Start by marking “The Empire Strikes Back - So You Want to Be a Jedi?” as Want to Read:
The Empire Strikes Back - So You Want to Be a Jedi?

The Empire Strikes Back - So You Want to Be a Jedi? (Star Wars Illustrated Novels #2)

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  1,409 Ratings  ·  290 Reviews
So you want to be a Jedi?

It seems cool. You can move things with your mind. Control people with your thoughts. Oh, and the lightsabers. Yeah, those are awesome. But it's not all mind control and weaponized flashlights. Being a Jedi is hard work. Also, there are bad guys. Lots of bad guys. Who want to kill you.

Do you still want to be a Jedi?

Well, this book tells the tale of
Published September 22nd 2015 by Disney Lucasfilm Press (first published July 21st 2015)

Quinn I recommend it but if you have basic knowledge of the Star Wars timeline you should be completely fine if you read the books out of order. I also had…moreI recommend it but if you have basic knowledge of the Star Wars timeline you should be completely fine if you read the books out of order. I also had trouble finding all three books since they all have different authors and different titles to the movies.(less)

April (Aprilius Maximus)
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
I still don't understand why this had to be in second person. It was just weird. But it got better as the book went on!
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Amount read: The prologue and a couple sentences of the first chapter

THIS FUCKING BOOK IS IN SECOND PERSON *hurls book across room (only not really because I don't want to break my iPod*

Alright, I'm calmer now. Perhaps I should have seen this coming, considering that the title is in second person, but I thought that was just an attempt to be funny and get people to buy the book. Nope. You will be asked to believe that you are Luke Skywalker for the entirety of Gidwitz's retelling of The Empire S
Ben
Oct 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015-read
This... this is really bad. It was a struggle to finish it. The second-person point-of-view has never been my favorite, but this was made even worse by the simple fact that the author got so many pivotal moments and dialogue flat out wrong. It's almost as if he was writing from memory, after having watched Empire Strikes Back once as a child, thirty-some-odd years ago.

See if you can read these and not cringe. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard:

"This deal gets worse every second," Lando mutter
Lia
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Disclaimer: I've never watched the movies * ducks from the onslaught of lightsabers *

It feels like this book was written specifically for boys? I hated how he skipped over the "mushy" parts, wrote in second person, and ugh.

Ladies and gentlemen, my oh-so-eloquent review.

UPDATE: I've watched the movies, and holy scruffy looking nerfherders, they were fantastic!!!
Liam
Not really fussed on this one. I shelved this under Childrens in my bookshelves, whereas I didn't shelve A New Hope: The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy there. New Hope felt a lot better done than this one in that it was sort of timeless and could work for any audience - listening to this one, I was very aware that I was listening to a childrens' retelling of Empire.

As with New Hope, sound effects and music and so on were great - the narrator made Luke sound a tad whingier than I expec
Timothy McNeil
I didn't think there could be a worse translation of Star Wars than Bracken's take. I was most assuredly wrong.

I know this is a cash-grab by Disney and that there is a chance that the target age group may not know how unbelievably bad the writing is (which, if we can be honest,is unforgivable given that Gidwitz is telling a story originally and completely written by someone else), but how does it happen that Disney hires authors who simply do not understand the archetypes and imagery used by L
Kate
Jan 02, 2016 rated it liked it
At first, I was not a fan of the 2nd person narrative. But, in the end, it works just fine for the story. My 6 year-old was totally into all the Jedi training segments. He has declared himself a "true Jedi master" now.
Racheli Zusiman
ספר מעולה. בעיקרון מספר את הסיפור של הסרט "האימפריה מכה שנית", אבל לא זו הפואנטה. בין הפרקים שזורות משימות שכביכול מלמדות "איך להיות ג'די", אבל למעשה אלו תרגילים שמאוד מתאימים לילדים שסובלים מבעיות קשב וריכוז, ויסות ריגשי, התמודדות עם תסכולים, ובעצם לכולם. אני חושבת שאתן לבנים שלי לתרגל אותם כל יום. הספר מיועד לילדים, דרך אגב.
Chelsea
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
The only reason it got two stars was because the second-person perspective was suuuuuper annoying.
Jessica (Book_Obsessed_Jess)
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was delightful. It follows my favorite Star Wars movie of EVER.

The Empire Strikes Back is the best of the BEST. FIGHT ME.

Anywho....

