Start by marking “Magic 101 (A Diana Tregarde Investigation Boxset)” as Want to Read:
Magic 101 (A Diana Tregarde Investigation Boxset)

Magic 101

(Diana Tregarde 0.6)

Before Buffy ever staked out a vampire, before anyone was “Grimm,” before the “Supernatural” Winchester brothers locked horns with things that go bump in the night, there was Diana Tregarde.

Diana Tregarde. Occult investigator. Witch. And Guardian. Pledged to protect and shield the innocent from the deadly menaces of the Dark, the things most people have never seen--and wou
Published April 13th 2014 by High Flight Arts and Letters

To ask other readers questions about Magic 101, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magic 101

Suzanne
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This novella makes me want to explore the series. I also enjoyed the introduction basically saying - "It's set in 1970 people - don't expect today's technology!"
Terri
Jun 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2014, fiction
So disappointing. This book is billed on Amazon as a new novella, but not only is it largely (~80%) the previously published short story "Arcanum 101," but sections of the remaining novel directly quote the flashback scenes in "Burning Water" - so much so that the story as it is retold here describes Diana as living in the building next to Quasi, but in the copy and pasted part, describes her as Quasi's upstairs neighbor. In other words, it is literally a cut and paste job.

I really liked the Di
CatBookMom
This is newly released at Amazon. However, most of the book (80+%!) is the previously-published story *Arcanum 101*, which was in Trio of Sorcery (Diana Tregarde, #0.5). The new story isn't much, hence the 3 stars. Glad Amazon was willing to refund my purchase of the ebook.

It's a good story - *Arcanum 101*, I mean. It's the prequel to the novel-length Diana Tregarde books, and it's interesting to see how the early-20s girl is already showing the strengths she has as a Guardian. But don't buy thi
Galina Krasskova
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
It would be nice if Lackey could write a story without somehow shitting on Gods that people venerate (in this book it was Cybele, with an aside that one shouldn't give old Gods windows into the modern world). That and the main character's whining throughout make this one impossible to recommend.
Kerry
Nov 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 7, fantasy, 2014, ebooks
It was nice to read a couple of Di stories I had never seen before.

Really, that's all I've got to say. Good stories that I enjoyed reading. I do now find myself tempted to reread Children of the Night again to see Di meeting Andre all over again, but really, I have too many other things I want to get to first.

We'll see what tempts me most.
Andrea
It has been ages and ages since I’ve read any Diana Tregarde books and I actually think I hadn’t read this collection of two short stories before. I love the summary here on Goodreads, because YEAH – this was pre-Buffy and Supernatural and Magicians and Diana holds up pretty darn well as a lead. It does help that she’s a bit older than the typical protagonist, though this work does give us the impression her “fighting evil” gig started when she was a younger teen so she’s had time to mature into ...more
Carol Gibson
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf-and-fantasy
I read the first three Diana Tregarde years ago and enjoyed the series and was sad when the author said she would not be writing anymore in the series.

I was delighted to find this. This deals with Diana as a young Guardian first as a teen and then a college student. I really enjoyed the blast from the past and remembering the world of the early 1970s that the stories are set in.

Diana is much different at this age less cocky and more vulnerable. As much as I enjoyed the first three novels with
Keith  Blodgett
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
The first story, at the beginning of Di's life at Harvard, was new to me. Well written, intriguing, a quick short look into the adult we fans loved in her three novels. It was back in the dial-up connection days of local bulletin boards that a friend introduced me to these stories and their author. The second story in 'Magic 101' was very short and familiar. I'm certain I've read it before. Amusing but not very satisfying due to its length or lack thereof. Still, a quick view into a hero's early ...more
Kiwi Carlisle
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
The most I can say for this is that it’s rather better than the full-length Diana Tregarde novels, slightly less preposterous and unrealistic, but only slightly. It’s really a shame, because Diana is a well-realized, likeable character. It’s just that she appears in the midst of a mishmash of stuff clumsily parched together from folklore, ceremonial magic, fantasy novels, and a profound misunderstanding of modern earth-based religions and non-theistic magical practice. Diana’s character earns th ...more
Kathleen Hansen
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Any Diana Tregarde is better than no Diana Tregarde

Some editing snafus that don’t badly impact the tale, this is a reworking of Diana’s early days, pre “Children of The Night”. It’s pulled together in one place references from the other Tregarde Mysteries for a cohesive tale efficiently, as one would expect from Mercedes Lackey.
Elizabeth Parker
Hurray!!

I have loved and often re-read my copies of the Diana Tregarde mysteries. I have long wished for more and finally there is a new one. It's a prequel so you might be familiar-ish with some of the characters but it didn't matter for me. I am quite happy for this closer look into Diana's past.
Mary Ann
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, paranormal, action, 2018
One of my favorite authors returns to a character that I enjoyed decades ago in that she fought to keep down evil and support positive living. This story gives more background and invites new readers into the 1970s that new readers may adrift without their modern day technology.
Sean Sand
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic

I have read all of lackeys books this is one of my favorites. She does a fantastic job with imagery and conveying the feeling of what is going on. A great short work by a fantastic author.
Debra Stiger
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mercedes Lackey never disappoints!

