Start by marking “A New Hope - The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy (Star Wars)” as Want to Read:
A New Hope - The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy (Star Wars)

A New Hope - The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy

(Star Wars Disney Canon Junior Novel)

The galaxy is at war.

Although the Rebel Alliance has won a few battles against the Empire, hope is fading. The Empire is about to unveil the greatest weapon the galaxy has ever seen--the Death Star. The Rebels' only chance to defeat it now lies in the unlikely hands of a princess, a scoundrel, and a farm boy....
Published September 22nd 2015 by Disney Lucasfilm Press

Start your review of A New Hope - The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy (Star Wars)
Alexandra Bracken
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Hi guys! I'm so excited to share this story with you and the young readers in your life :) For more information about how I'm re-adapting the classic story, the sources/material I used to do so, and my thoughts about the cover, head over to my site: http://www.alexandrabracken.com/?p=1769 ...more
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

How in the world could I miss this? It's Alexandra Bracken and freaking Starwars for Pete sake!

I shall stalk my postman without shame.
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Jan 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
*3.5 stars* - SUCH FUN

Around the Year in 52 Books Challenge Notes:
- 37. A book you've seen the movie, but haven't read the book (I know this is kinda cheating but there was literally nothing else to choose!)
Emma
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
I think this is the first time I've ever given a book less than three stars. If there was a half star feature, this book would get 2 1/2 stars. That might be harsh, but I had so many issues with this book. I don't think it's fair to give it three stars only because it is a Star Wars story. My main issue is that this is a middle grade book written down to the readers. Alexandra Bracken dumbed down her writing for the audience, but it only made the characters seem immature.

Leia became the stereot
Theresa
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!!! It was such a great read, especially if you've seen the movie it just adds so much to the story. Alex is one of my favorite authors, and she literally nails it every time. I've never read one of her books yet and disliked it. Loved this! I also teared up a little at the end !
Jaclyn
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
SO MUCH FUN!!! If you love Star Wars, you've gotta pick this one up! Loved this adaptation of A New Hope!
Nina {ᴡᴏʀᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ}
HELL YES. Bought this yesterday--must read undoubtedly, written by one of my favourite authors and also a tie in of one of my favourite movie series ever! SO most definitely yes! (Though I did not the simple style of writing, which I think seems to be aimed at a young audience, but nonetheless I will read it because I love the moviessss!

U P D A T E - 27/12/2015

How can this not be 5 stars? Love this novelization a lot!

This was my first novelisation of the Star Wars series. I've read others from t
Grace
Nov 07, 2017 rated it liked it
So...
who hasn't seen Star Wars?
*raises hand in embarrassment*

Okay, Okay - listen up!
I've ALWAYS wanted to watch Star Wars! If you know me very well, you'd know I'm a sucker for science fiction and heroic stories! But when Star Wars was big when I was younger, I wasn't allowed to watch it (because I was little and it was violent for a 6 year old to watch, BUT I BEGGED TO WATCH IT AT 6 YEARS OLD!)

As time went on, I forgot about my urge to watch Star Wars.

Then The Force Awakens hype happens.

Everyon
Sarah Amelia
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really good!! It's Star Wars so of course I loved it. Really cool reading from Leia, Han, and of course Luke's point of view. I can't choose a favorite POV. It helped me pick up on things I hadn't picked up from the movie.
Jerry
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
We all know the story of Star Wars: A New Hope...but this novel adaptation brings the classic tale to life like never before! All fans of Lucas' space opera should definitely check this out; after reading it, you'll never watch the very first Star Wars film the same way again!
Stefanie Kellum
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-kids
First off...I listened to the audiobook of this, and I'm so glad I did. I think I would have enjoyed the book, but the Star Wars music and sound effects and incredible voice talents on this are AMAZING!

