Start by marking “Sophia” as Want to Read:

Sophia

Small-town Sophia Spencer can’t believe her luck when an unexpected inheritance allows her to experience London’s social scene. But her happiness disappears when she is caught napping in a grumpy gentleman’s room—and forced into an engagement to protect her reputation! Personalities collide and love blooms in this stunning debut novel.
Published October 14th 2014 by Cedar Fort Publishing & Media (first published October 12th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Sophia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sophia

Start your review of Sophia
Katie W
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sophia is such a down-to-earth girl. She was raised as a lady, yet grew up as a country doctor's daughter. When her grandmother passes away and gives her a hefty inheritance, she makes her way to London to have a season. Under the care of her aunt, she spends a lot of time whirling around society. After only a few days, she finds herself completely exhausted and ends up taking a nap at a ball--in a man's room! Caught in a compromising situation, she soon discovers that there are only two options ...more
Kathy
I was first drawn to this one because of the cover, so pretty! It didn’t hurt that it’s also a regency, which is a favorite genre for me.

Sophia Spencer is a country girl, raised away from society and unable to afford a season she has accepted her life for what it is. When a distant aunt dies and leaves her a sizeable inheritance she is finally given the opportunity to have a season and possibly find a husband. She goes to London and stays with another family member, one who is not happy with th
Melanie
Oct 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
First of all, I love the cover! Sophia heads to London when she receives an inheritance she definitely wasn't expecting. Her father is a country doctor and her mother has passed away. She's a small-town girl that doesn't understand the ways of London. Her aunt takes her under her wing and they attend a lot of social events. She gets tired at one of them and is shown a room in which to take a nap. It turns out to be a gentleman's bedroom (Alex) and when he comes in, they are caught in a compromis ...more
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Oct 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-for-review
This book is one in the Pure Romance line from Cedar Fort. Basically this means that they are squeaky clean and focus more on the romance of it all, which I LOVE.

Sophia may be from a small country town, but she has been taught and educated in all the ways of a lady. One thing Sophia does know is that her mother and father loved each other very much. She is looking to have that same kind of love in her life. When Sophia unexpectedly inherits money from her estranged grandmother she is thrown int
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
Personal rating: 3.5
Sophia is a beautiful young woman who has grown to be loving and carefree but when a family member unexpectedly passes away and leaves her with a big inheritance, her easy country life fades as she takes a life changing season trip to London. While attending another exhausting ball, she is mistakingly caught sleeping on a sofa in a chamber owned by a young man which leaves rumors spreading about and leads to some bewildering consequences.

This was pretty much the first 'romanc
Meagan Myhren-bennett
By Paula Kremser

Sophia is a delightful story that fans of Jane Austen and Regency Era Romance will love. This is a book that you won't be embarrassed to be caught reading (it is garbage free).

When Sophia is left an inheritance by her estranged grandmother Lady Atkinson she is delighted at her sudden good fortune, And when she has an opportunity to experience a London season she is almost beside herself with anticipation.

But when an innocent mistake traps Sophia in a scandal that could dest
Tiffany
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fun, lighthearted and the characters were all distinct, interesting and realistic. Not a very long book and the story was predictable, but I enjoyed the unexpected little turns Paula Kremser added. The lines did get a little sugary for my taste at the end. All in all, I enjoyed it and would enjoy it again.
Chrissy
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I picked this up a year ago and started it and put it down. When I picked it up again, I really enjoyed it. Maybe my mood? I don't know. I thought it took a few chapters for me to like Sophia but she is a likable character and loved the happy ending.
Alyssa
Aug 09, 2014 marked it as to-read
MUST READ!! The cover reminds me of My Fair Lady!!
Amberly
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lovely clean romance. Loved it!
Anna
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
A cute romance that made me smile.
Cheryal
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Perfect clean, romantic Regency novel! Bought it in paperback as well as my kindle to keep around.
Alli
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sophia written by Paula Kremser is about learning to sacrifice for others, even if it is the opposite of what you want. Sophia wanted a fairytale love story but when found in Alexander Huntly’s bed chamber must marry him not for love but to save her name and his. So Sophia tries to live with a fake engagement but soon discovers feelings that were never part of the plan, then Alex saves Sophia with a surprise.

