Start by marking “The Dance of Love” as Want to Read:
The Dance of Love

Read Excerpt

The Dance of Love

The Dance of Love is a coming-of-age tale that spans more than two decades of vast change. Against a backdrop of high Edwardian luxury, Natalie Edwardes is poised on the brink of adulthood and, in an age when a woman's destiny is decided by marriage, her beauty, wit and wealth would seem to guarantee her a glittering future. But, isolated by her father's position as a ...more
Published July 31st 2014 by Buried River Press now owned by Crowood Press

To ask other readers questions about The Dance of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dance of Love

Recommended to Kevin by: Goodreads
Shelves: first-reads
'The Dance of Love' by Angela Young
A reader response by Kevin Mannion

While this genre of book isn't typically what I look for, I decided to take a chance with 'The Dance of Love'. I was glad I did.

I enjoyed getting a taste of Edwardian high society, and how that society changed in the years leading up to, during, and just after the First World War. But it's the novel's main character, Natalie Edwardes, that is very much what the story is really about - as well as how those big events around her
Denise
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, read-2019
Spanning two decades from 1899 to 1919, The Dance of Love follows its protagonist Natalie Edwardes from her coming out season through first love, heartbreak, marriage, motherhood, and various tragedies. I might have been less bored by this if the few actually interesting plot points like the sinking of the Titanic and the Great War hadn't been squandered by being experienced only peripherally by the protagonist, who wasn't actually directly involved in any of the action.
♥︎♥︎Sofia♥︎♥︎
I was rather put off by this book when I first started reading. The stilted dialogue and writing style which, I assume, the writer used to convey the restricted atmosphere of late Victorian England seemed affected and unauthentic. But as the novel progressed the story of Natalie Edwardes (the extra S added by Natalie's trade-man father to convey pedigree) captured my attention and kept me up til 04:00 in order to finish. Worth the zero pence from Kindle Unlimited.
Storm
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Dance of Love tells the story of Natalie Edwardes, a headstrong young girl with no desire to obey the rules of life in Edwardian 'High Society'; where love plays second-fiddle to class and wealth, and where she is too often reminded that she doesn't really belong. Instead, Natalie follows her heart, and experiences the many ways in which it can be broken, and healed; and learns that 'love' can exist in many different forms and is seldom straightforward.

Now, cards on the table...
Margaret
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Dance of Love is historical fiction set at the turn of the twentieth century between 1899 and 1919. It is outstanding and I loved it so much. At times as I read it I could hardly see the pages through my tears – and there have not been many books that have that effect on me. It’s a brilliant book, both a heart-rending love story and a dramatic story too, as the sinking of the Titanic in 1912 and the devastating and tragic effects of the First World War impact on the characters’ lives.

It’s
Michelle Bailat-Jones
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I had the great luck to read this book just before it came out this summer. I'm already a fan of Young's writing and greatly enjoyed her earlier novel, Speaking of Love. This new novel shows just how far Young can go - writing in a different period (historical fiction) but with the same urgency as she wrote her contemporary novel. Here is my review:

In this affecting historical drama, Angela Young captures turn-of-20th century England by distilling its various joys and tragedies into the life
Kirsty
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Honestly, I couldn't put it down. Without giving too much away, the book was such a pleasure to read. A mix of romance and suspense, coupled with key historical events of the time. You really feel every emotion that Natalie feels and the emotional journey she takes over the years. You accompany her through lust, love, guilt and betrayal and feel every emotion with her. The characters that I particularly enjoyed were Millie and Gussie, we all have a friend like the both of them, the dreamy one ...more
Catherine
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Dance of Love is a wonderful book, a delight from cover to cover, a bringer of pure pleasure. The heroine is as curious and emotional as the narrative is elegant and controlled. This is a truly charming story, beautifully told.
Saturday's Child
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
This novel was not at all what I expected but in a positive way - it is a really enjable read.
Michelle
Jul 10, 2018
Robyn Owen
Oct 11, 2014
Lenochka
rated it did not like it
Jun 15, 2014

• The Photograph
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
  • What Happened to Us?
  • A Dangerous Crossing
  • Hillary's Final Case (DI Hillary Greene, #17)
  • The Secrets of Married Women
  • You Then, Me Now
  • The Art of Inheriting Secrets
  • The Murder at Redmire Hall (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries, #3)
  • With or Without You: Are you ever sure you made the right decision?
  • Broadland (DI Tanner #1)
  • The Heart of the Garden
Angela Young is a graduate of Middlesex University’s MA in Creative Writing and is the author of two novels. In 1995, BBC Books published Angela’s 30,000-word ending to Edith Wharton’s last, unfinished novel, The Buccaneers, a story of love and marriage set among the British aristocracy and the American moneyed classes in late nineteenth-century England.

Speaking of Love is Angela’s first novel.