As for the content, I loved the insight you get into each of these three main characters. Like many people, I've been a ginormous Star Wars fan for longer than I can remember, and I thought I knew these characters pretty well. However, this delved even more into the minds of Leia, Han, and Luke.
Hope
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, sci-fi
Oh. My. Goodness.
Review to come. Soon. Er, soonish.
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)

The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy purports to be a retelling of a New Hope. Mostly, it feels like a novelization, but there are a few things that Bracken added that are, to my limited knowledge, original to her. However, any scene that was in the movie, which is a lot of them, directly recounts what happened in the film.

Initially, I was quite liking this, because it opens with Leia’s third person POV, and it’s basically about what a boss bitch Leia is. Most of what happens i
Ivy
This book was chosen for me by Amberly for the A Million More Pages POFM - September 2017.

The Princess

Enjoyed Leia's story. Glad to see more of her motivations and to be able to get into her head. Sad that her planet and all of her people died. Wonder how it would be to be a princess.

The Scoundrel

Ha'd story was very interesting. Liked seeing more of his and Cheese's relationship. Glad to see how he met Luke, Leia, Obi-Wan, and the droids. RIP Obi-Wan Kenobi. You will be missed. Also glad to se
Erin Lynn
This review was originally published on my blog, The Hardcover Lover. I'd love it if you'd check it out there, too.

Okay... so I love all the movies in the Star Wars series, but I have never in my life actually read one of the many Star Wars books out there. (I know, right?) I decided to change that this year when I purchased The Princess, The Scoundrel, and The Farm Boy by Alexandra Bracken. I can tell you that I'm so glad that I decided to give a Star Wars novelization a chance because I really
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥

Find this review, plus more, on my blog: Booklikes OR Blogger

Basic Info

Format:
Audio
Pages/Length: 6hrs
Genre: Young Adult; Sci Fi; Space Travel
Reason For Reading: Why not?

At A Glance

Total: 7

In Depth

Best Part:
Sounds Effects
Worst Part: Leia's attitude.
Thoughts Had: Better than the movie! (As
Barbi Faye (The Book Fae)
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Barbi Faye (The Book Fae) by: Alexandra Bracken
How cute is this cover??! Disney has decided to release these sweet novelizations of our favorite chapters in the Star Wars saga that we are all familiar with, and Alex Bracken is one of my favorite authors, so I couldn't wait to get my hot little paws on these! We get to hear all the best lines from the movies of course, but with each successive chapter, it adds a little extra scene or exposition that was not ever seen in the movie.
In the Princess chapter, we are let in on Leia's extensive trai
orangerful
While not as strong as Angleberger's RotJ novelization (and that may have more to do with the source material than anything else) Bracken's take on ANH was a really fun read. This would also be a great book for kids to read and then discuss the different ways to tell a story, especially when it comes to film versus writing.

Bracken's approach was to break down the story of Star Wars to each of the main trio's point of view. The first part is all told from Princess Leia's side, with her getting t
Alexa
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
FIRST THOUGHTS: I just love revisiting this world, and these characters are dear to my heart. Alex did such a brilliant job revealing more to these three characters, all while telling the classic tale. 4.75 stars!
Kate
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
A wonderful version of this story reimagined for younger readers. The audiobook version is top-notch featuring sound effects and the popular musical score from the movies. I know it's totally marketing to a younger generation right before the new movie comes out but who the heck cares??
Galaxy Adventurer
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
This was pretty good! I liked how we got to see what the characters were thinking, I think my favorite p.o.v. was Leia's! If you like Star Wars then you should read this book!
Ron
Mar 15, 2015 marked it as to-read
This is the last straw
Time to watch Star Wars.
Charlotte
May 01, 2015 marked it as to-read
I don't really know anything about Star Wars, but this is by Alexandra Bracken, so.. *shrugs*
Donna
This is Star Wars for younger kids (not teens). While I did find this a little on the annoying side when I started it, I did finally find a rhythm. This book was definitely age appropriate....but the sentence structure was so simple and by that, I mean too simple. But I still liked this....it is a movie I have seen so many times with my own children. I also liked the embellishments with the characterizations. So 3 stars.
Katherine "Kj" Joslin
Apr 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, 2020-april
Love Star Wars and am doing a reading challenge where I am re-watching the trilogy and thought it might be fun to read a new retelling to accompany the trilogy movies. The book was accurate and good but I dislike it when authors write down to their younger readers. The characters came across as immature as a result but overall still a fun way to freshen up on the story. <3 ...more
James Floyd
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-wars
Not just a new novelizations or adaptation, this retelling adds a bit of a twist to the classic A New Hope story we know and love. For Star Wars: A New Hope: The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy, author Alexandra Bracken delves into the points of view of the three main heroes, and shows the film through their eyes, when they are on-screen, and builds new scenes when they aren't.