I fully recommend this in Audible format. I think it made the whole story come alive even more. 10/10 would recommend to a friend.
Rosa
Aug 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: alakouluikäisille, joita ei yleensä kiinnosta lukeminen
2,5 tähteä

Kuten jo nimen perusteella voi olettaa, tämä teos on nuortenkirjamuotoon tehty sovitus Imperiumin vastaisku -elokuvasta. Tartuin kirjaan, koska sarjan edeltävä osa Uusi toivo: Prinsessa, lurjus ja maalaispoika yllätti positiivisesti erityisesti Antti Hulkkosen erinomaisen suomennoksen ansiosta. Siinä alkuperäisen Star Wars -elokuvan tarinaan on onnistuneesti saatu uutta syvyyttä kertomalla tarina ensimmäisessä persoonassa Leian, Luken ja Hanin näkökulmista.

Haluatko jediksi? -kirjassa t
Gavin Abdollahi
"I am your father."
(Hey, if it were you, could you resist using this?)

So, basically a retelling of The Empire Strikes Back written for kids, filled with funny dialogue and lessons on "how to be a Jedi".
Surprisingly, this was pretty fun.
I noticed that in most of the reviews, people were complaining about the fact that it was told through second person view, not first person.
But, after reading the foreword, and seeing that Mr. Gidwitz wanted to actually put readers in Luke's shoes, I think tha
Reading is my Escape
So You Want to be a Jedi?
This book is a retelling of The Empire Strikes Back and a guide to becoming a Jedi. It is told through Luke Skywalker's point of view, and follows the original book's story line very closely. In between chapters Gidwitz talks directly to the reader giving lessons on meditation and self-control. Gidwitz tells the reader that he (or she) is Luke, so when he tells some parts of the story he says, "but you know this because you are Luke" (or something like that).

If you re
Steve Davala
Oct 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
I couldn't finish the book. I know what it is trying to do, but it wasn't working for me. It had too casual a feel to it, and under no circumstances should the words "awesome" or "cool" appear in the Star Wars universe.

I put up with it for a while, but although the story was supposed to be training young Jedi by telling Luke's story, all of a sudden you'd hear the perspective of Han or Vader or something. It didn't make sense.

I didn't finish it, and maybe this one is for you or your kids, but
Grace
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Actually Rating: 2.5 out of 5 stars

Okay, this wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great either.
The main gripe that I have as well as many other reviewers was the second person perspective. It wasn't really necessary and it confused me a lot.

I did enjoy this book, but not at all quite like the first.
I'm looking forward to the conclusion of this trilogy though.
Luciana
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Me gustó: es sobre Star Wars y el episodio V: "El imperio contraataca".

No me gustó: la forma en que el escritor narra esta historia y los apartados que se encuentran al final de cada capítulo, que contienen las lecciones.

Personalmente, no lo recomiendo.
Christine
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Actual review:

Wow that was hilarious and awesome and had all the true spirit of the movie!
I especially love the scenes where we can see Darth Dad reacting to his little boy; his shoulders tensing when the emperor finds out and then seemingly coming up with a solution... and then when Luke runs away him being sad about it is honestly the best thing ever! Dad just wants his son and it make Vader very human which is good to set up the events of the last book.
Amazing book, I think every MG or YA re

Best Part:
Yoda!
Worst Part: Luke gets a bit whiny
Thoughts Had: I need a Yoda

Conclusion

Continuing the Seri
osoi
the bad
Все без исключения авторские вставки. Если в начале подтрунивание над персонажами казалось забавным, то по прошествии пары глав стало невыносимо читать пассажи вроде «видите это мохнатое пугало? это вовсе не грязный ковер, это Чуи» или «а эта визжащая мусорка – на деле астродроид R2». Легкий стеб над персонажами, какой мог бы выдать любой почитатель франшизы, быстро превратился в пренебрежение. Если эти моменты призваны познакомить с историей в шутливом стиле – то попытка провалилась.

Пове
Emily Sanders
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was so disappointed by this book. The Empire Strikes Back is not only my favorite Star Wars movie but my favorite Movie, period. How Adam Gidwitz was able to transform this story from something that I loved to something I loved putting down is beyond me. Maybe I'm being too harsh. The story it's self is not bad. How could it be, it's Star Wars. The issue I had was that it did not feel like a Star Wars fan wrote it. It lacked the spirit needed to tell this story. The prospective through me off. ...more
Stewart
Dec 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
Oh dear god this was awful. I mean, the first of this YA retelling of the trilogy was flawed, but was at least tolerable enough to finish. Unfortunately, a well-executed audio presentation can't save this turkey, and I gave up after about an hour and a half.

This book, rather than just freshening up the story, reads like a Choose Your Own Adventure book, but without R.A. Montgomery's panache, or any choices.

