Start by marking “Innocence Lost (For Queen and Country, #1)” as Want to Read:
Innocence Lost (For Queen and Country, #1)

Innocence Lost

(For Queen and Country #1)

A fantasy loosely based on the historical setting of the Netherlands and western Germany.

Johanna is the daughter of a rich merchant in the kingdom of Saarland. As an only child and without a mother, she has grown up with notions, such as that she wants to take over her father's river trade business in her own name. Courtesy of her eastern mother, she has an unusual ability
Published March 11th 2014

To ask other readers questions about Innocence Lost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Innocence Lost

Start your review of Innocence Lost (For Queen and Country, #1)
Brenda
When Johanna learned of the Prince’s return to the kingdom of Saarland, and his imminent crowning, she was puzzled. Prince Roald had been away from the king and queen for some time and the rumours surrounding him were rife. And when her father told her that she would accompany him to the ball with the view of having one dance with the Prince as he needed to choose a wife Johanna was horrified…

Meanwhile when at the markets with Nellie, Johanna spotted her friend Loesie at her basket weaving stand
Ju Transcendancing
I wanted to like this and I thought it had a good premise but that it was ultimately unbelievable, and squicked the hell out of me. Although attempts at writing an independent-minded female character in a patriarchal society were made, they weren't believable or realised. Similarly treatment of a character with a mental disability was abhorrent. This is one of those books I finished because I kept wondering what the point was, and kept holding out hope that it would somehow come together in the ...more
Mark
Dec 16, 2018 rated it liked it
A very good start to this series, plenty of female characters hoping it gets better as the series continues.

Very slow build up, the last half really rushes you along the the storyline.
Runningrabbit
First book free on Amazon.To check out more paranormal romance reads go to https://www.facebook.com/ParanormalBo...
This book had so much potential but was bogged down with repetitive scenarios, annoying characters, and a slow story. I would have also put this book down for YA, however, the sexual content left this as a rather ambiguous choice.

Our heroine, Johanna, has so much common sense, but apparently doesn't acknowledge that she can never run her father's business because 1. she's a woman,
Montzalee Wittmann
Innocence Lost by Patty Jansen is a fantasy novel but I would say for adults not for teens due to the sexual content. Johanna has a touch of magic where she can see the past by just touching things with wood in them. She lives where magic is evil and condemned. She also lives where marriages are arranged and her father is trying to arrange for her to marry her off. Her father made a deal of some kind to have the King invite him and Johanna to the ball for all the pretty girls to see the Prince w ...more
Kara Prem
Oct 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
Joan

There were some good aspects to this story, but I felt as if I was reading a YA book at times and there were some rather unsavoury aspects that could have been handled with far more sympathy and tact. (The Prince was one of those. - I felt extremely uncomfortable reading the scenes involving him, simply because of the total lack of empathy on the author's part?)

And the sex scene was unpleasant to say the least.
Celia Buell
Well, I certainly didn't plan to finish this tonight.

For some reason, I've been avoiding a lot of this genre, and it's always the same story. I avoid the stories of forbidden magic and the historical fantasies, thinking I won't like them much, and somehow end up loving them. This has been the case with three or four novels I've read over the last few months, and through this process I've discovered a genre with a lot of strong female characters who know how to say no.

Innocence Lost was no except
Becky
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Johanna is very strong willed. She has her own way of thinking and doesn't mind not following what is expected of her. She also has a secret, one that would be consis|red magic and evil. But because of this, she discovers her town is coming under attack and the cause coming from a very unlikely source. How can she warn the town without actually revealing what she can do?
This is a good storyline. Reminds of the city of Salem and witches in the 1800's. Of course, who wouldn't love an independent w
Erik Sapp
Jun 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
The author does a very good job of setting up the world. At the beginning of the book, I had great sympathy for the main character and what was expected of her.

And then I got to the main part of the plot...

(SPOILERS AHEAD)

I had managed to figure out what was wrong with the prince before it was revealed. It isn't very subtle, though I kept hoping I was wrong. When we do meet the prince, he seems very sympathetic, and I thought that characterization would continue. Instead, he turns into almost a
Susana
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really liked it this story. It’s just the beginning and I’m sure there’s so much to come because here we meet the main characters, how they live and what they expect from life. There’s magic and some secrets that threaten to change everything and how they fact those changes is very interesting to see.

Our heroine has strong convictions of what she wants but she’s learning that in life many time we can’t do what we want but what we must and it’s best for other people instead of ourselves.

Surpris
Violet Stone
Feb 24, 2021 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2020-book-haul
What started out as an interesting concept quickly went down hill. The most abhorrent was the sex scene in the second to last chapter.

This book reads like a YA at first but is definitely not.

Prince Roald is frequently called a "halfwit". I'm not sure how mental special needs should have been handled, or what kind of constraints there are for the time period chosen...but this didn't seem right.

He is very focused on the female anatomy. I'll just leave it at that.