Review: The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy brings a fresh take on the story of Episode IV: A New Ho
Liam
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't remember when I first saw Episode IV, when I look back all I remember is watching Empire Strikes Back over and over and over, but suffice to say I was very young. Listening to this put me back in that mindset, where it was exciting and funny all over again.

If I had just read this it would probably have been a 3-star, but the audio was fantastic. Tons of music and sound effects, it felt more like a radio play than an audio book. The two readers were quite good, Princess Leia's especially
Kait McNamee
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked the way this book portrayed the events of A New Hope in written form. I like movies, but I have a harder time connecting with movies than I do to books. With this book, I was able to better understand the characters' motivations.

The book is split into 3 points of view: Leia, Han and Luke. Each section has a distinct voice and is super focused on that character's POV. For example, the TIE fighter that Darth Vader flies is described as the "TIE fighter with angular wings." Since th
RumBelle
Aug 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: favorites, star-wars
I finished The Princess, the Scoundrel and the Farm Boy by Alexandra Bracken. This was a retelling of Star Wars a New Hope done in an interesting way. The book was broken up into three parts. The first, overwhelmingly focused on Leia, started from when the Tantive IV was captured, to right after Alderran's destruction. The second segment, Han's story, began in the Mos Eisely Cantina and ended right around the time of the escape from the Death Star. Luke story, the final portion began right after ...more
McKenzie Dean
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Having previously read the retelling of The Empire Strikes Back in this series, So You Want to Be a Jedi?, I wasn’t expecting to enjoy The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy very much. My expectations were extremely low. However, I was pleasantly surprised! I enjoy most of the Star Wars books I read, so I’m incredibly happy to be able to add this one to my Star Wars shelf proudly. It read and felt like Star Wars, which is what I look for in each book I read in the franchise. I lov ...more

• Smuggler's Run: A Han Solo & Chewbacca Adventure
  • The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure
  • Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure
  • The Force Awakens - Rey's Story
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Star Wars: Novelizations, #3.5)
  • Queen's Peril (Star Wars)
  • Heir to the Jedi (Star Wars: Empire and Rebellion, #3)
  • The Rise of Skywalker
  • The Force Awakens (Star Wars: Novelizations, #7)
  • Twilight Company (Star Wars: Battlefront, #1)
  • Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope
  • Queen's Shadow (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars: Pirate's Price (Flight of the Falcon, #2)
  • Resistance Reborn (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #1)
  • The Perfect Weapon
  • Rebel Rising (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars: The Prequel Trilogy
  • Before the Awakening (Star Wars)
Hi! I'm Alex and I write books. Please note that I don't respond to messages here on GoodReads. Please send me a note on twitter (@alexbracken) on on Tumblr (alexandrabracken.tumblr.com). xx A

Star Wars Disney Canon Junior Novel (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • A Test of Courage (Star Wars: The High Republic)
  • Ezra's Gamble (Star Wars Rebels)
  • Edge of the Galaxy (Star Wars Rebels: Servants of the Empire, #1)
  • Rebel in the Ranks (Star Wars Rebels: Servants of the Empire, #2)
  • Imperial Justice (Star Wars Rebels: Servants of the Empire, #3)
  • The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure
  • Smuggler's Run: A Han Solo & Chewbacca Adventure
  • Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure
  • The Secret Academy (Star Wars Rebels: Servants of the Empire, #4)
  • Before the Awakening (Star Wars)