Start by marking “Softly Falling” as Want to Read:
Softly Falling

Softly Falling

Beautiful Lily Branson learns that her wayward father has lost his Wyoming cattle ranch in a card game to handsome cowboy Jack Sinclair, no less! When a series of deadly winter storms sets in, Lily and Jack must work together to save the cattle—as well as their hearts.
Published November 11th 2014 by Cedar Fort Publishing & Media (first published November 9th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Softly Falling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Softly Falling

Tal
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Clara Kelly knows how to squeeze my heart. I just love it.
Jack was one of my favorite male characters.

Plot:
Lily is a beautiful half black girl (Must say it annoyed me that the cover girl is completely white since Lily, according to the book, is "paper bag brown"...), who travels from England to Wyoming in order to join her father. She is not really accepted in the English society since she is mixed and her uncle decides to send her (more accurately- get rid of her) to her Wyoming rancher father
Seema Khan
This was my third book, in succession and otherwise, by Carla Kelly and it is drastically different from the previous two: Reforming Lord Ragsdale and The Admiral's Penniless Bride and I was going to let the author pass as a fluffy one. But, it’s good that I read Softly Falling, because it has definitely improved my opinion of the author by mammoth proportions!

First and foremost, the cover does not do justice to the book, so a piece of advice: don’t judge the book by its cover! Secondly, the blu
Rachel Neumeier
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was the third of the Carla Kelly books I've read, and my favorite so far.

The primary protagonist here is Lily Carteret, whose father is British and mother was from Barbados. She’s an unwanted poor relation in her uncle’s house, so when the uncle marries, he sends her to her father, who has a job on a cattle ranch in Wyoming (this is in 1886).

I liked Lily a lot. She’s complex in all the best ways – resolute, kind, intelligent, competent. Of course she’s a little too good to be true, but tha
OLT
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I just realized I don't have any of my old Amazon reviews of Carla Kelly books here on Goodreads, so here goes one from several years ago.

(Dagnabit, Carla Kelly! I know you are manipulating my feelings as I read this and it still chokes me up.)

My favorite HRs take place in England. (That's a puzzle, what with my German-American background, but life is strange.) Carla Kelly, our U.S. national treasure as an HR writer, used to do a lot of Regencies, but her more recent novels have moved back to th
Luli
3.5 stars.
No ha estado mal, pero tampoco me ha encantado. Me ha resultado demasiado lenta en cuanto al romance, no pasa nada casi hasta el final del libro, y no hay nada de atracción o tensión, todo pasa casi de puntillas y porque tiene que pasar, no porque deseen que pase…no sé si tiene sentido lo que digo!
A pesar de que los protagonistas son maravillosos los he encontrado demasiado perfectos, y la historia, en general, un poquito empalagosa. Todos intentan ser (o son) bellísimas personas y lo
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
Originally posted here with an ebook giveaway.

This is the third book from this author I've read and I've enjoyed them all. I'm so glad that Softly Falling did not disappoint. It was a sweet story about hardship, finding ones backbone and self, second chances, learning to forgive, and finding love in unexpected places. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and would definitely recommend it to sweet romance readers.

I appreciated that the romance wasn't the focal point of the story, although it definitel
[̲̅ρ̲̅υ̲̅и̲̅y̲̅α̲̅]
Softly Falling wasn't an easy book to read. No, it wasn't Ms. Kelly's writing style but the story itself, which was quite grim and chilling.

Lily, a mulatto girl bread as an English lady, comes to Wyoming in search of her errant English father. She's exiled here by her own titled uncle largely due to the color of her skin, also because of her father's "shameful" past aka marrying a woman of color when he was in Barbados. Upon arriving in the USA, Lily is quite bombarded with several bad news. On
Darlene
Lovely, sweet romance about strong, good people surviving under the harshest of winter conditions. Boy howdy, did this book make me glad I live in Florida! Just reading about a killer Wyoming winter chilled me to the bone.

Carla Kelly's books aren't about dukes (most of the time) or spies or vampires, they're about ordinary people who reaffirm one's faith in the basic goodness of humanity. She writes wonderful tales about people who could live next door or down the lane or be our ancestors, and s
Susan K
Nov 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had to finally write a review.
Romance, clean; period
Definitely dealing with an interesting part of American History and culture. Ranch/range life and an English woman come to find her father and find him drunk and failed again at his most recent venture. She pulls herself together, and with Jack Sinclair and the other hands and workers on the ranch, she gets a plan, and finds her heart with Jack.
Lovely, heart-wrenching, and poignant as they face daily struggles of life on the range set post Ci
Melissa
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
This reminded me of a previous book by Kelly called my Loving Vigil Keeping. It had the same historical feel and the serious life or death stuff Kelly likes to write about and does a very good job. She pulls you in and you love the characters and keeps it having enough humor that you aren't feeling depressed as you read. The love stories I wish were a little more purposeful instead of thrown together type things, it's almost an afterthought of the love interests. But I still love it. This was mo ...more
Alissa
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Carla Kelly knows how to write historical fiction!! She is so good at putting me right into the middle of whatever event in history she is writing about. I knew nothing about the winter of 1886, one of the harshest winters recorded in North American history, which caused a huge loss of livestock in Wyoming. You might want to bundle up in a blanket and fix yourself a cup of hot chocolate before you begin this one.
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounding up

This book fits the "Carla Kelly" mold perfectly. By that I mean that it had all the things I have come to expect from her writing and her books. There were no nonsense main characters, lots of historical background and a very slow growing, barely even there romance.

