother's eyes as she looks a
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Love these inspiring true stories! Emmanuel showed his country and the world that being disabled doesn't mean being unable to do anything. Imagine--he rode a bicycle across Ghana, with only one leg! I couldn't do it with two! This is a perfect readaloud for a summer Olympics year. Now I've got to dig up the documentary about this man. Highly recommended!
Rachel Watkins
It's important to teach our children that being different is an opportunity. This beautiful picture book does just that. Social justice efforts are incredibly worthwhile and should be an integral part of each person's life. Read this book to show younger generations that anything is possible.
Brenda Kahn
This inspirational picture book biography is simply and beautifully told, enhanced bold, emotional collage illustrations. Author's note includes information about Emmanuel's charity.
Lesley
This book starts off a sad true story but it becomes uplifting amazing story of courage and perseverance!
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
What an inspirational person! This picture book biography of Emmanuel Ofosu Yeboah is nominated for the 2019 Monarch Award, an Illinois K-3 Readers Choice Award. Emmanuel was born with one leg that didn't work as it should, but that didn't stop him. In fact, it made him try even harder. After he became too heavy for his Mom to carry to school, he hopped there (two miles) on one leg! Read this book to learn about more of the amazing accomplishments of this amazing young man.

Reviewed by Lisa Colem
Ricki
Dec 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Emmanuel's Dream is an inspirational story about a boy who refuses to be overcome by his disability. Others tell him he should just become a beggar, but he is determined to be the best he can be. The illustrations are absolutely beautiful, and the story flows well. Students will find hope and strength in Emmanuel's strong, resilient spirit.
Joyce Yattoni
#bookaday What a wonderful true story of Emmanuel Ofosu Yeboah born with a disfigured leg in Ghana. At the time of his birth some people believed it was a curse. This is a story about perseverance and the belief that YOU can change the world. Eventually, his political activism helped to pass the Person's with Disabilities Act.

Great story for growth mindset lesson, Genius Hour.
Mississippi Library Commission
Beautiful true story about one man who didn't give up, no matter the odds. Loved the text, loved the illustrations, loved the story--picture book trifecta.
Lizzie
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspirational, africa
This book will make everyone do this:

description
Dani Kraft
This book is amazing! It gives a REAL LIFE example of children having to deal with struggles in their life. Emmanuel is a strong boy who can do more than even I! He loses his mother and is forced to take care of his entire family. He does this and more! Emmanuel is an inspiration for all. Even some adults couldn't do what Emmanuel did!

Emmanuel’s Dream//Laurie Ann Thompson

I will have all of the children again sit down on the rug. I then will ask them this question “Who here knows what they would
Ms. Cofield
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
Emmanuel's Dream is a beautifully written and illustrated picture book biography for K-5 students. This book can spark conversations in any elementary classroom about perseverance, especially because Emmanuel, the man the biography is written about, experienced triumph in more ways than one in his lifetime.

This book is a WOW for me because of how the author details his life to us and makes Emmanuel out to be a true hero and a man of distinguish. The sacrifices he made for those he loved is honor
Autumn Fields
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Emmanuel's Dream by Laurie Ann Thompson is a remarkable bibliographical book about Emmanuel Ofosu Yeboah's life as he overcomes living life with a deformed leg. Emmanuel was born in Ghana, West Africa and raised by his mother. When Emmaneul's peers doubted his abilities with a deformed leg, his mother reminded him to follow his dreams. Emmanuel conquers many inspiring adventures as a child, and especially as a teenager and adult. Emmanuel's displays a powerful and is sure to encourage everyone t ...more
Bookishrealm
This book was beautiful and inspiring and the artwork was to die for. I had no idea that this was based on the true story of Emmanuel Ofosu Yeboah. It was interesting to learn how other countries treat those individuals that are differently-abled. Most are forced to beg for anything that they want. It was heartbreaking to see and understand that reality; however, it was rewarding to see a individual that refused to let him being differently-abled define what he could and could not do. I'll defin ...more
Amanda Pershke
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: elm-335
This is a biography about Emmanuel Ofosu Yeboah who is born in Ghana with only one leg. He pushed through his disability to follow his dream of biking around his country and succeeded. He inspired other people with disabilities along the way to go after their goals and dreams despite the prejudices of others. I would use this in the classroom as a way to teach about historical figures and teaching students that they can follow their dreams despite the difficulties they may face. Students need to ...more
Sophie
Emmanuel's story is really inspiring, but unfortunately this book was too short to be more than a summary: 'he didn't accept that disabled people should be treated differently, so he cycled around the country'. I understand it is a picture book and they aren't very long, but I could definitely see myself being left hungry if I had read that as a kid.
Juli Anna
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
An inspiring story told in bright prose with charming illustrations. This should be in every library and on every household's bookshelf.
Tamra
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Emmanuel is inspiring for young & old. “In this world, we are not perfect. We can only do our best.”
Jody Ruff
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Emmanuel was born in Ghana with the name that meant " God is with Us"! A child living with disabilities, and learned how to do things on his own. His mother got ill and went and worked many miles away. He got a job, place to live and then sent money home to his family. He never gave up! His momma died and gave him the advice of never beg but work hard.
Sara Cook
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring picture book biography of Emmanuel, born with one good leg, and the tremendous life he made for himself. Shared it with 6th and 7th graders who were inspired by the story of triumph.
Melissa White
Oct 17, 2016 rated it liked it
"In this world we are not perfect, we can only do our best."
- Emmanuel Ofosu Yebaoh
I had never heard of Emmanuel Ofosu Yeboah until seeing this book in the library! I thought it sounded amazing and was really interested to see how a man with technically only one leg could bike so far. The story is a simple, illustrated biography about Emmanuel's childhood and inspiration to bike 400 miles across Ghana to help other people with disabilities.

