Start by marking “A is for Apocalypse” as Want to Read:

(Alphabet Anthologies)

What do you get when you take twenty-six amazing writers, randomly assign them a letter of the alphabet and give them complete artistic freedom within a theme?

A is for Apocalypse

A is for Apocalypse contains twenty-six apocalyptic stories written by both well-known and up-and-coming writers. Monsters, meteors, floods, war–the causes of the apocalypses in these tales are as
Published August 2014 by Poise and Pen Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A is for Apocalypse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A is for Apocalypse

Joseph
Aug 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This is a great anthology, I'm enjoying the different takes on the Apocalypse. There is a tremendous variation in style and approach, and I have enjoyed something from each of the stories here, with some that are particularly fine. There are some authors here I will be searching out other works from. I quite liked the tale by Milo James Fowler, and will check out some of his other work.
Jared
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Having been at the book launch for D is for Dinosaur (book 4 of the series), I was quite intrigued by the idea behind this anthology series. And I was not disappointed. The main idea was vague enough to allow for a HUGE variety in tone and content which allowed me to get much more invested in the volume than many of the other anthologies I've read recently.

I will say a though you should be in a good headspace when you read this, as if you are like me you'll start thinking about how you'd deal wi
S.L. Saboviec
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I recently read a different anthology of apocalypse stories headlined by some big names (George R. R. Martin, Arthur C. Clarke, and Neil Gaiman, to name a few). It was terribly disappointing; half the stories I couldn't finish and the other half were only passable, except the Neil Gaiman story. But whatever, this isn't a review of that book (The End of the World: Stories of the Apocalypse), which seemed to be thrown together haphazardly as a money maker riding on the backs of well-known names.

Wh
Rakhi Jayashankar
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthology, reviewed
The book is an alphabetical anthology of twenty six stories named with the twenty six English alphabets. The stories are quite refreshing and interesting. In spite of writing baseless and hollow words, each story is dedicated to a relevant issue or incident. From Zombies to Nuclear pollution, the authors touched every topic of concern. I never believed that I would like a story with Zombies but the book changed my every preconceived notions. Rhonda has done a praiseworthy job as an editor. The b ...more
Ana Meyer
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was given this book and thought.....oh no end of the world. I don't like the idea of the end of the world....there would be no more wine and that is a problem. However, when I found out it was a collection of short stories about different end of the world situations my interest was peeked. Each story holds its own charms and uniqueness which keeps the topic (end of the world) from getting stale. It was easy to read as you can put it down easier. You can break between stories and come back with ...more
Pete Aldin
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Full disclosure: I have a story in this book. So read this with as many grains of salt as you think appropriate.

For the most part, I loved these stories. Honourable mentions: Gary B Philips' K (hilarious), Damien Angelica Walters' U (tear jerker), Beth Cato's D (believable, oppressive, dark), KV Taylor's J (masterful), Cory Cone's T (soooo nasty! I love it).
Tabitha Lord
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A collection of very different stories united by their theme - Apocalypse. Some are fantastical, some are utterly believable, and all are haunting in their own way. Naturally, I enjoyed some of the stories more than others, but the individual voices contribute to a satisfying, devastating whole.
Suzanne Rooyen
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
These five stars are for all the other stories in the anthology - not my own!

A wonderfully eclectic mix of short stories from some truly stupendous authors!
Michael Fosburg
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Great book filled with talented authors.
Virginia Stark
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So many really interesting and unique stories in one place deserve five stars!
Clinton Sites
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not for the faint of heart nor easily depressed

I am a fan of apocalyptic fiction like many others, I like novels where the author has time to develop the situation and characters prior to / during and after said apocalyptic event. The short story format never made me think that it could be otherwise.

I am happy to be disabused of such a notion! This collection of short stories are beautiful examples of how excellent writers make use of the format to pack a novels worth into so few pages by not ha
Ulla
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
A - Not my taste. *
B - At least it was short, no star.
C - It seemed to be better, but not my taste. *
D - Best story so far. *****
E - Another highlight. *****
F - I think the musician in this story has gone mad. It's his personal Apocalypse. Much of it might be better understood by a musican or someone who can at least read notes. **
G - The part with the young lovers was nice, but I'm not sure if I understood the rest. **
H - Made me think of Atlantis. (view spoiler)
Kathryn Baron
There are some wonderful stories here. And some fairly dreadful ones. My favorites:
D by Bethesda Cato ****
Z by Steve Bornstein **
Maria Rose
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anthologies of the end

Utilizing alphabet as guide, this book has 26 tales about end of everything happenings. The connection is how everyone's views are expressed.
Jenny_acc
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked a lot of the stories in this anthology. Some of them were a bit weird and not so enjoyable, but all in all i was pretty happy with the majority.
Ray Smith
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
"A is for Apocalypse" winds up somehow being less than the sum of its parts. When I went to grade the book overall, I decided on 2 stars ("It was okay"). But when I went through and graded each of the 26 stories, the average score wound up being 3 ("I Liked It"). There are a lot of good stories, a couple I didn't care for at all, and a few that I really, really liked. (Two actually got 5 stars, using the GoodReads.com scoring system.) I think the ones that weren't that good managed to drag down ...more
Tony Stark
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am usually very ambivalent about zombie oriented fiction, but I was very, very impressed by Rhonda Parrish's anthology. Her attention to detail and energy shine through the anthology and make it a good read, even for the squeamish, like me. A great introduction to why this genre is garnering so many readers, and a must read for those already addicted to zombie fiction.
Aly
Oct 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
I think this was a good collection for short stories. I am glad they are fun and I think the author has a good imagination. I enjoyed the book. * I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*
Bonnie Dale Keck
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways-won
Some Kindle Unlimited some permafree? D one I got as LibraryThing freebie please if you would reveiw of your own free will blah blah.
Each Letter has an anthology and each anthology has a theme and each one is an alphabet's number {26} of different shortish stories by different writers. For the 2 I got to read, must say Absolutely Astonishing and Definitely Different. Just read them already, see the stars.

A is for Apocalypse (Alphabet Anthologies Book 1) {permafree? has one of the B stories in ba
Tom Ekman
Sep 07, 2017
Jett Cat
May 28, 2018
Alexandra
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Tai
rated it it was ok
Jan 15, 2018
An Odd1
rated it did not like it
Jun 08, 2018
Tyler
Feb 19, 2015
Rhonda Parrish is driven by a desire to do All The Things. She founded and ran Niteblade Magazine, is an Assistant Editor at World Weaver Press and is the editor of several anthologies including, most recently, Fire: Demons, Dragons and Djinn and E is for Evil.

In addition, Rhonda is a writer whose work has been in publications such as Tesseracts 17: Speculating Canada from Coast to Coast and Imagi

Alphabet Anthologies (6 books)
  • B is for Broken
  • C is for Chimera
  • D is for Dinosaur
  • E is for Evil (Alphabet Anthologies Book 5)
  • F is for Fairy