Start by marking “Fu-go: The Curious History of Japan's Balloon Bomb Attack on America” as Want to Read:
Fu-go: The Curious History of Japan's Balloon Bomb Attack on America

Fu-go: The Curious History of Japan's Balloon Bomb Attack on America

(Studies in War, Society, and the Military)

Near the end of World War II, in an attempt to attack the United States mainland, Japan launched its fu-go campaign, deploying thousands of high-altitude hydrogen balloons armed with incendiary and high-explosive bombs designed to follow the westerly winds of the upper atmosphere and drift to the west coast of North America. After reaching the mainland, these fu-go, the Ja ...more
Published November 1st 2014 by University of Nebraska Press (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Fu-go, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fu-go

Mark S
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it
would have given four stars but the plan did not work
Emily
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very detailed, and interesting read. The author did he research into a little known attack on the USA during WWII.
Mike
Feb 19, 2016 rated it liked it
An interesting story about a little-known attack on the US mainland by Japan towards the end of WWII. The author did a good job with the story although it did tend to bog down after a while with a repetitive list of sightings and recoveries.
I did however, really enjoy the in-depth discussion of the ATG (Alaska Territorial Guard) and its performance as a home guard force.
An interesting and unique bit of WWII history that I recommend.
Rob Neyer
Dec 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Highly specific, esoteric subject. Aside from some wildly general claims about the Doolittle Raid and its relationship to the Battle of Midway, and a strange claim that Japan's wartime goals were somehow "Pan-Asian", there's a lot here to like. But you gotta really want it. Otherwise this subject is best left for a good magazine article.
Jeremy
Aug 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Really great for about the first half, but then gets bogged down in fairly uneventful details of specific balloon sightings and military procedures. Still quite interesting to read about such a unique and relatively unknown aspect of WWII.
Rachel
Nov 25, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm a little torn on how to rate this. It's exhaustive and likely has everything you'll ever want or need to know on the subject. On the other hand, it was so exhaustive that it was hard to stay focused. There are some good parts. I don't really regret reading it.
Jan
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ipl
Just dry, unfortunately.
Pabgo
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great book about a little known aspect of WWII. If you like history, specifically military history, you will like this book.
Jennifer Booklover
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed learning about this little known piece of our history, especially so as I live in the Pacific Northwest.
Exapno Mapcase
Apr 29, 2015
Michelle
Apr 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: history
I've been fascinated by this story since I heard that balloon bombs existed. This book was very factual, by which I mean it didn't have any gripping storyline that would cause me to recommend it to others, but if someone wants to learn more about fu-go, this is a concise review of the events of the campaign and includes maps created by the American military of balloon landing sites.

Spoilers but not really because these were actual historical events:
In summary, there were six civilians who died o
Jim Bright
Dec 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »

Studies in War, Society, and the Military (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • Death at the Edges of Empire: Fallen Soldiers, Cultural Memory, and the Making of an American Nation, 1863-1921
  • A Scientific Way of War: Antebellum Military Science, West Point, and the Origins of American Military Thought
  • The Age of the Ship of the Line: The British and French Navies, 1650-1815 (Studies in War, Society, and the Military)
  • The Thirty Years' War and German Memory in the Nineteenth Century
  • Arabs at War: Military Effectiveness, 1948-1991 (Studies in War, Society, and the Military)
  • An American Soldier in World War I
  • Death Zones & Darling Spies: Seven Years of Vietnam War Reporting
  • The Rise of the National Guard: The Evolution of the American Militia, 1865-1920
  • America's U-Boats: Terror Trophies of World War I