Start by marking “Alex (Verhoeven #2)” as Want to Read:
Alex (Verhoeven #2)

Alex

(Camille Verhœven #2)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  11,391 ratings  ·  1,709 reviews
Kriminalkommissær Camille Verhoeven kommer på hårdt arbejde, da en ung pige ved navn Alex bliver kidnappet; Der er kun et enkelt øjenvidne og ellers ingen spor at gå efter.

Alex er imidlertid blevet efterladt nøgen i et bur i en gammel fabriksejendom, uden hverken mad eller drikke, og i et kapløb med tiden, må hun desperat håbe på at overleve.

Når Camille Verhoeven at finde
Published March 4th 2014 by Lindhardt og Ringhof (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Alex, please sign up.
Krbo upao i ja u isto grešku - drugi dio wtf??

no roman Irene, kao prvi kronološki nastavak je napisan poslije Alex i još nije preveden
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kevin Sarmiento
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  11,391 ratings  ·  1,709 reviews

Janet Joy
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shocking.
Gruesome.
Complex.
Compelling.
I did not like the beginning because I am squeamish. It was ugly. Raw and very Frightening.
I continued and was rewarded with the start of an ingenious puzzle. A layered plot is so delicious and this was extremely satisfying and addictive.
One starts with pitying the woman & fearing for her : twist: pitying the men and fearing for them : twist : understanding the woman through those who knew her : pitying her : twist : cheering for her.
It is brilliant in th
Carl Ingebretsen
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I am ecstatic right now. Damn near in shock. I have just experienced the thrill of reading what I am going to hold as one of the best crime novels I have ever read. In other words;

BEST. CRIME NOVEL. EVER EVER EVER OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOGMOMGOGMOGM

Ahem.

But seriously, I cannot get over how terrific, how amazing, this novel really is. Written in present tense (DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA HOW RARE THIS IS?!), in third person, the prose is sometimes bizarre and always slightly different to read. It is
Brenda
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in a trilogy. The first, Irene, I gave 4 stars; this book gets 5 stars.

You can probably tell from the title that this book is about Alex. Alex was put into a horrific situation from which...oh, rats, I can't tell you that. Then the story turns 180° when it turns out Alex is...oops, I can't tell you that, either. And finally, Alex... Well, I give up. You have to read the book. There's nothing I can tell you, except this was an emotional roller coaster and I loved the ride!
Robert
Jul 24, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If I may be so bold, I’d like to begin at the end and say there’s definitely a “disturbance in the creative force.”—thanks Amanda Or at least that was my first thought after completing this novel.

If I didn’t want to embrace books with a warm hug and proceed to shove them out into the world by talking about them, promoting them, and engaging in lively discussions with informed readers across the space and time continuum for the rest of my life without fail, I could very easily just write ALEX off
Sharon
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-2017
Reviewed for The Reading Room (Bookstr)

When I first received this book, I was not sure if I would enjoy it so I put it off time and time again. I have read a few Crime Thrillers before and enjoyed them but they were not my thing. So imagine my surprise when this book turned out to not only be my favourite for the year. It's one of the most cleverly written books that I have read in a long time.

Written almost in a movie script style; I am not sure if that is the intention of the author or whethe
Raven
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every so often a crime thriller comes along that leaves you breathless and takes you on a disturbing journey into the darkest recesses of human experience- ‘Alex’ is one such book and you are guaranteed a tale of the unexpected from start to finish. Don’t expect any spoilers or dwelling on the plot from me, as I want you all to be as surprised by this twisty tale as I was, but all I will say is, you are in for more than one shock or two along the way. Intriguing huh?

The book opens innocuously en
MaryG2E
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an absolutely first class crime novel. It is a real page-turner, and I had great trouble putting it down before reaching the clever ending. I rate it 4.5 ★s

Within the crime fiction genre, I prefer the police procedural and/or forensic science formats. That’s because I love guessing ’Whodunnit?’ So I enjoy best those novels that drop little clues into the narrative - doesn’t matter if they are false clues or red herrings, because it is all about solving the mystery. With its principal cri
Carolyn
This was an exceptionally good suspense novel. It starts off as a horrendous kidnapping, with the victim suffering unimaginable torture for reasons that are not clear to us. Then it becomes a murder mystery where the police are hunting a serial killer who kills her seemingly unrelated victims in a horrendous manner. Not for the faint hearted but masterfully written and gripping right to the end.

This is the second novel in the Verhoeven trilogy and it stands alone very well. However it does revea
Janet
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alex is the follow up to Irene in the Verhoeven trilogy by Lemaitre. Even though the storyline is completely different certain events continue on from the previous book so these books are best read in order if you want to fully appreciate how they're told.