That is to say that it's in the second person, for the most part. Confoundingly, author A
Stefanie Kellum
Marc Thompson just does such a fantastic job with these audiobooks. The character voices are on point. I liked this one less than the first one though. I'm a big Adam Gidwitz fan, and his signature style was evident throughout, but I would have liked less jedi lessons and more "mushy stuff" with Han and Leia. Then again, I'm not a middle schooler, so it does stay true to its target audience. :) The second person narration takes a little getting used to, but it's not too overly jarring or anythin ...more
This was a fairly accurate retelling. The only thing I have to note, after looking at the other reviews is that this is definitely written for children. Probably low middle grade, and not knowing the author's style going in is probably going to throw some people off. I was familiar with Mr. Gidwitz's style, I've read the first book in his MG series, so I wasn't too surprised. That's the big thing to keep in mind. It is second person, so that makes a little different.
Drew
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, audiobook
I loved this book!!!!! It only took me two days to listen to it! One of my new favorite books! Rtc!(:
Nina Ivanova
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, fandom, sci-fi, children
Ревюто в link: Wanderbook

Първото нещо, което ми направи впечатление, когато отворих книгата, бяха... страхотните илюстрации. Историята е разделена на четири... арки, да го речем така, и началото на всяка от тях е украсено с разкошни цветни илюстрации. Освен тях, има и многобройни черно-бели, по-груби, но все пак изключително симпатични ескизи. Аз по принцип съм фен на книжките с картинки, и тези тук ме оставиха очарована.
Да се върнем обаче към писмената част, която въпреки всичко е по-важната
Enzo
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
So this is story I believe I have read before. Now that I come to think about it I think I saw a movie.
But seriously, this is not a reboot or a rewrite. Its more like a different form of telling a wonderful story. I liken it to those times we sat around a camp fire or a table and told wonderful stories of our past. The story doesn't really change, it just gets told differently maybe with different highlights depending on the teller. Adam Gidwitz had fun with this one. First of all its in second
Aidan J
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was a lot like Star Wars.
Juan Contreras
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. I have watched the movie and everything that happens in the book, happens in the movie. It was a second person view book, I didn't really care. In the book it told us to do stuff like balance things in your head so you can be patient. At the end you were about to join Darth Vader just to be with your father. But then you think of your friends and just fall down and gets saved an. Overall it was good, I cant wait to read the next book.
Charisma Jolly
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, sci-fi
It was an OK book. It was not as good as The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy.

The book did not offer any new things to the plot of Star Wars like Braken's did.

It was the first book that I read in second pov (unless you count the serial killer point of views in the Natural) which was interesting...

I felt that the best character that he wrote about was Han. Though I may be partial because I LOVE for Han with all my being.
Krysztina
Jan 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: one-star
What follows are the things that stuck to mind after I finished this book. It's a rather disjointed attempt of a review. Apologies for that.

While the source material isn't perfect, the fact that no-one bothered to revise this work before it went to print portraying Yoda as a carricature and Han Solo as a jerk for the sake of being a jerk speaks volumes for how little Disney cares about the franchise.

Going by this book's logic, its target audience is not mature enough for the scenes wherein Han a
  • Return of the Jedi - Beware the Power of the Dark Side! (Star Wars: Episode VI)
  • A New Hope - The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy (Star Wars: Episode IV)
  • Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure
  • Ezra's Gamble (Star Wars Rebels)
  • Rise of the Rebels (Star Wars Rebels Chapter Book, #1)
  • Edge of the Galaxy (Star Wars Rebels: Servants of the Empire, #1)
  • Twilight Company (Star Wars: Battlefront, #1)
  • Smuggler's Run: A Han Solo & Chewbacca Adventure
  • Obi-Wan & Anakin #1
  • Life Debt (Star Wars: Aftermath, #2)
  • Home (Magic Thief, #4)
  • Star Wars: Jedi Academy, Return of the Padawan (Jedi Academy, #2)
  • Unstoppable Octobia May
  • Zombie Baseball Beatdown
  • The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary (Star Wars)
  • Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel (Star Wars)
To read my bio and learn more about me, and find a FAQ, visit:
More about Adam Gidwitz

Star Wars Illustrated Novels (3 books)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Third Kingdom (Sword of Truth Book 13)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Pillars of Creation (Sword of Truth, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Severed Souls (Sword of Truth)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Phantom (Sword of Truth, #10)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The First Confessor: The Legend of Magda Searus (Richard and Kahlan)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Confessor (Sword of Truth, #11)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Faith of the Fallen (Sword of Truth, #6)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Naked Empire (Sword of Truth, #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Debt of Bones (Sword of Truth)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Warheart: Sword of Truth - The Conclusion (Richard and Kahlan)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Omen Machine (Richard and Kahlan, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chainfire (Sword of Truth, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)