There's also the other prince th
Monica
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book felt too short. Although more than a few days had passed, it didn't feel like that. By the end of the story, I felt like I had read the prologue, and that's all. It was a good prologue, but not really a standalone story. A thousand questions were asked, but not a single one answered. The end was especially puzzling. Johanna's choice at the end came a bit too suddenly, and I found it hard to believe that was the climax of the story.
In the end though, the story was an easy read. The page
Barbara Russell
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This lovely book is a quick and fun read. I particularly loved the world building and the new concept of magic the author invented. Johanna has wood magic. She has visions when she touches willow wood and can experience what the wood saw, or rather, what happened around it. The Church of Triune forbids any type of magic, so Johanna must keep her talent secret.
I think the tone of the novel, its characters, and its content leans more toward YA than adult.
Ann Pratley
Apr 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was somewhat of a surprise, but a good one. There were aspects to it that I can see some might not enjoy, but for me, the story was pretty good. It took a while for action to happen, but once it did, it was quite a journey to be taken on! The blend of royalty, magic, adventure, and the strength of one young woman, all made for a recipe that is worth investing time in to read. Give it a go!
Liza
Jan 01, 2021 rated it liked it
Not convinced
Not totally satisfied by this book. Johanna is annoyed that as a girl, she isn't taken seriously and is only suitable to be married off. On the other hand, the Crown Prince Roald is a halfwit but must be married off to produce an heir for the good of the kingdom. Loesie is 'possessed' and according to the Shepherd/Priest should be evicted from the town. Maidservant Nellie can't understand why Johanna doesn't behave like a proper girl.
Reviewed on Kobo on April 14, 2018
Debra Schwitzer
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
The title exposed at the end

Interesting story of a young woman who goes to a prince's ball and ends up having to abandon all her childish ways. Basically she grows up in a single day. Her life before was rich and easy but I don't think it will be in the future. This story has a huge cliffhanger ending.
Christine Marie
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
A promising story but fell short.
When Johanna hears that the Future King is to return and have a ball in his honor.
Overall there was just too much repetition of certain aspects of the novel. I.E. The Maid to Johanna was raised prim and proper and over and over it was repeated that certain things were “scandalous”
Catherine Vickers
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Adventurous plot with an abundance of mysteries. Brave leading lady trying to save her dying kingdom. Some unusual characters playing out in the background. Though the one you thought might play the hero simply disappears out of the plot, which was a bit disappointing. Maybe he'll turn up in book 2, which I must read as the plot is left hanging. ...more
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good Story

Don't let this book fool you. It's a fairytale. Jansen's books are difficult at the beginning, but they do get good.
Innocence Lost isn't as good as her science fiction books, but this will certainly have you turning the pages to see what will happen next.
Pat Welte
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book and the characters. There was romance, arranged marriages, danger and life changed in an instant. When fighting broke out and some had to run for their lives. I am looking forward to the next book in this series.
Anne
Oct 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: z2019-books-read
Really slow build up. Boring. Got more interesting at the end. Like other reviewers have said, ended in a sharp cliff hanger. I already have the series, but I wouldn't recommend this book to others unless they are willing to invest in the whole series. ...more
Oliver Snowden
Nov 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Fairly typical entry to the kindle library where the first book acts as a free preview to a longer story, read this one as part of a collection called sword and magic and it's good enough i will look to read the others in this series at some point. ...more
SK
May 05, 2021 rated it did not like it
This was bad. I trudged through the stereo typical "the church is evil trope." Whatever. The heroine who is suppose to be smart, but lacks basic common sense was annoying. The horrible portrayal of someone with mental impairment was more than I could stomach. Hard pass on the rest of this series. ...more
Linda
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OMG, I can't wait to read book two as I could not stop reading this book!! ...more
Lynne
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
An interesting fantasy tale. It was a bit slow for my liking, but I enjoyed it.
Melissa Hayden
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook, fantasy
When we get to the ball, things take a turn that draws me into the story. To meet Prince Roald and see how things come together. Before hand...

****FULL REVIEW TO FOLLOW****
E Janssen
Feb 28, 2019 rated it liked it
An interesting start to a new historical epic with magic, royalty and ravaging bandits. It left me hanging but it’s caught me enough to get the next book and keep reading!
Amber K
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
This story just wasn't for me. I found that it moved along too slowly and I struggled to finish it ...more
Joël
Jul 09, 2020 rated it did not like it
The characters were caricatures of what they could have been, and the sex scene was disgusting

• The Last Priestess (The Songmaker, #1)
  • Beneath the Canyons (Daughter of the Wildings, #1)
  • The Amber Isle (Book of Never, #1)
  • The Wanderer (The Silverleaf Chronicles Book 1)
  • The Sunken Tower (The Dragonspire Chronicles, #5)
  • The Hunters (The Silverleaf Chronicles Book 3)
  • Awakening (The Silverleaf Chronicles Book 2)
  • Traps (The Silverleaf Chronicles Book 4)
  • Hope (The Silverleaf Chronicles Book 6)
  • Drac'nor (The Silverleaf Chronicles Book 5)
  • He Who Fights with Monsters: A LitRPG Adventure (He Who Fights with Monsters, #1)
  • The Dragon's Champion (The Dragon's Champion, #1)
  • Admiral Bob (Bob and Nikki Book 15)
  • Cinnamon Bun 2 (Cinnamon Bun, #2)
  • Stargazy Pie (Greenwing & Dart, #1)
  • Freelancing (The Earthborn #0.5)
  • The Peaks of Autumn (Book of Never, #4)
See top shelves…
Author of Science Fiction and fantasy and non-fiction.

Author of the Ambassador series, the Icefire Trilogy, For Queen And Country series and the Return of the Aghyrians series.

Join the official newsletter and receive four books free

For Queen and Country (6 books)
  • Willow Witch (For Queen and Country, #2)
  • The Idiot King (For Queen and Country, #3)
  • Fire Wizard (For Queen and Country, #4)
  • The Dragon Prince (For Queen and Country, #5)
  • The Necromancer's Daughter (For Queen and Country #6)