Start by marking “The Bear Ate Your Sandwich” as Want to Read:
The Bear Ate Your Sandwich

The Bear Ate Your Sandwich

Bear meets sandwich, adventure ensues. . . . A sly classic-in-the-making for fans of Jon Klassen, Peter Brown, and Mo Willems.

By now I think you know what happened to your sandwich.
But you may not know how it happened.
So let me tell you.
It all started with the bear . . .

So begins Julia Sarcone-Roach’s delicious tale of a bear, lost in the city, who happens upon an una
Published January 6th 2015 by Alfred A. Knopf

To ask other readers questions about The Bear Ate Your Sandwich, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bear Ate Your Sandwich

Start your review of The Bear Ate Your Sandwich
Matt
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a curious story about a bear and a missing sandwich. Told by a narrator who wishes to explain how one bear got from the forest into the city and eventually meandered along, finding an untended sandwich, things get quite detailed. Surely this bear was amazed by the city life and especially to find such an appetising sandwich waiting for him. As the reader discovers by the end, the narrator is the most unlikely character who may not be able to convey the tale effectively. Neo liked the sto ...more
Lisa Vegan
Okay, this book is absolutely adorable. It’s great fun and I would recommend it to children, for independent readers and reading aloud to groups and one to one.

I admit that throughout the story I was very concerned for the bear because things don’t go well for bears when they’re in close proximity to human habitats.

But I loved the twist ending, and even before it, I was softly chuckling to myself on many pages.

The best thing about this book is its illustrations. The pictures are lush and beauti
Calista
I read at the beginning of the year her new book, Julia, about bear and it was so dang funny. I tried to get it on the goodreads choice awards but there weren’t enough votes for that. Shame. I got this hoping for more of that same sense of humor. This book came out first.

This book is funny and smart, but the one from the 1st of the year was so much better. In this story, bear makes his way into the city and finds plenty to amuse him. I love when the lady is feeding pigeons and she calls bear a p
Erica
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: karen
This is ADORABLE and I love it.

Recommended for anyone with frustratingly rotten pets or children who try to wheedle their way out of trouble on a regular basis. You'll totally understand this tale of a bear who left the woods, entered the city, and ate your sandwich. At least, most of your sandwich. Scout's honor!

I recommend this to karen, in particular, and here is why:
-It's like a beArIFaF!
-There is a run-in with a yuckoon.
-Pictures like this
 photo P1220605_zps1fifuavd.jpg
and this
 photo P1220606_zpsfsotmo0o.jpg
-Someone needs to recommend these ki
Donalyn
Unreliable narrator for the win.

5 stars from Emma.
Dorine
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who love beautifully bright illustrations in their children's stories
This is an adorable short book that might just ignite the imagination of your little one. I bought it on sale at the bookstore because I fell in love with the illustrations. They're done with acrylic paint and pencil, which is evident with the bright impressionism technique. I'm a huge fan of this style of painting so I enjoyed the illustrations more than the story. But, the story has a cute twist that could generate some good discussion with your child.

I'm anxious to see what my grandchildren t
Edward Sullivan
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Clever. Never trust a dog.
Julie
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Yesterday, I placed this book on hold at the Library & it was ready for pick up when I arrived for work. The bear's expressive face as he eyes the sandwich on the cover truly draws you in. Sure enough, the other ladies in my office saw it laying on my desk & were curious, so, I said they could each take a turn with it but I was taking it home with me at the end if the day! One is a grandma already and the other in a grandma-in-waiting. They loved it! As do I. The story is enchanting, and the ill ...more
Lily
Jan 12, 2016 marked it as to-read
I want to read this because that bear looks like my dog.
Abigail
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone Who Enjoys Humorous Picture-Books Featuring Unreliable Narrators
After eating all of the berries in a truck and then falling asleep inside, a bear inadvertently finds himself travelling to the city (or does he?) in this delightfully humorous tale from Julia Sarcone-Roach. Once there, the bear explores the many climbing opportunities, interesting smells, and strange 'trees.' He finds new kinds of fun when he reaches a park, and then he stumbled upon a delicious-looking sandwich... Unable to resist, he gobbles it up before fleeing, eventually finding his way ho ...more
Mischenko
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Bear Ate Your Sandwich is a super colorful and cute story about a bear who is accidentally transported into the city. As he searches for food he finds happiness after discovering a beautiful and delicious sandwich. The story is left to be told by the the witnesses who catch him in the act.

It's a super simple read for young readers and the illustrations are very vibrant. Great for schools and home.

4****
Tasha
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This picture book tells the story of exactly what happened to your sandwich. See, it started with the bear. He was having a great warm, bright morning when he smelled berries. He found a pickup truck filled with berries, which he munched and then fell fast asleep in the back of the truck. When he woke up, he was riding towards a huge city. Now he was in a new forest, but a very different one. He climbed, he scratched, he squished his toes in mud, he investigated. He found a park and that is wher ...more
Jason
Feb 24, 2015 rated it liked it
I GET IT, IT WASN'T THE BEAR
Rossy
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Sweet, witty, adorable!
The bear ate your sandwich, didn't he???
Great twist, unreliable narrator <3
Evie
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"By now I think you know what happened to your
sandwich. But you may not know how it happened.
So let me tell you.

It all started with the bear."

