Start by marking “The Tomb (Repairman Jack, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Tomb (Repairman Jack, #1)

The Tomb

(Repairman Jack #1)

Much to the chagrin of his girlfriend, Gia, Repairman Jack doesn’t deal with electronic appliances—he fixes situations for people, often putting himself in deadly danger. His latest project is recovering a stolen necklace, which carries with it an ancient curse that may unleash a horde of Bengali demons. Jack is used to danger, but this time Gia’s daughter Vicky is threate ...more
Paperback, First TOR Edition, 426 pages
Published August 15th 1998 by TOR Books (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Tomb, please sign up.
Clayton V. "The Tomb" and "The Touch" were made part of the Adversary Cycle when "Nightworld" was released. Originally "The Keep", "Reborn", & "Reprisal" were th…more"The Tomb" and "The Touch" were made part of the Adversary Cycle when "Nightworld" was released. Originally "The Keep", "Reborn", & "Reprisal" were the series and then, when "Nightworld" came out, characters from "The Tomb" and "The Touch" were rolled in to the same continuity. I recommend reading "The Tomb" after reading "Reborn" and "Reprisal" but before reading "Nightworld". That way you are familiar all the characters for the end of the series.
(less)

Start your review of The Tomb (Repairman Jack, #1)
Dirk Grobbelaar

All she could do was stand there and scream.

Indeed.

This book has a good number of things going for it. I particularly enjoyed the characterization of Repairman Jack. There are also some Lovecraftian references that fans will recognize.

Striding down the dark passage like the avatar of a vengeful god, came Jack.

I can imagine that followers of the Agent Pendergast series (Relic), the Charlie Parker series (Every Dead Thing) or the Harry Dresden series (Storm Front) would enjoy this, especially co
Felicia
Jan 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-paranormal
YES! A great series like the "Dresden Files", Simon Green's Nightside etc. A nice break from all the romance-y stuff I've been reading lately. Really great lead, interesting protagonist and storyline. I really love this series and will read many more!
Bradley
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This novel has a lot of modern (80's) thriller sensibilities with a can-do 'fixer' focused mainly on character study and definition, mostly in the same way that horror novels do it. Righting wrongs, giving up close and personal Justice to those who escape the law.

With a supernatural twist. Hindu Rakashas!

It sounds pretty cool, actually, but my personal expectations were more along the lines of a proto-modern UF... and it is. It just happens to be MORE focused on character study and interpersonal
Ginger
May 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-read, 2020
4.5 stars!

This book was fun, super entertaining and easy to read!

The Tomb is the first book in the Repairman Jack series. It's got great characters, supernatural elements and the action is fantastic. While reading this, I felt at times that I was eating popcorn and watching an action movie!

The Tomb was written back in 1984 so it's got a great 80s feel to the book. It didn't feel dated to me, so kudos to F. Paul Wilson for writing something that can be relatable in 2020.

Jack is a fixer. He's not
Lyn
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have a new best friend and his name is Repairman Jack.

With a style reminiscent of Travanian or John D. MacDonald, F. Paul Wilson describes the urban fantasy equivalent of his off the grid anti-hero. Wilson also demonstrates his libertarian values in a protagonist that would make Poul Anderson or Heinlein proud.

While this can be seen as a far-out version of a Travis McGee adventure, urban and contemporary fantasy fans will be drawn to its supernatural qualities. Jack is on the trail of an ancie
David Sven
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, thriller
Harry Dresden without magic and more violent and more Horror than Urban Fantasy. Repairman Jack takes on jobs that require vigilante justice - "fixing" problems in a way that the usual law enforcement and judiciary can't.

Excellent pacing. Believable(ish) story. Scary monsters. Some genuine suspenseful moments. A step up from book one The Keep.

