Start by marking “Elixir” as Want to Read:

Read Excerpt

Elixir

Meet 14-year-old Sean Malone. He has an IQ above 200, a full-ride scholarship to one of the country’s top universities, and more than one million dollars from his winning streak on Jeopardy. However, Sean wishes he could just be normal.

But his life is anything but normal. The US government manipulates him, using him as a codebreaker in pursuit of a drug lord and killing in
Published August 1st 2014 (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Elixir, please sign up.
Taylor I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. I do not believe the book was actually published at the time. You could try aga…moreI received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. I do not believe the book was actually published at the time. You could try again on Nook, or contact the author, who seemed really nice, as he may have a certain way for you to purchase/receive it.(less)

Start your review of Elixir
xrysa
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Arc kindly provided by the author in exchange of an honest review

Kick a$$ debut from Ted Galdi. Elix is a very well written book and obviously well edited. One of my few complaints about this book was the fact that some chapters weren’t long enough.

The plot
Our hero,Sean, is the winner of Jeapardy! and the smartest kid in the world. Truth be told, being at the top is lonely. Sean during his whole life is trying to find someone or something smarter and better than himself. However, his efforts ar
Jane Jago
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this. It's what I would call a boy's book, being intensely masculine in its point of view. That is not to say that it is in any way anti-woman as women are treated with tenderness throughout. It is simply my reaction to the book.

A good read and a good story
Robin (Bridge Four)
Jul 15, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: sci-fi, ya
Before I start my review of this book I’m just going to preface a few things that contributed to why it didn’t work for me.

I’ve been steering away from YA because I haven’t really liked many books in that genre lately. I lose patience early with young characters and have a hard time connecting recently. I also don’t read a lot of Sci-Fi because I have a degree in Chemistry with a minor in Math and Physics and usually I find something that is just horribly wrong with most books in this genre. Let
Amber
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was given a free copy of this ebook in exchange for an honest review.
Sean Malone is the smartest person on earth. Ever since he appeared on the game show Jeopardy! , he has been hounded by others to answer trivia questions. All he wants is a normal life. He gets it when he solves a very hard math question which attracts the attention of the NSA. To stay safe he goes under the FBI's witness protection program with his aunt at age 14. Several years have passed and Sean who is now 1 8 falls in lo
Aditi
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
They say, "Intelligent Men are dangerous". Or is it? Ted Galdi, a 29-year old debut author has portrayed otherwise in his new novel, Elixir. He has not followed the traditional way of making super intelligent man as the most dangerous species, instead he has presented him as the life-savior, a genius on whom nature might have given some extra brownie points to make living of other less fortunate human beings better. This may be Ted Galdi's debut novel, but it feels like he is really a pro and q ...more
Dustin
Jul 23, 2014 rated it liked it

I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

Self-published author Ted Galdi graduated from Duke University, where he acquired a background in film, and the various forms it has taken over the years. Through my brief conversation with him, the author seemingly absorbed and applied several literary techniques throughout the writing of his debut novel, Elixir.

Sean Malone is an 11-year-old Jeopardy! contestant, and with an IQ of approximately 250, his sheer wealth of knowledge at fir
Jola
May 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Review also on www.jolasbookshelf.wordpress.com

'Elixir' is a nice debut novel by Ted Galdi. It has an interesting premise. The action sequences weren't badly written and I found myslef enjoying them.
My only complaint is that I'd like other characters, beside Sean, to be more developed. I liked the world presented in the story and the suthor's style, so I'll look forward to read his other works.

Thanks to Ted Galdi for sending me an ebook of his novel!
Thank you to the author, Ted Galdi, for gifting me with a copy of Elixir in exchange for an honest review!

You know, I've always been fascinated by intelligence. What causes it and the people who seem to have higher than normal intelligence. It's always been very interesting to me so it's no surprise that I loved this book. Granted, there were a few rough spots but it's all water under the bridge.

When I started reading this book, it gripped me and didn't let me go until the last sentence. I riske
Miodrag ★❥
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Now you can find this review on My Blog too!

*I got this book free from author to rate/review*

Elixir is Ted Galdi's first novel and now me after reading it, I can't wait to see what he will come up with next. This book is beyond good. I loved it!
STARS: 5+

This book was really something!

I divided this book in three parts and I will review it like that. (I will not do whole recap of the book, I will just say some important [but not all] things that happened, but those are just some little parts, you
Janet Hecht
Jun 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I received an advanced copy of this book from the author via Goodreads in exchange for an honest review.

