Start by marking “Murder of a Smart Cookie (A Scumble River Mystery, #7)” as Want to Read:
Murder of a Smart Cookie (A Scumble River Mystery, #7)

Murder of a Smart Cookie (A Scumble River Mystery #7)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  1,068 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Yard sales can bring out the worst in people. So when Scumble River school psychologist Skye Denison organizes a 100-mile yard sale, otherwise neighborly folk get downright nasty: her own mother creams a woman, and a battle of the sexes breaks out. But when her former boss is found murdered, nobody knows for sure how this cookie will crumble.
Published July 5th 2005 by Signet (first published July 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Murder of a Smart Cookie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder of a Smart Cookie

Julie P
Jan 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Good book, and interesting plot development. I'm liking the Skye Denison mysteries more with every one that I read. Some of the quips are very clever, and I feel that Denise Swanson is getting more comfortable with her writing. I'm anxious to read the next one which should be right away since I'm chain-reading this mystery series.
Sheri
Feb 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Murder of a Smart Cookie (Scumble River Mystery , #6)Denise Swanson

I do admit I like these books. They may be a bit on the "cheesy" side, but I love a light who-dun-it.

Skye takes a summer job, only to find her boss murdered. Not only is she investigating this crime, but (she) becomes a suspect as well. It did not help that her mother was in a heated argument over her flaky (or not so flaky) pie crust. Add her mother and fathers little "spat" her uninvited house guest, causing her to have to sta
Anastasia
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible
Murder of a Smart Cookie by Denise Swanson is the 7th book in A Scumble River Mystery series. Skye is hired by her uncle to co-ordinate the biggest yard sale and antique fair for Scumble River, attracting collectors from all over the country. The local antique dealer is found murdered and it is up to Skye to prevent this from ruining the fair. Another great addition to the series. I love catching up with all the characters and can't wait for the next installment.
Michele
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
This one takes place in the summer, so Skye doesn't have as much of the chaos of her public school psychologist job as in the other books, but her uncle and an annoying TV diva make up for it in spades!
Cynthia
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the book. Scumble River always brings in new characters and murders. Skye is caught between 2 male friends who want to be her boyfriend, live is always changing.
anonymae anonymae
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this series to learn how certain writing errors effect a readers experience of a story's narrative. I also read this series to learn about creative similes.
Vicky
Sep 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
Oh my god! I haven't even begun chapter one....the author's note put me in a tizzy already. She felt she had to EXPLAIN a timeline so the characters don't age as her readers do? Unbelievable. Ms. Swanson is apparently writing for a much younger than adult age group. Perhaps her to have been a school psychologist for 20 years has interfered with her ability to relate to adults as adults. She is not clever. She truly fantasizes that she is Skye, (as authors often do with the main character) but in ...more
Wanda
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Skye's uncle is the mayor of Scrumble River and decides to hold a 100 mile long yard sale to perk up business and interest in the town. Skye gets the job as coordinator after getting fired from a job in an antique store. After the start of the sale the owner of the antique store is found dead at Skye's family yard sale booth. It is in the county not the city jurisdiction so the county Sheriff is in control of the investigation and is not very good and doesn't like Skye.
She is busy making sure al
Shirley Worley
Dec 24, 2013 rated it liked it
After getting fired from her job, Skye takes over as city coordinator for the area's largest garage sale that covers over a hundred miles and lasts for nine days. Whew! In between passing inspections and keeping a hoity-toity television celebrity reigned in, Skye must also keep the peace between her feuding parents. When her former boss ends up murdered, Skye becomes a suspect by the local sheriff. When a favorite local octogenarian is found with a sword in her chest, Skye uses her psychology b ...more
Jenn
Jun 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
I picked up the latest in this series at Target a while ago, not realizing that it was part of a series. I liked it well enough to seek out some others. The library had a few. Not the first one, of course, but since I'd read the last one, I didn't figure it would matter so much. You can tell the main character, Skye, had changed a lot between this book and the most current one. There were a LOT of characters in this book and it was really hard to keep track of them. Skye was seriously scattered ...more
Kristi Lamont
Oct 27, 2016 rated it liked it
I just almost gave this one 2.5 stars because all of the mess about Skye's parents and friends having troubles on the romance front just didn't ring very true. Nor did I quite buy in to how things were changing in that realm for our heroine. So far this series has been fairly true to life in terms of how real people interact with each other, except, weirdly, when it comes to the main character's love life, past and present. Also? Do people in "America's Heartland" really consider it drinking too ...more
Jodi
Nov 29, 2009 rated it liked it
Skye Denison reluctantly takes on the role of coordinating the Route 66 yard sale for Scumble River. She only does this because she was fired from her last job, working for a fairly unscrupulous antiques dealer, and she needs the money. It's a thankless task and begins with the murder of her former boss. The Sheriff doesn't want Skye anywhere near his investigation but since he's not the hottest french fry in the box, he clearly won't get anywhere without her help. Scumble River is full of quirk ...more
Georgiann Hennelly
May 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
I like these books. its kind of like a soap opera.When Skye Denison, takes the job as organizer of the first annual route 66 yard sale. She discovers yard sales bring out the worst in people. Her mom gets into a food fight with a women because the women insulted her pies.Than a battle of the sexes breaks out, among her parents , best friends , and students. Skye knows things have gotten out of hand. But the worst is yet to come. Skyes former summer job boss Cookie Caldwell is murdered. And the s ...more
Lindsey
May 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
Not much has changed for Skye Denison.