I don't like giving away spoilers so I'll keep this brief and say that the story is one of Alex, a young woman that gets brutally kidnapped and held hostage by an assailant for reasons that only become clear with time. What follows is a hard hi
Pat
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Absolutely awesome book! The first book "Irene" I might have to rate a 5.5 but "Alex" is right behind with 5 stars. Very different stories and very different premise in the storyline. I could not figure out where this story was going but the end was far better than anything I imagined. I recommend these books to anyone who appreciates a great crime series. I also recommend these books be read in order (and I am someone who cheats and reads out of order!). Some details from "Irene" appear in "Ale ...more
Kylie Simpson
Nov 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
everything else is in French, but never fear, this book will be out in English in march 2013, and everyone who loves a great thriller should put this on their wish list. it's hard to review this without giving away the plot, and to give anything away is to spoil the book, which is full of so many twists and turns that you are left stunned but utterly impressed after finishing it. Alex is a crime novel at heart, but the protagonist Alex is anything but a typical victim. Comparisons are being made ...more
Pat
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh that was just gut wrenching. Very dark, atmospheric and one of the best noir crime novels I've read. The European authors seem to excel at this sort of thing. This book is best read after book 1 - Irene.

I suppose a trigger warning is in order. There are some parts of the book that are shocking and hard to rad.

At first it seems to be a race against time to rescue a kidnapped woman, the book's title character Alex, but then it becomes so much more. I don't want to say any more because it will s
Jill Hutchinson
Proceed at your own risk since this book has ratings from five stars to one star. The five star reviews make me wonder if I have missed something and the one star reviews make me think that maybe I didn't. Spoilers ahead.

It goes something like this:
*girl is kidnapped by unknown man
*girl escapes
*girl starts killing men (and one woman) by using sulfuric acid
*the detective assigned to the case is only 4'11" and is very sensitive to any mention of size
*girl kills herself
*girl wins in the end and det
Andrea
Things are not always what they seem, and the line between victim and perpetrator is not just blurred but bent, twisted and tied in knots, in this second instalment of the Verhoeven trilogy. Alex (which can stand by itself, outside of the trilogy) is my first taste of Pierre Lemaitre and I'm looking forward to reading more. This is probably the best crime/thriller I have read in the last few years - 4.5 stars
E. H. Nathasia
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best thriller I've ever read. My God, the twists just keeps on coming. When I first read, I though I kinda knew where this is going. I'm like, oh, another detective mystery that involves kidnapping. But, boy am I wrong! Any thriller fan should read it!
Andy
Back with my French teccie series after enjoying the first outing with Irene very much.

This time we have Alex & it’s her we start the story with alongside Camille who’s the lead detective in this series, the story runs in parallel & its a dark brooding tale, very noir in its description, violent in places, psychologically very dark too & actually quite chilling in part as you try to imagine situations which the author has created. Its’ a style I’m comfortable with but I mention it fo
Jim Coughenour
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This first (or first-translated) thriller by Pierre Lemaitre is the best French polar I've read since the early books by Fred Vargas or Dominique Manotti. Commandant Camille Verhoeven is a very short man, the first of many mordant jokes Lemaitre uses to excellent effect. Here's one exchange between Verhoeven and a superior:
"You have demonstrated a singular lack of clear-sightedness in this case, Commandant Verhoeven. You were constantly overtaken by events… had it not been for this fortunate 'in
Nigel
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-recent-ones
I read a few reviews for Lemaitre on here (thanks all!) and picked this one up cheap as a holiday read. It took me 30/40 pages to really get into - the writing style seemed a bit strange initially. However once I was into it it was hard to put down. Camille is an excellent character and a pleasure to get to know. The story is a real roller-coaster, tense and brutal at times but a damn good read. Amazon had a couple of the other books in the series on offer at 0.99 so they on on the Kindle for th ...more
B
Holy thriller batman.
I'm going to lay down a scene for you:
Girl gets kidnapped, girl is left to die, girl... isn't any ordinary kidnapped girl.
When I started this novel I figured it would be a normal mystery following the dual storylines of victim and avenger. Lemaitre? Had something different in mind. Think word roller coaster. Think original twists and turns. Think becoming nauseous and infuriated and victorious all in the span of ~350 pages.
First, you have Alex: small, beaten, alone, fighting
Selvianty Selvianty
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, thriller
Weeelllllll how do I say this. I've read and watched a lot of crime stories so the main story of this book wasn't surprising but it was written with unique style. How it was written with so little clues makes you unable to guess the real culprit, just like the detectives. You have to follow their every steps in investigating and also you'll see how Alex was doing. The detectives didn't know who caused all of this, not until the very end, and so are you. But thanks to criminal minds tv show now I ...more
Labijose
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s the perfect crime novel. Thrilling pages from start to finish! A bit of warning, though. Some of the descriptions are not for the faint hearted. That said, it kept me glued to my kindle. Lemaitre knows his way around plots. An enjoyable roller coaster ride, full of magnificent twists. Great characters, and not only Camille. Louis and Armand are described in an astonishing beautiful way. And the ending …, the human touch in the investigation of how Alex turned out to be the way she was is qu ...more
Lou Robinson
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up Alex from the Waterstones website as it was book of the month. Quite a gruesome read...I'd put it on a par with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series for graphic description of the crimes. But an excellent story, a twisty plot and loathsome characters. This is is the only book of Pierre Lemaitre's that has been translated into English so far, hopefully there will be more. A star docked for the slightly awkward sentence style, it felt at times like you were reading a bulleted list. O ...more
Marie the Librarian
Actual rating: 4,5 stars.