Overall, Exilir is a good debut novel with an interesting premise and I look forward to reading future works by the author.

Exilir is a thriller involving Sean Malone who is a genius with an IQ of over 200 (off the charts). At the age of 11 he became a millionaire from his winnings on Jeopardy. At the age of 14 Sean is attending college and inadvertently solves an “unsolvable” computer hacking
Terri
May 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-authors
Introducing... Ted Galdi! Do NOT forget this name because, if his debut novel "Elixir" is any indication, Galdi is a name you will see on Bestseller & TopTen lists often!

"Elixir" grabbed a hold of me from the vey beginning when we're introduced to 12 year old wunderkind, Sean Malone, who is literally the smartest person in the world. At the beginning, Galdi begins to take you on a journey of a boy struggling to fit into a world that he doesn't fit into. You would be forgiven if you think that th
Lauren
Jun 15, 2014 rated it did not like it
I was given a free (PDF) copy of this book in exchange for a review.

In retrospect that was probably a mistake on the part of the author. Thrillers are not my favorite genre but I was in the mood so I figured I would give it a go.

I started out annoyed because the PDF wouldn't convert to EPUB so I could read this on my reader, strike one but not the author's fault. I almost wonder if that was on purpose so it would be more difficult to highlight passages.

The premise of the story is okay, a litt
Mitsy
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Yes! Sean Malone is a 14-year-old genius who gets himself in trouble with the wrong people and literally has to leave the country. He spends four years in Italy, where he falls in love with Natasha. When Natasha becomes seriously ill, he risks everything to save her. I love Sean's transformation from beginning to end. Natasha is great. I love how this story's written. Exciting YA novel. I'd love a sequel. ...more
Sara Val
Sean Malone is a young genius. With an IQ over 200, he has the capacity to solve even the most difficult problems. However, this intelligence led him to danger, forcing him to move to Rome for his safety. There he meets the love of his life, who becomes critically ill. His intelligence is the only thing that might save her; for love, he'd solve it all.

I won't lie to you: I read about half the book and just quickly skimmed the rest. I had been looking forward to reading Elixir and seeing how the
Caru
Jun 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
**I received an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!**

Rating: ★★★★☆

My Opinion Of This Book: It was really entertaining, but it had a few flaws!
_____________________________________________________

Let's Meet The Characters!
Sean Malone: Our protagonist is Sean Malone/ James. He's very, very, very intelligent; in fact, he's the smartest person ever with an IQ over 200.
I liked Sean's character. I thought I wouldn't be able to relate to him since he's a freaking geniu
Michelle
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I had not heard of Elixir before, so when I was contacted to possibly read and review the book after some research I said yes. The synopsis is intriguing, and mysterious, and made me wonder what cure would Sean need to find and how would he find it.
Elixir

I loved the first chapter of Elixir, it gives a great example of what Sean is really capable of, he is on mastermind and beating everyone by miles and making so much money. Some of the questions asked I had no idea about myself, and just seeing
Rachel
Jun 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Review-

***The author sent me this book in exchange for an honest review. The author in no way influenced this review.***

Describe this book in one sentence- A boy, who just happens to be the smartest person on earth, finds himself while searching for the cure to an "incurable" disease.

Rating- PG-13

Why this rating?- Destruction of property, violence, and mild kissing.

For ages- 16-35

Recommended to- Fans of Divergent and YA Mysteries.

Stars- Three and a half out of Five.

Why this number of stars-

The C
Emma Andje
I really did not like this book. I am sorry to admit this, especially since the author was so kind to have sent me a copy of this in the mail to review.

Let me start out with what I did enjoy, though. I liked the concept of the book, hence the reason why I requested it. Second, I think it was smart of the author to have used the third person point of view, because it would be next to impossible to get inside someone's head who is supposedly "the smartest person in the world." The only problem th
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
Jun 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
***I received the eBook free as a review copy from the author in exchange for an honest review***

For once I don’t really have much to say! To be honest I didn’t like this book, and it’s not so much because of the book itself (which sounds crazy I know) and I’m sure any other day I might have loved it; but stuck in a book slump, Elixir just didn’t hold my interest. The first 150 pages or so were exactly like the synopsis says, so in a way it felt repeated. Granted it was time to connect with char
Miriam
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If I could give this book more than 5 stars, I would. Not since "The Goldfinch" has a book kept me up so late at night! The difference between this book and "Goldfinch" is that this book never wavered in its suspense and focus.
The author created a very likeable character in
Sean Malone.
We are introduced to Sean as a 14 year old contestant who is competing on "Jeopardy," Turns out that Sean is a genius, in fact, he is the most intelligent person in the world.
We are taken on a wild journey with th
Kim
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley, kindle, 2014
Sean is a 14 year old boy with a very high IQ. He won a lot of money on Jeopardy. He really just wants a normal life and to be a normal teenager. He is framed for a crime he didn't do and put into a witness protection programme and moves abroad.

