Start by marking “Dancing with a Dead Horse” as Want to Read:
Dancing with a Dead Horse

Dancing with a Dead Horse

Sometimes lullabies aren’t soothing; they’re deadly.

Sixteen-year-old Jason Miller wants three things: to become a professional Mixed Martial Arts fighter, graduate from high school, and avoid his mother’s ballet classes.

When he finds the body of the most popular girl in school, he has a major freak-out session, and then calls 911. But if finding a body wasn’t bad enough, w
Published April 30th 2014 by Eirelander Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Dancing with a Dead Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dancing with a Dead Horse

Christoph Fischer
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"Dancing with a Dead Horse" by Danielle DeVor is an excellent and enthralling crime story for young adults.
16 year old Jason tries to get on with his teenage life as good as he can. He is pestered by his mother, a Russian ballet teacher - who I absolutely loved as very colourful and amusing character.
Of course, for Jason she is mostly annoying.
Jason finds the dead body of a popular girl at school and becomes a suspect (due to some mysterious little horse figure left in his locker).
As you can s
Manda
Jan 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
Nomadic SA Chick's Book Reviews

Summary
Jason wasn't exactly excited about going to school today, but nothing could have prepared him for finding the most popular girl dead in the boys restroom. Now everyone is convinced he's responsible.

Review
UGH! This was just bad. Just because it's YA does not mean you can throw all reason and logic out the window. Basically this is how the book starts:
Jason - I'm going to the restroom. Oh no, there's a dead girl here. Crap! *calls 911*
Principal - Jason, I know
Katie O'Sullivan
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Jason Miller narrates this dark YA tale of a serial killer who preys on the junior class of his high school, and seems to want to frame Jason for the murders. And he thought school was bad before the killing spree started.

His mother is a former Russian ballet dancer who defected to marry an American mechanic. She teaches ballet, and forces Jason to take lessons, although he'd rather learn MMA (mixed martial arts). The mothers brother happens to be a Russian crime lord, so when the bodies start p
Simon Okill
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dancing with a Dead Horse by Danielle DeVor is a superior serial killer thriller for teenagers. The author expertly grips the reader with one of the most awesome opening chapters this reader has ever seen. Way to go Danielle! From there the pace is frantic as 16 year old Jason Miller discovers the mutilated corpse of a girl in the boys washroom at school.
Jason's life is turned upside down and inside out as he juggles everyday teen angst with being suspected as the killer, mounting bully pressure
Bob Rector
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Danielle DeVor’s ‘Dancing With A Dead Horse’ is one of the best whodunnits I’ve read in a long time. This is one of those rare books that after you get a few pages into it you say: Oh man, this is gonna be really good, then shove everything else aside and dive in head first. I did and I wasn’t disappointed. Quite the opposite.

I can only assume that Ms. DeVor stopped developing at the age of 16 or 17. That would explain her uncanny ability to get into the head of a teen so convincingly and see th
Mii
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great read!
Anna Othitis
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The author grips the reader so very well. Revealing teenage life with compassion, great humor and fun. My son loved the book and was fascinated by this exciting suspense book with action packed adventure. Well written and recommended were his comments. Look forward to more of the author;s great books.
Jack Heath
Apr 21, 2019 marked it as to-read
Synopsis: sixteen-year-old Jason is a normal teenager. Then he finds the body of his school's most popular girl. He's accused and the count rises.
Terry Reid
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Small town America gets handed a mirror and a chance to have a good long hard look at itself in Danielle Devor’s crime teen thriller Dancing with a Dead Horse.

Teenager Jason Miller gets blamed for the murder of a fellow student when he discovers a body in the toilets at his high school. Things then turn sinister when he finds a doll horse made from the victim’s skin and hair in his locker.

From there the story focuses on Jason’s attempts to carry on with life as normally as possible while his
Murielle Cyr
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Danielle DeVor has written a spine-chilling story about a serial killer who stalks the corridors of a small town high school. When sixteen year old, Jason, discovers the mutilated body of a mate in the school washrooms, his world, and that of his parents, is turned upside down. At first accused of committing the murder by the local police; the students and the villagers then ostracize him. The students who don���t shun him become potential victims. The killer sews a piece of the victim���s skin ...more
Lilian Roberts
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved it!!! This is the second book I have read by this wonderful author Danielle DeVor. It was a delight of a read. The story is about a sixteen year old Jason Miller who wants to accomplish several things in his life.The author has an amazing way of delivering a story through the eyes of a teenager. She tackles all the important issue that young people face in school such as harassment, bullying and constant pressure that will turn one’s world upside down.This book is filled with thrilling e ...more
Shawna Romkey
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-reads
Dancing with a Dead Horse kept me turning the pages. A great YA horror mystery, but I'd recommend it for the older of the teens out there. DeVor isn't one to shy away from the horror or the violence.

I really enjoyed the main character's point of view, his language, and his attitude. The voice of the story as much as the tension and the suspense kept my attention. It was interesting to see his view of himself mirrored with the other students' view of him. The small town, the police force, his par
Paem Xia
Aug 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
What the hell? Why would people rate it so high? She has family and friends writing reviews for her or what? The first few chapters were good. Then, it flopped. It when from 'hey this could be fun' to 'I've wasted money' and at the end 'you got to be kidding me'. The author should read her book again and tell people it's worth reading or otherwise.
Carolina
Jun 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
Don't normally write review's but had to on this one. The high ratings drew me to the book and I just don't get it. The book draws you in at the beginning then falls flat quickly. The build up leads to an ending that feels rushed and not worth the wait.
Annie
Jan 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
Terrible. Poorly written. No depth.
Jackie
Aug 20, 2014 rated it did not like it
the book was poorly written and had a sense of not being edited. the story line was hard to follow and felt disjointed.
Beth Lind
Feb 21, 2015 rated it liked it
The mystery was solid but the first person narration was a tad annoying.
Alexandra
Dec 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
not what I was hoping for

I'm just not that sure how this got such good reviews. Boring, unnecessary fillers, no memorable characters, choppy, and poorly written.
Amalie Jahn
Mar 06, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Culloo
  • Cutting Right to the Chase
  • Beyond Oria Falls (Dwellers of Ahwahnee, #2)
  • Vision
  • NGLND XPX
  • Tinted Lenses
  • September Again
  • Fruzzle's Mystery Talent: A Bed Time Fantasy Story for Children ages 3-10
  • Forever and Ever
  • Phantom Bigfoot Strikes Again (Phantom Bigfoot Series, #1)
  • Against The Tide
  • A Dead Sister (Jessica Huntington, #2)
  • Beware The Riptide
  • The Seven Natural Wonders Of The EARTH (My First Travel Books #2)
  • For Whom The Bell Tolls (Vlad Dracula, #1) (The Dracula Chronicles, #1)
  • Bentwhistle The Dragon in A Chilling Revelation (Book 2)
  • Spellbound in His Arms (The Greek Isles Series, #1)
  • Arielle Immortal Quickening (Immortal Rapture, #4)
Danielle DeVor spent her early years fantasizing about vampires and watching “Salem’s Lot” way too many times. After living briefly in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, she moved back to her hometown to write. When not writing and reading about weird things, you will find her hanging out at the nearest coffee shop, enjoying a mocha frappuccino.