Start by marking “My Frankenstein” as Want to Read:

My Frankenstein

The classic story you thought you knew…

During its Amazon Promotion My Frankenstein was Number One in Young Adult Horror and Number Two in Young Adult Paranormal

Eva
Has always been an outsider in her small town. Her heart yearns for what she can never have. Her mind is always far away. She only wants to find her place in a fast changing world.
Viktor
The new baron. Young. Bril
Kindle Edition, 2nd edition, 265 pages
Published April 1st 2014 by Amazon Digital Services (first published March 3rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about My Frankenstein, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Frankenstein

Majanka
In a small village in 19th century England, a young and quite naive girl named Eva has an undeniable passion for science and progress, and she even managed to make a lightning rod. While she is trying to attach the latter to the roof of the inn she’s living in, she nearly falls down, because the scene that’s unfolding in front of her – her best friend kissing the boy she has loved all her life – makes her so upset that she loses her balance. Luckily, two strange men enquire about her well-being ...more
Rosver
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Michael Lee

An interesting but clumsy take on a classic. Somewhat moralistic and have some exciting moments but held nothing special. Characters, especial the protagonist and many of the extras, lacks solid personality and often times unconvincing. Events are often exciting but feels too set up, stiff and artificial. The ending is a vague emotional cliché of happiness and love talk. Do still have bright moments but most often quite inconsequential.

This spin off of a classic story
Kim
Apr 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Frankenstein is the debut fantasy novel from Michael Lee, and it is an excellent beginning. I have read the original Mary Shelley version, and while classically good, I was never really that into the story. I most definately enjoyed Lee's retelling of the story. The overtones of steampunk and romance were perfect for the gothic storyline and I really enjoyed it! I was engrossed from the moment I began reading, the plot dragging you in and keeping you there.

In my opinion, this was a very chara
Fallon
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, kindle
It has been a very long time since I've read Mary Shelly's Frankenstein and I read it twice. Once in middle school, for fun, and once in high school because we had to. I remember loving it and that it's my favorite version of Frankenstein followed by Young Frankenstein staring Gene Wilder and Peter Boyle, and because of that movie every time I see the name Igor I pronounce it "eye-gore". Most other versions are just really bland or trying to go off into weird places. I haven't decided if this is ...more
Cassandra
I decided to read this book up for something to do on a road trip. I thought it would be good and wouldn't get too involved, since it's a re-telling of Frankenstein.
Yeah - that didn't work out at all. I ignored everybody and everything like they didn't exist and never had. I believe my pooch passed out at some point from lack of food and the necessary breaks while on the road. Don't feel too bad, she got me back.

So, out of left field, I decided that I loved this book! It has a very dark/gothicky
Mark Souza
May 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eva was a little too bright to fit well into the small town in which she was raised. She was regarded as an odd little duck and frequently discounted and even maligned until the day Baron Frankenstein arrived. The Baron is a man of science with big plans to modernize the town. He takes an interest in Eva, opens his library to her, tutors her, but his interest in Eva is not purely academic. Eva is soon swept off her feet by the Baron’s passion.

One day she meets Adam, the Baron’s cousin. He is sim
Donna
Frankenstein was never one of my favorite stories. I liked it and appreciated it. But for me it wasn't on the same level as say Dracula. So I was interested in seeing how this story would come out. I have read similar stories in the past, where an author takes a classic tale and retells it from a different perspective. I have to say in this case I was pleasantly surprised with what I read.

I think most people reading this will know the story of Frankenstein. So going in you already have a passing
Siew Ee
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michael Lee reworked the classic tale of “Frankenstein” to give YA readers a story of romance, horror and intrigue. Fortunately (or maybe not for some), the story has been watered down so it’s less grotesque and disturbing compared to Shelley’s version.

Even though I knew it would be similar, if not identical to the original “Frankenstein”, I was taken in right from the start and I found myself “clicking” away at my electronic reader with enthusiasm. The writing is brisk, and paced extremely well
Theresa
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
At first to be honest this book kinda bugged me. In the original Frankenstein, Victor is misguided and a coward. In this retelling he is a horrible person. The kind of person I don't want to read about. He wanted what he wanted and he got it by any means necessary.

Then there was Eva, Rolfe and Heidi. I didn't really like that dynamic, but it had to be that way to get where it was going. Once cousin Adam came around it was all worth it.

Some of the best parts were watching as each character(Igor,
Carien
Apr 18, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An original take on Frankenstein that didn't work for me sadly enough. The story idea is quite good and intriguing and the setting is dark and gritty. The writing however didn't appeal to me. It's rather wonky and it keeps on the surface: you don't really get to feel the emotions of the characters. The short diary fragments at the start of some chapters were the best in my opinion and I felt disappointed Lee hadn't used this viewpoint for the whole story. As for the story itself: it felt just as ...more
Simon
May 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
At the risk of repeating a story that everyone knows, all I can say is that Michael J Lee does a brilliant job of making it accessible to a modern generation. Really excellent and hope there is another one in the pipeline sometime soon!
Becky
May 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Frankenstein along time ago. This was good definitely different from what I expected. Had a lot of twists an turns. I liked viktor in the beginning, but he got darker and darker. But in the original viktor is hard to like.
Emily
Apr 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sci-fi fans
Recommended to Emily by: free ebook on Amazon
Very well written, and very clever spin on Frankenstein. However, I'm more of a sappy, HEA girl. This is full of drama, and certainly doesn't fall anywhere close to the chick-lit I tend to read. That's okay, though. It really was a good read, and the author is very talented...hence 4 stars.
Annastew1144hotmail.com
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure what to expect with this book but I was hooked from the opening chapter. Very well written I think it will definitely appeal to a younger generation as the language is easier than the original. Very much looking forward to another release from the author.
Annabel
Mar 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
review will be posted soon!
Vivi Anna
Mar 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An awesome retelling of Frankenstein, with romance and intrigue and a great plucky heroine.
SharonM
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can you love the "monster"?

read this and decide if you can or should. And there is that eternal question, who is the true monster.

Mert
Apr 18, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I do not know how this book got so many high ratings. I read the review that called it clumsy and artificial (and I would add pretty predictable), and that pretty much sums it up.
Renee Ross
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this. It was very entertaining and engrossing.
Samara
Dec 27, 2011
Ruth Hroncich
Dec 13, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Born in the Midwest, spent time out on the East Coast and in LA.

Learned the craft of screenwriting the hard way, as a barely paid reader. Got a good feel for the form and for storytelling. My approach to story is a lot like Bruce Lee's approach to fighting, absorb what is useful.

Published my first Paranormal Romance My Frankenstein on Kindle just recently. It's been an adventure writing and promo