This story is exciting and kid friendly even though it
Tasha
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Emmanuel was born in Ghana, West Africa, with a deformed leg. His father left the family but his mother continued to encourage Emmanuel to make something of himself. Emmanuel taught himself to crawl and hop, so he was able to hop the two miles to school and then hop all the way back home at the end of the day. At school kids would not play with him at first, so he saved up his money to buy a new soccer ball that he shared with the others as long as they let him play too. Soon he was playing socc ...more
Garrett Reimers
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I chose this book as my multicultural book because it talks about the challenges of growing up with only one leg. It talks about how his father left because of it. It mentions that other people scorned him when he came into a store because they thought he was begging. Then he also had to hop two miles each way to school each day. He was only able to go to school because his mother carried him at first. It mentioned that many kids with disabilities didn't go to school. Many people would also not ...more
Teresa Scherping Moulton
When Emmanuel was born with only one strong leg, many people in Ghana thought that his life would be very limited and maybe even cursed. People with disabilities in Ghana, at that time, had very few rights and resources. But Emmanuel was determined to change all of that. He went to school, even though almost no one expected a disabled boy to do so. He went to find a real job working in a food stand in the city, even though most people thought he would only be good for begging on the street. And ...more
Joan
This was a lovely book about a young man whose mother believed in him and encouraged him to do more for himself and not to ever ever beg. In Africa, disabled people are pretty much considered to be good for nothing but begging. Emmanuel, who was born with one leg that didn't work (details not given since it was meant for the youngest crowd) learned how to ride a bike with the help of a friend. Emmanuel hopped on one leg to and from school after his mother said he was too heavy for her to hold an ...more
Abby Johnson
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is an inspiring story about a child who learned to cope with a disability in a place where there were very few resources available to him. The text succinctly explains that in Ghana many people thought that people with disabilities couldn't do anything or might even be cursed. Emmanuel went on to become an athlete and an advocate for people with disabilities, helping to make changes in Ghana that made life better for people with disabilities.

Expressive art shows emotion throughout Emmanuel
Disa
The true story of Emmanuel Ofosu Yeboah's inspiring struggle with adversity.

Emmanuel was born in Ghana, West Africa, with one deformed leg. His father left him and his mother in disgrace, and most people looked down on Emmanuel. As a boy, Emmanuel hopped to school more than two miles each way, learned to play soccer, left home at age thirteen to provide for his family, and, eventually, became a cyclist. He never gave up on his dreams only because of his mother's wise words and push in life. She
Linda
Finally I found this book and got to enjoy it as so many others have shared its joy. An inspiration throughout, starting with Emmanuel’s mother, who wouldn’t give up her son just because he was born without the use of one leg. She insisted that he figure out how to do things to help, like carry water, and he did. No one would play with him, so he saved his money and bought a soccer ball, said he was to be allowed to play if anyone else wanted to use the ball. He played! Emmanuel may have been bo ...more
Robert-#1-Emmanuel's Dream-Disability 1 1 Jun 16, 2018 11:07AM
  • Little Melba and Her Big Trombone
  • Trombone Shorty
  • Wangari Maathai: The Woman Who Planted Millions of Trees
  • The Case for Loving: The Fight for Interracial Marriage
  • A Boy and a Jaguar
  • Voice of Freedom: Fannie Lou Hamer
  • Funny Bones: Posada and His Day of the Dead Calaveras
  • Growing Up Pedro: How the Martinez Brothers Made It from the Dominican Republic All the Way to the Major Leagues
  • Grandfather Gandhi
  • Poet: The Remarkable Story of George Moses Horton
  • Star Stuff: Carl Sagan and the Mysteries of the Cosmos
  • Tricky Vic: The Impossibly True Story of the Man Who Sold the Eiffel Tower
  • Gingerbread for Liberty!: How a German Baker Helped Win the American Revolution
  • Malala, a Brave Girl from Pakistan/Iqbal, a Brave Boy from Pakistan: Two Stories of Bravery
  • The House That Jane Built: A Story about Jane Addams
  • The Amazing Age of John Roy Lynch
  • Drum Dream Girl: How One Girl's Courage Changed Music
  • A Splash of Red: The Life and Art of Horace Pippin
Laurie writes for children of all ages. She is dedicated to inspiring and empowering young readers through nonfiction and fiction that educates as well as entertains.
More about Laurie Ann Thompson
“In this world, we are not perfect. We can only do our best.” —Emmanuel Ofosu Yeboah” 1 likes