In my opinion Sophia is definitely worth reading. This proper romance novel draws you
Louie Halfacre
Average

Aunt Nora set up Sophia by putting her in Huntley's Room. They would be found together and have to marry. Nora would then get the inheritance because Sophia married without getting approval by her Executor. I always liked this scenario in the Regency novels. If you saw a female you liked who had a large dowry all you had to do was compromise her by any means, you see her at a ball, dinner or walking down the street and hug her and kiss her. Presto, you and she will have to marry and you t
Camille
May 31, 2018 marked it as unfinished
Only a few chapters in and although the plot's premise seems intriguing the writing style is annoying me; it's so weak and far too telling, not to mention it's also riddled with info-dumps, head-hopping, and flat, emotionless characters. Perhaps I'm just more sensitive to such issues considering I'm a writer myself? In any case, I'm setting this aside for now. Perhaps I'll return to it at a later time because the plot does seem fun, but for now, I have far too many other books I'm eager to read ...more
Daisy Dandelion
Jan 23, 2017 rated it liked it
While the story of this book was cute and the Regency setting appealed to me, I was not very impressed.
I think the issue with this book was with the editing. Several spots did not flow. Numerous sentences made zero sense.
All in all, it was still a fun quick read, and I plan to read more books by this author.
Susan
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Young and naive, Sophia is thrown into a dishonorable situation not of her making. Abruptly, running away from the wedding, Sophia becomes Alexander Huntly's project to protect and to convince her that marriage is the only option. Falling in love makes the decision for them--even before Sophia's inheritance is settled.
Desiree
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick but enjoyable read for me. Sometimes the h was just so dense I wanted to give her a good shake to wake her up but I was still rooting for her. A great twist in the story. I was wondering how'd it all end. I liked the H and his friends. Sometimes I wished for more detail but this was a shorter story so that is to be ecpected. the story wasn't lacking I just wanted more!
Mary Gallo
Sep 19, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Historical accuracy is wrong

Sophia's aunt states that Sopsia is old enough to get married, but she is only 18. The age of consent at that time was 21. This caused problems bcz girls under 21 could be forced into weddings. Only their guardian or parents could let them get married before age 21. I stopped reading in disgust.
Maddie
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute and fast romance. I honestly thought there would have been a little more conflict with the inheritance. Sophia was somewhat annoying, meek and shy in one instance and sort of race the next. But love happened all the same :)
Rebecca
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
This book was interesting enough that I finished it and I liked the characters. I didn't feel that the writing itself was very strong, however. I could see the motivations of the characters, but the writing didn't really help me feel very connected to them.
Heather
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Fun story but I couldn't figure out where it fit in the 1800s. A lot seemed like a regency romance but other part didn't seem to fit.
Cynthia
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent, very picturesque, believable characters, great romance. A bit predictable
Heidi Pack
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
sweetheart heroine, naive but intelligent. I loved this book!
Tammy
Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Had a similar storyline of the last 2 proper romances I had read, but I really enjoyed it.
Heather Chapman
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this! Such a refreshing plot, clean writing, and captivating characters!
Kelly
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Sophia is a book that will have you sighing at the end. It is a short and clean look at the time when how much money you had meant everything how easily gossip could spread and when you found out you were not within propriety.

Sophia is the daughter of a country doctor. Her mother and sister died in childbirth. Sophia was raised with proper education and was a very naïve and forgiving girl. Her mother’s sister was selfish and spent whatever money to get where she could in society. Her grandmothe
Patti
Jun 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Apparently “Sophia” is the first book by author Paula Kremser. I liked the premise, I loved the English setting, and I love the Regency time period. Pretty much checks off all the favorite boxes of my reading interests. I think it was a good effort – I liked it! 3 1/2 stars from me.

The story is of young Sophia Spencer who goes to London for her first ‘season’, courtesy of her estranged aunt, Lady Nora. Lady Nora gets Sophia in a social life or death situation by letting her rest in the supposedl
Donna
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vintage-romance
Great!

A very enjoyable novel. I liked how neither cared about societies rules but that their concern for each other's consequences governed their actions. I only wished for a better wrap up at the end. I felt like a few small details were left hanging.
Miriam
Dec 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, kindle
The main characters were sympathetic, and the plot had some interesting twists, although Sophia is pretty naive when she starts out. I felt that the writing was fairly weak; there was a lot of exposition in the beginning. But for a first book I thought it wasn't bad, and it was an enjoyable read overall.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Rescuing Lord Inglewood (Inglewood #1)
  • The Gentleman's Deception
  • Promised
  • The Earl's Betrothal
  • The Lady and the Highwayman
  • The Fairest Heart (Once Upon a Regency #1)
  • Flame and Ember (Regency Love #1)
  • Lies and Letters
  • Miss Grimsley's Oxford Career
  • Eleanor
  • An Unwelcome Suitor (Entangled Inheritance #4)
  • The Matrimonial Advertisement (Parish Orphans of Devon #1)
  • The Earl's Daughter: A Regency Romance (Regency Brides: A Promise of Love Book 4)
  • The Heart of a Vicar (The Jonquil Brothers #6)
  • Wyndcross (Families of Dorset, #1)
  • Road to Rosewood
  • Solving Sophronia (The Blue Orchid Society #1)
  • The Work of Art
Paula Kremser focused on a career in science for a few years after graduating from Brigham Young University. Several years later when she moved with her young family to England, Paula seized the opportunity to focus on her love of the Regency Era. The enchantment of the aristocracy and the fascinating stories from every stately home she visits have been both research and inspiration for her first ...more

News & Interviews