Lily Branson is a girl that knows heartache and disappointment yet she doesn't let it rule her life or how she treats others. Lily has spent her life at the mercy of extended family and is now, after years and years apa
Rhode
Oct 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historic-fiction
A new Carla Kelly book, especially one about the old west, is something to celebrate. This is one of her best.

Set in the infamously hard winter of 1886-7, it makes you feel simultaneously grateful for modern conveniences and the sheer wealth of our lives here in the USA now, with hot water on demand and fully stocked supermarkets, as well as fat and soft compared to our recent ancestors.

The story includes insights into what life was like for civil war vets from the losing side, how investors'
Ashley
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
I was bored for the first 100 pages. It picked up, but overall was not the satisfying fluff read I have come to expect from Carla Kelly. I'm convinced this book did not receive much editorial attention of any kind. There were so many silly inconsistencies, pacing should have been better with an overall reduction in length of at least 50 pages, and the typos, oh the typos!! Ah, but perhaps I expect too much.
Hessie
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. It's mostly historical with a little romance mixed in and outstanding characters which is why I love it and highly recommend it. Some of Lily's attitudes seem a tiny bit anachronistic to me but maybe I'm way off . It's really a 4.5 star rating if possible. I didn't feel the pacing was bad at all. Perfect and highly recommended.
Anna
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Some of the historical parts of this book were very painful to read, but the romance was rather sweet and not so heavy handed as it sometimes is in this genre.
Haley
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Another great one from Carla Kelly. Such an easy read and I couldn't stop.
Vivienne
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Lily Carteret, brought up in England by an unwilling uncle, is packed off to America to her father’s ranch in Wyoming Territory in 1886 when her uncle becomes engaged. What greets her on arrival does not surprise her; Miss Lily Carteret is quite a gal. I fell in love with her in the Prologue and loved her to the end. Miss Carteret becomes a teacher on the ranch with four children her pupils, three of whom are the widowed cook’s children, Nick, Amelie and Chantal, and the fourth, Luella, the daug
HR-ML
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: western
Wyoming territory 1886. Thanks to Vivienne for
recommending this Kindle book!

Featured Jack, a Southern son of a sharecropper & Lily
a woman sent my her rich uncle from England to the
US to her 'shell of a man' father. Jack served as ranch
foreman. Her father worked for the ranch owner. Jack
knew the local ranchers bought too many cattle and
overgrazed & this would result in sadness during the
hard winter. Jack owned a small spread with 2 cows &
a prized bull w/ a faithful Mexican overs
Amanda
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
DemetraP
Mar 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Very well written romance, but it was slow build and after all that build up, everything is closed door. Seriously, it's one sentence, something like, they became husband and wife in truth, or something like that.

Also, some of the things that happened to the animals when it was so cold and a blizzard out there were heartbreaking and very upsetting. It was awful to read about, and I don't think it had any place in a romance novel.
Amy
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Something of a romance but mostly a historical western set in the 1860's in Wyoming.
The author did a great job unveiling the characters slowly but steadily. The setting was very well done. The pace was rather slow but the story was well crafted.
No swearing, no sex scenes (although a vague mention or two), some violent death scenes mostly of animals but a few humans get dead too. Themes of racial prejudice, alcoholism, child abuse/neglect.
Barbara Petty
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My opinion

I have always enjoyed historical romance. That are descriptive and information. I enjoy Carla's books because they encompass those things. Without so much sexual description that it is embarrassing. No bad language. But very enjoyable reading. I would suggest any and all of her books, for any one's library.
Alicia
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
If you are into Historical Fiction this one was a pretty good read. I liked Lily's character, and the way her presence changed everything on the ranch. But as far as the love story goes, it left a lot to be desired (though let's be honest, was probably more realistic to the time and circumstances).
Lewestover
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hard times bring out the true character of people. An extremely harsh winter in Wyoming in 1886 definitely qualifies as hard times, especially if you are a beautiful young mulatto out in the world on your own for the very first time. Lily Carteret discovers her own resilience and love that she has
not experienced since early childhood.
Judy
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Having been eagerly awaiting the Kindle version of "Softly Falling," I downloaded the book as soon as it became available on Kindle. I. Absolutely. Relished. The. Read.

Story Background:
Our lovely lady, Lily Carteret is the product of an English gentleman, Clarence Carteret, and the granddaughter of a woman born into slavery, but eventually freed by Lily's grandfather, an apothecary in Barbados. Lily's mother died when she was a young girl, whereupon her father left Barbados and returned to the f
Allison
Jun 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Easy to read. A little too predictable and romantic. I did like reading about snow storms when it was 90+ degrees F outside. I didn't realize how into the book I got until I went outside and felt strange because it was so warm! I liked the characters and story line.
Chloe
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good book, but I don't know if I would call it romance. The story was good and the romance was kind of an afterthought.
Ashton Widdison
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this author’s works. This was wonderful.

• A Timeless Romance Anthology: Mail Order Bride Collection
  • Mile 21
  • Christmas in Snow Valley  (Snow Valley Romance Anthologies, #1)
  • Searching for Irene
  • Longing for Home (Longing for Home #1)
  • How Much Do You Love Me?
  • Where the River Once Flowed
  • Heart's Journey
  • Painting Kisses
  • The Wrangler's Inconvenient Wife (Wyoming Legacy, #4)
  • The Marshal's Ready-Made Family (Prairie Courtships, #2)
  • Lord Fenton's Folly
  • Full Court Devotion (Christmas in Snow Valley #3)
  • To Win a Lady's Heart
  • Pierced by Love

Although Carla Kelly is well known among her readers as a writer of Regency romance, her main interest (and first writing success) is Western American fiction—more specifically, writing about America's Indian Wars. Although she had sold some of her work before, it was not until Carla began work in the National P