Start by marking “Status Update: Celebrity, Publicity, and Branding in the Social Media Age” as Want to Read:
Status Update: Celebrity, Publicity, and Branding in the Social Media Age

Status Update: Celebrity, Publicity, and Branding in the Social Media Age

Social media technologies such as YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook promised a new participatory online culture. Yet, technology insider Alice Marwick contends in this insightful book, “Web 2.0” only encouraged a preoccupation with status and attention. Her original research—which includes conversations with entrepreneurs, Internet celebrities, and Silicon Valley journalists— ...more
Published January 13th 2015 by Yale University Press (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Status Update, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Status Update

Desiree
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I must say that it did take me a bit to get into this book. I put it down for a while, thinking it was going to be a really heavy read. But, it turned out to be quite the fascinating book! It was a lovely walk down memory lane for me, with names like Kevin Rose, Veronica Belmont and Leo LaPorte! Many others are mentioned, but these happened to be the most familiar to me. The author refers to them as micro-celebrities.
Katherine
again like It's Superman, i just started it so long ago. also, i didn't understand anything that was going on, and maybe i'll understand it more in the future, so i'm interested in picking it up again??? but probably not tho
Bianca
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-media
Marwick's ethnography of the tech scene in San Francisco is as addictive as the media she is talking about. Her findings confront the ideas surrounding "authenticity" as defined by this population that puts value on number of followers, retweets, traffic, etc., while actively denying that those things really matter. There are many keen observations about micro-celebrities, anti-consumerist consumerism and, most importantly, the inequalities within the scene. The later chapters circle in on sexis ...more
Wessel van Rensburg
Having read some of Marwick's papers on celebrity, and having heard her speak on fashion bloggers and Pinterest, I expected more from this book. It is a good ethnography but too trapped in academic style exposition. It detracts from the narrative.

Having said that the point she makes about status, social media and its affordances is fascinating, and I had not seen anybody make it before (or in a book at least).
carla
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-by-friends
It's almost impossible for me to objectively evaluate this book - I know a lot of the folks interviewed for the research and Alice herself. That said, there are some terrific insights to take away from this book and two chapters in particular were standouts: Lifestreamed and Designed in California. An excellent read and much thanks to Alice for looking at these behaviors with an academic and contextual eye.
River
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technology
This is a very good book exploring how social media works. It's primarily an ethnography of tech workers in the Bay Area who design social media tools (like Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare, etc), but it has very good insights into social media in general as it pertains to celebrity, self-branding, etc.

There is lots worthwhile stuff in this book -- highly recommended!
Lauren
Feb 11, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting but uneven look at how social media has altered society’s perception and understanding of the public self. About five pages into Status Update, I realized it was going to be more academic than I expected and that it was a reworked version of Dr. Marwick’s dissertation. I’m not who designed the cover or wrote the blurb, but neither indicates the true reach or scope of this book, which is a shame.

The weakest part of Status Update is the first seventy pages. Weighed down by four-syll
Diana180
#kindle #curriculum #digitaltextuality Everyone who is on social media needs to read this book to feel less worse about their public record, especially if they don't work for Google and blog about parasailing and startup drinks, but maybe even if they do. Marwick has put a new perspective on the last 20 years online, discussing for instance the shift from experimental, zinish websites as the dominant aesthetic to the more attention-engineered corporate and cryptocorporate websites we have today. ...more
Lance Eaton
Alice Marwick provides an insightful and fascinating look at understanding social media, culture, and class identity in this book. Through her text, it's quickly evident that though social media presents itself as this utopian world of access and connection, there are many misrepresentations and much gesturing that more than creates a distorted view of what social media is and how we use it. These questions of access, presence, and celebritism create different outcomes and rather than diminishin ...more
Janki
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
Status Update: Celebrity, Publicity, and Branding in the Social Media Age is a book that will open the eyes of anyone who reads it. It uncovers the truth of social media today which may shock some readers.

I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in social media and how it works.
Terrell Sanzone
I had gotten a copy of this book through a Goodreads giveaway. I enjoyed reading through this book and learning not only methods but a little more about the people who are behind a lot of the good ideas we see everyday.
Nadia Seraiocco
À lire, pour un survol de l'histoire de Silicon Valley, de sa création, de la bulle techno jusqu'aux réseaux sociaux...
Kc
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
This one took me awhile to read but was worth it. I found many thought-provoking ideas and am now experimenting with my online persona. The conclusions about women working in tech were right-on.
Summer
Read this for class, but ended up enjoying it. Definitely brought up some interesting points about the quantified self and status.
N G
Apr 25, 2017
Tim
May 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The App Generation: How Today's Youth Navigate Identity, Intimacy, and Imagination in a Digital World
  • 8-Bit Christmas
  • Sexting
  • The Woman Who Stopped Traffic
  • Life's a Pitch
  • Satisfied: Discovering Contentment in a World of Consumption
  • Plenty Ladylike: A Memoir
  • The Proteus Paradox: How Online Games and Virtual Worlds Change Us—And How They Don't
  • Say Everything: How Blogging Began, What It's Becoming, and Why It Matters
  • Defeating ISIS: Who They Are, How They Fight, What They Believe
  • Pax Technica: How the Internet of Things May Set Us Free or Lock Us Up
  • When Gadgets Betray Us: The Dark Side of Our Infatuation With New Technologies
  • The Worst Person in the World: And 202 Strong Contenders
  • S.S.O.T.B.M.E. Revised: An Essay on Magic
  • The Fall of the House of Bush: How a Group of True Believers Put America on the Road to Armageddon
  • Virtual Reality: The Revolutionary Technology of Computer-Generated Artificial Worlds-And How It Promises to Transform Society
  • Free Kindle Books