I have been reading her books for over 30 years, and I never find a bad one. I enjoyed this book. Not her best, but enjoyable.
Mary F. Powell
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reunion

I chose this rating because it was a wonderful reunion with Di. Hopefully, looking for more stories about her. Awesomeness.
Jessica Redmon
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just what i hoped!

More of the Diana Tregarde I loved. Same feel and fleshes our stories hinted at in earlier books. Just wish there were more!
Richard St clair
Excellent prequel

These occult mysteries are great fun, and these two stories are very engaging prequels to the books. I wish the author would continue the series!
Li
Dated and predictable, but yes, still fun.
Simone Marie
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome!

Another amazing, fun to read, thought provoking exercise from the mind of Mercedes Lackey. A definite must read for any book lover.
Alina
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban_fantasy
I love the Diana Tregarde series. I think Mercedes Lackey is great in general and this series is very different from her other work. Mercedes Lackey's books -- at least a lot of them -- have a certain pattern and the Diana series deviate from it -- not that I have anything against the "pattern" -- I like it but deviations are always good :)
My favorite book of the series is "Children of the Night", "Burning Water" is nice and "Jinx High" I'm not the greatest fan of. I like "Magic 101" much bette
Ardyth
Oct 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Too many mistakes

I love Mercedes Lackey and read her first three Diana Tregarde books with enjoyment, but this book had beginner's mistakes in it. There were several sentences that were rewritten,but some of the older versions of the sentences were not changed to fit the rewritten versions. I am really sorry to see one of Mercedes' books with mistakes.
Amy
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Always a Classic

When I was a teen I stumbled upon Mercedes Lackey and Diana Tregarde. Diana is the first character, save Nancy Drew that is a strong independent heroine. I am going back to read them again, to rediscover Diana in all her awesomeness. Love all of the books beginning to end. Even with the technology gap it still works flawlessly.
Kay Ling
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Good Writing is Never Out of Date

I thoroughly enjoyed both the novella and the short story in Magic 101. Di is the ideal female heroine--clever, funny, and strong but still vulnerable and very human. This book may have been written decades ago, but it will still be great fiction decades from now.
Michael  Starsheen
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Yay, another Diana Tregarde!

I have always enjoyed the Diana Tregarde novels, and this is the first new one in many years. I enjoyed it a great deal, and I recommend this book to anyone who likes good magical reads.
Cyndi
Dec 15, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a good story, but it's a re-hash of an earlier Diana Tregarde prequel, just a little more fleshed out. So it definitely wasn't bad, but it also was not something "new" as promised in the Amazon blurb.
Ricki
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great series

I read the Diana Tregard series quite a while back, and had entirely forgotten about it! She is not a female Harry Potter, but if you enjoy Harry Potter you are sure to enjoy Diana! Getting ready to reread the entire series.. Great to renew her aquaintace,
Joanna Chaplin
Jul 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Urban fantasy is not usually my favorite, but this was enjoyable. At least partially because it was set in the 70's, and I like fiction that helps me get the feel of other real-world times and places.
Barbara E Emerson
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Short but sweet

Very good read! Awesome storyline, can't wait to read the next one! The storyline is very believable. Di is an incredible heroine
Julie
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable. There are only three or four books in this series and I have read two so far and liked them both.
Jarrod
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good

Good stories well put together. A solid Mercedes Lackey read that makes me want to move on to the rest of the series

• Third Time Lucky: And Other Stories of the Most Powerful Wizard in the World
  • Believing is Seeing
  • Spirit Singer
  • Magebane
  • The Isadora Interviews (The Network Series, #1.5)
  • Havenstar
  • Dreams of the Golden Age (Golden Age, #2)
  • Tales From High Hallack, Volume 1: The Collected Short Stories of Andre Norton, Volume 1
  • Medair (Medair, #1-2)
  • Remalna's Children
  • The Custodian of Marvels (Fall of the Gas-Lit Empire, #3)
  • Ecstasy (Debt Collector, #3)
  • The Long List Anthology Volume 3: More Stories From the Hugo Award Nomination List (The Long List Anthology Series)
  • The Long Past & Other Stories
  • Some of the Best From Tor.com: 2016 Edition
  • In Morningstar's Shadow: Dominion of the Fallen Stories (Dominion of the Fallen, #0.5)
  • Bone and Jewel Creatures
  • Sword and Sorceress 23
Mercedes entered this world on June 24, 1950, in Chicago, had a normal childhood and graduated from Purdue University in 1972. During the late 70's she worked as an artist's model and then went into the computer programming field, ending up with American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to her fantasy writing, she has written lyrics for and recorded nearly fifty songs for Firebird Arts &am ...more

Diana Tregarde (5 books)
  • Arcanum 101  (Diana Tregarde, #0.3)
  • Burning Water (Diana Tregarde, #1)
  • Children of the Night (Diana Tregarde, #2)
  • Jinx High (Diana Tregarde, #3)
“an untutored lout with a sledgehammer could kill you just as dead as an assassin with a stiletto.” 0 likes