4 Stars

PS: I don't know why this book is called The Tomb - There is no Tomb!
Terry
Fun is the best descriptor I can come up with to describe my experience with this read. With an 80's feel to it, this horror/action thriller was filled with excitement and great characters. Especially Jack, who is an easy favorite. The story was good and had a good resolution, leaving me excited to read the next Repairman Jack adventure. I'm surprised this didn't end up as an '80's horror movie, honestly. 4.5/5.0 stars.
Dave
Dec 18, 2008 rated it did not like it
The only book I have read in the "Repairman Jack" series, and, I think, the last.
Repairman Jack is a below-the-radar fixit guy that "repairs" problems for people. Although he's supposed to be cool and dangerous, he comes across as kind of an idiot man-child to me. He has all these ridiculous methods for keeping his identity secret yet he invites a strange woman up to his apartment early on in the book. He goes to the same bar every single time to interview clients and shops at the same store nea
Mark
Dec 31, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: F. Paul Wilson fans
Shelves: horror
"The Tomb", by F. Paul Wilson, is the SECOND book in his "Adversary Cycle" series and the FIRST book in his "Repairman Jack" series.

This novel introduces New Yorker Repairman Jack, a man with no permanent last name (it varies with the ID he's carrying at the time) and no records of his existence (he either had them erased or doesn't reference them at all anymore). His job is to fix things that the police can't or won't fix. Sometimes this involves hurting or killing people, which is why his ex-g
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Sep 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of occult detective novels, kickbutt heroes, and lesser-used folklore elements
I was going to give this three stars, but I realize it deserves more. I think I heard it raved about so much that I expected to like it more. Had I gone into The Tomb with lower expectations, I would have no hesitation in rating it higher. That is why I hate to read books after they are so hyped. It just spoils the experience.

Repairman Jack is just an awesome character. He is a person who exists outside of the system. He simply dropped off the 'grid.' He doesn't pay taxes, and he doesn't feel li
Mike (the Paladin)
Jan 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Some years ago I read The Keep. My wife liked it some, I on the other hand wasn't all that impressed. It was the last thing by Mr Wilson I read...till now. A couple of years ago someone suggested to my wife and I that we try the Repairman Jack books, but I never got around to it.

Till now.

I've got to say I liked this book. It's not great literature in the "classic sense" (you may hear that pronounced in a sophisticated accent if you wish). This book started out as what might be called a fairly st
Mike
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Repairman Jack - a fix-it guy who moves in unsavory circles. Got a problem that doesn't involve the law community? Jack is the guy.

After losing his once-in-a-lifetime gal, Gia, to his past, he becomes involved in finding an iron necklace for an Indian diplomat.

We find a centuries-old curse waiting for our hero.

This story moved extremely fast, with likable characters, and even the bad guys had honorable intentions.
Ms. Nikki
Jack is a fixer. He fixing things. Not your electronics, but real problems involving people and sometimes more.

Jack had a girlfriend Gia, who couldn't cope with who he was and what he did for a living and she left. 2 months later she calls. A relative of her ex-husband has disappeared and they need his help.

This makes Gia and Jack rub each other the wrong way even though they both still have feelings for each other.

The story goes on with Jack investigating the kidnapping, but things take on a su
✨Susan✨
I was excited to start this series about this mysterious character Repairman Jack. Jack is a kind man with a little something extra, however, he feels the need to show himself to his family and friends as an underachiever and a bit of a thug. He does this with the hope of hiding his peculiar profession.

When he is asked by an ex girlfriend to help find her missing Aunt he is also contacted by a very strange, foreign man, with deep pockets, who is desperate to have him find a stolen family heirlo
Stephen
4.0 to 4.5 stars. First of the Repairman Jack Novels. This is a very well written story with a fantastic main character, namely Repairman Jack. Not your normal everyday repairman, Jack "fixes" problems for people and he is very good at what he does. Won't give away too much of the plot other than to say it has intrigue, Indian Mythology, demons and a rather nasty revenge/curse thrown in for good measure. Recommended.
Chloe
Sep 04, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chloe by: ScottK
Beginning a new series is always a dicey prospect for me. Will it be my kind of series? Will it become my newest temporary addiction, with me scrounging the net to find each and every book in the collection? Will it cause me to begin fantasizing about what it'd be like to exist within that universe? With all these questions rattling about my head, it should be understandable that I was hesitant to begin the Repairman Jack series- especially because I'm loathe to begin a series that has not come ...more
Jason
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014, e-books
4 Stars

I really enjoyed this Urban Fantasy that is the start to the Repairman Jack series. It seems that I really enjoy this genre when it is not centered on teenage romance and angst. Wilson has created a main character in Jack that I can really get behind. The world that he has created is very much like our own but with just a little bit more.