Well, this was good. Full of surprises! I liked how it evolved and even though it was a bit confusing at times it was very thrilling. Also super disturbing at parts!!!
Katie
Sep 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hardly review books on here but I've had some caffeine this morning and this book, I feel, deserves a review (if anything to reconcile/process in my brain what the eff I just read.) I was browsing my library's ebook site in a quick search for a book that I could start while at the beach. I briefly read the description, about a pretty girl who was kidnapped, a cop to solve the mystery, etc. Done, it would do for some light reading.

I had no idea I would end up with toes in the sand, in my swim s
Calzean
A great detective/murder book - really three stories with three endings in one. A kidnap, a serial killer, a incestuous rapist. Each one is gruesome and asks the questions what causes evil.
Each part of the book rolls along with new shocks and twists as Alex is kidnapped then kills then her childhood is revealed. It is what a book in this genre should be.
Rebecca Bradley
I absolutely loved this book. I’m not sure what I expected when I picked it up, maybe another crime fiction novel, but for me it was in another league altogether. It’s a difficult book to give your thoughts on without giving away plot spoilers, the twists and turns in it are so dramatic. They are also incredibly well executed and well written. Alex is a translated novel, originally written in French. The translation is fantastic.

The protagonist, Camille, and his two colleagues, Louis and Armand,
Mark
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction, thriller
This book starts out with a bang and keeps a torrid pace right until the end, when the analytical revelations of secrets play out.

Alex, a young woman living in Paris, is snatched off the street one night by a brutal man driving a nondescript van. Soon, she is imprisoned in a crate that is too small for her to sit or lie down in, suspended from the ceiling, in an abandoned warehouse, surrounded by hungry rats.

Assigned to the case is homicide detective Camille Verhoeven, whose wife had died after
Neil Sheppard
Sep 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Billed as the "new Girl With The Dragon Tattoo", Alex is a compelling and exciting read. It may not be great literature, but it will keep you turning the pages. It's hard with translated novels to tell whether flaws in the prose are the fault of the author or the translation, but Alex' style is distractingly staccato. I had to reread some passages several times and was still none-the-wiser as to what the meaning was as the detail was lacking. This does, however, serve to ramp up the tension. Thi ...more
Linda Bakker-Zwakhals
One of the best thrillers I have read in a while! There are so many weird twists in this story, that until the end, I did not know where this story would go.

When I read the last couple of pages, it all made sense and I felt a little foolish that I did not see it coming. But during the story I was so distracted that it also makes sense that I did not see it coming.

The writing was good. Descriptive enough to paint some grueling images in my head, but not so descriptive that it gets boring.

I start
Pasha
Jan 11, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Do you ever hate a book so much you start reading real fast so that you finish it quickly?
This book is one of those.
This book is a complete waste of time.
So, what have we got? A very short 50 years old widowed depressed detective with a cat (very realistic). A girl named Alex, who escapes the damn cage of hers and goes home like nothing happened. And absolutely incompetent police officers.
Also,
SO. MANY. PLOTHOLES.

• Hungerelden (Victoria Bergmans svaghet, #2)
  • WISHBONE...Be Careful What You Wish For
  • The Ghost Riders of Ordebec (Commissaire Adamsberg, #9)
  • Sezione Suicidi
  • The 7th Woman (Paris Homicide, #1)
  • Il maestro delle ombre
  • Kråkflickan (Victoria Bergmans svaghet, #1)
  • The Stone Boy
  • How's the Pain?
  • The Dead House (Fiona Griffiths, #5)
  • The Outsider (Detective Ash Rashid #2)
  • Unconditional
  • Пиреј
  • Like This, For Ever (Lacey Flint, #3)
  • The Tenth Case (Jaywalker, #1)
  • Se eu fechar os olhos agora
Pierre Lemaitre is a French novelist and screenwriter.

Awards: Prix du premier roman du Festival de Cognac 2006 pour Travail soigné - Prix Le Point du polar européen pour Cadres Noirs - Meilleur polar francophone 2009 au Salon de Montigny pour Robe de marié.

Camille Verhœven (4 books)
  • Irène (Verhœven, #1)
  • Rosy & John (Verhœven #3)
  • Camille (Verhœven, #3)