Can we talk about the fact that she was fired from a job, FIRED, and she still doesn't think that its a big deal. (Even though she was somewhat in the right about what she did). She, as a character, is so high on herself that she can do anything and think that she doesn't deserve any consequences. She's told not to investigate murders but she's going to do it anyway, because they're just going to screw it up. And you're supposed to like her, and identify her
Diana Gotsch
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I wonder why some writers can make the standard cozy plots work and others can't. This series contains many of the cozy standbys. Small town filled with quirky residents. An intelligent female main character with even quirkier relatives who is always finding murder victims. And of coarse, the dreaded love triangle. Some how it all seems to come across a fresh in this one. Even the business with the killer revealing all at the end has enough of a twist that it doesn't irritate. The gentle social ...more
Cindy
The Scumble River Mystery series is a fun series to read. The books are pretty short and they are fast and funny reads. School psychologist Skye Denison gets into all kinds of trouble when she plays around as an amateur investigator in each book. The mysteries are full of twists, turns and surprises and there are always plenty of suspects to choose from. I almost never know for sure whodunit until fairly close to the end. The whole series makes for excellent pool or beach reads for the summer.
Becca
May 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Jo-Ann Murphy
I really didn't like any of the characters. When it began with an assault and someone who's mother is a police dispatcher and a love interest who is a policeman does not call the police or press charges but cowers in her car and none of these police professionals at least bring up the illegality of assault on an employee, it is not a good book.
Ronda
Mar 13, 2016 added it
Shelves: mystery, humorous
Am part way through and enjoying the story (love seeing what the Dooziers come up with next), but the eBook version is FULL of typos. Lots of "mat" when it should be "that.". I enjoyed this installment in spite of the typos (and there were a LOT of typos!). Fun getting to see a different side of some of the family. Nice being outside the school year setting.
Gramy
You can't go wrong with this cozy mystery series.

The Scumble River child psychologist compels you to read more about this quaint little town and its quirky characters.

Kudos to the author for allowing each book to stand on its own. That is a very important point when I choose a series.

It was light and entertaining. Would recommend!
Gramy
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
You can't go wrong with this cozy mystery series.

Kudos to the author for allowing each book to stand on its own. Plus, it is clean and wholesom! That is a very important point when I choose a series.

It was light and entertaining. Would recommend!
Amber
Dec 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is such a light, feel-good mystery series despite the murders. And I have to wonder how such a small town can have so many murders in a short time over the course of the series, but I can't get enough of it.
Sheri
Sep 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
I liked reading this book because it went fast and the story was fun surrounding the annual Route 66 Yard Sale. It was fun to read and no sex, some violence(there was a murder or two) and lots of fun. The sleuth is a high school psychologist. So it was fun to read.
Karen
Feb 06, 2010 rated it liked it
3.75/5 Didn't enjoy this first part of this, but it picked up later on. Weakest of those I have read so far.
Ruth Turner
Apr 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I think Skye is having relationship problems again. Getting shot solved everyone elses relationship problems.
Katie Taylor
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Betsy
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
I thought this book was going to be like the Hannah Swensen mysteries, but it wasn't as good. The characters just weren't that interesting.
Shannon
Dec 15, 2009 rated it liked it
well...now I have to read the next book!!! The way this one ends makes it that way...It was okay I am really kind of sick of the series but have to find out what happens...
Kandace Durbin
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
what a twist!
Michele
Apr 14, 2010 rated it liked it
This was not my favorite of the Scumble River series. Although the ending has me wondering what direction the author will be taking with Skye and her relationships.
  • Drop-Dead Blonde
  • A Rose from the Dead (A Flower Shop Mysteries, #6)
  • Dying to Call You (Dead-End Job Mystery, #3)
  • Dangerous Alterations (A Southern Sewing Circle, #5)
  • The Pumpkin Muffin Murder (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #5)
  • Tippy Toe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #2)
  • Bound for Murder (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #3)
  • Rotten to the Core (Orchard, #2)
  • Cut to the Corpse (A Decoupage Mystery, #2)
Denise Swanson lives in rural Illinois with her husband, classical composer David Stybr.

After 22 years as a practicing school psychologist, she's happiest sitting in her scree porch reading. However, when the weather turns too cold, she's willing to leave the Midwest to cruise the sunny Caribbean.

Denise is an animal lover, but her home is currently furless, since her kitty of 20 years passed awa
More about Denise Swanson...

A Scumble River Mystery (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Murder of a Small-Town Honey (A Scumble River Mystery, #1)
  • Murder of a Sweet Old Lady (A Scumble River Mystery, #2)
  • Murder of a Sleeping Beauty (A Scumble River Mystery, #3)
  • Murder of a Snake in the Grass (A Scumble River Mystery, #4)
  • Murder of a Barbie and Ken (A Scumble River Mystery, #5)
  • Murder of a Pink Elephant (A Scumble River Mystery, #6)
  • Murder of a Real Bad Boy (A Scumble River Mystery, #8)
  • Murder of a Botoxed Blonde (A Scumble River Mystery, #9)
  • Murder of a Chocolate-Covered Cherry (A Scumble River Mystery, #10)
  • Murder of a Royal Pain (A Scumble River Mystery, #11)