The highlights of this read is the page turning writing style. The awesome hero Jack. And the fabulous Indian folklore and creature that is at the heart
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
3.5 stars but I'm rounding up to 4 because that's what I would have given it if I'd read it with 1984 sensibilities which was when it was published. It was that era when only lip-service was given to equality. It was "accepted" that women were equal and strong and smart but all that meant was having them say a few smart things or show interest in what was going on or just having femal characters. The same went for people of color. We weren't there yet for any other minority groups.

So Wilson's wo
Seizure Romero
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library, badassery
So... I realize this book was originally published in 1984. It's a little dated. This copy has "Author's Definitive Edition" across the cover and "This revised edition was previously published in 2004 as Rakoshi by Borderlands Press" on the copyright page (this paperback edition was published in 2006). Repairman Jack books have been popping up on my radar for a few years now, and I've been wanting to read the first in the series to see if I want to dive in. I like the premise.

The writing can be.
Stacey
Sep 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
A few weeks ago, I was wishing for another pulpy guilty-pleasure series to read; I'm jonesing a bit, since it will be at least 4 more months until the next Dresden fix, heh. One of my IRL friends - the same pusher that hooked me on Dresden - has been trying to get me lit on Repairman Jack. I caved in a moment of weakness.

But...

It's pretty damn good! I saw "series," and assumed "ditch." I forgot that Wilson was already well-established by the time he wrote The Tomb, and that the rest of the seri
Trever
Sep 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cheerful, upbeat sort of horror... Kind of an "Indiana Jones meets the Wolfman" story. Repairman Jack is immediately likable thanks to being introduced in the middle of a James Whale movie festival, and it rolls from there. Ancient Indian monsters are being used by a madman to settle an age-old score, and Jack gets pulled into the middle of it when he's asked to find an old lady's stolen necklace. Daring-do, fisticuffs, and square-jawed heroics ensue. Very enjoyable.
Sean Phipps
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, now I’m addicted to the entire Adversary Cycle and Repairman Jack series’. What a wild, fun read. Highly Recommended for those who like a little bit of crime/horror in their rotation.
The Cats’ Mother
Hmm. I think I would've liked it more if it weren't so dated - this was written in 1984, and while there have been some attempts to modernise it with mentions of Playstation and Grand Theft Auto, the attitudes remind me of Roger Moore era James Bond movies - the hero moves effortlessly between women, sleeping with both and neither seem to mind - indeed both are pretty pathetic. Meanwhile our hero gets himself out of all certain death situations with panache - and gadgets.
So this is the first of
S.E.
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Reading this book brings to mind other paranormal series involving male protagonists ie. Jim Butcher’s Harry Dresden series, Kevin Hearne’s Iron Druid Chronicles and Rob Thurman’s Cal & Niko Leandros series. I also couldn’t help but notice that unlike the others who have supernatural powers, Repairman Jack is essentially human, with all the human frailties and limitations.

What Jack lacks in supernatural gifts (found abundantly in Harry Dresden, Cal Leandros and Atticus Sullivan), he’s supposed
Mike
Apr 03, 2019 rated it liked it
This is, overall, an enjoyable book and Repairman Jack is an interesting character; one whom I intend to read more about. Published two decades ago the novel leans hard on issues stemming from Birtish colonialism so-much-so that I wish the Indian characters in the novel had been handled with a touch more subtlety; as-is that the Indian characters in the novel lean closer to charicature. It feels bad to knock a novel for the fact that the political issues it mires itself in are still prevelant to ...more
Elaine Lawson
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Surely is an action-packed, creepy story. Highly imaginative storyline and monsters. Wilson had me wondering if such things really ever existed, as in an ancient religion. Repairman Jack is like the Everready Bunny; no matter how torn up and broken, he gets back up and goes back into attack mode! I liked the character of little 7-year-old Vicky, too. Not sure that I'll move right on to the sequel, but I'll probably come back for more soon.
Kristen
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was my first - and THE first - Repairman Jack book, and I really enjoyed it. Well written and super-exciting.