The sandwich is gone. Do you want to know what happened to it? A bear ate it! Yes, that's right. A bear that stumbled across a truck full of berries, who then ate the berries and fell asleep in the back of the truck. That is how the bear traveled to the city, where he happen to come across your sandwich, out there, in the open, lying on a bench, completely
Barb Middleton
I've read this book to 14 classes and I'm not sick of it. That's always a good sign of a winner. I love the imagery and irony created between the text and the words. Not to mention the gorgeous illustrations. The bear falls asleep after eating the berries in a truck that transports him like a "leaf in a river" to a place with "high cliffs." The image of a red truck on a highway that looks like the current of a river and skyscrapers that are cliffs is beautiful. The bear likes the itchy trees (li ...more
Adrienne Pettinelli
I keep rereading this because it makes me laugh so hard. I love the bright colors and brushstrokes in the art, and the bear is so wonderfully expressive. I love the way he tries to dance his way around the cats in the "But some of the tastiest ones had already been found" spread, and his eyes peeking through the bench in "There it was. Your beautiful and delicious sandwich. All alone." is just so funny.
Cheryl
Jun 02, 2016 rated it liked it
I can definitely see the appeal. I love the 'surprise' ending, which is the premise (justification?) for all that went before. But the text is just a little long, and the pictures a little blurry/ impressionistic/ insufficiently clear to me to be able to see the details that I wanted to see. So, my opinion, 2.5 stars, recommended only if you actually are interested and can get it at your library.
Pamela
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wildly imaginative children's story with an unexpected, tail-wagging-good twist at the end. I enjoyed it. The bright and whimsically realistic artwork assures my Four Star rating. A discussion about honesty is warranted, however, at book's end.
Benji Martin
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I originally had this listed as a four star, but after reading it to some kids, I had to change it to five. I love the discussion that it has generated.
Aliza Werner
Great mentor text for perspective and narrative! The unreliable narrator provides a laugh out loud twist at the end.
Kristen Dutkiewicz
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Cute premise about what happened to your sandwich that had been there just a minute ago...
Margie
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-a-day
When you are the oldest child in the family, blame for seemingly everything lands squarely on your shoulders. It's obvious you can't point the finger at a younger sibling when the mishap in question involves writing or reading and they can't do either yet. (In one of my not-the-sharpest-tack-in-the-box moments, I tried this very thing.) When it comes to the disappearance of all the chocolate chips from the package it's an entirely different story. Anyone can accomplish this feat, even if they ar ...more
Lara
I get a kick out of this one. I just hear the narrator's voice being so matter of fact, "yup yup, that's what happened!" and it just makes me smile. The illustrations are lovely, with lots of little details showing what the bear's getting up to in the 'new forest.' His facial expressions, especially the eyes, are too cute.

Read this one for a storytime on bears and would certainly read it again. The kids liked the ending as much as I did. Would make for a fun one-on-one read as well.

Thinking abou
Christina Mallory
Text-To-Teaching Connection

The response activity for this book could be a creative collage. Students would be given a brown paper bag that references a lunch bag. The students will have the opportunity to cut pictures from magazines that would represent sandwiches and other lunch items that they can choose from. It would be a good activity for students to express the different ideas that they think lunch represents to them. If a students wants to be even more creative they could apply items that
Luisa Knight
Aug 13, 2018 rated it liked it
But did the bear really eat the sandwich?? A fun and clever little story.

Ages: 4 - 8

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it! Visit my website: The Book Radar.
Penny Ramirez
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was gorgeous and had me laughing out loud at the end. Can't wait to share it with the kiddos!

The beautifully smudgy, colorful, dreamy art pulled me in from the beginning. and as my (19-year-old) niece pointed out, the sandwiches on the front end papers are amazing, and made us both hungry!
Jenny
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
What happened to your sandwich? Well, it may be hard to believe but a bear found his way from the forest to the city, wandered into the park and ate your sandwich then headed back to the forest.

The illustrations make this really fun and adorable. And so many city people don't even notice the bear right in front of them.
Mississippi Library Commission
Julia Sarcone-Roach did a beautiful job with The Bear Ate Your Sandwich. Bright, deftly drawn illustrations make it pop, while its meandering story line sucks its readers in. Silly and lovely at the same time, this one will make a great read aloud. Highly recommended.
Bookishrealm
This was a cute picture book. I enjoyed the artwork and the overall story. This is a good one for any children that are interested in books about bears. It's also a great read aloud.
min lesson on prediction 1 2 Sep 02, 2017 03:44PM
min lesson on prediction 1 1 Sep 02, 2017 03:23PM

• Giraffe Problems
  • Miss Maple's Seeds
  • Can I Be Your Dog?
  • There's a Dragon in Your Book
  • Mother Bruce (Mother Bruce, Book 1)
  • The Word Collector
  • Crunch, the Shy Dinosaur
  • Library Lion
  • Poor Little Guy
  • Saturday
  • Snappsy the Alligator (Did Not Ask to Be in This Book)
  • Llama Llama Loves to Read
  • Clark the Shark
Julia Sarcone-Roach's animated short Call of the Wild has shown at numerous film festivals around the world. She attended the Rhode Island School of Design. This is her first book. Julia Sarcone-Roach lives in Brooklyn, New York.