He falls in love with a girl who becomes seriously ill- and he needs to use his intelligence to save her life. This leads to a new twist in the story.

Really enjoyed this one and would look out for more by this promising author.

Received from Net Galley.
Heather
Jun 13, 2014 rated it liked it
The first half of the book was very slow and jumpy. It was very hard to follow and you were wondering what on earth was going on. I didn't really connect with any of the characters so that kind of made me shy away from it as well. I really enjoyed the concept of the novel however and my favorite part was the last 20% honestly. So glad it had a happy ending but it could've been more interesting during the first half. ...more
Lee
Aug 24, 2014 rated it liked it
This had the feel of a YA movie...teenager Sean that might be the smartest person on the planet....falls in love.....figures out a cure to save her life....... But, in between all of this, was an eighteen year old ordering Vodka drinks in a bar **guess that's legal in Italy** and getting pretty smashed. That pretty much ended the YA feel for me. Some nice action, in this decent debut.
Thanks, Ted for sending me a copy.
Tulay
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gripping story.

Captivating page turner about identity, secrets and love. Very good hopeful ending. But in real life drug, insurance and hospital company making billions won't be happy.
Rosemary
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of coming-of-age thrillers for YAs.
Elixir - a review by Rosemary Kenny

With shades of A Simple Mind, or The Theory of Everything, Elixir is certainly not your common-or-garden YA thriller, as the brilliant storyteller Ted Galdi soon reveals. A fast paced narrative is enhanced with brief sentences and a reasonable number of well-written and engaging characters in an almost stream-of-consciousness narrative over a 4 year time-frame.

14 year old boy genius Sean Malone's life is turned upside down, when he wins the Jeopardy tv game sho
Megan
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lauren Stoolfire
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Ted Galdi's first novel entitled Elixir is part YA political thriller, medical mystery, and action-adventure. It's a fast-paced page turner that takes off quickly and holds your interest throughout. Lots of action, adventure, and suspense in this globe-trotting thriller with a teen genius at the helm.

Elixir follows Sean Malone a 14 year-old past Jeopardy! champ with a 250 IQ. As part of an Independent Study for his Computer Sci
Harlee
Aug 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I got a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*
I wanted to make sure I had a very good review of this book, so I took my time and made a few notes along the way. I'll start from the beginning.
My first impression of this book is it starts off a bit choppy. We meet Sean Malone as an 11 year old boy on the Jeopardy! stage. Next page, he's 14. Because of the synopsis, I knew we'd eventually jump to him being 18, and because of how quickly it jumped from 11 to 14, I
Saloni
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Full Review

Elixir is a thrilling book following a genius basically saving the world. The protagonist, Sean Malone, is a brilliant mathematician who has just figured out the formula to hack into anything. With the authorities after him, Sean is forced to change identities and move to Rome.

Four years later in Rome, Sean falls in love, when suddenly his girlfriend gets sick with the Ebola virus and Sean has to relive his past to save his true love.

I really enjoyed this book, more the plot and e
Samuel
Feb 20, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

• Critical Error
  • The Perseid Collapse (The Perseid Collapse, #1)
  • Rewind
  • Blue Masked Hero (Blue Masked Hero #1)
  • The Silent Daughter
  • Opium and Absinthe
  • Cross Her Heart (Bree Taggert, #1)
  • Blood and Justice (Jake and Annie Lincoln, #1)
  • Yesterday's Gone: Season One
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
  • 4 Riverside Close
  • Taste of Fear (John Montclair #1)
  • Shock Collar (Micah Reed #7)
  • Her Final Words
  • Trust No One
  • The Omniverse The Unearthing
  • Sin, Repent, Repeat (Ironash #1)
  • Hard Target (Jon Reznick, #8)
Ted Galdi, an Amazon #1 bestselling author, writes suspenseful, smart crime thrillers. His goal is to get your blood and brain pumping when you read his novels and short stories.

He's been featured by Kirkus magazine, ABC, FOX, iHeartRadio, and many other media outlets. He’s a winner of a Reader Views Reviewers Choice Award and a Silver Medal in the Readers' Favorite Book Awards. Ted is a graduate

News & Interviews