Start by marking “The Boring Book” as Want to Read:
The Boring Book

The Boring Book

When the words in a tedious tome decide that life is just too dull, they escape. The world will never be the same again. The words jump into street signs, they leap onto shop signs, they decorate pathways and roadways and ponds. But one day they go too far...
Published October 23rd 2013 by Puffin Books New Zealand (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Boring Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boring Book

San Diego Book Review
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed by Liesel Wagner

In this book, there is a book that people say is super super boring. All the people that try to read it fall asleep because it is so super boring. But then the words in the book said they were tired of being boring, and they wanted to have fun instead! So the words played and had lots of fun, and then the words went out of the book and all through the world having a lot of fun. You can read this entire review at San Diego Book Review
Kathleen Dixon
I love the concept - it's, in a way, similar to the Herve Tullet book about needing a title, where the book is talking to the reader. I'm not putting that well (but at the moment I'm feeling a little distracted because my internet connection is being a right proper pain). Anyway, the concept is great but I don't feel it is quite successful. For example, the little inset book at the beginning (that no one ever read) is clever, but way above children's heads. Then, when the words escape, I don't l ...more
Cruth
Jun 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Author/Illustrator: Vasanti Unka
First Published: 2013

A good concept but I wasn't convinced on it's ability to engage with my young readers (4, 6, 9yo).

A book that appeals to the adult reader but doesn't quite make it for it's real audience.

Age:

(ISBN 9780143505754)

-CR-
Hillary Weil
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love this book and so do my kids! Even the reluctant reader reads and re-reads it. I have to read the small books to him and he always finds them super funny. The book has really grabbed the kids imagination - and mine I must add.
Missy
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The pop-out parts of this book are beautiful, but due to their fragility may not be ideal in a library setting. Still, I loved the idea of WORDS taking a life of their own, playing games, jumping off their pages, and finding their value in this creative and meaningful book.
Mary
Mar 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A fun book that had a reluctant reader engaged with the words. He kept joking it was such a boring book we should stop reading it but wanted to know how it ended!
Mrs. Ho Jr.
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-1-books
I bought this book for myself. You really do have to read the small printed, long winded, no break text at the front. It speaks to my sense of humor. Loved it!
Steph
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Adorable concept, but it would destroyed in my library in two seconds flat!
Heather
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beautiful use of words!!
Dylan Teut
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I can see use of this in writer's workshop about choosing the right words to use.
Brian
Jul 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Children's book - our grandkids loved it. One even spent time reading the 'boring book' example!
Tieta
Amber
Jan 27, 2015
Kalavati Narsai
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Such a clever read. Fun with great illustrations. The kids loved the humour.
Joseph Guiso
Oct 12, 2015
Gv
Aug 31, 2016
GatheringBooks
Jul 18, 2016
Simon Sweetman
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The best books for kids are the ones you just want to read for yourself.
May 05, 2014
rated it it was ok
Jan 10, 2018
Natalie Lyon
Jun 23, 2014
Vasanti Unka is an award-winning designer and illustrator based in Auckland, New Zealand. The Boring Book (2013) was named the New Zealand Post Margaret Mahy Book of the Year for 2014 and won the Best Picture Book award, and was listed in the 2014 international White Ravens Catalogue. She is the illustrator of Hill & Hole by Kyle Mewburn, which won the LIANZA Russell Clark Award in 2011 and was also t ...more