Repairman Jack isn't your average repairman. He doesn't fix appliances or broken fences. He "fixes" things for people who can't, or won't go to the regular authorities for help with problems. Jack is the last resort for people who are desperate for help and have nowhere else to go.

Jack doesn't exist as far as the "normal" world is concerned. He doesn't have a bank account, a social
David Agranoff
The Tomb By F.Paul Wilson (Repairman Jack book #1, Adversary cycle #3)
*****
448 pages
Tor books
So here is folks, were starting a journey here. Little personal background before I start this review. February 2010 I took a workshop for novelists called Borderlands. There was an author who taught apart of the workshop on “plotting” named F.Paul Wilson. I was already a fan thanks to Wilson’s classic horror novel “The Keep.” The reason he is teaching plotting is clear and this novel the Tomb is a good
Eric Bauman
Oct 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2011
This is a re-read. To give you an idea of my opinion of the book, I have read this book a few times already. As I was going through it again this time, the last ninety pages of the book came out of the binding as a chunk and landed on the table. So I downloaded the book for my eReader and finished it that way (I couldn’t wait for it to be delivered to me and Barnes & Noble, while sort of close, isn’t really convenient).

This is the first book of the “Repairman Jack” series and the second book in
Nancy Oakes
Feb 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
This book is the second in Wilson's "Adversary Cycle."

I wasn't sure what to expect when I started this but it was really really fun!!! I really enjoyed the story. Here you have to look past character development, believable plotline, depth and range of evoked emotion....etc etc...and just have some fun with it and let yourself go.

The story line is something along these lines:

"Repairman" Jack is a man with no legal identity...no SSN, no car, no license, no nothing. He is much like the Equalizer,

• Infernal Night: Michael Quinn vs. Repairman Jack (Cafferty and Quinn, #2.5)
  • The Wild Storm, Vol. 4
  • The Grendel's Shadow
  • The Nest
  • Fix (Codename: Chandler)
  • Habeas Corpse
  • Live Girls (Davey Owen #1)
  • Too Many Magicians (Lord Darcy, #2)
  • Tiny Crimes: Very Short Tales of Mystery and Murder
  • N-Space
  • Mine!: A Comics Collection to Benefit Planned Parenthood
  • The Story and Its Writer: An Introduction to Short Fiction
  • Winning Westeros: How Game of Thrones Explains Modern Military Conflict
  • Deceived (Hannah Smith, #2)
  • The Sheriff: A post-apocalyptic sci-fi western (Sheriff Duke Book 1)
  • Strange Medicine: A Shocking History of Real Medical Practices Through the Ages
  • Down Among the Dead (The Farian War #2)
  • The Bourne Trilogy (Jason Bourne, #1-3)
Francis Paul Wilson is an author, born in Jersey City, New Jersey. He writes novels and short stories primarily in the science fiction and horror genres. His debut novel was Healer (1976). Wilson is also a part-time practicing family physician. He made his first sales in 1970 to Analog and continued to write science fiction throughout the seventies. In 1981 he ventured into the horror genre with t ...more

Repairman Jack (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Legacies  (Repairman Jack, #2)
  • Conspiracies (Repairman Jack, #3)
  • All the Rage (Repairman Jack, #4)
  • Hosts (Repairman Jack, #5)
  • The Haunted Air (Repairman Jack, #6)
  • Gateways (Repairman Jack, #7)
  • Crisscross (Repairman Jack, #8)
  • Infernal (Repairman Jack, #9)
  • Harbingers (Repairman Jack, #10)
  • Bloodline (Repairman Jack, #11)