Start by marking “8 Minute Meditation Expanded: Quiet Your Mind. Change Your Life.” as Want to Read:
8 Minute Meditation Expanded: Quiet Your Mind. Change Your Life.

8 Minute Meditation Expanded: Quiet Your Mind. Change Your Life.

Newly expanded: the bestselling beginner’s guide to  mindfulness and better health in eight minutes a day.
These days everyone is learning mindfulness, from  the Super Bowl Champion Seattle Seahawks to stars like Goldie Hawn and Ellen Degeneres. But mindful meditation is not just for celebrities, CEOs, and professional athletes. Mindful meditation is an incredible tool that
Published December 2nd 2014 by TarcherPerigee (first published July 6th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about 8 Minute Meditation Expanded, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 8 Minute Meditation Expanded

The cover makes me cringe, but the book delivers its promise: get through eight weeks of daily meditation. A key section of the book focuses on sustaining and enriching your meditation practice beyond the basics.
Barış Özol
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Overall it is a good read. However I do agree with the previous readers comments on "For the most part, I found the techniques useful, aside from Week 3's Notice Body Sensations aka focus on every single itch you have."

It covers number of techniques to help you focus your mind through practice like everything else. However it is only 8-minutes a day which is extremely doable.
Marian
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Probably good for beginners, but I found the ra-ra attitude annoying. And the quote on the cover from Time ("The most American form of meditation yet.")- I don't think that was meant as a compliment.
Jonathan Lu
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good and practical book about introducing meditation to you life - at only 8minutes per day. Covers a number of techniques to help you focus your mind through weekly practice. This is an introductory book with 8 techniques that will satisfy 90% of those interesting in adding this mind hack to your repertoire:

1) focus on breath, in and out; through all other distractions, keep your mind focused on breathing.
2) focus on sounds around you without filtering or rejecting them; just note if they are r
Bettie Koontz
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Practical and insightful

If you're looking for a fluffy good-feelsey meditation theory book, this isn't it. What it is, though, is a practical guide to creating a lasting relationship with meditation. Victor has created an eight week program with eight different simple meditations to practice for eight minutes a day. Each week he introduces a new meditation technique that you practice for the next seven days, and each technique, although distinct, increases in skill. I really enjoyed reading this
Ben Vore
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Straightforward and accessible, 8 Minute Meditation is a good place to start to get a handle on the basics of mindfulness (it’s sort of like Headspace in print form), but Davich’s writing often spills over into overenthusiastic salesmanship. Fewer exclamation points would’ve helped me be more mindful reading it.
Jessica Smith
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Super helpful in getting you started with a meditation practice. I found him a little ramble-y at times but enjoyed the layout of the book and how simple he made meditating and making it a habit. Would definitely recommend to someone looking for a beginners guide on meditation or looking to start an easy, doable meditation practice.
Liz
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing, life changing and a pleasant read. Meditation is a process and he introduces you to it and walks you through it very well.
Mark
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
If you have the discipline and patience to practice meditation on a regular basis, this can be a good introduction and a helpful guide.
Amy Rhoda  Brown
I read this around the same time as Meditation for Beginners, trying to get a couple of angles on the topic before I went ahead and tried it myself. I prefer the other book's prose style and general approach, but I like Davich's structured plan for starting to meditate. He lays out a multi-week schedule which makes sense.

Both books offer more or less the same advice for starting to meditate, and both explain several styles of meditating. One interesting difference is that Davich advises that if
Josh
Jan 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
For the most part, I found the techniques useful, aside from Week 3's Notice Body Sensations aka focus on every single itch you have. And the questions at the back of every second started off helpful, though got real repetitive halfway through. The writing felt more like a sale's pitch than actual helpful information, especially the introduction. It felt like added filler to keep this book from being only 20 pages. However, the writing doesn't undercut the techniques, which is really what the bo ...more
Stuart Chundrlek
A great introduction to Meditation

My therapist recommended this book to me as a way to get into Meditation as a means to reduce my anxiety. I found it easy to read and understand. Clear directions for how to being meditation and what to expect from the practice made this a great way to start meditating daily.
Mercedes Fox-griffin
Awesome guide

If you're a beginner or not Victor does an astounding job stretching your mind every week. It definitely introduced me to some new techniques.
Kevin Price
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book!

This was the of meditative book I have read, so I may not be the best judge, but I liked it. It was very accessible and made me want to read more.
Christine
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
it was OK. if you practice Hatha yoga you will incorporate this anyway. three stars because beginners might learn something.
Gary
Jan 10, 2017
Megtred
May 08, 2019
Megan
Oct 17, 2017
Chet
rated it did not like it
Mar 10, 2019

• Finding Meaning in an Imperfect World
  • Writing the Life Poetic: An Invitation to Read & Write Poetry
  • Vietnam: A History of the War
  • Lovestruck, Sexy Edition
  • The Sketchbook Challenge: Techniques, Prompts, and Inspiration for Achieving Your Creative Goals
  • Sticky Fingers: DIY Duct Tape Projects - Easy to Pick Up, Hard to Put Down
  • The Griffin and the Dinosaur: How Adrienne Mayor Discovered a Fascinating Link Between Myth and Science
  • Lust: Kinky Online Personal Ads
  • A Time to Break Silence: The Essential Works of Martin Luther King, Jr., for Students
  • Machine Made: Tammany Hall and the Creation of Modern American Politics